Dragon*Con 2002 Discussion Thread

A zany geek soap opera full of bizarre characters, a sentient slime mold or two, and more jokes than you can shake a 10Base-T networking card at.

Moderators: stjen, Lady_Phoenix, jtdarlington, MaxJenius, kmd

Would you like to have a GPF get-together at Dragon*Con 2002?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 30, 2002 12:46 pm

Yes, I'll be there and would like to have a GPF function!
6%
Sorry, but I'm afraid I won't be able to make it to Dragon*Con 2002.
94%

Total votes : 17

Dragon*Con 2002 Discussion Thread

Postby jtdarlington on Tue Apr 16, 2002 5:30 am

Well, gang, I finally heard back from the Dragon*Con guest services people and I finally have my application. This greatly steps up the chances that I'll be able to attend this year, thus keeping my promise to make up for missing it in 2001. :grin: (Dragon*Con, for those who don't know, is the large sci-fi/fantasy/comics convention held annually in Atlanta, GA, USA. It usually attracts as many as 30,000 people. This year it will be held August 30 through September 2 (Labor Day weekend).)

I have the option on the form to request a fan table. Fan tables "are for the promotion of non-commercial purposes such as conventions and fan groups." Sluggy Freelance has had a very successful fan table in the past and will likely have one again this year. The tables are pretty small (six feet long) and probably won't have electricity unless we bring along extention cords.

Here are the questions:

<OL><LI>Do you think there will be enough Faulties present at Dragon*Con this year to warrant applying for a fan table?

<LI>If so, are there Faulties out there who might be willing to man the table if we get one? (Odds are I won't be able to man it myself, but I'd definitely be moving back and forth between it and the Plan Nine booth.)</OL><P>

It's no big loss if we don't have the volunteers or we just can't get the table. (They refuse to guarantee tables and they are first come, first serve.) I will be at the Plan Nine booth full-time if the fan table doesn't materialize. Still, I just want to get a feeling of what you guys think and if there's enough demand to put in the request.

(BTW, we've also received our confirmation for Comic Con International in San Diego, CA, August 1-4. Current plans are for us to be running between the Keenspot and Plan Nine booths the entire time. Keep checking the Shows & Cons page for con updates.)
Last edited by jtdarlington on Fri Sep 06, 2002 6:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
http://www.gpf-comics.com/
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Location: The Thirteenth Dimension of the Infinite Rotunda of Eternity

Postby MaxJenius on Tue Apr 16, 2002 8:53 am

On 2002-04-16 06:30, jtdarlington wrote:

<OL><LI>Do you think there will be enough Faulties present at Dragon*Con this year to warrant applying for a fan table?

<LI>If so, are there Faulties out there who might be willing to man the table if we get one? (Odds are I won't be able to man it myself, but I'd definitely be moving back and forth between it and the Plan Nine booth.)</OL><P>

Yo! Count one Faultie who will be there!

Like I said in the past, I actually work at DC, and during my time off, I'd love to man the booth. ^_^
MaxJenius
Keenspot Despot

Postby mbluesman on Fri Apr 26, 2002 4:22 am

My wife and I will be there, and I'd be happy to take some shifts.

It should be a great time!

Matt
mbluesman
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby jtdarlington on Thu May 23, 2002 12:57 pm

Okay... let's see what this new forum can do. I've modified this thread somewhat, so it's no longer about fan tables. Unforutnately, there didn't seem to be much response it the topic (although that could have just been because the forums were down so much) so I had to submit my application without the request.

However, I've set up a poll to find out if you guys are interested in putting together some sort of GPF-related function at Dragon*Con this year. As an example, back in 2000, the Sluggy Freelance crew had a dinner (which was quite delicious, IIRC). We could do something like that or related. It doesn't have to be very formal... it could be as simple as deciding on a place to meet where you guys have complete unlimited access to me so we can talk, sit back, and maybe even relax a little. Or it can be as elaborate as our wallets and purses allow.

Please take a moment to take the poll, and let me know if you're interested or not. If you're not going, either don't take the poll or mark the appropriate response. The poll will close by the end of June.

Thanks in advance for the info!
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby Limax on Thu May 23, 2002 2:05 pm

I won't be able to attend since it's on the wrong coast. :( Some day I'd like to be able to do such things.
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

A salted slug gathers no moss.

This post is brought to you by the number 6.
Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

*Sigh*

Postby Spark05 on Fri May 24, 2002 7:54 pm

I'd love to go, but I live in Bethlehem, Pa (most of you probably never heard of the place) anyway, it is a bit far upnorth from Atlanta. I could beg my parents to drive me, but it is an 8-hour trip. I could take train, but my parents think I already spend too much time on the comp. Sry. :( :(
"Pshycos don't explode when sunlight hits them! I don't care how crazy they are!" -Seth Gecko, From Dusk Till Dawn

"Well, would you describe yourself as completely fire resistant... or just extremely fire resistant?" -Gordon Frohman, Concerned

Spark05
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Dragon*Con

Postby helva834 on Sat May 25, 2002 3:54 am

:-? How does one reply to the poll at the top?

Anyrate I will be unable to make it to the Con :cry: I'm in Baltimore and August 30th is when I need to move into my dorm (yay freshmen at college :D )
helva834
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: Dragon*Con

Postby jtdarlington on Sat May 25, 2002 4:55 am

Spark05 wrote:I'd love to go, but I live in Bethlehem, Pa (most of you probably never heard of the place)...

Actually, one of my coworkers lives there. He works with our team remotely, so I have a pretty good idea where you are. :)

helva834 wrote::-? How does one reply to the poll at the top?

Click on one of the radio buttons to make a choice, then click the "Submit Vote" button. You're only allowed to vote once; once you've submitted your vote, you'll only see the results when you view this topic.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby helva834 on Sat May 25, 2002 9:57 am

what's a radio button and what does it look like?
helva834
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby yearginsm on Sat May 25, 2002 4:21 pm

( ) <-- Like this!
Stephen Yeargin
yearginsm
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby NotoriousMEQ on Sat May 25, 2002 8:52 pm

I'm a native atlantean, and i'll be having three or so online cartoonists bunking with me for dragon*con and i know at least three of us are hard core gpf follwers, so we'll be sure to bother you a LOT, Jeff. A dinner we can do, but I have no idea waht we're planning to do during the con. This is all so far in the future! I have to get through comic con and otakon first!
NotoriousMEQ
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby MaxJenius on Mon May 27, 2002 9:45 pm

NotoriousMEQ wrote:I'm a native atlantean, and i'll be having three or so online cartoonists bunking with me for dragon*con and i know at least three of us are hard core gpf follwers, so we'll be sure to bother you a LOT, Jeff. A dinner we can do, but I have no idea waht we're planning to do during the con. This is all so far in the future! I have to get through comic con and otakon first!

Ah!!! Kewl... someone else besides me will be there. ^_^ I was beginning to worry.

I'm working security at DC... ^_^
MaxJenius
Keenspot Despot

Postby jtdarlington on Tue May 28, 2002 9:14 am

Limax wrote:I won't be able to attend since it's on the wrong coast. :( Some day I'd like to be able to do such things.

Don't forget, there's always Comic-Con International in San Diego, August 1-4. It's still a far drive for you if I'm reading MapQuest correctly (about 460 miles, or about a 8 hour drive), but it's still a lot closer than Atlanta. :-?

(Of course, if I paid attention to other threads, I'd notice you have prior commitments for that weekend, so feel free to give me fifty lashes with a wet noodle.)

NotoriousMEQ wrote:A dinner we can do, but I have no idea waht we're planning to do during the con. This is all so far in the future! I have to get through comic con and otakon first!

It's closer than you might think, Notorious. It's only about three months, and that's when hotels start filling up. (Which reminds me... I still need to get a hotel room myself!) We still have time, of course... depending on the number of people interested, we have some planning leeway. If we have 50 to 100 people, we need to make formal plans; if it only ends up being ten or twelve (or less), we can put off making plans until the day before.

MaxJenius wrote:I'm working security at DC... ^_^

And now we know who to bribe when we need something... ;)
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

hmmmm.......

Postby kormoc on Tue May 28, 2002 8:00 pm

First:
Spark05 How old are you? My friend and I am thinking of heading down and we live in Lancaster pz, Not far. If we go, we might be able to give you a ride.

Second:
How much does it cost to get in? Is there a single price for the entire con or is it free or what?

Thanks
kormoc
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: hmmmm.......

Postby jtdarlington on Wed May 29, 2002 2:56 am

kormoc wrote:How much does it cost to get in? Is there a single price for the entire con or is it free or what?

http://www.dragoncon.org/member/index.html:

$60 until July 15th; $75 thereafter and at-the-door beginning August 30th. Group Memberships are discounted $5 per Membership when 10 or more are purchased in advance at one time.

The registration form is here: http://www.dragoncon.org/member/dc2002reg.pdf
Mail it to: Dragon*Con, P.O. BOX 16459, Atlanta, GA 30321-9998

Or... use a Visa or MasterCard by calling their office at (770) 909-0115.

Or... you can actually pay for individual memberships through PayPal (but I can't copy that information from here, so you'll have to go to the first link above to do that).

Dragon*Con membership covers all four days, all panels, workshops, events, demonstrations, concerts, performances, contests, and a host of other activities. The only things not covered in your membership fee are the Guest of Honor Banquet, most Tournament Gaming sessions, materials costs (for a few workshops), and certain autographs (at the sole discretion of the autographer; mostly screen stars).
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby Spark05 on Fri May 31, 2002 8:21 pm

Thanks for the offer, but I won't be able to make it to dragon con anyway. I am busy that week. :(
"Pshycos don't explode when sunlight hits them! I don't care how crazy they are!" -Seth Gecko, From Dusk Till Dawn

"Well, would you describe yourself as completely fire resistant... or just extremely fire resistant?" -Gordon Frohman, Concerned

Spark05
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Rhi on Mon Jun 03, 2002 10:38 pm

*cries* why couldn't y'all have been at Marcon a couple of weeks ago? Unfortunately, I'm broke and out of frequent flyer miles, so there will be no other con-ning for me this season. :evil:
<I>How I long to fall just a little bit,
to dance out of the lines and stray from the light,
But I fear that to fall in love with you
is to fall from a great and gruesome height</I>
Rhi
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby jtdarlington on Tue Jun 04, 2002 2:54 am

Given the huge number of cons large and small out there, it's impossible to attend them all. :-? Unfortunately, I've never heard of this particular con until now, Rhi. On top of that, I have to schedule appearances around my feeble vacation allowances, since that's the only times I can get away from the day job. However, we have picked up more cons this year than in years past, and we're going to both of the really big cons, Comic-Con and Dragon*Con (which are even in the same month!). If you can give me enough advance warning for next year's Marcon, I might be able to schedule some time for it.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby Rhi on Tue Jun 04, 2002 8:07 am

*points to their website in her previous post* three hundred fifty some days now? :-P it's always over Labor Day weekend, I believe, and as a general rule, it's the regional con that midwesterners attend when they can't get enough time off work/dinero together for dragoncon.

all the info you need/folks you need to get in touch with should be on the site, if you poke around a bit.

hope you decide it's worth the trip! :-)
Rhi
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby jtdarlington on Tue Jun 04, 2002 8:27 am

Labor Day Weekend, eh? Hmm... that's rough. Dragon*Con has pretty much claimed that weekend the past couple years, and given that Plan Nine usually makes some of its biggest con sales there, convincing them to go to a smaller con instead might prove difficult. I'll see what I can do, Rhi, but I'll make no promises. On one hand, smaller cons are a much more relaxed and intimate, which I like; on the other, big cons tend to help pay the bills better. :-?
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby Rhi on Tue Jun 04, 2002 11:48 am

okay, wait a minute, dragoncon hasn't happened yet, I thought? but marcon has...*blinks and hurts brain*

I think I have Labor Day and Memorial Day backwards.

:oops:
Rhi
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Petie123 on Mon Jul 01, 2002 8:41 pm

I'm going to be there, seeing as Meaghan and Frank were so gracious as to offer me a place to crash. I can't wait to say hey, Jeff!
Petie123
Junior Keenspotter

Postby jtdarlington on Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:13 am

Rhi wrote:okay, wait a minute, dragoncon hasn't happened yet, I thought? but marcon has...*blinks and hurts brain* I think I have Labor Day and Memorial Day backwards. :oops:

Sure enough, you did get them switched. And since it's pretty obvious I never went about confirming that, I should throw up a :oops: smiley too. (I did go to their site when you first linked to it, but I think it hadn't been updated since the con a few weeks before. However, it's been updated since then, and the new dates (May 23-25, 2003) are up.)

I'll mark my calendar and do some research. I hate begging for invites from cons, though... I never feel comfortable writing someone and telling them to invite me to something. :-? Of course, if someone who's been there wrote the guest representative and suggested me as a future guest... ;)

Petie123 wrote:I'm going to be there, seeing as Meaghan and Frank were so gracious as to offer me a place to crash. I can't wait to say hey, Jeff!

Great, Petie! Hope to see you there. :D
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Postby Spark05 on Sat Jul 13, 2002 11:20 pm

I wish I could go to the Con. I can't, for various reasons:

1. All the hotels are sure to be booked by now.
2. It costs too much money for transportation
3. no one but me is interested in it. :(

Spark05
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby MaxJenius on Sat Aug 03, 2002 9:28 pm

Okay... less then 4 weeks left before D*C!

Time to make some suggestions on what to go to...

I suggest the Saturday Night, Rocky Horror showing.

The best of the three Atlanta casts, (they do an all-star kinda thingy, where different members will play the same character, on different scenes.) combine their talents to put on the show.

Casts (no particular order)
N9: (Nonoxial-9, the spermicide)
LPP: (Lamda Psi, Phi) emerged from the ashes of Lipsync
LDOD: (Lips Down On Dixie)

I myself am a member of both N9 & LPP... I only do lights, but I'm unlikely to do any of that during D*C...
MaxJenius
Keenspot Despot

Next

Return to General Protection Fault