Swancon 2003: Photos in!

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

Swancon 2003: Photos in!

Postby GrassyNoel on Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:31 pm

Swancon starts (for me) in 40 minutes - I'll post any news, and eventually photos, here.

cheers
GN
Last edited by GrassyNoel on Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Fri Apr 18, 2003 6:05 pm

hey cool! You need to tell us if you get a "Deirdre" while there!

And I wanna see pics! I've never been to a con before!
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby GrassyNoel on Sat Apr 19, 2003 9:28 am

GrassyNoel wrote:
Doctor Emmit Brown wrote:hey cool! You need to tell us if you get a "Deirdre" while there!
There is actually one girl I saw a few times around the place who looks promising. She seemed unaccompanied too - if so I must try to put an end to that sad fact.

Damn - I hit edit instead of quote, now my Saturday am report is gone.
Swancon: Saturday pm

Heh - you can almost guess the sequel to this can't you:

The reason she was wandering around alone all day was that her boyfriend is on the committee. F*ck!! - pardon my Freedom.

There were a couple of other possibilities, but by the time I saw them it was masquerade time, and the music was too loud to make myself heard, felt just like a nightclub, which I don't like. The theme for the costume contest was 'Hell'. There were a lot of Goths-for-a-day, especially amongst the ladies. One was wearing a gaffa-tape bra, another had nothing but black bodypaint on her upper half - "Comes off if you really rub it hard under the shower," she told me.

Discworld fans: there was a Nanny Ogg, with Greebo in arms, who was played by a cute little stuffed kitten. I said to her that Greebo was supposed to be a big foul-smelling ball of death, and she replied, "He's been ill." The biggest laugh for me was the Granny Weatherwax, a skinny bloke in a witch's get-up lying on the floor throughout the costume contest, with a sign on "her" chest: "I ATE'NT DEAD."

A young boy dressed as Legolas won one of the 9 prize packs. The major prize was won by a couple, she dressed as a dominatrix with riding crop, leading him around on a leash. Upon a smart tap with the whip, he would hand a random bystander one of her business cards.

My choice was a man in a self-made full-body Cthulu suit, but the judges were unenlightened.

The music during the observation phase of the contest was mainly '80s stuff, in keeping with the 'Hell' theme of the contest.

Beforehand, I watched the last bit of Episode 4.01 of Farscape, which was really good. I normally don't get to watch Farscape because I'm at work when it's on. I should make an effort to tape it. As filler in between DVDs, there were Looney Tunes cartoons on. Can't go wrong with them.

I met a bloke who had come all the way from Sydney for Swancon, and because he'd never been to Perth before anyway. Sydney's SF fanscene is fragmented into several clubs, instead of one big one as in Perth. This means that there are several annual cons over there, each of which is smaller than Swancon, despite Sydney's size. So, Swancon and its Melbourne counterpart are the biggest cons in Australia, and Swancon hosts the national SF awards ceremony too, I think it's tomorrow.

I also bumped into a bloke I went to uni with and hadn't seen for 16 years. Earlier in the day I bought a T-shirt (to replace natural attrition, not because I'm a witless fanboy) and six collections of short SF stories by Australian authors.
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby GrassyNoel on Sun Apr 20, 2003 11:39 am

Sunday

Today was excellent, even though I missed half of it through sleeping in. I went to a panel on 'Who are the top ten cartoon characters of all time'. The Tick won. I'd never even heard of the Tick, but out of the initial list of 60 there were a lot that I didn't recognise. Happily, none of the top ten was a Disney product. Also happily, Danger Mouse, Bananaman and Foghorn Leghorn made the final list.

Later there was a panel on 'How to date a fan', which I just had to go to. It was run by two girls, one of whom married a fan. Anna, my secret Spanish admiree (not the same girl I mentioned yesterday) was also there. She's really yummy, but too young. Her loss. Anyway, the first piece of advice the panel had for us fanboys was: BATHE. I asked what should a guy ask for first, phone number or ICQ number.

I went home for dinner and came back to watch some DVDs. They were:

1. Tremors, Episode 1: A giant worm is terrorising Perfection, Arizona. But it's an endangered species and can't be fragged. Execrable. Utter crap. But funny because of it. Cast includes Alex P. Keaton's dad, and Mrs Kotter.

2. The Tick (live-action series), Episode 1: This was superb, and hilarious. I am in awe of it. Never seen the original animated series though.

3. Firefly (pilot): Joss Whedon's short-lived but enormously popular series about a band of renegades on a beaten-up old cargo spaceship. A lot of fun. Plus there is a character with a familiar-sounding name in it. I heard the name and vowed to search the IMDb for the spelling - but it's on screen about half-way through. Her name is Ceilidh, but they spell it Kaylee. Weird. Anyone know why it was cancelled after only 11 episodes?

Wash (as first dinosaur): Yes...this is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... this land.
Wash (as second dinosaur): I think we should call it your grave!
Wash (as first dinosaur): Ah! Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
Wash (as second dinosaur): Hahaha! Mine is an evil laugh!

I might add that Jewel Staite, who played Kaylee, is hot. And Canadian. I recognised that from her accent, even though she doesn't say 'aboot'.

4. John Doe, episode 1: A naked man is rescued by Cambodian fishermen off the coast of Seattle. He knows almost every fact on Earth, except his own name. Idiot savant, alien, demon, or god? Really really good. Can't imagine what the rest of the series is like, as the cover is blown by the end of this first episode.

That's it for me at Swancon, I'm not registered for tomorrow. But I will be a full member next year, guarantee it.

cheers
GN
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby MarkusN on Sun Apr 20, 2003 12:33 pm

GrassyNoel wrote:The music during the observation phase of the contest was mainly '80s stuff, in keeping with the 'Hell' theme of the contest.

How do I read that? The music kept with the 'Hell" theme by being mainly '80s stuff, or the music was '80s stuff, subset 'hell'?
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby GrassyNoel on Sun Apr 20, 2003 12:41 pm

MarkusN wrote:How do I read that? The music kept with the 'Hell" theme by being mainly '80s stuff, or the music was '80s stuff, subset 'hell'?

'80s stuff that people love to hate.
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Sun Apr 20, 2003 4:55 pm

Sounds like you had a good time! When do we get to see pics?

And is the Dierdre lookalike in one of the pictures? :D
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby GrassyNoel on Sun Apr 20, 2003 5:32 pm

I'm using a camera that takes what is called "35mm colour print film", which has to be "developed", I think it's known as, and then the "prints" have to be scanned in :)

I use a mail-order film processor who does the scanning for me and puts the pics on their website for me to download. Then the prints come in the mail. All this will take at least a week, maybe two, as there is another long weekend coming up.

PS She wasn't a lookalike but I think there is a picture somewhere.
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Galvatron56 on Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:36 pm

GrassyNoel wrote:I use a mail-order film processor who does the scanning for me and puts the pics on their website for me to download. Then the prints come in the mail. All this will take at least a week, maybe two, as there is another long weekend coming up.

Don't know who you use to process film, but here in the U.S., at least, if you get your film developed at a Kodak or Fujifilm processing center you have the option of either getting your photos scanned and put on the internet or scanned and burned to CD-ROM. (Wow, that was a run-on sentence.)

You can have the film developer at your local grocery store send your photos off to the local Kodak center for development and scanning. Turn around time is about 3 days. Might want to check it out.

It worked out pretty well for me. Of course, it does cost more than regular developing. I figure that once I spend more than the cost of a good digital camera on the service, I will just buy a digital camera.

The pictures on CD-ROM seem to be scanned at a higher resolution than their internet counterparts, but cost a dollar or so more. I tried both systems, and found I liked getting photos scanned onto CD-ROM a little better.
"you're being daft and engaging in a bunch of nonsensical hand waving."
Galvatron56
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Galvatron56 on Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:57 pm

GrassyNoel wrote:1. Tremors, Episode 1: A giant worm is terrorising Perfection, Arizona. But it's an endangered species and can't be fragged. Execrable. Utter crap. But funny because of it. Cast includes Alex P. Keaton's dad, and Mrs Kotter.

I loved the movie. It was grade-a cheese sci-fi with Kevin Bacon, Fred Ward, and Michael Gross (Alex's Dad).

GrassyNoel wrote:2. The Tick (live-action series), Episode 1: This was superb, and hilarious. I am in awe of it. Never seen the original animated series though.

It was originally a black and white comic by Ben Edlund (published by New England Comics) back in the 1980's. They would probably be easier to get ahold of than the animated TV series, since I don't think that FOX ever released more than a few random episodes on video tape.

I agree with the bathing part wholeheartedly. Do that as well as refrain from wearing the same costume all 3 days of the con, and things should go much better.
Galvatron56
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GrassyNoel on Sun Apr 20, 2003 11:16 pm

Oh, I only wore the AHS uniform on Saturday. Yesterday a Las Vegas t-shirt and jeans. And I showered every day :)
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby MarkusN on Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:13 am

GrassyNoel wrote:SundayLater there was a panel on 'How to date a fan', which I just had to go to. It was run by two girls, one of whom married a fan. Anna, my secret Spanish admiree (not the same girl I mentioned yesterday) was also there. She's really yummy, but too young. Her loss. Anyway, the first piece of advice the panel had for us fanboys was: BATHE.

It would seem those girls have experience with some hardcore geeks. I know I have met the type.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Galvatron56 on Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:20 am

Outstanding! :P
Galvatron56
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Cholma on Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:21 am

GrassyNoel wrote:3. Firefly (pilot): ...Anyone know why it was cancelled after only 11 episodes?

4. John Doe, episode 1: A naked man is rescued by Cambodian fishermen off the coast of Seattle. He knows almost every fact on Earth, except his own name. Idiot savant, alien, demon, or god? Really really good. Can't imagine what the rest of the series is like, as the cover is blown by the end of this first episode.

Firefly: Loved that show. My understanding is that the studio thought it was "too cerebral". Turns out that what was aired as the pilot... isn't. The last episode that actually aired was the original 2 hour pilot which shows how most of the crew come together. (turns out Kaylee was having sex with the original Engineer who was a slacker. When she pointed out how to fix a problem he couldn't recognize, Mal fired him and hired her!)

John Doe: With Farscape's demise, this is now the best show on TV. Each episode gets better. Not sure what you mean by cover being blown, since we still don't know what the mysterious organization is or John Doe really is/was. Intriguing use of colorblindedness. This show really surprised me when they killed off a member of the regular cast; something most shows won't do. The season finale in Chicago is on this coming Friday (4/25).
Support our troops by donating to the USO: http://www.uso.org/pubs/8_18_23.cfm
Cholma
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GrassyNoel on Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:29 am

Cholma wrote:Firefly: The last episode that actually aired was the original 2 hour pilot which shows how most of the crew come together. (turns out Kaylee was having sex with the original Engineer who was a slacker. When she pointed out how to fix a problem he couldn't recognize, Mal fired him and hired her!)
Yeah, that was the one I saw. I thought Shepherd Book looked like James Earl Jones' dad, then I searched and found out that Robertearl Jones is 91. duh :)

Cholma wrote:John Doe: With Farscape's demise, this is now the best show on TV. Each episode gets better. Not sure what you mean by cover being blown, since we still don't know what the mysterious organization is or John Doe really is/was.
Hm, gotta have another look somehow.

Thanks
GN
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Cholma on Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:58 pm

GrassyNoel wrote:I thought Shepherd Book looked like James Earl Jones' dad, then I searched and found out that Robertearl Jones is 91. duh :)

Heh. If they ever aired Barney Miller in Oz, (aired in the USA 1975-82) then you might recognize the good shepherd as Detective Ron Harris. I was happy to see him again but now that the show's canceled...
Support our troops by donating to the USO: http://www.uso.org/pubs/8_18_23.cfm
Cholma
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby RJ Shep on Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:40 pm

GrassyNoel wrote: 1. Tremors, Episode 1: A giant worm is terrorising Perfection, Arizona. But it's an endangered species and can't be fragged. Execrable. Utter crap. But funny because of it. Cast includes Alex P. Keaton's dad, and Mrs Kotter.

Do you mean the movie, w/ Kevin Bacon, or the TV series I've seen ads for? I really liked the movie, in the same way I enjoyed "Independence Day" and "Battlefield Earth"
RJ Shep
Keenspot Despot

Postby GrassyNoel on Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:07 pm

I'm pretty sure it wasn't the movie. I don't remember seeing Kevin Bacon in it. But Michael Gross and Marcia Strassmann were there.
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby GrassyNoel on Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:13 am

Another thing that happened at Swancon - all 12 Avalon flyers I printed and placed on the dirtsheet table on Saturday morning were gone by Saturday afternoon. I hope they were taken by prospective readers, and not confiscated by the organisers, as I didn't ask anyone's permission to put them next to all the others.
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Darth Paradox on Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:41 am

They weren't confiscated. Anyone who damn well feels like it puts their flyers there. That's my favorite place for Scatterplot promotion, as well.
Darth Paradox
Christopher Battey, CI
Scatterplot - a thrice-weekly webcomic. College == chaos && chaos == fun.
Darth Paradox
Keenspot Despot

Postby GrassyNoel on Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:04 am

Must be a good thing then.

Next time I'll come better prepared with stuff on all my favourites - including Scatterplot, natch.
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby GrassyNoel on Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:12 am

<columbo>There's just one more thing</columbo>

DP's just reminded me because he has one too:

I saw a LEGO Imperial Star Destroyer there. That is a big bastard.
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Sanna on Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:11 pm

[quote=GrassyNoel]
I went to a panel on 'Who are the top ten cartoon characters of all time'. The Tick won. [/quote]

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaha

you made my roommate's day. this in turn amused me.
life is pain. anyone who tells you otherwise is selling something. -- great pirate roberts.

anyone who tells you life is pain is a worse pessimist than i am. and that's hard to be, when i'm in a bad mood.
life is beautiful. anyone who tells you otherwise is stealing something.

... steal it back.
Sanna
Junior Keenspotter

Location: I sh ould know better than to try to be here. But of course i don't, and am.

Postby MarkusN on Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:26 pm

Sanna wrote:this in turn amused me.

Are you who I think you are?
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby GrassyNoel on Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:29 pm

Sanna wrote:
GrassyNoel wrote:I went to a panel on 'Who are the top ten cartoon characters of all time'. The Tick won.

you made my roommate's day. this in turn amused me.

Glad to be of service - and - welcome back!

MarkusN: Yes.

What in particular was so funny, Sanna:

1. The fact that there was a panel on 'Who are the top ten cartoon characters of all time';

2. The fact that I of all people went to that session; or

3. The fact that The Tick won?
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Next

Return to Avalon