Your Girlfriend's Indignation

A zany geek soap opera full of bizarre characters, a sentient slime mold or two, and more jokes than you can shake a 10Base-T networking card at.

Moderators: stjen, Lady_Phoenix, jtdarlington, MaxJenius, kmd

What should Nick say?

Poll ended at Sat Nov 16, 2002 3:23 am

I'm sure you could
50%
I understand
17%
Man, you're cute when you're mad
26%
Hey, you sound just like Trudy! Um, boy, what a coincidence!
7%

Total votes : 132

Your Girlfriend's Indignation

Postby jtdarlington on Fri Nov 15, 2002 3:23 am

So... what should Nick do? Vote about today's interactive strip!

(Sorry I didn't have this up earlier, but I forgot to post this last night.)
Last edited by jtdarlington on Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
http://www.gpf-comics.com/
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Location: The Thirteenth Dimension of the Infinite Rotunda of Eternity

Postby kirby1024 on Fri Nov 15, 2002 3:37 am

Jeff, if you can, it might be an idea to merge this thread with the one I made up before (the "What should Nick Do?" Thread).

No sense having two threads when one will do...
44 4F 20 4E 4F 54 20 42 45 20 41 4C 41 52 4D 45
44 21 20 54 68 69 73 20 69 73 20 61 20 72 61 6E
64 6F 6D 20 63 68 61 6E 67 65 20 69 6E 20 53 69
67 6E 61 74 75 72 65 2E 20 50 6C 65 61 73 65 20
63 6F 6E 74 69 6E 75 65 20 79 6F 75 72 20 72 65
61 64 69 6E 67 2E 2E 2E
kirby1024
Keenspotter Supreme

Umm...

Postby Disco PhoolCat on Fri Nov 15, 2002 3:37 am

Where's the 'None of the Above' option? I think any of these will get Nick a verbal disembowelment...

Oh, I'll have to go for 1) then!
IF YOU ONLY KNEW THE POWER OF THE DAFT SIDE!!!
Disco PhoolCat
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: Ummm

Postby ConfusedOO on Fri Nov 15, 2002 3:43 am

Uh, I'm going to have to agree with the kitty. There ain't no such thing as a right answer. Of course you couldn't *say* that to Ki, but there's definitely a wrong answer, and all of those answers are wrong.

Andrew
ConfusedOO
Keenspotter Supreme

Slaw

Postby Disco PhoolCat on Fri Nov 15, 2002 5:03 am

...or I'd go for 5) "Hey Ki, look at all this CHOCOLATE I found behind the couch!"
You see, a good relationship is based on forward planning to avoid those explosive pitfalls...
Disco PhoolCat
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby showler on Fri Nov 15, 2002 5:07 am

I would have said "Hey look, Firefly's on!" then quickly changed the channel.
No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were terribly inconvenienced." - anonymous

"Please. I have had too much of the stupid today. Please wait until tomorrow to say these things so my tolerance has refreshed." - Umya New Gold Dreams
showler
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby dunam on Fri Nov 15, 2002 5:26 am

none of you people watched 'white men can't jump'? "I understand" works in many sweat breaking situations!

"Somebody should defuse that bomb!"
"I understand"

"Do these jeans make me look fat?"
"I understand"

okay maybe not, but it was worth a shot! ;)
dunam
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby mobilene on Fri Nov 15, 2002 5:27 am

This is truly one of those situations where, because you just can't identify with what your GF is thinking or feeling, you lose simply by being in the room!

jim
mobilene
Keenspotter Supreme

you are all amatuers

Postby redoulent on Fri Nov 15, 2002 5:36 am

The correct answer is "What would you change". Then compliment her brilliance, but don't over do the compliment.

For "Do these jeans make me look fat": "Well, I want to rip them off of you, and it isn't because they make you look fat..." Then drool a little

or "Multiple parts of my body are applauding"

or, take everything out of your pockets and say "see, I'm happy to see you in those pants!"
redoulent
Junior Keenspotter

No, Kirby1024, I am not alarmed...

Postby JMoon5FTM on Fri Nov 15, 2002 6:51 am

...and I think redoulent has some pretty nice answers. Remind me to contact you should my girlfriend ever become interested in censorship in China.

55 4D 20 47 50 46 20 49 53 20 43 4F 4F 4C
JMoon5FTM has caused an invalid page fault in module REALLIFE and must be terminated. Please close all running programs and reboot the universe.
JMoon5FTM
Junior Keenspotter

Re: you are all amatuers

Postby Haesslich on Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:14 am

redoulent wrote:The correct answer is "What would you change". Then compliment her brilliance, but don't over do the compliment.

For "Do these jeans make me look fat": "Well, I want to rip them off of you, and it isn't because they make you look fat..." Then drool a little

or "Multiple parts of my body are applauding"

or, take everything out of your pockets and say "see, I'm happy to see you in those pants!"

Except your answer wouldn't be half as funny as Nick getting whacked across the head for one of those answers. :D It's the RIGHT answer, but those aren't as funny as the wrong answers listed above.

Ah well... let's hope he doesn't compare her to Trudy.
Haesslich
Keenspot Despot

Postby Alfador on Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:28 am

Personally, I think that, were he driven to choose one of the four, no less and no more, that "I understand" would be the least likely to get him thwacked.

But that's just me. :D
Three-tailed fox, in the house...Fox Den, that is!
Alfador
Keenspot Despot

Postby Limax on Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:46 am

Now, see... I went with choice #4 because I thought it would lead to the funniest conclusion. I mean... GPF is about funny, isn't it?

Um... okay. I'll go back and sit in my corner now...
.__ ___ __ _... ._ _

A salted slug gathers no moss.

This post is brought to you by the number 6.
Limax
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Disco PhoolCat on Fri Nov 15, 2002 9:07 am

redoulent wrote:For "Do these jeans make me look fat": "Well, I want to rip them off of you, and it isn't because they make you look fat..."

No. the correct answer is always - "No dear, it's your fat that makes you look fat". It works on my wife every time.

Do females have the same problem with us? Are there certain subjects & phrases they need to be careful with? Not wanting to get into stereotypes, does this apply to Football/Cars/Sports? I dunno, I may be male, but I'm not a Bloke, sorry.
Disco PhoolCat
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Calemyr on Fri Nov 15, 2002 9:15 am

I'm sorry, I can see how it can be taken multiple ways, but the "A" option just strikes me as playful rather than condescending. I mean, if Nick's imagination can place him in a spoof of Indiana Jones or Star Wars, just how hard would it be for him to imagine Ki as a Chinese ruler. It also strikes me as a nice opening for a fun hypothetical conversation.

Given that, however, I would have phrased it a little differently myself. "I don't doubt it. Heh. I can see it now..."

'Course, that's just me, and I'm certainly no expert.
Calemyr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Large Pokes & Prods

Postby [missing user#9] on Fri Nov 15, 2002 10:03 am

We interrupt your regularly scheduled topic for this public welcoming.

Wow - I don't think I've seen so many new GPF message board posters in one place. Okay, redoulent, JMoon5FTM, Haesslich, Alfador, and Disco PhoolCat - please stand still against that wall of used computer cases over there. I'm going to try to get all of you in one sweep.

deep breath . . .

Welcome to the GPF message board! (Bandages are available upon request.) :D

We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic, already in progress.
[missing user#9]
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

78 Stone Wobble

Postby Disco PhoolCat on Fri Nov 15, 2002 10:39 am

Ow! Yeah, thanks for that. Glad you did me last, my belly is still wobbling even now...

...imagine Dexter, but older, with less hair & a beard...
Disco PhoolCat
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby blondeGeek? on Fri Nov 15, 2002 10:59 am

Disco PhoolCat wrote:
redoulent wrote:For "Do these jeans make me look fat": "Well, I want to rip them off of you, and it isn't because they make you look fat..."

No. the correct answer is always - "No dear, it's your fat that makes you look fat". It works on my wife every time.

You mean you actually say things like that to your wife without getting smacked? Hmmmm....maybe I should have a talk with your wife.

I think redoulent should get top prize for best answer to the "Do these jeans make me look fat" question. As for this thread's poll, I liked "Man, you're cute when you're mad", but couldn't quite imagine Nick saying something like that to Ki when she's that mad, so I chose "I'm sure you could" because I'd have to agree with him.

Btw, Limax, love your new avatar! 8)
Geek Girls Rock!
blondeGeek?
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby mouse on Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:21 am

blondeGeek? wrote: As for this thread's poll, I liked "Man, you're cute when you're mad", but couldn't quite imagine Nick saying something like that to Ki when she's that mad

and that _close_ - he has, after all, seen her in action.

next time you should divide a poll like this into male and female respondents - would be interesting to see the differences, since i imagine the males would respond with what they think a woman would want to hear, and the females with what they themselves would like to hear.

i myself went with #1, because i always like to hear admissions of my superiority (delivered in a properly deferential voice).
mouse
Keenspot Deity

What he WILL do...

Postby Fei on Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:27 am

This is a comic... and therefore it's not what he SHOULD say to be a good boyfriend... but what he WILL say to make it a funny comic. :lol:
Fei
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Kanaeda Kuonji on Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:28 am

Hey, I decided to go with answer three. Kinda had to :) Nick could quietly acquiesce, or he could be with her.
Kanaeda Kuonji
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Rubber Biscuit on Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:36 am

mobilene wrote:This is truly one of those situations where, because you just can't identify with what your GF is thinking or feeling, you lose simply by being in the room!

jim

Do you mean to tell me that there is a way for a man to win when a woman is involved?

If a man is in a forest, talking, and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
Rubber Biscuit
Junior Keenspotter

Postby jtdarlington on Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:42 am

mouse wrote:next time you should divide a poll like this into male and female respondents - would be interesting to see the differences, since i imagine the males would respond with what they think a woman would want to hear, and the females with what they themselves would like to hear.

Definitely an interesting experiment, I would think, but I don't think any of us (myself, T Campbell, or Vince Suzukawa) thought that far ahead. (Heck, I forgot to even create the thread and make the strip link to it until this morning.)

As for the available choices, take that up with Mr. Campbell. This is one time I can honestly say I had nothing to do with it. :)
Jeff Darlington
General Protection Fault
http://www.gpf-comics.com/
jtdarlington
Extra-Dimensional Entity

Location: The Thirteenth Dimension of the Infinite Rotunda of Eternity

Postby Eidalac on Fri Nov 15, 2002 12:20 pm

Well....

1 & 3 ultimatly run the risk of being taken as condesending.

4, while potentialy a deep and meaninfull quip about the risks of thinking you can run things better than others, still runs a large risk of short term anger and emasculation.

2 is still potentialy condesending, but if said right has the largest chance of avoiding instant death.
Eidalac
Junior Keenspotter

Heh

Postby AmanuJaku on Fri Nov 15, 2002 12:44 pm

I don't think this should be the right answer, but I would find it amusing if number four ended up being the answer. Let's go for that one!
AmanuJaku
Keenspotter Supreme

Next

Return to General Protection Fault