Orphaned Game Ideas

Moderator: Thunt

Forum rules
Forum games go here.

Orphaned Game Ideas

Postby Haragorn on Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:15 pm

This is a thread for game ideas. If you have an idea for a game or story that you can't fully figure out, or don't think you'd be able to run successfully, put it here. If there's a game that you'd like somebody else to run so you can participate in it, put it here. You can put plans for entire games here, or as little as a cool dungeon or puzzle idea. Give as much or as little detail as you want. Feel free to steal as many ideas as you want. This thread can hopefully serve as inspiration for those who want to run a game but can't think of anything that hasn't been done. This can also serve as an outlet for those who don't have the time or energy to run a game of their own, but have awesome ideas.
Haragorn
Keenspot Despot

Re: Orphaned Game Ideas

Postby Dusk9 on Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:27 pm

Stealing an idea that vid put in the WSWFG forum, and re-posting it here:

Playing as owlbears being hunted by angry goblins.
Threads of Reality
Hears-Disembodied-Voices
Lvl 1 Berserker ~ Exp: 9/10 ~ HP: 6/6 ~ Atk: 4 (+1~Rage) ~ Def: 4 (+1~50%) (+1~Rage)
Traits: Automatic Combat Rage; Jekyll and Hyde
Tower Game
Dusk ~ Lvl 2 Wraith Rogue ~ Exp: 2/3 ~ Atk: 2 ~ DEX: 1/4 ~ CON 6 ~ HP: 2/8
Skills: Stealth (1DEX/turn); Sneak Attack; Detect Trap (1DEX, R2)
Lair of the Mountain King
Eaten-By-Rabbits ~ HP: 3/5 ~ Atk: 1 ~ Def: 1
Capture the Flag (CTF) ~ on hiatus
Runs-into-Hard-Surfaces ~ Lvl 8 Trainee Attacker ~ Exp: 46/52
Feats: Sprint Awareness 3; Improved Dodge 2; Nimble 1; Sprint Endurance 1
Dusk9
Keenspot Despot

Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown)

Postby LicentiousDey on Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:31 pm

I would tell you this idea for Magic The Questering, but it would spoil the surprise.

I also have a game in mind that involves a unique magic system that the players have to discover on their own. I can't spoil that either, but I can tell you the opening *throat clear*

In the beginning Ibn said:

And thus the universe was born.
“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

CunningStrategist, Lv6 Trainee Strategist

Feats: Cheer Range 3, Cheer Effect 3

Morze Thok
Hp:1/5
At:6 (+4 MAGIC Two-Handed Sword | 50% +2)
Df:4 (+3 Helm, +1 Jeans Outfit)
Inventory:
LicentiousDey
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby thinkslogically on Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:37 pm

Most of the games here base the goblins as the good guys (except clan rampage) and it would be cool to see more where evilness is rewarded (maybe some goblins really do want to murder everything....).

Also, more pvp games would be cool, especially if it was something a bit different like where e.g. team a plus their dm play against team b plus dm. Or even a single team n 2 competing dms or something. I don't know how it would work but could be a cool idea :-)
Turning points of data into beautiful lines since 2006

Running:
Lair of the Mountain King: Chapter One
Obsidian Portal Link (character info, inventories, monsters): http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/lair-of-the-mountain-king

Escape!: Open to All.

The Goblin Apprentices! - COMPLETE at Turn 50
thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Postby PicksUpSticks on Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:12 pm

I thought of this a while ago, it was a way to make a game with a set amount of players, but at the same time make it so anyone can join at any time and have a very real shot at playing. Pretty much goes like this.

Well thought out plot:

<An amount of time> ago, there was a goblin clan named <insert name> which was <believable plotline> and the majority were phased out of existence to <less believable plotline>. Only <Number of players> remained, and due to <magic> they all had adventuring levels, and when they earned experience everyone, even the phased, would get an equal share because <a wizard did it>.

There is a cure, but <excuse for being in the dungeon>. Those who were phased out however were unsure of their fate when the cure was found, so they <further reason for wanting to be in existence>.

Pretty much, they all want to be not phased out when the cure is found. They think those who are phased may die.

Rules:

Goblins have to sleep, the longer they go without it the weaker they become. The problem is when they finally do get to sleep they would be forced into an independent dream/coma fight against either:

A) a lurker created character (Easiest)
B) A lurker created character, in a trap/puzzle room (Second easiest, because I am an optimist)
C) A nightmare! (Difficult host created monster)

Sleep info:
The amount of time spent awake increases the difficulty of the encounter, and the odds of a nightmare. Previous encounters and real events can impact it as well.

Missing an update = Decide to take a nap

The penalties will remain mostly hidden, so min-maxing with math won't work much better than "feeling good about it"

If it is a trap room, the dreamer must attack the opponents position, failing to make an attempt to attack them will result in you being replaced.

When you fall asleep, a person is chosen and it is posted in the next update, the battle itself takes place over PM, in 1 turn. The entire sleeping process takes 3 turns.

One to declare sleep/not post
One to show the dream/opponent/room
One to show the results. The old/new player wakes up that turn and can move on the next.

Phased out players are equal level, but weaker due to <reason>. They have basic gear, scaled to level, but weaker than gear that can be found. Well rested characters will lose over time through persistence. Restless characters run a greater risk of upset.

When defeated in a dream, the winner takes over the body of the player. The gear I assigned in the dream phases in as well, non equipment items on the dreamer remain.

Nightmares can vary in consequences... Most of the time the dreamer is phased out for another player.

Who you fight in a dream is based on a dice roll of anyone who posts during the first turn of sleeping; if they don't have a character they must submit one with skill points chosen. Gear is my choice.

Death:

Death, is tricky...

Was leaning towards death is something that comes very easily. Traps that could one shot the stupid and so forth. However due to <that same wizard as before> they simply phase back out. A replacement phases in at the <begging of the room or checkpoint marker>.

Or make it harder to come by, but it results in the character permanently phasing out. They can re-roll, but it must be a new character and all found equipment is lost.

Loot:

Depends on death, but basic gear should be replaced fairly quickly.

That's about it.'

The End!
Threads of Reality
Picks The Plan - Goblin Warrior
Level 1
Tower Game
Zombie Picks Up Sticks - Zombie Shaman
Cantrips/Inflict - 1 | Debuff/Buff - 2 | Suggestion - 3
Clan Rampage
Breaks A Leg - Goblin Knee Basher
Alive and stupid.
Goblin Heroes- PicksUpSticks - Completed
PicksUpSticks
Keenspot Despot

Postby 5hoo on Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:28 pm

One idea I had, but don't have the time to make, and which would be entirely ruined by this post even being here was thus:

You join a guild of adventurers who go into a dungeon to do a set of quests. Every in game day you get a task given you and a time by which it must be completed. You must complete 20 tasks on time without dying and then exit whatever dungeon you're in to go up to the next rank as an adventurer (ie. level up), and there will be 5 or so tasks per dungeon; you may do a task then leave calling for another player to act as your replacement, or of course you can carry on until all the tasks are complete and you all get warped back by guild command. If anyone dies a replacement will be sent after the completion of the current task, though it may take some time for them to reach the dungeon. during the time between tasks the players can go off and explore at will, but must complete the tasks when set.

Failure to do so however is where my twist came into effect, so here come the spoiler tags.

SPOILERS:Ultimately the adventurers guild makes money from solving people's problems but have a clause that if a party dies they still get paid, and thus with a corrupt ruler who cares only for a money a simple form of insurance fraud comes into play: Kill the adventurers. A death squad is dispatched to eliminate the players, these will at first all be NPCs, however as people rank up it can be given to players as a task, which of course failure to complete will result in a death squad being dispatched. The death squads will all be one level up from the adventurers, though if the party survives the battle then their threat rank will go up, eventually after a lot of players dying and a little bit of people pooling together someone was bound to fight against the system which came to the end-game. After the Platinum Rank death squad is dispatched the rebels must charge upon the guild hall and take on the final dungeon and some very powerful super-bosses, and of course the rest of the adventurer's guild who have been detailed to defend their rooms for fear of the Magically Implemented Immediate Death Amulets placed upon their necks, thus leaving their room or joining the rebellion is not possible without the rebels working hard to allow it. Finally as the adventurer's guild topples the DM could then hand the rule to the rebellion to do with as they wish.

Of course giving away the plot there kinda ruins the surprise, but hey, I'm not gonna make it anyway.

Ranks go Iron, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond (NPC only) of course and the difficulty of the dungeons would increase with it.

I had a few dungeons and tasks mapped out basically as well, but doing all the art and editing, and making sure I could update regularly conflicted with my job and live gaming group so I decided against it. However, if someone wants to give it a go I'm sure you could change the name to something like 'dungeonauts guild' but less sucky and no-one will notice 'till someone actually fails a task..

I also had planned to use a class system where people could say any class they wanted to be (D&D or otherwise) and I (after possibly re-naming and editing it to something less over/underpowered) chose up a preferred weapon, special skill, improved stat, and/or armour bonus/penalties for them and increased it as they leveled up, but of course I didn't make the game, so that never happened.
5hoo
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Haragorn on Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:44 pm

You can tell people to PM for more info if they're interested in running the game. That way it's not here for just everyone.
Haragorn
Keenspot Despot

Postby LicentiousDey on Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:39 pm

That defeats the purpose of the forum!
I've always been better at writing than art, so i've always wanted to work together with an artist to make a picture style game.
“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

CunningStrategist, Lv6 Trainee Strategist

Feats: Cheer Range 3, Cheer Effect 3

Morze Thok
Hp:1/5
At:6 (+4 MAGIC Two-Handed Sword | 50% +2)
Df:4 (+3 Helm, +1 Jeans Outfit)
Inventory:
LicentiousDey
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LooksAndSmiles on Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:41 pm

I have a "pvp" (or more like: competition) game idea, but I can't find the time to DM it.

name: Agenda
type: pvp
# of players: any
DM job: little
format: text

The game is really simple. Every participant recieves an "agenda" or campaign list with 4-8 items, depending on the amount of players.
The winner is the first to complete his own mission.

The DM's role is to invent and verify said campaign, and control the turns. Each turn consists of 2-3 days, where the participants post. Someone who doesn't post at least 5 posts in a turn, gets an inactivity penalty (negative score). Completing an agenda point will be a score between 5-10, depending on the DM. Everything should be done in public posts in the thread, except when the players recieve their agenda in pm.

I have thought the agenda points along the line of this:

-make A tell a story about his neighbours.
-make C yell at B for something
-make B post in blue once
-make D write the word "onomatopeia"
-answer one question of every different participant
-find out an agenda point of player E.
-find out B's favourite meal.
-recieve a compliment for a well thought out pun
-persuade A to join another forum game
-make the current topic about the weather for 5 consecutive posts.

and so on...

The general idea is to have everyone chat with everyone, with the only perk that you don't know what is the reason behind it. This will be probably a long game and only interesting to the participants, but I think it has a certain thrill. Of course, if someone accomplishes a point it will be announced by the DM at the next turn, only to increase the tension.

---

What do you think? :)
LooksAndSmiles
Keenspot Despot

Postby MadBoat on Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:05 pm

in a link?

http://www.kongregate.com/games/Scarybug/chronotron

the forum version would be called THE CAVE OF TIME TRAVELING MAYHEM

so, like, you'd be playing in a magic cave, and the fatality rate would be ludicrously high with no free resurrections, but there'd be a magic portal that traveled you BACK IN TIME so that you could attempt to stop one of your buddies from walking into the deathtrap... and if you meet yourself... a new player joins the game, acting as the original version of your character! unfortunately, that would probably also cause a paradox! which awakens..... the PARADOX POLTERGEIST! who will SCARE YOU TO DEATH AND THEN EAT YOUR GHOST IN 2TURNS BWA HAHAHA. except there's only one of him... so if you cause a paradox while the poltergeist is otherwise occupied, you get away scott free. perhaps you can use this fact to find a way to escape the THE CAVE OF TIME TRAVELING MAYHEM.

steal this idea and do whatever you want with it. realistically, I'm never going to have time to do this.
Last Ditch Dungeon: Teller Hideous Mole SWEET GLORIOUS VICTORY!
Escape from Brassmoon: Sarus, Foe of the Floating Maw ESCAPED! WOOT!
Crappy Art Cave of Doom: Mops Up : DIED AT THE HEIGHT OF MY GLORY! HOW NOBLE!

Loot!:Herr Henry von HeffleHocken, Hobgoblin Hero
WND: 4
ATK 9: 1 (Hero) + 2 (mighty pen) + 6 (pipe of Badassery)
DEF 2: 0 (Hero) + 1 (Leprechaun Lamp) + 1 (Accounts Ledger)
FAB 14: 0 (Hero) + 4(Leprechaun Lamp) + 2 (mighty pen) + 6 (Accounts Ledger) + 2 (pipe of badassery)
Gear: s1: Leprechaun Lamp(Creates Rainbows! Creates light! 30% chance for Moar Lewt!)
s2: Pipe of Badassery (Makes you a badass! Also makes you talk like Helen Keller!)
s3 Accounts Ledger (Giant friggin' blank book! Very pretty! Contains Blank Paper Pages of Potential!"
s5: Mighty Pen( 5% chance to break swords! +1 Def against swords! Creates caligraphic characters on command!"
MadBoat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Haragorn on Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:10 pm

LicentiousDey wrote:That defeats the purpose of the forum!

I meant specifically for 5hoo's case, and similar. That is, there's stuff that shouldn't be here for the players to see. Put the rest of the stuff here, and, if somebody wants to DM it, they can PM and find out about the things the players shouldn't know.
Haragorn
Keenspot Despot

Postby ThroughTheWell on Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:42 pm

Hats 2 allows PVP. It is very free form. There are even ocasionaly benefits to PVP. Most everyone currently playing it is playing independently, but cooperation would help at times.

Hats 2 has lost a player (psychotic disappeared from the forums) and could use a replacement player. (I've been playing that character temporarily, but I'm a bit limited since I also created a lot of rooms.)

I don't know if it is the holiday season or what, but it seems like some days we could use an extra GM to use Paint to draw that day's results. (You'd need to coordinate with WorstCase.) And, I've had room ideas I've posted but not had the time to draw. So someone could use Paint to draw even a single room or 2 and that would help. I'd post more ideas if I had more drawers.

So, Hats 2 is not orphaned, but there are several ways to help out. If a couple key people helped out, the game could stand to have another player. As it is though more players probably equals too much work (still, please take over for psychotic) without GM help.

Hats 2 has a lot of quests and a fair number of NPCs, plus all of the Hats to play with. The only restriction is the players are on their honor not to read the GM thread.
ThroughTheWell
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby SeeAMoose on Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:40 pm

Well I had an idea a little while back about a point buy stat system I'd like to use in a game if I ever were to run one. Unfortunately, the nature of the system is that it wouldn't work well if the players knew how it worked before picking stats. I've always been a fan of Retha's semi freeform type of game, but don't want to run one just like it because as a GM there is no end in sight for such a game. I would love to make such a game if I could figure out a way to make it semi-freeform, but still have a definite goal and win or lose conditions. You know... if I ever finish my research paper, KoreBot and the new CTF sprites :shifty: Of course then I'd have to make new, easily changeable sprites and backgrounds... I hate being a perfectionist with art sometimes. :grumble:I If someone can come up with an idea for how to run such a game and come up with a back story, I can try to crank out some nice shiny backgrounds and sprites. It may take me awhile to reach that point though, so take your time.
I'm a Moderator in Thunt's ustream channel, if you need a hand drop one of us a line, we're all always willing to lend a hand.
Come talk about the latest kills in the chat here.
Was detective for 1 turn in round 7, narrowed one killer down to 6 possibilities.
Was detective in Round 31... and was vigilante killed by one of the citizens just as we were about to win.

Round 8 Winner was Caine. Favored Murder Weapon : Citizens
Round 20 Winner was the "Unnamed" killer
Tumbles-down-a-hill Lv9 Attacker
Zombie Bait:Trips-on-his-feet HP:0/5 ATK:1 DEF:1 INF: BRAINS!!! Zombified on Turn 81
Come to Goblins Games for some fun. There's murder and mayhem, teamwork, flag capturing, and role playing galore.
Me`me about the new bot: "I defy authority figures I helped to engineer."
SeeAMoose
Keenspot Despot

Postby Dlover on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:37 pm

My suggestion would be the magic system that a couple of us tried a while back, and I have used in my latest game. I really feel that this system actually has some potential, but I can't do it justice.
For those who don't know, the concept is basically as follows:
Players choose an element for their magic, this can be absolutely anything, so long as the DM doesn't think it to be overpowered or underpowered, and can devise spells to use. Before the game starts, the players can suggest spells which the DM then can either reject or agree with, adding effects and costs.
So an example is a basic ice magic user, fairly simple. They suggest a spell which allows travel possibilities, and the DM decides on how it actually works. It could be something like freezing water in the air to make a bridge, which would have a high cost to the caster, say around 3 energy of 5 max. It could be anything really.

I've been suggesting this idea in a couple of times because the possibilities are so varied, and I normally end up botching things. I want to see something decent done with this system.
Dlover
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby ReadsVoraciously on Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:47 am

I have an idea for a game that's similar to CTF and the Ragnarok game that was around for awhile. There would be pvp matches interspersed with sidequests that would run similarly to mini-dungeon crawls. I envision a basic class system (Fighter, Cleric, Rogue, Bard) that uses different ability trees depending on the alignment of the player (Good, Neutral, Evil). The purpose of the sidequests would be to provide moral dilemmas for the player to consider (e.g. help the bandits rob the village/help the villagers ward off the bandits). Their actions in the sidequests would affect their character's alignment. Their character's alignment at the time of their "level up" would determine what abilities are available for learning/upgrading with mixture between alignments permitted to allow diversity of characters. The following are some basic notes I have about potential classes.

Preliminary Game Notes wrote:Starting Equipment/Classes

Longsword & Heavy Armor - PureBlade/Fighter/BloodKnight
Dagger & Light Armor - Noble Scoundrel/Rogue/Assassin
Staff & Cloak - Bishop/Cleric/Necromancer
Instrument/Rapier & Light Armor - Virtuoso/Bard/Doomsinger

I also have some ability trees planned out, but I'm holding onto that information as I may end up doing this game if I get some time down the road. I believe the differences between the classes are somewhat intuitive, with the "Good" classes focusing more on protection/healing, and the "Evil" classes focusing more on inflicting damage or negative effects.
Current Games:
Clan Rampage - GM - Come check it out!
Capture the Flag - Nose-In-A-Book
The Awesomesword Wanes - Thinks Twice - Teller/Heal-Bitch
The Clan of the Connected Mesh - Casts the First Stone
The Lost Chapter Clan - Follows Tracks - Lvl 4 Ranger
ReadsVoraciously
Keenspot Despot

Postby jrlans on Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:43 am

I have two ideas, but I can't draw worth anything.

The first idea is pretty much Ratha's goblin defense game, except your base of operation is an old abandoned goblin war camp. You're a group of goblins who've been exiled from your clans for various reasons, and you've decided to join up to make your own clan. Waves of baddies would attack your camp, and you'd have to kill them off and survive. The longer you survive and the more impressive your camp becomes, the more difficult the baddies you attract. However, you also attract other goblins looking for a clan. These new goblins would just be NPCs that you could order to perform various tasks(otherwise you'd need enough players for a whole clan). After you've reached a set goal (survive X amount of days, have X amount of goblins in clan) then the game ends. If you'd like you could expand that to another game where the newly created clan goes and tries to take over other clans, though I have no idea how that'd be run.

My second idea goes like this. You are a group of goblins who for whatever reason have gotten inside a massive and well fortified human city. You inevitably get spotted, and must run from the guards. Thinking quick, you all duck into the sewers and eliminate the first group of guards. Now the game begins. You're goal is to somehow make it out of the city. Both the city and the sewers would be set up like a labyrinth, but obviously players won't get lost because they'd make maps. Players would be safe(r) in the sewers, and would probably wait for nightfall to venture out onto the streets. Going out during the day pretty much ensures the streets would be filled with humans. They could try to loot buildings during their search for an escape, but obviously most of them would be locked at night. Anyway game ends when you escape or die. Or maybe a secret ending
SPOILERS:Take over the city! :evilgrin:

EDIT:Just realized there's already a game like the first one I described. Nevermind :)
Last edited by jrlans on Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clan Rampage
Gets Revenge
HP: 4/5
ATK: 1+2 (+1 Dagger, +1 Dagger)
DEF: 1+2 (+1 Leather Cap, +1 Leather Armour)
Inv: Empty Potion, Poisonous Mixture, Mug, Assortment of Useless Crap, Improvised Shield (+1 Def), Beer
Skill(s):[Backlash] - Gain +1 attack against any creature type that has previously damaged you.
jrlans
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Haragorn on Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:59 am

jrlans wrote:obviously players won't get lost because they'd make maps.
I wouldn't count on that.
Haragorn
Keenspot Despot

Postby Dlover on Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:59 pm

Yeah, quite a few of us don't make maps, and I know I don't always check them.
Dlover
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby askstoomuch on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:08 pm

quessing is more fun or blaming the other players :D
askstoomuch
Keenspot Despot

Postby narie666 on Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:34 am

Question, is there anybody who sails, knows about sailing, boats or is just general knowledgable and could help me figure out language and general doubts/questions I have about the subject?
narie666
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby askstoomuch on Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:42 am

well the dutch kick ass in the whole sailing thing but yeah for most parts i don't know the english name ( the english have taken over a lot of dutch turns for boats )
askstoomuch
Keenspot Despot

Postby thinkslogically on Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:07 am

I don't sail, but I work at sea s lot and know my way about a boat if that's any good? Depends what u need to know really...
Turning points of data into beautiful lines since 2006

Running:
Lair of the Mountain King: Chapter One
Obsidian Portal Link (character info, inventories, monsters): http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/lair-of-the-mountain-king

Escape!: Open to All.

The Goblin Apprentices! - COMPLETE at Turn 50
thinkslogically
Keenspot Despot

Return to Goblins Games