Zombie Bait (Forum Game)

Moderator: Thunt

Forum rules
Forum games go here.

Zombie Bait (Forum Game)

Postby LoneStarNorth on Sun May 15, 2011 8:07 pm

SPOILERS:Hey look a new game.

Clan Fourem relocated their village a few generations ago upon learning of a sleeping threat less than a mile away. The new location has proven a boon to the Clan; food is more plentiful, Adventurers are less common, and the surrounding mountains hide the village from nearby human settlements. In fact, the valley is virtually devoid of predators; humanoid, animal, or monster. It is a secret paradise.

But while the Clan Fourem Goblins prosper, the humans of Coppersun have gone through some hard times. Last summer, they were hit by a particularly devastating plague of undeath. It began when humans started dying of unknown causes; it ended with the city guard facing down an enormous swarm of zombies, nearly one fifth of the population. But the guards were well trained, and Coppersun was home to more than a few Adventurers. The existing Zombies were destroyed, but there were still hundreds of people (including many guards) in advanced stages of infection, not yet mindless undead but too far gone to save. The city decided that it would be too cruel to execute those who had already fought so hard to survive, both for the infected and for their families. In the end, it was decided that the best solution would be to exile the infected to a place where they could die on their own terms, and where they wouldn’t pose any further threat.

They were sent to a small valley, hidden from nearby human settlements. Formerly, a secret paradise…

Clan Fourem recalled all of their members from the warcamps and faced down the threat. If they could just send the villagers to a temporary haven, the warriors could lure and lead the zombies somewhere that they wouldn’t pose a threat; a small cave whose entrance was too steep for a zombie to escape. Ideally, this operation could be completed without casualties. Realistically, it would be much more likely to succeed if a small group of warriors entered the cave and kept the zombies from even trying to find a way out. The cave could then be sealed and the threat removed forever.

The Chief, the Teller, and seven of the Clan’s finest warriors volunteered for this task. The Awesomesword was handed over to the Chief’s son for safekeeping. The nine Goblins entered the cave, while their fellow warriors began to lure the zombies in.

Completely unsurprisingly, the cave turned out to be a dungeon crawl.

Also, they’re entering this dungeon naked and unarmed. So as not to dilute their scent. Or something.

RULES OF THE GAME

All creatures have the following stats.

Hp: Hit Points. If it hits 0, you die.
Atk: Attack power. When you attack another creature, you remove this many Hp.
Def: Defense power. When are you attacked, you take this many fewer damage.
Inf: Infection. Being damaged by undead raises this by the amount of damage taken. It starts at 0, but if it reaches 10, you die, then reanimate as a zombie. Recovering Hp does not remove Infection, but there may be ways to heal it…

Goblins start with 5 Hp, 1 Atk, and 1 Def. These stats can be raised by weapons, armour, and shields, among other items. The Chief (who is elected democratically) starts with 6 Hp, 2 Atk, and 2 Def, and can take up to 12 Inf before dying. The Teller (also elected democratically) has the same stats as a normal Goblin, but has a few special powers. They can heal another Goblin by 1 Hp as an action. They can take 1 point of Inf from another Goblin and take it upon themselves as an action. And finally, they are constantly aware of how many undead are present in the dungeon, and knows which, if any, adjacent rooms have an undead presence.

Updates will happen most days, generally between 4 and 6 times a week. I frequently skip Saturdays and often skip either Friday or Sunday (sometimes both). Please do not sign up if you know you can’t commit to this schedule! If you need to miss a day or two occasionally that’s fine. It’s even better if you can provide warning and elect someone to take your actions for you. If you need to take an absence of a week or more you’d BETTER provide warning and a stand-in, or you’ll probably be replaced permanently. You can also allow your fellow clanmates to vote on your actions when you’re away. If we notice you’re away, we’ll vote on your actions regardless if you didn’t let us know and name someone specific to take the wheel for you.

Every update constitutes one turn. On your turn, you can move one room and take one action, or take one action and then move. Actions include attacking, opening chests, interacting with NPCs, moving a second time, and manipulating aspects of the dungeon, like levers or traps or what have you. If you attack, you may not move afterwards. You may not move a second time if you use your first move to enter an unexplored room. You may not move a second time OR a first time if you path is blocked by some obstacle. Talking to your fellow Goblins is a free action. Trading items with fellow Goblins is a free action WITHIN REASON if you are in the same room and not separated by some obstacle. Taking loot dropped after combat is not an action.

Due to Clan Fourem’s latent psychic powers, you can see whatever your clanmates see and can communicate with them no matter how far apart you are within the dungeon. You can’t, however, communicate with any of your Clanmates outside the dungeon.

If you die, you can magically send ONE of your items to another Goblin who’s still alive. Anything else you’re holding becomes taboo and cannot be used thereafter.

Finally, you will not be alone in the dungeon. Unlike dungeon monsters, undead who follow you into the dungeon will wander about the dungeon seeking prey (which includes both Goblins and NPC monsters!). Zombies usually wander randomly, but will pursue any living creature that they notice. Getting injured too many times by a zombie will raise your Inf to 10 and kill you, but anyone killed by a zombie will join their ranks regardless of their Inf.

There are nine waves of undead, and they will enter every tenth turn (turn 10, turn 20, etc). On turn 100, your clanmates outside have been instructed to seal the entrance, trapping the undead inside… and you with them. It is your sworn duty for at least one Goblin to remain in the dungeon until the ninth wave enters. It MAY be possible to escape between turn 90 and turn 100… but that’s up to you to figure out, Clan Fourem!

Anyone can sign up to play* so long as they can commit to the game. To do so, state your Goblin’s name and colour. After we have a full roster, please submit your votes for Chief and Teller. Feel free to do some campaigning if you want one of those jobs. When you post your actions, please put your Goblin’s name at the top of your post, OR include their colour. This will make actions easier to track down amongst strategy talks and chatter from spectators. Speaking of spectators, you are welcome to comment, but PLEASE don’t do so to the point that you drown out the players.

The Dead are on their way. Ready yourselves. And Long Live Clan Fourem!

Goblin Roster:
1. Eats Brains, browny dark reddish (BurnsBees)
2. Falls Down Stairs, pinky-purple (ThinkingOfNames)
3. Business Is Good, peachesque orange, apparently (The kool)
4. Reads Too Much, green (ChroniclerC)
5. Trips On His Feet, blue (SeeAMoose)
6. Wish You Were Here, purple (Kelvara)
7. Lurks In Shadows, grey (Wolfie21384)
8. Omen Of Ends, light blue (ArdentSilver)
9. Gets To The Chopper, brown (ArcticTornado)

*Anyone currently playing in one of my other games must wait until 1 hour after this post is made to sign up. If you’ve been in one of my games PREVIOUSLY but not CURRENTLY, you can sign up freely… but maybe it’s in poor taste? We want to give everyone a chance to play after all… but I’ll leave that up to you.

SPOILERS:But wait a minute, what's up with all those locked roster spaces?

It's my attempt to accomodate people in other time zones. They'll open up after a little while. BUT WHEN? Who knows!
Last edited by LoneStarNorth on Mon May 16, 2011 11:34 am, edited 7 times in total.
LoneStarNorth
Keenspot Despot

Re: Zombie Bait

Postby BurnsBees on Sun May 15, 2011 8:08 pm

EatsBrains

EDIT: AHAH!

Anyways, character info. This is the third time bringing this character up, but mostly because none of the games she was in held for a very long time and I think her backstory fits with Zombie bait instead of a goblin I was going to make, Spaz.

Ahem.

Soon after her name was told, she was imprisoned in fear that she might eat others brains out of necessity. During that time she was force feed brains (for no reason except they thought that she could only survive on brains.) She was imprisoned for many years and teased a lot in the cells. One day, a horde of undead broke through and destroyed the village. A lich tried to kill her but missed and got her manacles instead and she fled. After that she ran for a cart where she knowingly stepped on and got trapped in a weird dungeon thing that had several traps and made her come back to life after going through them. She got out of that one some how. During her trips she has a small grasp of the language.

EDIT EDIT: Different colour.
Last edited by BurnsBees on Sun May 15, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beware of the ducks with bombs. They know who you are and they are out to get you.
BurnsBees
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby ThinkingOfNames on Sun May 15, 2011 8:09 pm

Falls Down Stairs
#BF00FF
ThinkingOfNames
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby The kool on Sun May 15, 2011 8:10 pm

Totally in. Goblin momentarily.
Mayhem: We're not crazy, you're just too sane.

Current avatar: That would be Tyrion. Or his head, at any rate.
You can find my inventory, games run, and characters played on my wiki page. It is horribly out of date, though.
I also has a deviantART!
Best. Scene. Ever.
Since counters seem popular, The warnings on my IDBs have been ignored 3 times.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it. - Edgar Allen Poe
I'm wearing a skirt, and I've got boobs. I'm not going to start worrying about my manly image now. - Elliot
Logic is fun. It makes great squealing noises when you torture it. - BRE
Yes, it is rather hard to kill when you inflict numerical HP damage rather than, you know, actual injuries. - Drayco
Drayco, he's the one with enough muses to fill up the U.S Senate and still have some left over for the house of representatives. - Lohti. Rest in peace, man.
The kool
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby LoneStarNorth on Sun May 15, 2011 8:12 pm

Holy fuck you guys.
LoneStarNorth
Keenspot Despot

Postby Experiment on Sun May 15, 2011 8:15 pm

Wishes Too Much
#00BFFF

EDIT: I guess I ended up being a little too slow, although I'm the third person to have a name and color in.
Last edited by Experiment on Sun May 15, 2011 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tries-too-hard, Lv5 Strategist

A Fiesty One
HP: 5/5
Att: 3 (4 vs wildlife)
Def: 3 (4 vs undead)
Inventory:
A bunch of text that I will spare you from.
Experiment
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby SeeAMoose on Sun May 15, 2011 8:15 pm

I want in.
Trips on his Feet

Grrr.... :cry:
Last edited by SeeAMoose on Sun May 15, 2011 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm a Moderator in Thunt's ustream channel, if you need a hand drop one of us a line, we're all always willing to lend a hand.
Come talk about the latest kills in the chat here.
Was detective for 1 turn in round 7, narrowed one killer down to 6 possibilities.
Was detective in Round 31... and was vigilante killed by one of the citizens just as we were about to win.

Round 8 Winner was Caine. Favored Murder Weapon : Citizens
Round 20 Winner was the "Unnamed" killer
Tumbles-down-a-hill Lv9 Attacker
Zombie Bait:Trips-on-his-feet HP:0/5 ATK:1 DEF:1 INF: BRAINS!!! Zombified on Turn 81
Come to Goblins Games for some fun. There's murder and mayhem, teamwork, flag capturing, and role playing galore.
Me`me about the new bot: "I defy authority figures I helped to engineer."
SeeAMoose
Keenspot Despot

Postby PicksUpSticks on Sun May 15, 2011 8:16 pm

An LSN game! Count me in!

EDIT: Wait, only 3 spots open... Great I want sleep, but I also want in this game :lol:
Last edited by PicksUpSticks on Sun May 15, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Threads of Reality
Picks The Plan - Goblin Warrior
Level 1
Tower Game
Zombie Picks Up Sticks - Zombie Shaman
Cantrips/Inflict - 1 | Debuff/Buff - 2 | Suggestion - 3
Clan Rampage
Breaks A Leg - Goblin Knee Basher
Alive and stupid.
Goblin Heroes- PicksUpSticks - Completed
PicksUpSticks
Keenspot Despot

Postby LoneStarNorth on Sun May 15, 2011 8:17 pm

No, no, too late. Check the initial post. You can try to wait for the next three spots to open up I guess...
LoneStarNorth
Keenspot Despot

Postby The kool on Sun May 15, 2011 8:19 pm

o.o

And I only read the intro before posting, not the rules part. I guess some people said "LSN! IN!!!"

You can find my inventory, games run, and characters played on my wiki page. It is horribly out of date, though.
I also has a deviantART!
Best. Scene. Ever.

I'm wearing a skirt, and I've got boobs. I'm not going to start worrying about my manly image now. - Elliot
Yes, it is rather hard to kill when you inflict numerical HP damage rather than, you know, actual injuries. - Drayco
Drayco, he's the one with enough muses to fill up the U.S Senate and still have some left over for the house of representatives. - Lohti. Rest in peace, man.
The kool
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby ThinkingOfNames on Sun May 15, 2011 8:20 pm

LoneStarNorth wrote:Holy fuck you guys.

Pure luck. I WAS camping, but i had just rebooted, refreshed the subforums' tab JUST IN CASE..... and speed thought a name and color...

Seriously 5 mins earlier and i was missing my chance. Like the other times. -_-;
ThinkingOfNames
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby The kool on Sun May 15, 2011 8:27 pm

I shall be Business-Is-Good (#FF4000), for now, unless I come up with a better name. If everyone likes it, though, I shall keep it.

I also has a deviantART!
Best. Scene. Ever.

The kool
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby ArdentSilver on Sun May 15, 2011 8:46 pm

Dibs! I would totally be a goblin called "For-the-Good-of-the-Many" (or perhaps, his brother "For-the-Glory-of-the-Few".)

Of course, you realize that now the characters in Arena-Slaves are honor-bound to catalyze an undead horror as much as possible, yes? :lol:
ArdentSilver
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ThinkingOfNames on Sun May 15, 2011 9:57 pm

Who's to say it's not already done.

"Not Important" might have been named after the stunned Teller, in shock of the horror he would someday cause, answered "It's not important." to a goblin's concern toward him/her.

I'm sure he has already risen from the dead, infested the Owlbear and is slowly making it's way out of the arena gathering an ever bigger horde of zombies. Maybe i should have named myself "Dreams While Awake" or "Dreams of Conspiracies" after all.... Next time. ;P
ThinkingOfNames
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ArcticTornado on Sun May 15, 2011 10:14 pm

I can't read the spoilers ATM, so I'm going to post a character now and get back to this in a couple of hours on a real computer.
Gets to the choppa
Chief Gets to the Chopper
2/6 HP :: 0/12 Inf
4 Atk :: 5 Def

Inverted Luck
ATK: 4-6 (+2 Brakeblade, +1 Thief Blade, +0/+1 Thief Armor (25%), +0/+1 Short Blade Specialty (50%))
DEF: 6-7(+1 Goblin, +1 Thief Armor, +1 Thick Skin, +0/+1 Leather Helm (50%), +1 Iron Bracer, +1 Iron Bracer)
HP: 5/5
Pack: Very Pointy Pencil, 78 gold pieces, Leather Armor, Dagger, Challenge Note, Random Book, Short Rope
Abilities: Renew (+1 HP, Major Action, touch), Lady Luck (double % chance to most items/abilities, passive).
ArcticTornado
Keenspot Despot

Postby BrokenCastle on Sun May 15, 2011 10:15 pm

Gah, you could at least have told us if you are going to sleep or not.

Now I really need to make up my mind on if I will stay up all night in case you log on, or if I must sleep now and camp in the morning.
Wears A Cursed Armor
0/5 hp
0 atk (Dead)
0 def (
Dead)

Inventory:
Potion Of Shield
BrokenCastle
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby m0rtimer on Sun May 15, 2011 10:17 pm

Posting this so I'll only have to copy/paste later today. :shifty:

twitches
ME JAM STICK IN STONE. ME CREATE LEVER.

goblin heroes - Completed
threads of reality - in progress
m0rtimer
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby michael7050 on Sun May 15, 2011 10:19 pm

ME JOIN ME JOIN!

EDIT:

DAMN!

Now I have to face off against a load of campers!

Man, I've wanted to get into every single LSN game since LDD, but NOOO, I always fail :(

Oh well, maybe this time I'll have a shot.

Kelvara wrote:Amazing how many people don't read the post, or even notice the LOCKED.

You think I was going to waste time READING the intro, when there was a chance I might get into an LSN game?
Last edited by michael7050 on Sun May 15, 2011 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ServesBeers, Owner of:
The Gobl'INN, the perfect venue to have beers, (and cider, ale etc) while you discuss the latest murders!
Find it today at Thuntworld Serial Killers! - ServesBeers is taking a vacation and apologises for any inconvienience
Stocked by: The Exalted Clan Of Brewerery -Chief - BrewsBeers,Chief Foreman - BrewsAGoodBeer,Stirrer #1 - StirsVats ,Stirrer #2 - WieldsAPaddle, Taster - GetsDrunk,Ingredients Manager - SpikesDrinks----In memory of Grim, who drew my Avatar, and abondoned this clan.
DrinksBeers, Guardian of the Twisting Falls Clan!
GoAwayIHaveAHangover, Lead Tactician of Clan MightyOak!
THE HANGOVER, Goblin Mage!
FiveMinutesLate ToTheParty - Goblin Defender!
Teetotaller , Escapee! - Died by a grisly fate. May EvilCoatrack speed him to Maglubiyets arms.
IsADrunkMage, Mage of the Catacombs! -Surivived! Now at Mud's Betting Stall!

GetsDrunkAndMakesRainbowsEverywhere, The mighty Rainbowmancer! - Abandoned by Pointsthingsout. :(

I AM FREAKIN UNBEATABLE!
- Forgath
michael7050
Keenspot Despot

Postby Kelvara on Sun May 15, 2011 10:20 pm

Amazing how many people don't read the post, or even notice the LOCKED.
Kelvara
Keenspot Despot

Postby knucklekraken on Sun May 15, 2011 10:25 pm

Kelvara wrote:Amazing how many people don't read the post, or even notice the LOCKED.

What, you mean you're not just foaming at the mouth for another LSN game? Regression to a mindless, animal state is common under these circumstances. Overexposure to awesomesauce of this magnitude is a powerful and dangerous thing.

Some of us are just better at controlling it than others.

That said, I have to stop typing like a civilized person so I can concentrate on not drooling with anticipation.

Member of the Irregulators. Reticulating splines since 2011.

Here are stats for a player race I created, compatible with 3.5 D&D. Please steal.

SPOILERS:Tasty People
+2 Charisma: Tasty People have strong natural pheromones.
-2 Wisdom: Tasty People have a racial predisposition for making bad decisions.
When faced with an encounter involving a predatory creature, a Tasty Person must make a Charisma Check. If the DC (15) is met, the creature will attack the Tasty Person to the exclusion of other targets who are not also Tasty People who have met this DC. The DC should be modified for monsters with a strong sense of smell, I leave this to your discretion as a DM. The monster is not forced to attack the Tasty Person if doing so would cause it to take an attack of opportunity.
A Tasty Person's starting class should be treated as his favored class.

Tasty People speak Common.
knucklekraken
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby michael7050 on Sun May 15, 2011 10:28 pm

knucklekraken wrote:

What, you mean you're not just foaming at the mouth for another LSN game? Regression to a mindless, animal state is common under these circumstances. Overexposure to awesomesauce of this magnitude is a powerful and dangerous thing.

Some of us are just better at controlling it than others.

That said, I have to stop typing like a civilized person so I can concentrate on not drooling with anticipation.

Hey, hey, wait your turn! No fair, you were in like ALL of LSN's games, and I have to compete with that!?

Regression to a wild beast mentality is PERFECTLY normal under these circumstances!
ServesBeers, Owner of:
The Gobl'INN, the perfect venue to have beers, (and cider, ale etc) while you discuss the latest murders!
Find it today at Thuntworld Serial Killers! - ServesBeers is taking a vacation and apologises for any inconvienience
Stocked by: The Exalted Clan Of Brewerery -Chief - BrewsBeers,Chief Foreman - BrewsAGoodBeer,Stirrer #1 - StirsVats ,Stirrer #2 - WieldsAPaddle, Taster - GetsDrunk,Ingredients Manager - SpikesDrinks----In memory of Grim, who drew my Avatar, and abondoned this clan.
Teetotaller , Escapee! - Died by a grisly fate. May EvilCoatrack speed him to Maglubiyets arms.

GetsDrunkAndMakesRainbowsEverywhere, The mighty Rainbowmancer! - Abandoned by Pointsthingsout. :(

I AM FREAKIN UNBEATABLE!
- Forgath
michael7050
Keenspot Despot

Postby Kelvara on Sun May 15, 2011 10:29 pm

Sure, I'm excited, but I at least skimmed the post and read the part where the rules for joining are before attempting a sign-up (good thing I did too).
Kelvara
Keenspot Despot

Postby knucklekraken on Sun May 15, 2011 10:36 pm

Oh, don't worry. I'm not greedy enough to take a spot in a third game just yet. I need to wait just a bit longer. Maybe the next one. Heck, Shakes could still be alive during this one. What's a few generations when you're a legend?

Member of the Irregulators. Reticulating splines since 2011.

Here are stats for a player race I created, compatible with 3.5 D&D. Please steal.

SPOILERS:Tasty People
+2 Charisma: Tasty People have strong natural pheromones.
-2 Wisdom: Tasty People have a racial predisposition for making bad decisions.
When faced with an encounter involving a predatory creature, a Tasty Person must make a Charisma Check. If the DC (15) is met, the creature will attack the Tasty Person to the exclusion of other targets who are not also Tasty People who have met this DC. The DC should be modified for monsters with a strong sense of smell, I leave this to your discretion as a DM. The monster is not forced to attack the Tasty Person if doing so would cause it to take an attack of opportunity.
A Tasty Person's starting class should be treated as his favored class.

Tasty People speak Common.
knucklekraken
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby ChroniclerC on Sun May 15, 2011 10:37 pm

Remember kids! Read, or the owl will eat you!
Image Image Image
ChroniclerC
Keenspot Deity

Postby michael7050 on Sun May 15, 2011 10:37 pm

:shifty:
ServesBeers, Owner of:

I AM FREAKIN UNBEATABLE!
- Forgath
michael7050
Keenspot Despot

Next

Return to Goblins Games