Ask me something

The place to let everyone know how well-read and sophisticated you are because you read Out There. Because, you know, it's that kinda strip. Sophisticated. And junk.

Moderator: rcmonroe

Re: Ask me something

Postby KAM on Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:06 am

I just noticed Out There is over a 1000 strips, but when did it pass that mark?

I ask because I sometimes post things at TV Tropes & realized that your comic qualifies for the Webcomics Long Runners page.
The KAMics - cartoons
Ready To Cab - rock & mineral selling business
KAM
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:02 pm

Out There's 1000th strip appeared on August 20, 2009.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby KAM on Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:03 am

Thanks!

And congratulations!
The KAMics - cartoons
Ready To Cab - rock & mineral selling business
KAM
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Apple App Question

Postby Halgarr on Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:26 am

Do the Out There e-books from the Iphone/Ipod app store have the bonus material from your paper books?
Halgarr
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby rcmonroe on Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:56 am

Nope. Only the books have the extra material.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby Gehrheim on Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:50 pm

I've been thinking recently about trying to get into drawing again...a few of my drawings in the past have come out not horrible, so I have the assumption that with practice I could actually draw somewhat good.

Any advice about what techniques (perspective, proportions, shading, heavy drinking, etc.) would be best to work on first? Any suggestions for good exercises to work on skillz with? I've thought about getting one of those manga drawing books to start just to get proportions down, but I think if I got stuck at the anime-style and could never progress beyond it to my own (non-anime) style I'd shoot myself.
Gehrheim
Junior Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:05 am

I would suggest Cartooning the Head and Figure by Jack Hamm (It's old but good) rather than some consarned manga book which may inadvertently lock you into a style. In truth, though, it takes years to develop an individual style, and even once you've developed it, it'll keep changing anyway. Forget about trying to develop a style (for now) and just start drawing things that interest you.

For starters I would just draw whatever you like to draw and not worry too much about working on things like perspective and shading, unless those come naturally to you. Once you've mastered a few simple tricks then you can start incorporating more complicated techniques into your work.

On the other hand, I'm far from being the best person to ask. My game still has a lot of holes in it.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby Gehrheim on Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:52 pm

I've heard about Jack Hamm's books before, I'll have to check that out...thanks for the suggestion!

I'm pretty sure the best person to ask is far too busy to talk to me anyways, so I'm quite content asking your advice. ;)
Gehrheim
Junior Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:45 am

Drawing the Head and Figure is good too… wish I could find my copy. Actually I'd recommend getting that one first.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby SAGG on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:58 am

Hey, RC, did you know about this review of OT, and if you did, what did you think about it?

http://mwhf.comicgenesis.com/review_outthere.html

I'm not quite sure, but I think the reviewer likes it--? :-? He sure thinks you hate fun, for some reason... :lol:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:14 pm

SAGG wrote:Hey, RC, did you know about this review of OT, and if you did, what did you think about it?

I'm not quite sure, but I think the reviewer likes it--? :-? He sure thinks you hate fun, for some reason... :lol:

It's an old review, from the first year of the strip. I've had a link to it on my "Links & Stuff" page the whole time.

What did I think of the review? I thought it was great, of course.

Oh, and the reviewer doesn't think I hate fun. "The Man Who Hates Fun" is the name of his comic strip. The new URL is here.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby SAGG on Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:32 pm

rcmonroe wrote:
SAGG wrote:Hey, RC, did you know about this review of OT, and if you did, what did you think about it?

It's an old review, from the first year of the strip. I've had a link to it on my "Links & Stuff" page the whole time.

What did I think of the review? I thought it was great, of course.

Oh, and the reviewer doesn't think I hate fun. "The Man Who Hates Fun" is the name of his comic strip. The new URL is here.

Heh. I should've known. :lol:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby SAGG on Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:59 pm

RC, do you compare your earlier OT work with what you do now, and say, "Why did I do that?!" or "What was I thinking?!"? :D Would there be anything you'd do differently in OT if you could go back in time?
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:23 pm

It's not so much "why did I do that", because I generally know why I did that; it's more "I wish I had thought that through a little more so I could have done it better." There are a bunch of things I would change now if I were to start over again but ultimately they're all pretty minor and would have little effect on where the story is now.

I'll give you a few examples:

1) I don't like how John and Miriam met. It seems phoney or forced to me now. Instead of her impulsively stopping to pick him up for no real reason, I should have had them meet in a diner or something. Originally I though it would show Miriam's impulsive and flirty nature to have her stop to pick up a stranger but I could have shown the same attributes by having her initiate a conversation with a stranger at a diner. That would have rang a little more true, I think.

2) I wouldn't have made John quite so mysterious. When I created the character I was of two minds which way I was going to take him—and instead of making up my mind before the strip got going I decided I'd sort of let him go and allow him to tell me who he was. This took much longer than I had anticipated, so the mystery aspect kinda got out of hand, becoming something a lot of people focused on, when that really wasn't my intent. I trust by now that most readers have figured out that John isn't hiding a past full of dramatic intrigue; he's just not talking about it much, because there's not much to it, and because he prefers to direct the spotlight away from himself.

3) I would have made it a lot clearer, a lot earlier, that Miriam isn't 100% straight. From the beginning I thought of her as mainly attracted to men but occasionally attracted to women—so whatever category that puts her in, you tell me (I hate labels). The thing is, I didn't know when I started out how specific I was going to get about sex and sexuality; at the beginning I was planning on submitting the strip for syndication and even if that failed (which it did) I was still committed to keeping the strip somewhat family-friendly. So I thought I'd be mostly dancing around the issue, and therefore the details of the characters' respective sexualities could be left to the imagination. I've found it increasingly difficult to leave the sexuality out of it; this is, after all, a comic strip that mostly focuses on relationships and while I never go into graphic detail I have nonetheless found it necessary to at least expose who's attracted to whom. Anyway, if I knew at the start how much I was going to focus on Miriam's various loves and lusts, I'd have made it clearer that they were not going to be exclusively male.

And of course, I wish the earlier strips were drawn better, but I would have had to draw the strip everyday for five years before putting it online to get to where I am now. And five years from now I'm sure I'll look back at my 2011 strips and say, "what was I thinking?"
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby furrykef on Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:23 am

Funny, RC, I don't see a problem with any of those three things. :lol:

1) Miriam might not pick up a random stranger on the road today, but I think that just means her personality has evolved. I don't always behave the same as I would a few years ago either.
2) I dunno, I like the ambiguity about whether John's hiding something or not. I've never thought it's something like a criminal past or anything, but I like there being more room for interpretation than "it is utterly boring". ;) Note that I'm not necessarily expecting it to be fulfilled (cf. The Noodle Incident in Calvin & Hobbes, etc.).
3) Actually, Miriam and Sherry have never struck me as 100% straight. :lol:
furrykef
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby rcmonroe on Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:53 am

Yeah, none of them are huge glaring issues, just little things I think I could have done better.

I think the "picking up" of John bugs me the most. Miriam is impetuous and, at times, fairly reckless, but insisting a suspicious-looking character get into her car in the middle of nowhere now strikes me as almost suicidal. I kind of wonder what I was thinking at the time.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby evilhare on Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:09 pm

Ok, I'll bite... what kind of paper and ink do you use, or are you one of those all-digital comic creators?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"My visions rob me of sleep, but fill me with unshakeable purpose."

http://www.darkfell.com
evilhare
Junior Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:10 pm

As far as my strips go, I only use the computer for the text and the panel borders, and once in a great while, for cleaning up artwork (i.e., fixing mistakes). I do use the computer for any color work I might do.

I use smooth Bristol paper. I pencil everything with a 4H pencil; that's a hard lead that makes a very light line; I've found that at the settings I use my scanner doesn't pick it up at all, so there's no need for me to erase. Bit of a time saver there.

Most of the linework is done with a Kuretake brush pen; I don't know what kind of ink it is, the ink comes in little cartridges that you plug into the pen. The large black areas (Ari's or Sherry's hair, for instance) I fill in with a larger brush, using Rapidograph India Ink (which isn't actually India Ink, but they call it that anyway). The thin lines, like the shading lines or the lines in Miriam's hair are done with a Faber-Castel Pitt "M" pen. The "M" presumably stands for "medium"; it looks to me like it's somewhere between a 1 point and 2 point line.

And I use white-out. Lot and lots of white-out. Because I make lots and lots of mistakes.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:33 am

Okay, I'll bite.

Was Ari initially brought into the strip with the idea that she would awaken Miriam's sapphic side? And was Ari always intended to be bisexual, or was she originally a Lesbian (as she stated) and you just changed your mind? If so, what made you change your mind?
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby rcmonroe on Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:18 am

Ari just happened. During the long arc when Miriam and Sherry were on their trip, I decided I needed to have at least one or two short arcs with John manning the bar. He had to have someone to talk to, so in popped Ari. I had no concept of who she was, what she was going to be, or how I was going to use her; I just started writing. I made her a Lesbian in order to fulfill a single punchline (http://outthere.keenspot.com/d/20070915.html). I wasn't even sure she was going to be a recurring character. But I liked her, so she kept showing up, and she gradually became someone who was less sure of her sexual orientation than originally indicated. Why this happened, I don't know. Often the characters will grow and change for reasons I'm not completely aware of.

Since I had no real plans for her when I introduced her, I would have to say "no" as to whether she was created to give Miriam someone to be interested in.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby LadyGrinningSoul on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:48 pm

When you're plotting the strip, do you ever take into account what we readers are saying in here? Do we ever give you ideas? Have we ever made you change your mind about something? Have you ever had an overwhelmingly negative reaction to anything you've done?
LadyGrinningSoul
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby rcmonroe on Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:33 am

LadyGrinningSoul wrote:When you're plotting the strip, do you ever take into account what we readers are saying in here?

With one exception (explained below), no.

Do we ever give you ideas? Have we ever made you change your mind about something?

Miriam's Internet pal Greg was originally intended to be a one-shot character. People seemed to like him, and I came up with the idea of them carrying on an online friendship. I don't know that I did it to appease the readers or if they just got me to thinking about whether he could be useful as a character. I would say that without the positive response to him he probably would have gone away and stayed away.

Have you ever had an overwhelmingly negative reaction to anything you've done?

One time I changed the color scheme of the website and the negative response was almost universal. I changed it to something else after a month or two. Ironically, I changed it back a few years later and nobody said a thing! In fact, the present orange and black is what got everybody riled up way back when.

When Sherry bleached her hair (actually, when Miriam bleached Sherry's hair), most of the feedback was negative. I had planned all along to have the female characters change hairstyles and possibly hair color from time to time, so the negative response had nothing to do with why Sherry eventually went back to dark hair. She may go back to blonde again some day.

You have to realize, the readership of this strip is in the thousands. The participation in this forum, for whatever reason, is about three or four at any given time. While I appreciate the feedback (I really do!), I can't take anything anyone says in here as representative of the readership as a whole. I get a lot more feedback from e-mails than from this forum (and I don't get tons and tons of e-mails, either, but I get more of them than I do forum posts).
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby SAGG on Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:55 am

RC, what do you think was the riskiest storyline you've done so far in OT, and why? :evilgrin:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby rcmonroe on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:03 am

SAGG wrote:RC, what do you think was the riskiest storyline you've done so far in OT, and why? :evilgrin:

I don't think anything I've done in Out There has been risky. I'm in a time and place where the risks have all long ago been taken and the taboos have all long ago been shattered; I have the luxury of just tipping my hat to the Lenny Bruces and R. Crumbs who have gone before me, and get on with just telling my story. In this day and age, anyone who thinks he's being shocking or edgy or irreverent is probably fooling himself; it's all been done, nothing shocks anymore. With no envelope left to push, I'm just doing my thing, confident that no controversy is likely to arise from it.

I do censor myself… but that's by choice. I want Out There to have wide appeal and while everybody's seen comics and other forms of art or entertainment which are chock full of profanity, nudity, and sex, there are people who are turned off by it, who will immediately write you off if you cross their "bad taste" line. They're in the minority, certainly, but they're there. I prefer not to exclude them from my audience; since I have the ability to tell my story without offending them, I do—and my message therefore reaches a larger audience than it otherwise would.
rcmonroe
Keenspot Despot

Postby jimk on Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:42 pm

Hello RC,

I am a huge daily fan of OT.

Given the growth in your drawing style since you began Out There, what would the very first strip look like if you redrew it today?
jimk
Junior Keenspotter

PreviousNext

Return to Out There