Random Bag of Fun shipping expense

It's not MAD science...just disappointed.

Moderator: Gav

Random Bag of Fun shipping expense

Postby Gav on Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:50 pm

Hey guys,

So I have a problem I'd like to ask some opinions about. I'll probably also post a news article directing here, since few people read these forums anymore.

This year, the shipping expenses on the random bag of fun were unusually high and the number of people sending Paypal money was unusually low. Specifically, four people sent $20 each and two people sent $5 with their gifts for a total of $90 cash. The total shipping (through USPS) was about $92.

Normally, the cash donors shoulder the burden of shipping to everyone. I figured that's fair, since the people who send in gifts have put in more effort and also paid one leg of shipping already. So, I tended to buy, on average, ~$15 gifts for the cash donors, and the rest would balance out the total shipping. But it didn't work out this year. The gifts I bought on behalf of the four cash donors were about $15-$20 each, leaving me about $60-$80 in the hole (plus money for wrapping paper, tape, etc). I have a good job, so I don't mind so much, but I'd rather this not continue in future years especially since I don't make money off of Nukees anymore.

One of the issues was a higher international/domestic ratio. Now, the guilty truth is that the random bag isn't *completely* random. I usually avoid sending very heavy things out of the country to save on shipping. Another issue may be that USPS raised their rates this year because of recession-related funding issues. That's just speculation, though. Also, I haven't raised the cash donation amount since Year 1 for inflation.

So what do you guys think would be acceptable solutions for future years? Should I require people who donate gifts to also send in $5? Should I require international participants to pay more? Should I raise the cash donor rate to something very significantly higher, like $30-$40 (but still buy $15-$20 gifts)? Would UPS or FedEx be cheaper for heavy international deliveries? Would any of these things preclude you from participating?

What do you guys think?
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Re: Random Bag of Fun shipping expense

Postby towr on Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:03 am

So how is it with this issue this year? Figure out a good solution yet? I suppose since you're using last year's instruction, it can't be different on that end.

I just thought I'd bring it up again, since it's that time again. (Actually, I had resolved to bring it up earlier, but after 11 months one forgets. But if one year I want to join in, I want the Global Random Bag of Fun to still be around.)
towr
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: Random Bag of Fun shipping expense

Postby Gav on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:43 am

Participation is pretty low so far. I checked the PO Box on Wednesday, just before leaving town for the holidays and nothing had arrived yet. We've got only two Paypal paticipants. I'm going to take it one more year this way and if, like 20 gifts arrive when I'm back, I'll definitely initiate new rules next year. If there are only a handful, I won't worry so much about it.

I think the Paypal amount will go up next year regardless. It's been seven years without an increase an d I need to at least match inflation or always buy crappier and crappier stuff.
Lates...

Darren "Gav" Bleuel
(Nukees, an atomic comic)
Gav
Keenspot Whipping Boy

Return to Nukees