[Story 1-20-09]Unbelievable

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Re: [Story 1-20-09]Unbelievable

Postby ChronosCat on Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:03 pm

Berpol wrote:I wonder what she wanted to say in panel 3, "Bigfoot isn't..."

I assumed it was "confirmed" (which Ed referred to Bigfoot as in panel 2).

Jstone wrote:What's up with the sound guy's let arm in panel 1? It looks like a flipper.

I think his under-shirt is long-sleeved.

raekuul wrote:
Aeg'air wrote:Yay! Don't forget the man eating monkeys!

Wh...where does the hyphen go?

Why, between "man" and "eating", of course. Still, they're not nearly as dangerous as the demon-worm-covered pigs, never mind the many-antlered deer that causes a literal wave of death killing everything for miles if you cut off its' head...
Last edited by ChronosCat on Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby nitpicking on Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:49 pm

Illusionist wrote:Also, I hold some tabloids in very high regard. Especially The Sun. Sure, it's almost as bad as the Daily Mail or the Express, but at least it doesn't pretend to be classy. I respect its honesty.

In the States, "tabloid" means "rag". Good papers published in the tabloid format like Long Island's Newsday are never referred to as "tabloids".

Dragonstar wrote:Reminds me of a very old comedy routine:
(Paraphrased since I don't know the lines by heart)
GB: How did your fishing go?

GA: Oh, it went great! I caught a man eating shrimp!

GB: A man eating shrimp?

GA: Yeah! There was a man eating a plate of shrimp over there, and I caught him!

((cookies for whoever guesses who GB and GA stand for))

What if I'm old enough that I don't need to guess?
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Stardrake_ on Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:20 am

*points to Dan's post, and then at Australia's climate* This is why we have quarantine...

Regarding the comedy snippet... I can't put a context to it, but I'm imagining it in a British accent - something like Monty Python, the Goodies, or the Goon Show.
"The conflict is not between Christianity and Islam or between East and West - instead, it is between stupid people and other stupid people." - Terry Pratchett

AKA Stellar_Dragon (lost when an attempt to change the linked email address went wrong) and Stardrake (obliterated in the Great Keenspot Crash of '03).

People who are fed up with unreadably small font may wish to look here. For those who POST such text, however, this is not an excuse. Surely 6-pt gets the point across without requiring shenanigans to read?
Stardrake_
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: Department of Paranormal Zoology, Magitech Division, Funky Horror

Postby Circe on Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:29 am

Somehow I doubt this news report is going to go how Susan would want. Reporters always twist things around -- Susan will probably be portrayed as a lesbian student (cause she's holding hands with Cat and wearing pants) who is rebelling against the principal.

horus wrote:
Ineluki wrote:Wanted to play around with coloring a bit, so, here's a news lady for you.
egs20090120_color.png

Feel free to avatarize it.

Hmm... you readin' my mind? That's the hair color, almost exactly, that I pictured. Thanks.

Later On,
D

First, I liked the coloring in general....but I expected her to be blonde.

We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blonde who
Comes on at five
She can tell you bout the plane crash with a gleam
In her eye
Its interesting when people die-
Give us dirty laundry

- Don Henley, Dirty Laundry

OK, so I'm showing my age again...
"I do not dwell on the past, dahling, it distracts from the now."
- Edna Mode, The Incredibles

"The world is a mess and I just need to rule it."
- Dr. Horrible, Dr. Horrible's Sing A Long Blog

Silly, amateurish artwork available at deviantART.

Got a SecondLife? Find me there as "Circe Silvera"!
Circe
Keenspot Despot

Postby Ineluki on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:20 am

@horus: why, yes, I do read your mind, fellow red-head lover. ;)

@circe: thanks. I just try to avoid blond whenever possible. Think it's a boring hair color.

I actually didn't even think when quickly choosing those colors, having in mind that I could easily select&change them afterwards. But then I kinda forgot about that in general :> Oh well...
Image_Image_Image
My DeviantArt Page - EGS Personality Quiz
»I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it.« - Joker
Ineluki
Keenspot Despot

Postby Reg DeCurry on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:48 am

Hmm...I wonder if Diane watches the news.
I have never seen a giraffe shot out of a cannon through a maternity ward into a bowl of chili. But I oh so desperately want to.

Avatar drawn by Darkshive, colorized by unlucky_days, and animated by xyzzy_n.[/size]
Reg DeCurry
Keenspot Despot

Postby Illusionist on Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:17 am

nitpicking wrote:
Illusionist wrote:Also, I hold some tabloids in very high regard. Especially The Sun. Sure, it's almost as bad as the Daily Mail or the Express, but at least it doesn't pretend to be classy. I respect its honesty.

In the States, "tabloid" means "rag". Good papers published in the tabloid format like Long Island's Newsday are never referred to as "tabloids".

That's just about what it means in the UK, too.

The Sun is a rag, and it doesn't pretend not to be. The Daily Mail and Express are rags that pretend to be good papers published in tabloid format.

The Mirror, the other main tabloid, is about half-way. It's nowhere near as bad as The Sun, but it still relies on gossip for a lot of its front pages.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Dragonstar on Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:12 pm

nitpicking wrote:
Dragonstar wrote:Reminds me of a very old comedy routine:
(Paraphrased since I don't know the lines by heart)
GB: How did your fishing go?

GA: Oh, it went great! I caught a man eating shrimp!

GB: A man eating shrimp?

GA: Yeah! There was a man eating a plate of shrimp over there, and I caught him!

((cookies for whoever guesses who GB and GA stand for))

What if I'm old enough that I don't need to guess?

Either way. Also, I don't think I should be old enough to not guess, but I still know them.

Another good routine (that has nothing to do with the thread at hand):

GB: Did the nurse drop you on your head as a baby?
GA: No, we were poor. My mother had to do it.
Dragonstar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Daremo on Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:30 pm

Say goodnight, Gracie.

Goodnight Gracie!
"Maybe he's wise."
"He don't look wise."

Daremo
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Location: Over the Mountains of the Moon, down the Valley of the Shadow.

Postby Darekun on Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:52 pm

DarkShive wrote:I actually found out that Photoshop actually lightens my comics when I import them from Illustrator in spite of not telling it to do anything like that and both documents being in RGB.

Sounds like a gamma thing, but that's only a gamma of 1.29, hm...

Circe wrote:First, I liked the coloring in general....but I expected her to be blonde.

Yeah, I totally imagined her as a bottle blonde myself. The fact that her eyebrows are just little black lines doesn't help ;)

It looks a bit better in the proper gamma, but still every panel looks flat except for the last two - which, coincidentally, have the most grey in them.

Also, Dan, your filesize would go down if you switched to greyscale, you're already using an 8-bit palette.
If you must feed the troll, take it to PMs.
To help avoid feeding the troll, there's an ignore feature.

TFed male as "Darechan" for Sister II!
Best EGS video. Ever.
Whereas I... am not an artist.
Tricia wrote:No. There's no way in hell you're going to get away with shit like that. Go ahead and state those so-called "reasons".
Darekun
Keenspot Despot

Postby nitpicking on Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:26 pm

Wow, behind schedule already--the new one was supposed to be up over 2 hours ago!

Kidding, Dan, kidding.
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tybalt on Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:32 am

Speaking of which, January 21, 2002 to January 21, 2009 makes EGS 7 years old since yesterday. Just saying.
Tybalt
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby nitpicking on Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:58 am

Happy birthday, EGS!
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:16 am

nitpicking wrote:Wow, behind schedule already--the new one was supposed to be up over 2 hours ago!

Kidding, Dan, kidding.

No, you don't have to sugarcoat it. The new comic is late. Dan screwed up, and he's not even giving us an excuse.

Boy, this black and white thing is doing wonders for the schedule, huh?
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Nocturn on Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:38 am

Illusionist wrote:Boy, this black and white thing is doing wonders for the schedule, huh?

You mean it is not a miracle solution to unreliable update schedules?

I refuse to believe this blasphemy.

ilikepie wrote:Noxy = love + insanity + sharp pointy objects
Nocturn
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Aeg'air on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:33 pm

Nocturn wrote:
Illusionist wrote:Boy, this black and white thing is doing wonders for the schedule, huh?

You mean it is not a miracle solution to unreliable update schedules?

I refuse to believe this blasphemy.

Bunny Blasphemer!!!

Come off it, it's not that late, at least we have an update.
ImageMy devart page now has stuff!
Inventory
I will soon upload an avvy I have made. Until then I will use this Namin'e avvy for the sake of confusion and the text.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:38 pm

It's not that late, but it is late. I think we have a right to complain, especially when lateness comes on top of having black and white forced on us.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Aeg'air on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:48 pm

Illusionist wrote:It's not that late, but it is late. I think we have a right to complain, especially when lateness comes on top of having black and white forced on us.

Do we know why it's late? It might have nothing to do with Dan..... I mean I wouldn't have known it was late if I'd got online a few hours later...
Inventory
I will soon upload an avvy I have made. Until then I will use this Namin'e avvy for the sake of confusion and the text.
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:54 pm

No, we don't know. Dan hasn't bothered to tell us. Usually he at least does that.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby The Old Hack on Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:51 pm

Illusionist wrote:It's not that late, but it is late. I think we have a right to complain, especially when lateness comes on top of having black and white forced on us.

Illusionist is right, we have a right to complain. When I think of all the money we are paying Dan to do this!

...um, wait. How much were we paying him again?
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby nitpicking on Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:47 pm

The Old Hack wrote:

Illusionist is right, we have a right to complain. When I think of all the money we are paying Dan to do this!

Not to be too self-righteous, but some of us have in fact paid him, for instance by purchasing his books.
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby The Old Hack on Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:07 am

nitpicking wrote:Not to be too self-righteous, but some of us have in fact paid him, for instance by purchasing his books.

Including me, and I got my books. Also, when I donate to a webcomic, I usually do it because I have already read a lot of strips, I do it by way of thanks and in the hopes of encouraging more. I have never seen myself as the boss of Dan or of any other webcomic artist.

Come to think of it, I can't recall even one case where I have ever donated money to a webcomic without having read it but with the confident expectation of receiving future strips in reimbursement.
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tarvok on Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:14 am

The key is to keep the artist happy so he keeps churning out strips. Giving money in thanks (or even just thanks, sans money) is conducive to this end. Talking about the guy on the forums like he's some sort of lazy slave is not.
To those who understand
I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand
Take me as I am
Tarvok
Keenspot Despot

Postby Illusionist on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:05 am

The Old Hack wrote:

The EGS site has adverts. Every hit Dan gets gives him money.

It's not much, but in a roundabout way, we pay him.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Aeg'air on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:57 am

Illusionist wrote:
The Old Hack wrote:

The EGS site has adverts. Every hit Dan gets gives him money.

It's not much, but in a roundabout way, we pay him.

Not really, we don't give him a penny ((Unless we donate or buy his books)) so why should he slave away for us? He does have a life to live ((I presume)) and just cos we're not getting entirely regular comics doesn't mean that we should complain at him.
Inventory
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

PreviousNext

Return to El Goonish Shive