[S.T.O.R.Y. 5/30/02] Called in heartbroken

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

[S.T.O.R.Y. 5/30/02] Called in heartbroken

Postby Chaos Priest on Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:42 pm

http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020530.html

Man, I never thought about it before but Elliot really took losing both Nanase and Sarah hard, didn't he? I have to say it's a bit harsh for Tedd to call him a wuss over it, but then he apparently doubts that the situation is how Elliot described it. I wonder what he thinks happened then? That Elliot is just being a drama queen over a couple of girls saying "no" to going out with him? Or maybe just that Elliot didn't want to admit that he was sick or something.

With regards to Matt and Rat, while it may be entertaining to have the occasional fourth-wall-aware/breaking character, and I think it could be a somewhat funny storyline if it were separate, the placement in the middle of the Sister storyline just seems now like it was a bad idea. I'd be fine with seeing them again someday if Dan decided to bring them back, but only if the comic itself had finished its current drama and was taking a silliness break, such as with the squirrel negotiations.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 5/30/02] Called in heartbroken

Postby DemonicAngel on Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:51 pm

The thing is...Dan seems pretty set on making this Sister II as sequely as possible - even random screaming chick got another appearance. So...reckon it's likely Matt & Rat are gonna make a comeback?
DemonicAngela - Gender changed bunny
Warning: Read this, and lose the game.
DemonicAngel
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby nitpicking on Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:02 pm

Matt and Rat as done then would totally fail to fit this storyline. I'd love to see them in the background of a panel or two, though.

Heck, I wouldn't mind seeing the rat creature return as a drawing in Sarah's long-ignored sketchbook. (Actually, a potential nod would be Matt, Rat, and the creature attacking squirrel-Dan for not using them any more ... in a drawing by Sarah, who we know draws Dan.)
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Chaos Priest on Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:31 pm

nitpicking wrote:Matt and Rat as done then would totally fail to fit this storyline.

They fit in the last time?
Heck, I wouldn't mind seeing the rat creature return as a drawing in Sarah's long-ignored sketchbook. (Actually, a potential nod would be Matt, Rat, and the creature attacking squirrel-Dan for not using them any more ... in a drawing by Sarah, who we know draws Dan.)

I wonder what Matt and Rat's reactions would be to seeing that drawing.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby The Old Hack on Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:41 pm

I have to admit... they're a letdown. I mean, yesterday: Susan. Today: Matt and Rat. While Susan is a hard act to follow for almost anyone, in this case she serves to even more underscore how little that pair fits. :-?

As to Elliot, well... going to Tedd for sympathy would probably have worked out better if he hadn't been in a state of blind fury from Tony's hazing. I know that I myself am not exactly a gushing fount of empathy and support when I am worked up and angry about something.
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tarvok on Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:07 am

Here's my question. Were there any forum-going fans at the time who knew Dan's early work, and thus understood this little cameo? Are any of them still around today? What did they think of this at the time?
To those who understand
I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand
Take me as I am
Tarvok
Keenspot Despot

Postby ChronosCat on Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:51 pm

== Spring, 2006 ==

Chronos: Wow, a bit of drama here. Also, some fourth-wall breaking - haven't seen that since the introductory arc (not counting the strips that interrupted the story).

== Jan, 2009 ==

Crystal: It's funny how Elliot never mentioned Nanase's name in that phone-call. Had Dan not yet decided Tedd and Nanase were cousins?

Oh, and why was Tedd using the pay-phone? I guess he hadn't gotten the cell-phone he has in the current arc...
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to El Goonish Shive