[STORY 5/23/08] O RLY?

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Re: [STORY 5/23/08] O RLY?

Postby Moodyman90 on Thu May 22, 2008 8:22 pm

WalkerBoh wrote:That's really not in character for him. How many years of abuse did it take before he decided he'd try a forced transformation on Tony (which he never went through with)? The rest seem to be far less concerned with going out of their way to taunt him, so I don't imagine he could work himself up to that. It might occur to him, but I'd bet my left arm he never does it.

Yeah, you have a point there. And Tedd just snapping and doing that isn't really a good idea either. Thus a case of my less thought out ideas/thoughts.

But I still feel like Tedd IS going to do something. In public or in private he's going to do something. Atleast something for Susan. Geeze, this is starting to make me depressed.
Mainly because I admire Susan and want her to beat the system and finaly win for once. I was with Catalina when she called everybody jackass after they abandoned Susan when they found out she wasn't gunning for getting rid of the uniforms altogether, a bit less vocal then Catalina was.
Currently Moodywoman90.

"There's no such thing as sanity or normal, thus there is no such thing as crazy, strange, or weird."-Me Kinda fits in EGS no?
The reasoning behind it, everybody has done/said/thought of something that sombody else thinks is weird and/or crazy, which can't be turned around and used against said person, thus a never-ending loop that eliminates sanity and normality. But I will agree that there are different levels everybody is willing to accept.
EGS personality quiz result : You are Sarah!
(well-adjusted, prude, judging, good-natured) Does that also make me unremarkable?
Moodyman90
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Unforgiven on Thu May 22, 2008 8:28 pm

So we have Sarah misunderstanding Susan's silence, and Tedd feeling awkward because he knows Susan might leave North over the uniform affair and he knows Sarah doesn't know that. Then again, maybe the whole Catalina ordeal will throw a wrench in the works there.

Also, I think this comic shows us what MS Comic Chat would've looked like now if they had continued developing it. :)

A cookie wrapped in shiny plastic for anyone who remembers Comic Chat. :P
El Goonish Shive Character of the Day:
EGS character of the day

My El Goonish Shive page - home of the English/Uryuomoco Translator and the Character Statistics.
Unforgiven
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby WalkerBoh on Thu May 22, 2008 8:32 pm

@Moodyman90: Then you are my brother. I really think it'll be going to school in the uniforms he got from Susan. I also wonder what will happen when Tony sees that. It freaked him out big time to see Grace's Tedd-clone-form without glasses; I don't know what he'll do when confronted with actual drag.

EDIT: @Unforgiven: Well, I didn't remember, but I found out. Can I get a cookie without shiny plastic, or maybe some shiny plastic without a cookie?
You are in my Monkeysphere.
KimberBoh - Sister 2 Gender-swapped bunny
Winner of the Golden Udder

My Gear
WalkerBoh, Lord of Halloween
WalkerBoh, Prince of Winter
Master of the Universe
Compliments of Cerridwen
WalkerBoh
Keenspot Despot

Postby Moodyman90 on Thu May 22, 2008 8:40 pm

@Unforgiven: Looks like I miss out on that items. Too bad cause I would have liked another one, but I'll earn it another way.

@WalkerBoh: Tony would probably have a break down of some kind. Between being "right" about Tedd wearing drag and the confusing feelings he would have towards Tedd because he really look like a girl, he would have some kind of break down. He will either stop picking on Tedd after that, or renew his bullying after Tedd dresses normal again. I'm sure we know what would happen if he decided to do that again.
Currently Moodywoman90.

"There's no such thing as sanity or normal, thus there is no such thing as crazy, strange, or weird."-Me Kinda fits in EGS no?
The reasoning behind it, everybody has done/said/thought of something that sombody else thinks is weird and/or crazy, which can't be turned around and used against said person, thus a never-ending loop that eliminates sanity and normality. But I will agree that there are different levels everybody is willing to accept.
(well-adjusted, prude, judging, good-natured) Does that also make me unremarkable?
Moodyman90
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby WalkerBoh on Thu May 22, 2008 9:04 pm

Yeah, I'm with you on the breakdown, but there's another aspect to consider. The support felt for those who buck the system and attempt change. No one is really happy with the uniforms, and every show of disobedience reinforces that (the conversations that follow may not help). Of course, Susan (who has been seen at lunch with Tedd and defending him from Tony) was the first to do this, so everyone will immediately know it's a show of support for her, but a far more drastic exhibition from a societal point of view (girls in pants = normal; guys in skirts = abnormal). (You know, it's not too much to expect rumors at North pairing Susan and Tedd in the coming weeks.) Anyway, you'll end up with something like this going through Tony's head about the situation.

Code: Select all
        --------Tedd
        |       / \
        |      ?   ?
        |     /     \
        x   Tony-x-Susan
        |     \     /
        |      x   x
        |       \ /
        ------uniforms

My Gear
Master of the Universe
Compliments of Cerridwen
WalkerBoh
Keenspot Despot

This is a relevant response - if you don't get it, be happy.

Postby Kizor on Thu May 22, 2008 9:24 pm

Unforgiven wrote:A cookie wrapped in shiny plastic for anyone who remembers Comic Chat. :P

HURRRRRRR
Kizor
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Moodyman90 on Thu May 22, 2008 9:28 pm

You have made a good point but my brain has shut down for the night so I'm not quiet getting it right now. I think my brain just pulled a Tony, which is bad. Sleep now, heavy thinking tomarrow.
Currently Moodywoman90.

Moodyman90
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby eman on Thu May 22, 2008 10:14 pm

I name this hybrid Rowling-Shive abomination: Saramione Brownger.

Saramione appears to have a different face from Sarah. Is it just the glasses and hair, or art improvements, or are they actually supposed to look different? I think Saramione looks better than Sarah has in the past.
eman
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby horus on Thu May 22, 2008 10:39 pm

Just quickly: Loved both avatars and both "familiars".

Definitely agree this conversation cranks up the heat on the Susan Situation somewhat. (I can hear Samuel L. Jackson now, "You gotta understand what an explosive element this Susan Situation is...")

Is it just me or does Tedd in Panel 3 resemble this girl? (Last panel, please.)

Tedd as a magical girl? Nah. He's too much of a techno-geek-girl! :wink:

This is a cool comic. Dan: get Tedd a new computer workstation, STAT! Maybe his dad can come up with something bought at a government auction?

Later On,
D
Incarnating as Het-heru for the duration of the Sister II story arc.

"It is my firm belief that it is a mistake to hold firm beliefs."
A Proud Member of Quote Pyramid Demolition Workers' Union Local No. 72
XP: We don't need no stinkin' XP (yet)!
EGS Inventory: Standard Newbie Pack (1 dead fish, 6 cans of unlabeled soda, 1 TF gun, 1 Squirrel teddy, "1 Thing I've forgotten" (from who?), a copy of Cat Chicks Magazine, and a Grace VooDoo doll.
Image Image
ImageImage
horus
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby broken_hero on Thu May 22, 2008 10:42 pm

@eman: I think it's because wizard Sarah's hair is fluffier than regular Sarah's.
@horus: "Any sufficiently advanced science will be indistinguishable from magic."

I'm pretty sure Tedd will show up at school in the girls' uniform. When he does that, Elliot will disappear for a few moments, then return wearing the same. Then anarchy will break out, as everyone switches. Verruckt will have no other choice but to abolish the uniforms. He can't punish everyone. Not effectively, anyway. I wonder what the teachers think about the dread uniforms. The world's worst Science Teacher probably doesn't care, but what about the rest of them? Could some of the other teachers secretly support Susan?
"There is no creativity in certainty" - Deepak Chopra
Temporarily broken_heroine for the duration of Sister II
broken_hero's bad drawings, via Deviant Art broken_hero's Mayhem wiki Image
broken_hero's rookie webcomic, Khatru
broken_hero
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Location: Chicago, IL, home of Da Bears, Da Bulls, Da Hawks, and some baseball teams.

Postby WalkerBoh on Thu May 22, 2008 10:49 pm

horus wrote:Is it just me or does Tedd in Panel 3 resemble this girl? (Last panel, please.)

Kinda, yeah. The expression is nigh identical, and with aTedd (avatar Tedd) having long hair, the left side of the face is really similar, but aTedd's hair has a lot more body and is parted differently. Also, Nameless Girl With Lines #97 is heftier than aTedd.

My Gear
Master of the Universe
Compliments of Cerridwen
WalkerBoh
Keenspot Despot

Postby broken_hero on Thu May 22, 2008 10:54 pm

Just had a sudden thought. What is Susan gonna say when she finds out Sarah told Tedd all this behind her back? Most of the girls I know hate it when things like this happen. I imagine a "You told him what?!?!" kind of reaction from Susan after Tedd shows up doing ...whatever it is he's planning on doing. Especially if he shows up ranting about stuff Sarah told him. Especially especially if he's wrong or pig-headed about it.
"There is no creativity in certainty" - Deepak Chopra
Temporarily broken_heroine for the duration of Sister II
broken_hero's bad drawings, via Deviant Art broken_hero's Mayhem wiki Image
broken_hero's rookie webcomic, Khatru
broken_hero
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Location: Chicago, IL, home of Da Bears, Da Bulls, Da Hawks, and some baseball teams.

Postby Brasten on Thu May 22, 2008 11:02 pm

Do we hope for an EGS Council of Doom? I'm going to have to dig around for material to do a character matchup.
Brasten
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby The kool on Thu May 22, 2008 11:14 pm

I am mildly surprised no-one has made avatars of the avatars yet.
Mayhem: We're not crazy, you're just too sane.

Current avatar: That would be Tyrion. Or his head, at any rate.
You can find my inventory, games run, and characters played on my wiki page. It is horribly out of date, though.
I also has a deviantART!
Best. Scene. Ever.
Since counters seem popular, The warnings on my IDBs have been ignored 3 times.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it. - Edgar Allen Poe
I'm wearing a skirt, and I've got boobs. I'm not going to start worrying about my manly image now. - Elliot
Logic is fun. It makes great squealing noises when you torture it. - BRE
Yes, it is rather hard to kill when you inflict numerical HP damage rather than, you know, actual injuries. - Drayco
Drayco, he's the one with enough muses to fill up the U.S Senate and still have some left over for the house of representatives. - Lohti. Rest in peace, man.
The kool
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Acriaos on Fri May 23, 2008 12:22 am

broken_hero wrote:Just had a sudden thought. What is Susan gonna say when she finds out Sarah told Tedd all this behind her back? Most of the girls I know hate it when things like this happen. I imagine a "You told him what?!?!" kind of reaction from Susan after Tedd shows up doing ...whatever it is he's planning on doing. Especially if he shows up ranting about stuff Sarah told him. Especially especially if he's wrong or pig-headed about it.

I doubt Susan would be pissed at Sarah for telling Tedd this stuff, since Susan has actually told Tedd more than she has told to Sarah. She would be pretty mad, if Tedd told Sarah about her intentions to leave the school, but Tedd avoided talking about that, as he realized, how serious Susan was. Sarah just told Tedd more or less, that Susan was quite while driving home, but that was because of Catalina. So if anyone here is wrong about something that could make Susan mad again, it would be Sarah.

Somehow the comic reminded me at the "golden compass"... hmm, might it have something to do with little animals around them, that are an important part of that person?

Edit:
The kool wrote:I am mildly surprised no-one has made avatars of the avatars yet.

Ask and you shall receive :)
Image Image
Acriaos
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Sasoria on Fri May 23, 2008 12:58 am

showler wrote:Did anyone else get the impression that Tedd's perfect record of "no (intentional) cross dressing" is about to be broken?

That's certainly the impression I got. His eyes in the last two panels tell all.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

Sasoria
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ineluki on Fri May 23, 2008 1:00 am

The kool wrote:I am mildly surprised no-one has made avatars of the avatars yet.

few hours, still gotta finish something else first...

@Tedd's gonna do something:
I simply can't imagine Tedd going out in drag to school. Really, that'd seem to much of a harsch action from him, considering how much he already cares what other's think about him. Sure, he does want to help, but he won't be able to escape his mental blockades so easily.
he could pull of something really wierd when only the principal looks, however.. after all, that one already knows about the TFG tech, since they explained it to him when Elliot went to school as Ellen first.

@avatar companions:
tedd's companion instantly reminded me of Dan's Raquirrets, minus the ears of course. So adorable, I agree, especially p5!

AFNB wrote:Did anyone else notice that Tedd's background was of "Anime High School"?

no, but it does say so above the door ;)
Image_Image_Image
My DeviantArt Page - EGS Personality Quiz
»I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it.« - Joker
Ineluki
Keenspot Despot

Postby yreomyr on Fri May 23, 2008 1:08 am

It seems that a lot of people think Tedd's gonna go drag at school, I agree. However, I also think he's also gonna go without his glasses-ses-ses-ses.

This would not only show his incredible support toward Susan and her cause, but would also "justify" the previous recap comic about why he wears his glasses when out of the house.
yreomyr
Keenspot Despot

Postby Sasoria on Fri May 23, 2008 1:12 am

Does anyone else find it ironic that although they're both currently fighting against school uniforms, both of their avatars are dressed in school uniforms?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

Sasoria
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Arkus Zero on Fri May 23, 2008 1:16 am

A return of EGS cyberspace, a world where everyone is their avatar, I love these parts.

I can understand Tedd's original concern over Grace, but fact is she ended up having a great time while Susan is the one that is having a terrible day, at least now he understands although it had to hit him like a ton of bricks.
Arkus Zero
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Amon Star on Fri May 23, 2008 2:33 am

First off, pouting Tedd from panel 1 is SO CUTE! I just want to gobble him up.

As for the rest, its good that Tedd finally realizes the gravitas of the situation with Susan. Though his supreme confidence in her ability was also good. Lets hope that he can keep that & still be more helpful. As for what he's planning, I have no idea.

So, Sarah is a Potter Fan. But Dan has said she's not a Harry/Hermione shipper. Hmm.

Anyway, I new that Tedd's familiar was a squirrel & probably represented Grace, but I didn't guess at the Owl = Elliot thing. Probably because Sarah is less reliant on her other half than Tedd is, so I subconsciously assumed she wouldn't need I digital representation. However, if she was going to have a pet anyway, I guess it makes sense to make it an Elliot substitute.
Sasoria wrote:Does anyone else find it ironic that although they're both currently fighting against school uniforms, both of their avatars are dressed in school uniforms?

:lol:

Good point. However, their Avatar's uniforms don't suck.
My RP Characters

My Battle Cry: "I'm going to bruise you until you taste like chicken, and dip you in uranium!!"
Weapon of Choice: Gilded Boxing Gloves.
anti-paragon wrote:Besides, does Keenspot really want vagabond bunnies raving through the forums, huddling near flamewars to keep warm and eating the offal of slain strips?
Amon Star
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Illusionist on Fri May 23, 2008 2:44 am

Oh, there is just no way Sarah's in Gryffindor. Hufflepuff for sure. Elliot's in Gryffindor, definitely. Susan's probably a Ravenclaw seeing as she's smart and she doesn't get enough screen time. Tedd's a Slytherin, from before they got changed from "ambitious" to "pure evil, every single one of the traitorous bastards".
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Ineluki on Fri May 23, 2008 2:52 am

ImageImage
ImageImage
there you go.
Image_Image_Image
My DeviantArt Page - EGS Personality Quiz
»I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it.« - Joker
Ineluki
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tricia on Fri May 23, 2008 3:05 am

hrm.

Seems that lately, when there's a comic I'd likely enjoy, there's something in it that makes me dislike it.

Ah well.

*waits for Monday, to see if the streak breaks...*
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby Illusionist on Fri May 23, 2008 3:09 am

It's called "lack of perfection". It's a problem with the real world.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

PreviousNext

Return to El Goonish Shive