CSS for IE

Life at the help desk of Ubersoft, a software company.

Moderators: wrightc, stjen

CSS for IE

Postby jediknil on Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:54 pm

Well, you did ask, and the best thing I've found is IE7 by Dean Edwards.

I've been reading Kernel Panic and Help Desk for a while now...nice job.
jediknil
Junior Keenspotter

Postby wrightc on Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:11 am

I tried IE7 once on the wordpress site... I could never get it to work. It seems like a really cool idea, though.
Christopher B. Wright (wrightc@ubersoft.net)
The Internet's Most Dangerous Cartoonist
Help Desk: http://www.ubersoft.net
wrightc
Keenspot Despot

Getting IE6 to play nice with CSS

Postby KnightSword on Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:02 pm

Having been around CSS and tableless design for a while, I know a good way to get CSS and IE to play nice. Although, it's not nice. This is the key to get it to work: IE's conditional comments system.

http://www.quirksmode.org/css/condcom.html

What I do when I design a site, is to develop it in Opera or Firefox, etc (you know a good CSS browser) and then load it in IE6, IE7, etc. The little annoying QUIRKS! that you are bound to see in IE6 and IE7 can't be polished up by fixing them on the master css page, but they can be polished up by a seperate IE "fixer" page. Basically, you load in the conditional comments section this fixer page, and specify the CSS in it that IE6 needs to fix the problems that its poor implementation causes. Usually, they tend to be rather short, since they only fix CSS of the original page, not completely replace it (although I guess you could replace it if you're a total masochist). Anyway, that's one pretty safe way to handle IE6's little QUIRKS.
KnightSword
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Help Desk