[Blog - Mar 21 2006] Of Avatars

A place to discuss deshive.com, the central hub for Dan Shive's (author of El Goonish Shive) projects. It has blogs, too! ...but no pool table :(

Moderator: DarkShive

[Blog - Mar 21 2006] Of Avatars

Postby DarkShive on Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:05 pm

Discuss--I know you wanna :-D
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby Deiwos on Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:29 pm

*Laughs* I had wondered why that Reviewer Avatar felt so right! I love getting little things like this, the explanations behind the avatars. It's fun! ^_^~
Deiwos
Newb pack, half bottle of immortaility infused water, instant gravy pack, emu, auto-cleaning label,
Ninja Tedd action figure, pinapple cheese, from Jasmine: Australian Style Hat that says, "Here, fishy fishy!",
a giant tub of chocolate, perma-melted, Chibi Jyrras Plushie from anti-paragon.

Current form: *Points at avatar* Jyrras Gianna

anthro-kangarro rat.. FTW -Alavaria
Moderator Powers Activate! Form of Thread Lock! -Berk
If you waste all your water, then you deserve to go thirsty. -sven8705

It's OK to be a little scared of the outside world... -Dan
Final warning... -Abel
But don't you worry widdle Abel-Wable... I'll protect you from all the mean old mall ladies! -Dan
... OK now I got to kill you. -Abel

From DMFA
Deiwos
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby suomynonAyletamitlU on Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:33 pm

So, the real reason behind the Squirrel Girl/Boy avatar? Interesting that it apprently has nothing whatsoever to do with your own appearance. I would never have guessed, but then, I wouldn't have thought very hard about it anyway.
For convenience, my name can be shortened to Sayu.
Image Proud animator of:
Image Image Image Image
And remember: Separate the madness from the genius, and you lose half the wisdom.
suomynonAyletamitlU
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Grim Atescu on Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:04 pm

Nice explanation. I can understand with the hat thing, even though I never draw - though I'd expect hands and feet to be up there, too, to hear everyone complain about 'em...
This is my sig. It is cute. --> @_ *wai!*
The sig likes cookies. --> c@_ *nom*
You will give it cookies, or it will steal your soul. --> @/ *rar*
Beware the cuteness of the sig!
===
"And YOU, Grim, write adorable honeymoon scenes." - VOR
Grim Atescu
Keenspot Deity

Postby Lomgren on Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:10 pm

Indeed, that was quite interesting. I don't think anyone here expected that would be the source of your avatar at all.

And yes, there are a lot of things that are evil to try and draw correctly. I've had the benefit of having some art classes while I was in elementary and high school, so I know about drawing persepective and stuff like that, but characters and "real life" still give me a hard time.
"Illustrious 'Lommy' Lomgren" - anti-paragon, "The Doer of Impossible Things" - Demonic Duck
(Got pulled in by the GPF guest strips. Read the archive in one night, getting 2 hours of sleep)
Image Image
Epic Patrol Bunny artist and avatarist, 12867 bunnypoints (version 2.8, Oct 31, 2006)
Image Image
My inventory ... Where I finished reading carrot..?
Avatar drawn by KillerFish, colored by me. Thanks!
(banners clickable!)
Lomgren
Keenspot Singularity

Postby Cyril on Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:16 pm

I don't want to not have to discuss! ;)

Yeah, that was cool. I figured that there had to be a different reason behind your avatar origin than something simple. (You know, it didn't make much sense to me that you appeared first as a girl with a sensible excuse, only never to do it again)

Although... something about that button Minion pressed... oh well I digress.

I figured the Blog Avatar and the Review Avatar. They both look so cute... you make the comic book guy almost huggable.
HAHAHAH! I have musics!

Cyril's Mad Music "It may look like crap, but it sounds sooooo good!" In some altrenate universe! >_>

My sucky Fanmusic thread! (why didn't I think of Putting it in my sig before?)

Cyril
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Xiroth on Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:20 pm

Lomgren wrote:Indeed, that was quite interesting. I don't think anyone here expected that would be the source of your avatar at all.

Really? Huh, I thought it was mentioned in a filler comic. Looking back, though, looks like I was wrong :-? Dan must have explained it in an old forum post.
Xiroth
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: [Blog - Mar 21 2006] Of Avatars

Postby sreq on Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:31 pm

DarkShive wrote:A common joke I've encountered is something happening to someone, followed by them defiantly declaring that they're going to write about it in their blog.

Its only a funny joke because it happens. I dont know how many times ive said that. Granted, it's usually about stupid conversations that made me laugh til i had tears, but still.

...this post sounded better in my head...
Inventory:
a TF gun,a cookie in a shiny wrapper(minus one bite),a squirrel teddy,a six pack of Dr. Germahn/Tedd co. soda,a dead fish (deep sea angler),a tuna flavored yogurt maker, an emu,
And my prized possesion: One Email to me from Dan Shive himself, bronzed for posterity! (Thanks again for the help Dan!)

"You friggin time travellers have no respect for continuity." - Sayu

DiscWorld Bunnies--Sreq, Coina, Pillow_Ninja, FerretBob, Yoav--Others added upon discovery or request!
sreq
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Sqauto on Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:50 pm

Well, it is great to see the inner workings of Dan. But I didn't think of those things before I read them.
I am what I am.
I am a Professional Hostage
ImageImage

Just say NO to Squato.
Sqauto
Keenspot Deity

Postby Nimelennar on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:36 pm

The "mopey teenager" thing brought this to mind:
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/46453

Not that Dan's a 13-year-old girl, or a pedophile, or...
You know, I think I'm going to quit while I'm still in one piece and let you read the link.
<Nimelennar> No, it's not Nime, it's Nim.
ImageImageImageImage
Umichot ceamjic seerol yum Uryuomoco.
DDCC banner shrunk by request.
Nimelennar
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Weep on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:32 am

Don't worry Dan, the gothy avatar for the blog is well-drawn, the joke is easy to infer, and funny. :)

suomynonAyletamitlU wrote:Interesting that it apprently has nothing whatsoever to do with your own appearance.
Well, I believe he has said somewhere before (ie. in a filler) that he looks nothing like his avatar. Still, I thought it would have had a bit more of a personal history, and would have been specifically designed - for example, I believe he's said that of the characters he writes, he connects best with Grace, and then having a squirrel avatar lead me to think squirrels might be his favorite type of animal or somehow symbolic of some aspect of his personality or whatever. I'm especially surprised the hair color isn't personally based. But now we know. And knowing is half the *bricked*

Typo: the link to the filler version of Goth Dan is currently spelled "filled version".

I'll close off with this, in the interests of being an insufferable know-it-all: I bet gamma correction wasn't factored into that mathematical average of the hair colors. ;) *flees*
Meganekko-sense...tingling...
My fanstuff and art thread.
"Bunion Memorabilia" - Professor Tomoe
Wannabe-member of MOOMANiBE's fang club.
Weep
Keenspot Despot

sRGB Color Space and Average Colors

Postby VidTheKid on Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:21 am

Weep wrote:I'll close off with this, in the interests of being an insufferable know-it-all: I bet gamma correction wasn't factored into that mathematical average of the hair colors. ;) *flees*

haHA, that is exactly what I came here this minute to mention!

See, in the Standard RGB Color Space, the number assigned to a color channel does not correspond linearly with the amount of energy in that part of the spectrum. Instead, it's (brightness) = (rgb number) ^ 2.2 . So, as it turns out, a root-mean-square of all of the characters' hair colors would be closer to correct, and the ultimate average of correctness would be the average of all the colors each rased to the power of 2.2, and then that number raised to the power of .45454545454545, repeated for each color channel.

There's two reasons why sRGB has a gamma value of 2.2, instead of being linear: 1) it's sort of an average of what results from (especially older) uncorrected equipment, and 2) it's fairly close to how the human eye perceives brightness. That's why RGB(128,128,128) looks like halfway between black and white, even though you know now that it is technically not. Anyway, the human perception factor doesn't work as well in color-to-color situations, which is why the purple in Grim Atescu's signature image appears darker than either the red or the blue in either end of the gradient. Had he applied a gamma correction of 2.2 to his image after composing it, it would look quite a bit better (assuming he used different shades to begin with, to compensate for the final correction step).

This is all described on the Personal Standards section of my website, but I pretty much hit all the talking poitns here.

Does this font make me look fat?
VidTheKid
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Demonic Duck on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:17 pm

Nimelennar wrote:The "mopey teenager" thing brought this to mind:
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/46453

ROFL *adds to favourites*

As for the "avatars"... I have only one word...
0H N0EZ!
They're more than 100x100 pixels! They can't be avatars!

Other than that... I never knew about the origin of the squirrelly avatar, and now I do. And I KNEW I recognized your "review" avatar from somewhere, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. And I was curious as to why you used a goth for your personal blog avatar, but now I know. Knowledge is power, so... *evil laugh*

Yay for the wonders of modern technology. This "interweb" as you call it, is incredibly useful, for doing stuff like, looking at pictures of semi-naked models, for instance. And other stuff. [/completely irrelevant babble]
ProfessorTomoe wrote:One Duck to fool them all, One Duck to blind them,
One Duck to distract them all and make them look behind them.
[link]

Image Image
Image Image

Current form: Broccoli variant 5.
Demonic Duck
Keenspot Despot

Postby prinnyofantioch on Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:50 pm

I say Daniel Shive is a crazy mofo! Rock on. :lol:

He should consider looking through the posts in this forum, especially since the discussions will be about things more pertinent than topics like "What's Ellen going to say in the next comic?!". At least that's the way things SHOULD be. :-|
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg."
-Bjarne Stroustrup

If you guys are bunnies, I'm a hare! BOOYA!
I wish I could change my screenname. Well, I could get a new account, but... meh.
prinnyofantioch
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Deiwos on Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:09 pm

I think he actually does read a significant portion of his normal forums actually. ^_^~
Deiwos
Newb pack, half bottle of immortaility infused water, instant gravy pack, emu, auto-cleaning label,
Ninja Tedd action figure, pinapple cheese, from Jasmine: Australian Style Hat that says, "Here, fishy fishy!",
a giant tub of chocolate, perma-melted, Chibi Jyrras Plushie from anti-paragon.

Current form: *Points at avatar* Jyrras Gianna

anthro-kangarro rat.. FTW -Alavaria
Moderator Powers Activate! Form of Thread Lock! -Berk
If you waste all your water, then you deserve to go thirsty. -sven8705

It's OK to be a little scared of the outside world... -Dan
Final warning... -Abel
But don't you worry widdle Abel-Wable... I'll protect you from all the mean old mall ladies! -Dan
... OK now I got to kill you. -Abel

From DMFA
Deiwos
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Dark Psion on Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:37 pm

I'm waiting for the Gothic Lollita version, Oh Ellen?
Dark Psion
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Cyril on Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:20 am

Nah, Ellen isn't that mopey... well she may be right at the moment in the comic but she isn't really that bad.. (Unless I am taking Ellen to unseriuosly again.
HAHAHAH! I have musics!

Cyril's Mad Music "It may look like crap, but it sounds sooooo good!" In some altrenate universe! >_>

My sucky Fanmusic thread! (why didn't I think of Putting it in my sig before?)

Cyril
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby sreq on Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:22 am

Weep wrote:
suomynonAyletamitlU wrote:Interesting that it apprently has nothing whatsoever to do with your own appearance.
Well, I believe he has said somewhere before (ie. in a filler) that he looks nothing like his avatar.

Thats probably for the best, because who really wants to go through life as a 5 ft tall squirrel being? (sarcasm? i'm not sure my self)
Inventory:
a TF gun,a cookie in a shiny wrapper(minus one bite),a squirrel teddy,a six pack of Dr. Germahn/Tedd co. soda,a dead fish (deep sea angler),a tuna flavored yogurt maker, an emu,
And my prized possesion: One Email to me from Dan Shive himself, bronzed for posterity! (Thanks again for the help Dan!)

"You friggin time travellers have no respect for continuity." - Sayu

DiscWorld Bunnies--Sreq, Coina, Pillow_Ninja, FerretBob, Yoav--Others added upon discovery or request!
sreq
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby evilgamer on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:34 pm

Hey since it's the party story and your avatar depends on the story shouldn't your avatar be a squirel girl in a party hat
Cats are evil... yet cute

1600 xp

My DA accountMy EGS music video
evilgamer
Keenspot Despot

Postby Sqauto on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:45 pm

evilgamer wrote:Hey since it's the party story and your avatar depends on the story shouldn't your avatar be a squirel girl in a party hat

He said he hasn't done it since sister. So there is no real reason to.
I am what I am.
ImageImage

Just say NO to Squato.
Sqauto
Keenspot Deity

Postby evilgamer on Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:37 pm

ya but in the party the sexs are swichted so his avatar should refect that
Cats are evil... yet cute

1600 xp

My DA accountMy EGS music video
evilgamer
Keenspot Despot

Postby Sqauto on Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:34 pm

Dan wrote:I originally declared that the story arcs would determine my avatar's form. This was actually just a way for me to excuse my avatar being female (which fit the theme of the "Sister" arc), and for it to become male afterwards. Back then, I wasn't confidant about the whole idea of having storylines involving transgender transformations, so I really was looking for explanations to give people. I wouldn't bother with that today, and I haven't modified my avatar to fit a story arc since then. Interestingly enough, it would be female again if I was ^^;

He may one day. But not for now.

Don't force him to do it.
I am what I am.
ImageImage

Just say NO to Squato.
Sqauto
Keenspot Deity

Postby NumberFourtyThree on Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:42 pm

Interesting:

Dan wrote:I need to write a 43 page post

Was that choice of number perhaps subconsciously influenced by my presence and occasional insightful post on the forums?
43's current site picks:
The Onion: America's finest news source (actually, it's hillarious satire pretending to be a newspaper. Many things on that site have made me laugh over the years.)
One Manga: contains many manga series free to read online. Good interface and extensive database.
Not Always Right: Hilarious anecdotes of customers at various businesses doing incredibly stupid things. Made me laugh many times reading through the archives.
Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal: Hilarious and often outrageous single panel comic. I often post strips from this in the image thread.
Venbrux.com: Contains several games made by some guy. Most (though not quite all) of these are pretty entertaining and worth playing.

I am allowed to be a hypocrite. You are not.
If there's one thing I know, it's everything.
Pants: Don't leave home without them.
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks.
NumberFourtyThree
Keenspot Deity

Postby Rimbosity on Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:57 pm

Back then, I wasn't confidant about the whole idea of having storylines involving transgender transformations, so I really was looking for explanations to give people. I wouldn't bother with that today, and I haven't modified my avatar to fit a story arc since then. Interestingly enough, it would be female again if I was ^^;

Ya know I was thinkin' about this.

EGS is a hard sell to my friends, because as soon as I say, "Well, they're all at a party and they shoot themselves with a gun that changes their gender and..."

I mean, the concept is so far out there, and I think in the hands of 99.999% of authors (of any kind, not just webcomics) this would be plutonium. Which is why you don't see anyone else do it.

EGS gets away with it because it ends up being what the best SF/Fantasy is really about: Looking at the human experience, making us review how we see each other and ourselves.

Granted, these are teenagers reviewing misconceptions that most of us will hopefully be over by the time we hit my age, but that in no way makes the story less gripping for me.

A big part of that is that the characters are really likable. I actually give a damn about them. I'm totally sold into the whole soap opera. And that's ultimately a reflection on the kind of guy Dan is. ;)

The only other comic I can think of that's close to this level of likable characters and gripping soap opear is Questionable Content, but there are no gender-bender guns, Uryuoms, immortals, secret labs with bizarre genetic mutations with Chimeras experiments, or cute squirrelgirls in that one.

EGS can pretty much get away with whatever contrived plot or bizarre supernatural/fantastic circumstance possible because the characters are likable, believable, and the core of the story.

I wish I could write like this myself.
Rimbosity
Junior Keenspotter

Return to DEShive