[STORY - March 6, 2006] Hooray!

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Postby Reg DeCurry on Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:17 pm

Okay, Dan, enough subliminal advertising. If you want to take a break to eat frozen custard, just say so!

Ah, paranoia, how I missed thee....
I have never seen a giraffe shot out of a cannon through a maternity ward into a bowl of chili. But I oh so desperately want to.

Avatar drawn by Darkshive, colorized by unlucky_days, and animated by xyzzy_n.[/size]
Reg DeCurry
Keenspot Despot

Postby MOOMANiBE on Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:18 pm

ravenb wrote:<squints> Hmm, you may be right. With the tight, curly black hair and fairly large, rounded nose, I assumed he was supposed to be Black ... but given the stylized nature of the art, I suppose those features could apply equally to a Jewish person of more "native" Mediterranean stock. Hard to say, since we've never seen him in a color strip.

Dan has never excluded skin color from black and white strips -- take a look at grace compared to the other characters and you'll notice her skin is a fair bit darker. If he was black, I think he would look it.
MOOMANiBE
Keenspot Despot

Postby The Wanderer on Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:19 pm

ravenb wrote:Am I the only one who finds it odd that (1) Sarah knows Matt's middle name and (2) Matt, a black guy, has a Jewish last name? He could be adopted or biracial, I suppose, but it's one of those things that makes my brain go *twitch* :)

Za? Doesn't look black to me...
And no, I don't care that I was ninja'd. I went to the trouble of looking up evidence. :P

Innnteresting. Sarah seems to be up to something. (And next time on Shocking Mysteries Revealed: Grace is a Squirrel! :P )
I am... no one.
The Wanderer
Keenspot Despot

Postby EverydayStudent on Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:23 pm

dahoughtonuk wrote:More avatar potential than you can shake a stick at I think...

Quite...

EverydayStudent
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Beacon on Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:24 pm

ChroniclerC wrote:[color=green]What's wrong with "Drew" as a middle name? Granted, there are cooler middle names to have, but at least it ain't his first name.

Middle names are inherently embarassing. It doesn't actually matter what they are.

I don't want to know what Sarah has planned for our poor boy?
I also have to wonder about the "tables have turned" comment. Is Sarah just turning a phrase, or does she have a history with Matt?
Latest artwork: 04-30-2007 Feudal Link

ImageOriginal doll base copyright of Wayuki's Place
Knight of the Order of the Bunny
Fanart thread.

Chyuc kecig quuc vleag geh iea vi Urnemja Dei, vag meg vi Neamjis, vosuaco Yu urquuic hoor ryupo u mag! (Note: Small modifications have been made to keep this pronounceable.)
Munchkin Stats
Beacon
Keenspot Despot

Postby eternaljwh on Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:26 pm

Must have a history. I second that the apostrophe shouldn't be there.

On a side note, my middle name is not embarrassing.
eternaljwh
Keenspot Transcendent

Location: Utilizing cartoon physics to stay hanging one foot below the end of my rope.

Postby Serendipity_EGS on Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:37 pm

I love the expression on Sarahs face in the last panel - its been said before, but it is Mister Burns! :evilgrin: And the whole "the tables have turned" thing, I don't think theres any history, just her saying that they now have something to "fight back" with if needed!

Drew isn't a bad name! My middle name isn't embarressing either (unless Daniel is a bad name!) :wink:

I love so many of these expressions, especially angry/hungry Nanase!

I would have thought Tedd would take the cross-dresser thing if it was a case of national security? Or just blag a way out of it ("No, that was my sexy cousin Tess!") :D

And I agree with the others - take time on the comics, don't rush! And I didn't think there was too much text either, so :P !
A Elbereth Gilthoniel!

Current supplies - 1 shiny wrapper from an eaten cookie, 1 squirrel teddy, 1 very-beloved-and-precious TF Gun, 4 cans of unlabelled soda, (2 minature catperson, 2 fairy), Brain bleach, brain glue, 1 rusty hacksaw, 1 red-stripy scarf! Huzzah!

Justin: Along the way they will face peril, and meet many, many handsome Elves.
Nanase: You are aware that there's no way Dan will let you narrate again after that, right?
Justin: Why? Elves are Cool!
(See here)

My characters: Serendipity, Serenity and Amaranthus! And my (bad) Fiction thread! And hardly used DeviantArt page!
Serendipity_EGS
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: Bradford, UK, er, no, Middle-Earth, er yeah, thats what I meant!

Postby DarkShive on Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:39 pm

"The tables have turned" should not be taken seriously; part of the point of Tedd's comment is that knowing Tedd was transformed kind of trumps knowing Matt was delivering pizzas when he shouldn't have been, and it's safe to assume that Sarah herself is well aware of this and is joking around. I had a feeling that might not be clear, however, so it may wind up being clarified briefly in upcoming comics as opposed to letting that fester all the way up to the next set of storylines.

The entire joke is a result of people pointing out that he should have to be 18 to be delivering pizzas, which is why I had him say "I don't normally deliver" 3 comics ago. I don't want Matt graduating or behind a grade just so he could be the pizza boy, so I made it so it's not something he normally does (most likely he's filling in and/or covering for someone), and I pointed it out to add further clarity / establish his name and age.

Tossing in his middle name IS odd, and I knew that going into it, but I wanted his middle name known due to the character being named after Matt Groening, Billy West, and David X Cohen. How she knows the middle name isn't all that relevant, but given that they have classes together, there are a number of likely explanations.
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby peragrin on Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:49 pm

ravenb wrote:Think about it: Tedd Drew Verres. Tedd D. Verres. Now say it fast and run it together. The punning opportunities alone are horrifying to contemplate. :evilgrin:

What Teddy Bears?

:roll:
Squire of the Bunny_Gesserit
I thought once I was found, but it was only a dream.
Avatar is a modfied doll base from Wayuki Place. Thanks Miss Sidhe
peragrin
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby DarkShive on Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:01 pm

peragrin wrote:
ravenb wrote:Think about it: Tedd Drew Verres. Tedd D. Verres. Now say it fast and run it together. The punning opportunities alone are horrifying to contemplate. :evilgrin:

What Teddy Bears?

:roll:

Wow. That was completely uninten--er, completely my intention! Yes! Planned all along! :D Yes. :shifty:
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Postby EverydayStudent on Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:17 pm

So it's pronounced Vairs, not Veh-ress? Hm, I've been saying it wrong all this time...
EverydayStudent
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Sky Render on Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:32 pm

Hehe, EGS never fails to deliver. Hm, I think that makes Matt the only minor character in the comic whose full name is known, doesn't it? Unless I'm forgetting somebody...
Sky Render

Sanity is for the weak.

Sky Render
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby FerretBob on Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:36 pm

I've always said Ver-res as well. But still. I will mispronounce it only for the purposes of this joke. Good comic, although it did seem a little cluttered like you said Dan.
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories... And those that carry us forward, are dreams"

"Some people never go crazy... What truly boring lives they must lead" - Blackie Lawless
FerretBob
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby DeaExMachina on Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:47 pm

ravenb wrote:Am I the only one who finds it odd that (1) Sarah knows Matt's middle name and (2) Matt, a black guy, has a Jewish last name? He could be adopted or biracial, I suppose, but it's one of those things that makes my brain go *twitch* :)

In addition to what others have said, some families don't particularly care about such matters. I have a Japanese first name, a Indian (as in India Indian) middle name and I'm about Japanese and Indian as a leprechaun. I also have a brother with a Russian name and a sister with an Itallian name. Again, we are niether Itallian or Russian. He could have been adopted or, from what I understand, you don't actually have to give your kid the same last name as yourself. The whole practice of sticking to names only from your ancestral background is, in my opinion, an example of backwards inside the box thinking.
This post is a Catgirl Respawn Point.
DeaExMachina
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby The Wanderer on Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:48 pm

FerretBob wrote:I've always said Ver-res as well. But still. I will mispronounce it only for the purposes of this joke. Good comic, although it did seem a little cluttered like you said Dan.

Panel three makes it clear how it's pronounced.
I am... no one.
The Wanderer
Keenspot Despot

Postby Random_Sage on Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:53 pm

I don't know why Tedd hates his middle name so much. My middle name is ten time worse than Drew. It's so bad, I shall not even write it here, for fear of mockery. Anyway, Nanase in panel two makes me laugh.
ImageImage

"There is a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line"- Oscar Levant
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"- Adam Savage, Mythbusters
"Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but usually manages to pick himself up, walk over or around it, and carry on."-Winston Churchill
ProfessorTomoe wrote:It's the Internet, for crying out loud. Nothing on it can ever truly look respectable.
Random_Sage
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby DarkShive on Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:56 pm

FerretBob wrote:I've always said Ver-res as well. But still. I will mispronounce it only for the purposes of this joke. Good comic, although it did seem a little cluttered like you said Dan.

That's how I've always said it as well, but I may be tempted to switch over to the dark side of the Verres just for the pun...
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Postby DarkShive on Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:00 pm

Many people are ashamed of their middle names for reasons that don't make sense... although in Tedd's case, it's probably gender ambiguity.

Personally, I like my middle name, and I think Elliot proves that :wink:
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Postby Latios on Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:02 pm

NOOOOO Sarah! Don't plan Matt's death! Stay good, Sarah!

Anyone who doesn't get that really needs to read Sluggy Freelance.

Anyway, this is one of the more "evil" comics I've seen lately, between evil Sarah in the last panel, Tedd's paranoia, P.O.'ed Nanase in panel 2 (which should really be avatarized), and Elliot's messup. In other words, 'sall good!
"I want to become a cool demigod. Like a ninja Hercules, or a cross between Sherlock Holmes and Godzilla.''
"I'm not racist. I'm just a hateful bastard." Funkstain, Elvenbaath
ImageImageImage
Latios
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Kittygirl on Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:08 pm

Recap comic. But the Middle name, and Sarah being evil makes it worthwile.

And I think someone commented on Drew being both a girls and boys name. I didn't know that A girl could be called Drew?
And who says DREW in Panal four?
Kittygirl
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby DeaExMachina on Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:08 pm

Insert your own dialog:
This post is a Catgirl Respawn Point.
DeaExMachina
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Yun on Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:11 pm

Kittygirl wrote:Recap comic. But the Middle name, and Sarah being evil makes it worthwile.

And I think someone commented on Drew being both a girls and boys name. I didn't know that A girl could be called Drew?
And who says DREW in Panal four?

Certainly it's possible.
Yun
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby torin_of_death on Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:13 pm

I don't think Tedd has too much to worry about. He's male, and he wears glasses. That's more than enough cover to keep somebody from suspecting that he has transformed himself into a girl somehow. If questioned, he could say that the person who answered the door was his sister/cousin. Or girlfriend, even (the one he got the uniform for).

I mean, seriously. People temporarily switching genders? It just doesn't happen. I'd say that Matt is far more likely to try to forget the whole thing ever happened, or at least not think further into it, than make any attempt to pursue it to its logical conclusion.
torin_of_death
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kibord on Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:22 pm

I have three middle names, my initials are SRCMM.
thats a cool thirteen sylabuls.

lovely.

But I don't mind them, they are mostly masculine though, so, umm, Woo for me?

Cool Comic Dan,
(As allways)

And I agree with the whole waiting for a good comic thing.

I'm used to waiting, considering I've been a fan of Life on Forbez for the past year.

CDC updates once or twice a month, if we're lucky, so with this regual a dosege of EGS, I'm happy if you miss times.

~Kibord.
Just because I'm clinically insane, doesn't mean I can't be a valuble member of society!

XP =225 Image

El Goonish Shive Animator.
Kibord
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby FerretBob on Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:25 pm

The Wanderer wrote:Panel three makes it clear how it's pronounced.

Actually, that's Susan mispronouncing it. I take my source to be the fact that she says "Vairs, or whatever" and the fact that Dan agreed with me.

*Does 'got quoted by Dan'-dance*
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories... And those that carry us forward, are dreams"

"Some people never go crazy... What truly boring lives they must lead" - Blackie Lawless
FerretBob
Keenspot Juggernaut

PreviousNext

Return to El Goonish Shive