You see, Josh didn't specify which Tuesday.

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

You see, Josh didn't specify which Tuesday.

Postby Mcfarlane Salsa on Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:24 am

Or in fact, any tuesday at all. It could simply be the day of the Norse God Tiu, whenever that is.

>_>

Recolourings:

http://packy.dardan.com/walky/albums/album46/abn.png

http://packy.dardan.com/walky/albums/album46/abm.png
Last edited by Mcfarlane Salsa on Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mcfarlane Salsa
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GrassyNoel on Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:48 am

"Must be Thursday. Never could get the hang of Thursdays."

"I will gladly pay you on Tuesday for a hamburger today."
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Re: You see, Josh didn't specifiy which Tuesday.

Postby Sol on Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:15 am

Mcfarlane Salsa wrote:Or in fact, any tuesday at all. It could simply be the day of the Norse God Tiu, whenever that is.
Apparently it's named after Tiw/Tyr (god of battle and victory), but whatever.
Sol
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GrassyNoel on Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:21 am

Sol wrote:
Mcfarlane Salsa wrote:Or in fact, any tuesday at all. It could simply be the day of the Norse God Tiu, whenever that is.

Who in the Roman scheme of things is Mars, hence Italian [i]marted
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:24 am

GrassyNoel wrote:
Sol wrote:

Who in the Roman scheme of things is Mars, hence Italian [i]marted
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby svenman on Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:41 pm

Sol wrote:
Aren't "Tiw" and "Tiu" just spelling variants of the same name, anyway?
svenman
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nick 101 on Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:21 pm

He's pulling the "h-word". It will be back on any given Tuesday.
AKA - NinjaNick, Proud Member and Head Ninja of the People Who Hate People Club!
My Livejournal - my DA gallery
Nick 101
Keenspot Despot

Postby ParkRNDL on Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:48 pm

I'm just happy that if we're stalled, at least we're stalled on a comic with Ceilidh in it...

(the silver lining is half full, or something like that...) :shifty:
--rick

The Wolfman is EVERYWHERE...
ParkRNDL
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Mcfarlane Salsa on Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:41 am

http://packy.dardan.com/walky/albums/album46/abo.png

http://packy.dardan.com/walky/albums/album46/abp.png

Another batch, these ones dating from my first dive into colourings (hence they needed to be redone, since they looked like crap).

EDIT: http://packy.dardan.com/walky/albums/album46/abq.png Just did this one too.
Mcfarlane Salsa
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Sol on Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:11 am

svenman wrote:
Sol wrote:
I guess so, but probably only in the same way as "George" and "Jorj".
Sol
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Mcfarlane Salsa on Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:46 pm

Sol wrote:
svenman wrote:
Sol wrote:
I guess so, but probably only in the same way as "George" and "Jorj".

I knew the day (and most of the other days for that matter) were named after a Norse God, but I couldn't remember which. So I used dictionary.com to get the source. Perhaps this would have been better...
Mcfarlane Salsa
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GlitterFey on Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:32 am

I'm trying to recall detail from my Norse Myth class I took for core at uni. Basically, there is only very limited records of the Norse myths to begin with and the nature of the records kept bias the information in them so extrapolating from what real people believed several hundred years before it was written down is difficult. Tyr, for example, is a puzzle. First: recall the Nordic runic alphabet: designed to be written on wood you don't get horizontal lines or curves because of wood grain (it'd get lost) - you have a lot of vertical and diagonals. Also, language evolves, especially when it bumps into other communities so Tyr having more than one name is certainly plausible. Also, it is speculated by some that Tyr's character evolved into someone else after early prominence, or just faded. Or, Tyr was still very important but infrequently accounted for in the Sagas and similar sources because of the whole bard-warrior thing. Tyr is the one that got his hand bit off by Fenris when they had him bound, so he gets a mention in that story.

Tyr is the only spelling I am directly familiar with, but if someone is actually *really* interested I can go pull out my books and notes. Or, we likely have a more-educated source of information on the matter in the community we could ask.

And yeah, Tuesday is Tyr's day.
Image Image
GlitterFey
Keenspot Despot

Postby Josh Phillips on Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:24 pm

Heh... when I wrote that message, I intended it to mean Feb. 14th, not Feb. 21st. :-)

I'm trying to be more diligent with my academics lately (no more skipping classes to sleep in, grumblemumble), and when you add sleep apnea and a part time job in the evenings, there's not much energy left for drawing comics, let alone free time. I really wish I had become more responsible before making a big deal out of resuming Avalon. :-/

Anyways, I'm still working out the time management needed to keep Avalon consistent (a MWF schedule would be considered ideal right now). I also need to keep Avalon fun to draw -- so whenever it does update, it should end up being exceptionally amusing and/or full of fan-service. ;-)

JOSH.
Josh Phillips
Keenspot Despot

Postby K A H on Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:12 am

As I've said before, the upside I can see to the occasional hiatus - or an MWF update schedule, for that matter - is that since there are fewer than a hundred comics between now and the final curtain (assuming Year Three isn't substantially longer than either of the first two), it means there will be more time and thus more anticipation before the grand finale. Though I'm looking forward to said finale, I'm in no hurry to see it.

Take all the time you need, Sir. Most of us are familiar first-hand with the chaos involved in the average student life, and I'm just glad you're planning on completing "Avalon" at all, irrespective of how long it might take to cross the finish line.

K.A.H.
Final curtain, finish line, grand finale, I've many more synonyms where they came from. :)
K A H
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Mcfarlane Salsa on Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:31 am

We don't mind waiting, Josh.

*goes to make a Guinness Ad featuring Ceilidh. "Good things come to those who wait"*
Mcfarlane Salsa
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tangent on Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:00 pm

Josh Phillips wrote:Heh... when I wrote that message, I intended it to mean Feb. 14th, not Feb. 21st. :-)

I'm trying to be more diligent with my academics lately (no more skipping classes to sleep in, grumblemumble), and when you add sleep apnea and a part time job in the evenings, there's not much energy left for drawing comics, let alone free time. I really wish I had become more responsible before making a big deal out of resuming Avalon. :-/

Anyways, I'm still working out the time management needed to keep Avalon consistent (a MWF schedule would be considered ideal right now). I also need to keep Avalon fun to draw -- so whenever it does update, it should end up being exceptionally amusing and/or full of fan-service. ;-)

JOSH.

Sleep apnea is horrific, Josh. They do have breathing machines to help you breathe at night. If you've insurance you might look into it.

The other things that work are losing weight (if you're overweight) or having a tonsilectamy (especially as they've a new form where they don't cut out the muscle, just the surrounding flesh).

Good luck in getting some decent sleep, Josh. Take care...
Robert A. Howard

Save Clan of the Cats! This fantastic web-comic needs your help to stay alive! Even "just" reading the comic helps. Go to the web-site to learn more. :)
Tangent
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby ParkRNDL on Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:46 pm

Mcfarlane Salsa wrote:*goes to make a Guinness Ad featuring Ceilidh. *

hey, you gonna post that here? Some of us would like to see it... :shifty:
--rick

The Wolfman is EVERYWHERE...
ParkRNDL
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Nick 101 on Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:34 am

ParkRNDL wrote:

Be patient, grasshopper.
AKA - NinjaNick, Proud Member and Head Ninja of the People Who Hate People Club!
Nick 101
Keenspot Despot

Postby Mcfarlane Salsa on Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:16 am

Nick 101 wrote:
ParkRNDL wrote:

Be patient, grasshopper.

Yes, a fanart is coming up.
Mcfarlane Salsa
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nick 101 on Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:31 am

Mcfarlane Salsa wrote:Yes, a fanart is coming up.

Cool. 8)
Nick 101
Keenspot Despot

Postby Mravac Kid on Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:30 pm

Josh Phillips wrote:Heh... when I wrote that message, I intended it to mean Feb. 14th, not Feb. 21st. :-)

Don't worry... after such a long time, and thinking it would never be done, a spotty schedule isn't such a big deal. The true fans can handle that.

JOSH.

Yup, promising exceptional amusement and/or fanservice is a very good way of alleviating our doubts and fears. :)

Actually delivering the fanservice can keep us going for weeks. :)
Ride the Wild Wind - push the envelope, don't sit on the fence
Ride the Wild Wind - live life on the razor's edge
For reasons unknown, I have a LiveJournal - now featuring the Webcomic Pimping Series!
Mravac Kid
Keenspot Despot

Postby Mcfarlane Salsa on Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:00 am

http://packy.dardan.com/walky/avalon/adw?full=1

Going back to Avalon Fanart album makes me want to bleach my eyes. This, however, isn't half bad.
Mcfarlane Salsa
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby jeffk on Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:07 am

Tangent wrote:Sleep apnea is horrific, Josh. They do have breathing machines to help you breathe at night. If you've insurance you might look into it.

I've got a mild case of sleep apnea...not bad enough to wake myself, but the snoring kept my wife awake, which is basically the same thing. If Mama ain't happy.... :-)

So at her suggestion (urging), I went in for a sleep test. They hooked me up to the monitoring machines--which was a bit of a nuisance--they let you sleep for the night, then they look for evidence that your breathing stopped long enough and often enough for the sleep apnea diagnosis.

If it looks like the CPAP machine will be useful, you come back the next night and go through the exercise again while wearing the CPAP machine. If they can tell a difference in your breathing, they write up a prescription for your own CPAP. (CPAP = Continuous Positive Air Pressure...fancy medical speak for "it blows the same amount of air up your nose all the time" :-) ) YMMV for the process of getting a CPAP.

YMMV for the impact of using CPAP, too. The only differences I noticed are (a) I don't snore, so I'm no longer waking my wife up, and (b) once you get used to it--and you do need to get used to it--the CPAP's a nice source of white noise.

Naturally, difference (a) alone makes my CPAP worthwhile :-)

But if you've got moderate to severe sleep apnea, a CPAP can make an even bigger difference because you're finally getting a decent night's sleep. The woman who administered my sleep test told me that one patient felt so good after his "with-CPAP" sleep test that he begged to take the thing home with him, right on the spot!
jeffk
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Nick 101 on Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:11 pm

Mcfarlane Salsa wrote:http://packy.dardan.com/walky/avalon/adw?full=1

Going back to Avalon Fanart album makes me want to bleach my eyes. This, however, isn't half bad.

Heheheh, that was great.
Nick 101
Keenspot Despot

Postby bunnyThor on Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:51 pm

jeffk wrote:
Tangent wrote:Sleep apnea is horrific, Josh. They do have breathing machines to help you breathe at night. If you've insurance you might look into it.

I've got a mild case of sleep apnea...not bad enough to wake myself, but the snoring kept my wife awake, which is basically the same thing. If Mama ain't happy.... :-)

So at her suggestion (urging), I went in for a sleep test. They hooked me up to the monitoring machines--which was a bit of a nuisance--they let you sleep for the night, then they look for evidence that your breathing stopped long enough and often enough for the sleep apnea diagnosis.

If it looks like the CPAP machine will be useful, you come back the next night and go through the exercise again while wearing the CPAP machine. If they can tell a difference in your breathing, they write up a prescription for your own CPAP. (CPAP = Continuous Positive Air Pressure...fancy medical speak for "it blows the same amount of air up your nose all the time" :-) ) YMMV for the process of getting a CPAP.

YMMV for the impact of using CPAP, too. The only differences I noticed are (a) I don't snore, so I'm no longer waking my wife up, and (b) once you get used to it--and you do need to get used to it--the CPAP's a nice source of white noise.

Naturally, difference (a) alone makes my CPAP worthwhile :-)

But if you've got moderate to severe sleep apnea, a CPAP can make an even bigger difference because you're finally getting a decent night's sleep. The woman who administered my sleep test told me that one patient felt so good after his "with-CPAP" sleep test that he begged to take the thing home with him, right on the spot!

Yeah, I'm one of those with severe apnea, and let me tell you, you cannot pay me enough to try to sleep without my CPAP. Before I got my nose hose, I was getting the equivalent of about 4 hours of *bad* sleep a night, despite spending 8 hours in bed. I was tired and muddle-headed all the time, and I was a danger to others as I have an hour's commute every morning and evening, and I had to fight--literally I had to pummel myself repeatedly--to keep from falling asleep at the wheel. And sleeping longer doesn't help much--it merely means you get more hours of *bad* sleep.

Now with my CPAP, I have energy, I have clarity, and I am no longer an automotive time bomb. I feel like I have come out of a coma, that's how dramatic it is. I urge anyone who has apnea to get and use a CPAP machine. Five minutes of fidgeting each night to get the mask properly adjusted is a very tiny price to pay for your life back.
bunnyThor
Keenspot Juggernaut

Next

Return to Avalon