AHS uniform reinterpretation

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

Which girl's uniform do you prefer?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:18 pm

The original
65%
These new ones
30%
No opinion
4%

Total votes : 23

AHS uniform reinterpretation

Postby Josh Phillips on Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:44 am

Just some noodling in my free time...

http://www.livejournal.com/users/staedtler/209960.html

JOSH.
Last edited by Josh Phillips on Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Josh Phillips
Keenspot Despot

Postby bunnyThor on Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:07 pm

Yay!

And I see on that thread you joked about pulling a Willis and redrawing Avalon from the start. You know that you *could* do that, since the strip is now on infinite hiatus. There would be no pressure from from expectant fans and no feeling of deadlines. Every strip would merely be a gift, not an expectation, given out at your whim, with no commitment to ever do another again. If nothing else, it would give you (a) some drawing practice, and (b) a boost in confidence when you see how many degrees of magnitude better your skill is now as compared to then.

This is even better than actually finishing off the series, as you do not actually have to script the plot or compose the scenes. All you would have to do is redraw the strip again, except effortlessly better.

Or you could spend your time doing something else altogether. No pressure. 8)
bunnyThor
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Mravac Kid on Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:55 pm

... joked? ;)

Indeed, I agree that would be very good practice. But I'm not sure about no pressure from fans, as they'd certainly expect to see more... I wouldn't pressure Josh for more, but I have to say, every time I see a new pic related to Avalon I immediately get my hopes up that he may yet do that ending...

In your own time, Josh. There's no hurry, and as bunnyThor said everything we receive is a gift, and gladly accepted.
Ride the Wild Wind - push the envelope, don't sit on the fence
Ride the Wild Wind - live life on the razor's edge
For reasons unknown, I have a LiveJournal - now featuring the Webcomic Pimping Series!
Mravac Kid
Keenspot Despot

Postby Josh Phillips on Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:03 am

I have to say I like the idea (of redrawing the old strips) a lot... in fact, two years ago I already had a plan to "remaster" the early strips. This would simply be one step better.

I need to do some serious thinking about it. After absolving myself of all web-based responsibilities lately, I have to say I've felt a lot more creative freedom, hence this recent slew of experimental art. If this keeps up, anything's possible.

Meanwhile, here's the rest of the "slew" I was talking about:
http://www.livejournal.com/users/staedtler/210918.html - Nancy
http://www.livejournal.com/users/staedtler/210949.html - Phoebe

JOSH.
Josh Phillips
Keenspot Despot

Postby Hai-Etlik on Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:16 am

It's probably just viridiphelia but I think the green uniforms looked better.
Hai-Etlik
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Josh Phillips on Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:20 pm

Hai-Etlik wrote:It's probably just viridiphelia but I think the green uniforms looked better.

Heh... anybody who has expressed which version they prefered has prefered the old one. :-)

I added a poll to my original post, just to get a better picture of the overall opinion. Don't expect it to change my own tastes, though. ;-)

JOSH.
Josh Phillips
Keenspot Despot

Postby gwalla on Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:16 pm

The difference between doing this and pulling a Willis (that sounds dirty!) is that DW is redrawing early strips so that they'll be in a similar style (and skill level) to the later strips. But you've developed a very different style post-Avalon, so redrawing the early Avalon strips wouldn't really make them match.
ImageImage
gwalla
Keenspot Deity

Location: Berkeley, CA, USA irc://us.nightstar.net/gwalla,isnick

Postby GrassyNoel on Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:22 pm

In the context of the comic, the old uniform is better coz it's uglier and more real. In the context of pictures of hot chicks, the new one is much better!
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Haesslich on Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:37 pm

Given this is school, and not anime, I'd have to vote for keeping the old uniforms - the new ones look better, but uniforms aren't selected because they look good on the people wearing them, unless you're in the restaurant business or maid business. :D
Haesslich
Keenspot Despot

Postby Marcos on Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:44 pm

And now, for the post I wasn't able to make last night:

The colors are okay, but mid-thigh skirts just don't work on Ceilidh and Nancy. They actually looked sexier in the old uniforms.
Marcos
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby gwalla on Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:51 pm

Here's an idea: redrawing and revising the strip for publication. You've already got proven characters and plotlines.
ImageImage
gwalla
Keenspot Deity

Location: Berkeley, CA, USA irc://us.nightstar.net/gwalla,isnick

Postby MarkusN on Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:05 am

I voted for the old one mainly for one reason: The light-heartedness (and the drama) that is Avalon don't work for me if there is that morbid schoolgirl fetish undertone that goes with closer-to-the origin manga.

Frankly, had Avalon been drawn in a more manga style, I doubt that I would have read long enough to catch. As you (I think) once said yourself: A good story will keep the readers there, but it's good art that draws them to the comic in the first place. Not that I don't consider your latest work good, its just though it still is unmistakably JP it just lacks the uniqueness that Avalon style had
definitely: 92.5 million; definately/definatly: 10.16 million. 11%. Strong the disturbance in the force is.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Josh Phillips on Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:08 am

gwalla wrote:The difference between doing this and pulling a Willis (that sounds dirty!) is that DW is redrawing early strips so that they'll be in a similar style (and skill level) to the later strips. But you've developed a very different style post-Avalon, so redrawing the early Avalon strips wouldn't really make them match.

Nope. I'd have to redo ALL of them. :-)

Here's an idea: redrawing and revising the strip for publication. You've already got proven characters and plotlines.

That is a disturbingly reasonable idea. /:-.

JOSH.
Josh Phillips
Keenspot Despot

Postby Josh Phillips on Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:41 am

Josh Phillips
Keenspot Despot

Postby Q99 on Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:10 am

Personally, I think I like the color scheme of the old ones better (or not really better... I just associate the colors with Avalon), but the design's definitely a step up.
My livejournal - My deviantart account (check it out!)
Zero (me) by Xero
"The universe doesn't care what you believe. The wonderful thing about science is it doesn't ask for your faith, it just asks for your eyes." -xkcd
Q99
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby John T on Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:04 am

The new uniforms are the hotness. Anyone who says otherwise is quite obviously blind.
John S. Troutman
Delusionary State - Where Fiction Becomes Fact
John T
Keenspot Despot

Postby Spaceman42 on Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:03 pm

The new unform is sexier, yes, but the ugly green was more appropriate for a school.

And as I've stated on Josh's blog: The colour scheme is suspiciously Tim Horton's-like.
My whole libido goes out to Austria-Hungary. - Sigmund Freud
Souvenirs d'Avalon mirror site | My homepage | My Avalon Code | My CRFH!!! Code | SPEC ShoutCAST
Spaceman42
Keenspot Despot

Postby Mravac Kid on Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:38 pm

Dammit, Keenspot keeps ditching my post.
Josh Phillips wrote:I need to do some serious thinking about it. After absolving myself of all web-based responsibilities lately, I have to say I've felt a lot more creative freedom, hence this recent slew of experimental art. If this keeps up, anything's possible.

This is just about the nicest webcomic-related news I've heard in a while.
I will keep my hopes up, and revel in each new piece of art you decide to show us.

Now, to the uniforms: the new ones are much sexier, and I really like the plaid, but the old ones were much more clearly saying "school uniform". The ultra-short skirts just don't fit into the western clothing standards.
Ride the Wild Wind - push the envelope, don't sit on the fence
Ride the Wild Wind - live life on the razor's edge
For reasons unknown, I have a LiveJournal - now featuring the Webcomic Pimping Series!
Mravac Kid
Keenspot Despot

Postby Josh Phillips on Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:47 pm

Mravac Kid wrote:The ultra-short skirts just don't fit into the western clothing standards.

People keep bringing that up, but the only girls' uniforms I've personally seen in Ontario has featured that specific length and style of skirt.

Maybe that just says something about Ontario... /:-.

JOSH.
Josh Phillips
Keenspot Despot

Postby Fool on Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:13 am

I've seen lots of Ontario girls' school uniforms from taking the subway in the mornings and afternoons and going to arcades.
There's been a lot of variation in the skirt length, though I haven't seen the skirts that short very often.
Usually they're mid-thigh.
Maybe they didn't want to buy new skirts for their final year?

Hee hee...
Ceilidh and Phoebe's shoes match...
Life is a joke, and it's on us.
We might as well laugh along.
Fool
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: We're not really sure, but we wish he'd go back there.

Postby Josh Phillips on Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:02 am

Hm... would Alison's skirt be considered mid-thigh?

JOSH.
Josh Phillips
Keenspot Despot

Postby Sol on Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:02 am

I like the new style, although I didn't think the old uniforms were particularly ugly... maybe just 'cause I like green, I suppose. And the new skirt length looks about the same as it was at my secondary school. (Now that was an ugly uniform...)

bunnyThor wrote:the strip is now on infinite hiatus
Nice euphemism.
Sol
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Fool on Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:59 am

Josh Phillips wrote:Hm... would Alison's skirt be considered mid-thigh?

JOSH.

Looks like the hem is a few centimetres north of middle.

As for Ceilidh and Phoebe wearing matching shoes... ABA?
Life is a joke, and it's on us.
We might as well laugh along.
Fool
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: We're not really sure, but we wish he'd go back there.

Postby GrassyNoel on Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:32 pm

Fool wrote:I've seen lots of Ontario girls' school uniforms from taking the subway in the mornings and afternoons and going to arcades.
There's been a lot of variation in the skirt length, though I haven't seen the skirts that short very often.
Usually they're mid-thigh.
Maybe they didn't want to buy new skirts for their final year?

Hee hee...
Ceilidh and Phoebe's shoes match...

Maybe the girls pin their skirts up to make them shorter? Some do that here. From a distance you can hardly tell they're not the original length. However, from close up, I wouldn't know :( I haven't been close enough to a schoolgirl in a long time. Except Lee is a teaching student, I suppose that counts. She doesn't wear a uniform, but I could fix that with Christmas coming up and all.

bunnyThor wrote:You know that you *could* do that, since the strip is now on infinite hiatus.

Valerie Harper: I'm not filming Rhoda this week. I got a hiatus.
Kermit: Oh, I'm sorry to hear that! Did you get it lifting something? You should see a doctor.
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Tenma on Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:05 pm

So far I'm the only one to put No Opinion.

I like the classic uniforms because I'm a fan of solid, dark colors, and they are of course the more familiar model. But the new ones are sexier, at least from the waist down, and the plaid looks nice. I'm truthfully inclined to go either way on this one.

Although, now I'm wondering what the new uniforms would look like with the old green color scheme.... :-)

Josh Phillips wrote:the only girls' uniforms I've personally seen in Ontario has featured that specific length and style of skirt.

Maybe that just says something about Ontario... /:-.

Yes. It says I need to come visit.

(Rated WEB-MA for Strong Language and Sexuality)

Check out the Treading Ground ComicGenesis Forum!
Tenma
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Next

Return to Avalon