Speculation: Who will Grace go to school as?

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Who will Grace go to school as?

Herself
88%
Claire
12%

Total votes : 85

Postby stumpster on Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:24 pm

Illjwamh wrote:
MitchellTF wrote:Hm...probably the "Grace", but her unique abilities will probably become the school's "Worst Kept Secret"...

It'd be pretty hard to take that title away from Nanase, who frequently floats around in the halls.

I'll bet that Ellen's ability to V5 anyone will become the school's worst kept secret...I'm also almost willing to bet she V5's someone on the first day of school.

:lol:
stumpster
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Illjwamh on Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:12 pm

What amazes me is that all the students at both schools who have supernatural abilities seem to know each other.

It would be cool for them to encounter someone else with some sort of power/ability, and for both sides to be like, "WTF?"

They could be rivals or something.
EGS Bunny since July 28, 2002

Illjwamh
Keenspot Despot

Postby Joxall on Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:15 pm

They wouldn't be rivals they would work together.

Great freaky people unite
Ha now i shall become all powerful and buILD THE ULTIMATE DOOMSDAY DEVICE MUHAAAHAAAHAAHAAHAA.
Joxall
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Illjwamh on Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:16 pm

That would be what would eventually happen, of course. But at their first meeting? They can't just get along right away; that would be boring.
EGS Bunny since July 28, 2002

Illjwamh
Keenspot Despot

Postby Joxall on Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:46 pm

I give you 19 of my xp for good debating protocall
Ha now i shall become all powerful and buILD THE ULTIMATE DOOMSDAY DEVICE MUHAAAHAAAHAAHAAHAA.
Joxall
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Bilateralrope on Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:13 pm

Illjwamh wrote:What amazes me is that all the students at both schools who have supernatural abilities seem to know each other.

It would be cool for them to encounter someone else with some sort of power/ability, and for both sides to be like, "WTF?"

They could be rivals or something.

Well, all the ones we know about ...
Bilateralrope
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby AlmostReadytoFly on Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:41 am

stumpster wrote:I'll bet that Ellen's ability to V5 anyone will become the school's worst kept secret...I'm also almost willing to bet she V5's someone on the first day of school.

Who needs Susan's Secret Of The Hammer when you can turn any man into a horny bisexual female version of himself?
AlmostReadytoFly
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby matthlord on Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:47 am

AlmostReadytoFly wrote:
stumpster wrote:I'll bet that Ellen's ability to V5 anyone will become the school's worst kept secret...I'm also almost willing to bet she V5's someone on the first day of school.

Who needs Susan's Secret Of The Hammer when you can turn any man into a horny bisexual female version of himself?

So true.Would also be easy to get high grades
"you know it teach:high grades or you lose your manlines!"
matthlord
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby ssokolow on Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:11 am

matthlord wrote:
AlmostReadytoFly wrote:

So true.Would also be easy to get high grades
"you know it teach:high grades or you lose your manlines!"

Wouldn't have helped me in high school though. There was only one class where my marks were sub-optimal that also had a male teacher (I slept through Grade 12 calculus) and since I'm male, the beam would most likely be a female-form beam.

And just to define sub-optimal... I slept through Grade 12 Java and still got 85 (Optimal considering the circumstances. If I was awake, I would have got 90 or 95) but I only got in the 70 area in Grade 12 english. (sub-optimal, but the teacher was female.) I did get about the same in Grade 12 history and the teacher was male, but I cared little enough about how he taught it, that I consider 75 to be optimal.
== For the record: ==
As long as they're civil, I welcome PMs from anyone and everyone.
I use Gentoo Linux with a KDE desktop... heavily customized
== Quotes: ==
"I'm aware this is a comic with weresquirrels and magic, but that would have made no sense whatsoever." -- Dan Shive
"Out of all of this, I have become completely convinced of one thing: some omniscient being is playing Yahtzee with fate here." -- Midnight_zephyr
"What about painting my house an ugly color, spilling ugly photons on your land?" -- Tim Lee
I has a cookie.
ssokolow
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Sanchay on Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:30 pm

Hydragon wrote:I personally think she should go in her original disguise:

It was one of my favorites, and I miss it.

My favorite too!!! It's silly, and sorta fits the theme of comics, no? ^_^
Also, I like it just 'cause it is an allusion to the humble beginnings of EGS.
DBZ Abridged wrote:Chichi: Did you have to carry a child around inside you for nine months with a husband that literally thought there were Cinnabons hidden in your shirt?!

Images are clickable.

ImageImage
Sanchay
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Conina on Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:17 pm

What I want to know is what surname is she going to be registered as having at school?

As far as I can tell she has no 'official' surname, 'coz why would anyone give her one? Going by the fact that she calls Dr Sciuridae 'grandpa' and has DNA from his daughter, Grace Sciuridae would be her mother. Now, some people take the surname of their mother, but it's more traditional to take the surname of the father, and she calls Mr Guyur her father (don't know what her squirrel and lespuko parents would classify as). So would her name be Grace Guyur?
"Sort of? Sort of the end of the world? You mean we won't be certain? We'll look around and say 'Pardon me, did you hear something?'?"

"I don't need a compass to tell which way the wind shines!"
Conina
Keenspot Despot

Postby Grim Atescu on Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:32 pm

...Interesting point. Perhaps, especially since she was so confused when Sarah called her Ms. Sciuridae. Then again, Mr. Verres is setting up her registration and all that, so he might've given her the name Sciuridae (or he might've given her the name Verres, who knows?)

...Grace Verres. Yes. She is given that as her name. *huggles pet theory*
This is my sig. It is cute. --> @_ *wai!*
The sig likes cookies. --> c@_ *nom*
You will give it cookies, or it will steal your soul. --> @/ *rar*
Beware the cuteness of the sig!
===
"And YOU, Grim, write adorable honeymoon scenes." - VOR
Grim Atescu
Keenspot Deity

Re: Speculation: Who will Grace go to school as?

Postby Rhino_Man on Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:45 pm

eternalbeans wrote:We know that "the nest" is almost definitely close by to Moperville.

umm we're sure of it because they had to go there to rescue Elliot, AKA cat. I mean, it's not like they had to go very far, is it?

I also vaaaaaguely recall someone at one point saying how the facility was just outside of town.
Signs I have seen on/in bathrooms:
"We aim to please, you aim too, please."
"Leak Tested."

Inventory Items:
TF Gun (stuck on random), Normalizer gun, Disintigration Ray (innefective on organic matter).
Re-Atomizer Machine (returns anything to normal in about 2 hours. Highly painful)
12 pack of Shrink Soda
Goonmanji Set in a Box
A hole into a pocket dimension to hold all this junk.

And for the last time! I'M NOT A FREAKIN' BUNNY!
Rhino_Man
Keenspotter Supreme

Location: That information is on a need to know basis. You don't need to know.

Postby eternalbeans on Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:24 am

Conina wrote:What I want to know is what surname is she going to be registered as having at school?

As far as I can tell she has no 'official' surname, 'coz why would anyone give her one? Going by the fact that she calls Dr Sciuridae 'grandpa' and has DNA from his daughter, Grace Sciuridae would be her mother. Now, some people take the surname of their mother, but it's more traditional to take the surname of the father, and she calls Mr Guyur her father (don't know what her squirrel and lespuko parents would classify as). So would her name be Grace Guyur?

Mr. Verres is doing the registration and Mr. Verres doesn't know about Mr. Guyur. She might be Grace Verres but that would be a tad strange as people might think that Ted and Grace were related and disapprove of their relationship (although, since they go to different schools, it is unlikely people would find out).
eternalbeans
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Alter Ego on Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:20 pm

Claire was just for hiding from her brothers, right? She wouldn't need that now
F
Alter Ego
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Q99 on Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:07 pm

eternalbeans wrote:Mr. Verres is doing the registration and Mr. Verres doesn't know about Mr. Guyur. She might be Grace Verres but that would be a tad strange as people might think that Ted and Grace were related and disapprove of their relationship (although, since they go to different schools, it is unlikely people would find out).

And they're different ethnicities, so it's unlikely people will buy it (thinking Grace is either adopted or somehow already married).

As a side-note, EGS is actually one of the more ethnically diverse comics I know (Grace + Greg + Dr Sciuridae are black, Tedd and Nanase are half-asian), not bad for a small town. Oddly enough, even among comics by non-white writers there tends to be less mix of ethnicities amoung larger casts (seriously, one question that has often wracked my brain is why Fred Perry, noted maker of long-term comic Gold Digger with a major cast of several dozen, has about two major black characters in it, three if you count the were-cheetah who's black under her fur [werecheetahs being from Africa and all]. And the half-werecheetah? Oddly not black! Ian of RPG world, also black? The dark-tanned Cherry's about the closest to a black character in the entire comic. I just don't get it).

So anyway, Dan does a good job in that department to finish my little tangent.
My livejournal - My deviantart account (check it out!)
Zero (me) by Xero
"The universe doesn't care what you believe. The wonderful thing about science is it doesn't ask for your faith, it just asks for your eyes." -xkcd
Q99
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Grandmaster_Zel on Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:48 pm

As practically everyone else says, I think that she would go as Grace, because it's no longer nessecary to hide from Damien and her bros. The idea that she might be mistaken for the old Grace is interesting, but do they really look the same? I find the idea that her human form looks exatly like that of the old Grace intreguing but unlikly.
Grandmaster_Zel
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby anti-paragon on Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:46 am

I agree its quite predictable that she will go as grace. As for the last name, I think she'll use Sciuridae, since he is technically her only human bloodline.

As a little side note, I'm relieved for Grace that she learned then connection of nudity and sex before she went to school, because this little factor would have caused a fairly intresting problem when she started attending...
anti-paragon
Keenspot Deity

Postby DarkShive on Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:17 am

Her full legal name will probably be something along the lines of "Grace Guyur Sciuridae", AKA "Grace G. Sciuridae". I say "probably" because I don't want to commit to it any earlier than I have to.
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby Beacon on Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:49 am

Conina wrote:Mr. Verres is doing the registration and Mr. Verres doesn't know about Mr. Guyur.

Never say "Mr. Verres doesn't know about..." He's a conspiracy agent, so he knows a lot. In particular, he was assigned to extract Grace and her brothers, with assistance from Dr. Sciuridae, so he probably knew everything about the project, including Mr. Guyur.
Latest artwork: 04-30-2007 Feudal Link

ImageOriginal doll base copyright of Wayuki's Place
Knight of the Order of the Bunny
Fanart thread.

Chyuc kecig quuc vleag geh iea vi Urnemja Dei, vag meg vi Neamjis, vosuaco Yu urquuic hoor ryupo u mag! (Note: Small modifications have been made to keep this pronounceable.)
Munchkin Stats
Beacon
Keenspot Despot

Postby oliverb on Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:31 am

Darkshive wrote:Her full legal name will probably be something along the lines of "Grace Guyur Sciuridae", AKA "Grace G. Sciuridae". I say "probably" because I don't want to commit to it any earlier than I have to.

Hey Dan, I saw this and started to wonder about the first panel, so I googled "sciuridae" and suddenly it became clear.

Am I the world's slowest bunny or what?
oliverb
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby eternalbeans on Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:47 am

Grandmaster_Zel wrote:As practically everyone else says, I think that she would go as Grace, because it's no longer nessecary to hide from Damien and her bros. The idea that she might be mistaken for the old Grace is interesting, but do they really look the same? I find the idea that her human form looks exatly like that of the old Grace intreguing but unlikly.

Actually, we do know that she looks like the orignal Grace. Of course, because she only shares DNA from the original Grace, she may look slightly different because of pimples, beauty marks, etc which are not due to DNA. But the original Grace, as we can see from the picture, did not have any large beauty marks in places that people can see, making it unlikely that anyone would remember the location or existance of them. So, for all practical purposes, they look alike.
eternalbeans
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby eternalbeans on Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:50 am

Just to clarify, they do not look _completely_ alike because of Grace's antennae. But they won't be shown in school anyway.
eternalbeans
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Pixelnator on Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:37 pm

Tedds father will think of something clever to hide the secret (read: weird)

Only time (or dan) will tell tough
Pixelnator
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: Finland Finland Finland. The country where i like to be.

Previous

Return to El Goonish Shive