I'm a Jerk!

This KeenTOON does not need a description because the title says it all.

Moderator: Friz

Postby actionwebgamer on Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:50 am

Ah, NOW is see. I've been laughing at Bonus Stage for no reason all along, right? It makes so much sense! Yes, even though Bonus Stage is a funny cartoon, it's not SUPPOSED to be funny, because you don't think it is, right Tyrano?
actionwebgamer
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby OnlyAlienEver on Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:55 am

I agree, Nar. Since the past year that I have gotten a bit more serious with animation, I've noticed that a lot of very popular cartoons have very limited animation. "Homestar Runner" cartoons, as you have pointed out, have very nice graphics, but hardly any animation. A few poses for a character at best, very simple-looking lip synching which usually extends to about three different drawings for the mouth movements and hardly (if any) different angles for the characters and backgrounds.

"Homestar Runner" isn't the only thing, though. Look at "Weebl and Bob." Look at "South Park." Look at "Aqua Teen Hunger Force." All EXTREMELY popular cartoons with even WORSE animation.

Why are they so popular, then? Simply because they are well written, and like I already pointed out with the animation, isn't a lot, but enough to get the writing across. What some people don't understand is that every single cartoon, movie, or comic is just a vehicle for the writing. It needs to be good enough for people to watch, sure, but WONDERFUL AND WACKY AND DETAILED ANIMATION/DRAWING/EFFECTS ARE UNNECESSARY. If it is the SOLE reason for something and you just want to impress people with pretty-looking shit, go ahead, but if you want a story, it can usually be carried across with anything that's above stick figure art.

Andrew, I think you're being extremely unfair to Friz. I think you're a horrible writer and it definitely shows with your horrible, sickening, non-funny, and nonsensical cartoons. What I do notice is that you're one of the few in the world who not only has a good gift for good animation, but you seem to like it, too. A lot of people HATE it, though, and you seem to forget that. I love writing, but I hate animating and the closest I ever come to frame-by-frame animation is in the lip synch. Still, I think I'm a decent animator. (If given the correct circumstances, anyway.) Same with Friz. Same with a lot of people in the world, but like I already said before, we just use it as a VEHICLE, not just as the main point.

Does that mean we're horrible people and shouldn't be animating? No. People even call us GOOD animators, despite the fact that we don't do much frame-by-frame animation, but if you think that Friz's style is bad, you're going to complain about a LOT more than that. Unless your target is people who actually attempt to be professional animators, I suggest you shut up already, unless you have suggestions about the WRITING, which is what most sane people should actually care most about.
OnlyAlienEver
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Brandon Clark on Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:08 pm

Looks like its time to vehemently puke out our above all opinons!

Ok seriously though... I agree with Andrew about the stupid schedule and the supossingly crap pay. Because according to Penny Arcade...

It seems to me that they should call it Take All Of Your Money Spot instead of Keenspot, because of how they take your money all the time.

I have a friend (Howard Tayler) who used to run a comic (Schlock Mercenary, a daily comedic space opera) on the "service." He had jumped ship, and so quite naturally I wondered how he was getting on without the breakweather of Keenspot to protect him from the dangerous and savage Internet. Here's what he told me.

Well, it's GREAT. I was hoping that by getting Keenspot's 50% back in my pocket I could double my earnings. It turns out that I'll easily triple them.

It would be inappropriate for me to share dollar figures from Keenspot, so I'll just say that the last three-month check I got from Keenspot covered something like 5% of my family's bare-minimum living expenses for those three months. By leaving Keenspot I was hoping to hit 10%, minus a pittance for hosting.

Well, for the last ten days I've been running Google ads, and I've already generated half of what my last three-month Keenspot check paid me.

Let me reword that for clarity. In ten days I made half of what Keenspot paid me for 90 days. I'm not going to trouble you with the trend lines or the statistics -- I'll just say that a conservative projection puts me at triple my Keenspot revenue just by running Google ads. Quadrupling or quintupling that revenue is not out of reach.

And I think because of that and the schedule, the toons arent reaching their full potentional. Sure sometimes I get a chuckle or two from them. But the good stuff is few and far between. Or maybe it's just a preference of mine but I just don't like the "blah blah" type humour that plagues this site. Like Tyranno said ITS BORING.
Brandon Clark
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Sir Lemming on Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:15 pm

"How dare you insult Friz's cartoon like that, Mr. Kauervane! Why would you say something like that? It doesn't particularly add anything to the topic and--UR CARTOON SUXXXXXX!!!!!!!!!"

Come on, people, enough is enough. "Fight fire with fire" is an overrated motto.
Imagehttp://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/265596
I think it's that "ignorance is bliss" part, until the bliss leaves and then you just feel stupid. --Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age)
Sir Lemming
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Fett on Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:06 pm

Hey kauervane, remember how you got all that tactless, ill-spirited criticism from Bobby Crosby? Remember how much that irked you?

Now you're doing it.
Fett
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby OnlyAlienEver on Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:29 pm

Sir Lemming wrote:Come on, people, enough is enough. "Fight fire with fire" is an overrated motto.

http://www.bolloxcomics.co.uk/main/stri ... mic=020114
OnlyAlienEver
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Eggie on Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:45 pm

What about national pride?
Are you really going to let these YANKS run the show?
*sigh* I'm gonna miss that little guy... The last episode brought me so much joy...

EDIT: You silly people with your silly insult wars.
Eggie
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby JasterW on Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:02 pm

I love how Andrew's confidence in his ability to make characters spaz out unrealistically and off-model within just a few frames for even the simplest of dialogue has made him an authority on all things in the realm of animation. But we're not going to talk about that (because he doesn't listen or care about human beings), and I've already said everything I'm going to say to the Friz.

So, to reiterate: Everybody just shut up. If ignorant behavior continues, I suggest thread locking.
ARG! - It's an acronym, probably.
JasterW
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Friz on Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:55 pm

JasterW wrote:So, to reiterate: everybody just shut up. If ignorant behavior continues, I suggest thread locking.

That's the smartest thing I've ever heard.

New announcement in a couple of days, folks!
Yeah, I know.. my sig hasn't worked in a long, long time.

Pete is a Pogizzle Stizzle
Friz
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Previous

Return to Pete is a Pogo Stick