The official "What's up with Avalon?" thread

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

Postby Josh Phillips on Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:17 pm

Volkai wrote:Also, I'm kind of curious as to Josh's comic-making plans post-Avalon. Assuming there are any. . . . .

Oh hell yes, there are. If I weren't so frustrated at being unable to draw Avalon full-time like I used to, I'd be more frustrated at not being able to start any new webcomic projects.

I already have plans in motion for two new projects, one of which (which isn't really new) might actually be able to start before Avalon ends (but I won't pursue it to the detriment of Avalon, even though that might be hard to believe at the moment). Maybe I'll set a release date for the other one, and that'll kick Avalon into gear. :-)

Heck, if I do the calculations... 12 weeks of comics remain, which would put Avalon's finale on April 30 of this year. Of course, there's no hope in hell of me actually achieving that, but I could reasonably work toward having Avalon conclude by late summer. And that would push me toward having a new webcomic up and running for October-ish.

This is mostly just me thinking out loud, so don't hold your breath quite yet. But it kinda gives you an idea of what's in store once Avalon's finished.

JOSH.
Josh Phillips
Keenspot Despot

Postby Gigafreak on Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:20 pm

Josh Phillips wrote:I already have plans in motion for two new projects, one of which (which isn't really new) might actually be able to start before Avalon ends

Cog? COG! COOOOGG!!
WE FINALLY GET TO SEE IF DANA B
Sticks and stones may break my bones...
But a giant mallet will break them faster.
ImageImageImage
If you can't see these images, I hate Geocities and I'm too lazy to register elsewhere.
Ever try dodging rain without an umbrella?I couldn't do it either.
Gigafreak
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Spaceman42 on Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:23 pm

Ben Stein: B
Last edited by Spaceman42 on Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
My whole libido goes out to Austria-Hungary. - Sigmund Freud
Souvenirs d'Avalon mirror site | My homepage | My Avalon Code | My CRFH!!! Code | SPEC ShoutCAST
Spaceman42
Keenspot Despot

Postby MarkusN on Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:45 am

Gigafreak wrote:(I'm diacritically challenged. Hush.)

I don't understand why you are saying that.

*looks innocently at the ceiling.*

[quote="Gigafreak"]WE FINALLY GET TO SEE IF DANA B
definitely: 92.5 million; definately/definatly: 10.16 million. 11%. Strong the disturbance in the force is.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Gigafreak on Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:25 pm

[quote="Apparently, Markus changed my text above so that I correctly"]B
Sticks and stones may break my bones...
But a giant mallet will break them faster.
ImageImageImage
If you can't see these images, I hate Geocities and I'm too lazy to register elsewhere.
Ever try dodging rain without an umbrella?I couldn't do it either.
Gigafreak
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Sartan Cat on Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:08 am

Josh Phillips wrote: ...two new projects, one of which (which isn't really new) might actually be able to start before Avalon ends (but I won't pursue it to the detriment of Avalon, even though that might be hard to believe at the moment). ... JOSH.

I believe you Josh and thanks.
Sartan Cat
Keenspot Despot

Postby Mcfarlane Salsa on Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:36 pm

Gigafreak wrote:
Josh Phillips wrote:I already have plans in motion for two new projects, one of which (which isn't really new) might actually be able to start before Avalon ends

Cog? COG! COOOOGG!!
WE FINALLY GET TO SEE IF DANA B
Mcfarlane Salsa
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GrassyNoel on Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:13 am

Mcfarlane Salsa wrote:Cog? Can someone please tell me what in the seven levels of Hell Cog is? Only I seem to have missed that in the last year...

http://www.livejournal.com/users/cogthecomic/
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Mcfarlane Salsa on Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:02 pm

GrassyNoel wrote:
Mcfarlane Salsa wrote:Cog? Can someone please tell me what in the seven levels of Hell Cog is? Only I seem to have missed that in the last year...

http://www.livejournal.com/users/cogthecomic/

Ah yes. I thought it might be that, as I remember that it was PR'd at one point. A spy comic would be cool...

*lightbulb ping*
Mcfarlane Salsa
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Gamerking on Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:35 pm

Hey Josh. I'm not going to sit here and ask when the new comic will come out. Just want to ask how the wife is doing. Congratulations by the way on getting her. She looks great.8)
* damns the fact that that was 5 months late*

Yeah we've never met here or anywhere, but Josh your comic is great. I read the whole series in one night, one comic at a time. You've done one hell of a good job. I really hate to see this end, but like all good things, they must come to an end. I really think that it could be in the papers if you submitted the strip to any paper. Thanks for everything.
Gamerking
Junior Keenspotter

Postby vlion on Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:43 am

*blinks*
Dawg man, this thing kept me up.
You should finish this off and go publish it in paper, manga-style.
I really wanna find out what happens! :D

~V'lion
vlion
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Counterfit on Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:54 am

Oh dear God, JOSH LIVES!

I was getting kind of scared there for a while, no update, or even mention of the lack of an update. Glad to see that there's some activity again :)
Counterfit
Junior Keenspotter

Postby mobilene on Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:52 am

Josh Phillips wrote:I'm going to start posting some new comics starting next week. But it won't be Monday, since I'm out of town this weekend.

Glad to hear you're going to get back to it! Best of luck with the sleep problems and all. I feel for you.

jim
mobilene
Keenspotter Supreme

Avalon in hiatus

Postby hengist on Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:09 pm

Q: What's the difference between "it's been easier for me to put some creativity into a different project", and "I'm bored with Avalon"?

A: Artistically, a lot, I'm sure. In practice, none. I really wanted to be proven wrong (I wanted to know what *happened*, for Chrissakes). But that's the way the cookie crumbles. RIP Avalon.
"When God wrote reality, she deliberately introduced some bugs"
hengist
Junior Keenspotter

Postby vlion on Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:38 pm

:-?

Josh, man, it would be sooo nice if you finished it off.
Its a great comic- could you get it done ??? :wink:
/b
|f(x)dx = F(b) - F(a)
/a
vlion
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Josh Phillips on Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:40 pm

I'll reiterate that "I absolutely do not want Avalon to remain unfinished." I just can't finish it at the moment... so the ending will have to wait a bit longer.

(And if anyone has thought this far ahead, I'll put the ending in my last will and testament, okay?)

JOSH.
Josh Phillips
Keenspot Despot

Postby GrassyNoel on Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:14 am

I was a bit scared when I read the recent news item. But I still trust that Josh will end Avalon properly one day.
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby SeptumSin on Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:55 am

I like Avalon, it's a great comic but I for one will not take my chances with a new comic because I don't wish to be drawn in again only to find that it as well won't be updated. Several of my friends that read the comic think the same way. I implore you to either finish Avalon or just not do anything online altogether but I don't believe that leaving one thing hanaging and starting another will do well. Again I mean not insult or anything but as an avid fan of the series it upsets me to see it end like this.
Look. I only fired after the woman told me to!
SeptumSin
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Mcfarlane Salsa on Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:05 pm

Josh Phillips wrote:I'll reiterate that "I absolutely do not want Avalon to remain unfinished." I just can't finish it at the moment... so the ending will have to wait a bit longer.

(And if anyone has thought this far ahead, I'll put the ending in my last will and testament, okay?)

JOSH.

"What do you mean I can't take my AK-47 on board the Bristol-Kingston flight?"
Mcfarlane Salsa
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: Avalon in hiatus

Postby Tenma on Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:11 pm

hengist wrote:Q: What's the difference between "it's been easier for me to put some creativity into a different project", and "I'm bored with Avalon"?

A: Artistically, a lot, I'm sure. In practice, none. I really wanted to be proven wrong (I wanted to know what *happened*, for Chrissakes). But that's the way the cookie crumbles. RIP Avalon.

In practice, the difference is that one way Josh produces comics, and the other way he doesn't.

It doesn't take a genius to see that a pattern has developed over the past two years... Josh tries to get back into doing the comic regularly, and he sometimes succeeds, but not for more than a couple of weeks at the time. I don't think we could realistically expect this pattern to change anytime soon. I'd love to see Avalon concluded, but at the rate of one comic every 25 days?

It's not that he doesn't want to finish it, but as many people have said before, he's not getting paid for this. He has just as much going on in his life as everyone else, and it's hard to get comics done when you come home tired from work or you just don't have a lot of time on your hands. It's only going to work if you have enough motivation to keep it going, and unfortunately Avalon has stagnated lately.

On the other hand, Josh is excited about the new project, and he's exercising creative muscles he hasn't used in years. This looks like it will provide the drive he needs to keep producing comics. And I think that once he's done with this project, he'll probably be able to look at Avalon with a fresh perspective.

Don't start singing funeral dirges for Avalon just yet. I'd prefer to think of this as a medical leave rather than a diagnosis of impending death.

Later...
--Tenma

(Rated WEB-MA for Strong Language and Sexuality)

Check out the Treading Ground ComicGenesis Forum!
Tenma
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Josh Phillips on Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:07 pm

SeptumSin wrote:I like Avalon, it's a great comic but I for one will not take my chances with a new comic because I don't wish to be drawn in again only to find that it as well won't be updated. Several of my friends that read the comic think the same way. I implore you to either finish Avalon or just not do anything online altogether but I don't believe that leaving one thing hanaging and starting another will do well. Again I mean not insult or anything but as an avid fan of the series it upsets me to see it end like this.

If you really suffer as much as you're trying to suggest, I propose that *you* are the one who needs to do something about it, not me.

The only person I am at the beck and call for is myself.

JOSH.
Josh Phillips
Keenspot Despot

Postby lironmiron on Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:34 pm

Tenma wrote:It's not that he doesn't want to finish it, but as many people have said before, he's not getting paid for this.
Does that mean that if we made a collect and paid him, he'd be able to finish it quickly?
lironmiron
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Tenma on Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:39 pm

lironmiron wrote:Does that mean that if we made a collect and paid him, he'd be able to finish it quickly?

Heh, that would be nice wouldn't it? But I doubt that we could ever get enough Paypal donations going for him to be able to quit his full-time job, and that's the only way I could see that really working.

Later...
--Tenma

(Rated WEB-MA for Strong Language and Sexuality)

Check out the Treading Ground ComicGenesis Forum!
Tenma
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Mega Mike on Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:36 pm

Avalon is a great story, and it's worth waiting for it to finish. If Josh wants to take some time off from it, he has been working on it for nearly 4.5 years. If he wants to do another webcomic, that's great. Maybe it'll be better than Avalon, maybe not.

But FOR THE LIVE OF GOD, FINISH AVALON. That's all I ask.

And if I hear anymore talk of "finish Avalon now" crap, someone's gonna get a swift kick in the pants. Josh has more to do than entertain internet monkeys, even though we appreciate it when he does. If you don't like waiting, you don't have to come back to the site.
I'd kill for a stack of pancakes that could kill for me
Mega Mike
Junior Keenspotter

Postby vlion on Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:41 pm

A-men, bruddah!
/b
|f(x)dx = F(b) - F(a)
/a
vlion
Junior Keenspotter

PreviousNext

Return to Avalon