Story: Feb. 14th: The Scientist Who Missed Damien

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Story: Feb. 14th: The Scientist Who Missed Damien

Postby showler on Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:18 pm

Okay.....that's the most normal looking person unshadowed in this comic ever (Ellen is normal looking except for being a hot female Elliot).

I guess we get to listen in while Grace learns her own history, and discovers that several things she knows are lies.
Last edited by showler on Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
No trees were killed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were terribly inconvenienced." - anonymous

"Please. I have had too much of the stupid today. Please wait until tomorrow to say these things so my tolerance has refreshed." - Umya New Gold Dreams
showler
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Sabin_XIII on Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:27 pm

Is that everyone unshadowed, then? And am I the only one who likes that guy's hair?

So... Damien knows more are coming to the hideout. Fun for all concerned.
Sabin_XIII
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Haesslich on Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:57 pm

Sabin_XIII wrote:Is that everyone unshadowed, then? And am I the only one who likes that guy's hair?

So... Damien knows more are coming to the hideout. Fun for all concerned.

Well, either he'd guessed she wouldn't have come alone, or else he did the smart Evil Overlord thing and had surveillance set up on his hideout.

Then again, by capturing Elliot, he may also have been hoping to get any of Grace's friends (who would also perhaps be shifters) to come along. Breeding material, or just the raw stuff of an army of weres.
Haesslich
Keenspot Despot

Postby Chrysicat on Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:03 pm

Sabin_XIII wrote:So... Damien knows more are coming to the hideout. Fun for all concerned.
*twitch* interesting definition of fun there...!Image
Hmmm...it appears that the shadowed one was a Dr. Sciuridae (I can't think of anyone else who'd spontaneously call baby Shade Tail 'Grace'), but I still suspect he may not be the Dr. Sciuridae for whom Nioi is searching (that's probably Grace's human-DNA donor). I am a little surprised that the Doc looks the same now as he did probably 15 years ago...
Finally doing more than just editingTriquetra Cats! Chrysicat's World--just awaiting passable art from Vasty or me...
Chrysicat
Transgoddess, bunny of bad bunny punnage, and all-around twisted psycho b***... and those are my good points!
Chrysicat
Keenspotter Supreme

Location: Cowlorado, where the place is beautiful but the people are s***...

Postby gwalla on Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:49 pm

Sabin_XIII wrote:Is that everyone unshadowed, then? And am I the only one who likes that guy's hair?

He has awesome hair.
ImageImage
gwalla
Keenspot Deity

Location: Berkeley, CA, USA irc://us.nightstar.net/gwalla,isnick

Postby Captain Z on Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:19 am

Chrysicat wrote:I am a little surprised that the Doc looks the same now as he did probably 15 years ago...

Well if you think about it, there is really two things you'd see age over the course of 10-15 years. Graying hair, and an increase of wrinkles. If you look at the shade of gray in his hair now verses the shade used in Grace's memory, you see there is a distinct difference. If you compare his head in panel 1 verses his head on the right of panel 2, they are nearly identical in orientation, and it highlights the lines now present on his face and neck.
Image Image - Bunny with 6,595 XP

More EGS Avatars than you can shake a stick at! - (Last Updated 1/21/06, total 421 avatars)
Have an EGS avatar you'd like me to color? Private Message me, and I'll see what I can do, or learn how to do it yourself!

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all." - God, Futurama
"So you see, my lad, the true moral of the Battle of Trenton is if you party to hardy, George Washington will kick your ass. Any questions?" - Mr. Verres, El Goonish Shive
[blog] - but you don't have to read that...
Captain Z
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Zzedar on Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:43 am

Maybe Damien isn't as stupid as he seems. If he did pick up on Elliot's knowledge of Hedge but hid it, that would explain how he knows others are coming.
Throw from behind the cheese.
Zzedar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tiamat on Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:50 am

Maybe there's more to the informant than we suspect. Notice he doesn't smile at grace at all, not even in the flashbacks. Perhaps he's a double agent?
Slovlotsky's Law #7 "When you know not whereof you speak, your mouth is best used for chewing."
Tiamat
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Armiture on Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:31 am

Damien's comments about friends indicate one of two things: it's a shot in the dark to gage Grace's reaction or Vlad did in fact notice Nanase's avatar and mentioned it to Damien.

Though it's possible the nest's surveillance systems are still operational, Damien killed off the humans but there's been no indication, in the flashbacks, he wrecked the place.

It'll be interesting to see if Mr Verres and his associates save the day or end up doing clean up work again.

BTW if Tedd's father and Nanase's father are brothers, shouldn't Elliot have noticed Nanase has the same last name as Tedd when they were dating? Verres doesn't strike me as a common name or does Nanase's father spell it Vairs (see Susan's comment in the strip of 20030103) because he's embarassed by this brother?
For the light of a candle to be seen, it must be taken to a dark place. -- U. K. LeGuin
Armiture
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Roxanne on Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:03 am

Armiture wrote:BTW if Tedd's father and Nanase's father are brothers,

I'm confused; I thought it was Tedd's mother and Nanase's mother who were sisters - meaning that their married names might well be different from each other...
Roxanne
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Resourcerer on Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:33 am

I captured him with the hopes that he could consult us

Didn't you mean "advise us" rather than "consult us," Dan?
- Resourcerer
Resourcerer
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby 127.0.0.2 on Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:56 am

ElGoonishShive Entertainment presents

A Dan Shive Production

Painted Black - Answers
Keenspot Despot

Postby Hyz on Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:46 am

Guys, its Tedd's father and Nanase's mother are siblings. I believe in the clean-up part of the Sister story line, Tedd's father say something to the effect of 'I suppose my sister doesn't know you're wearing that' to Nanase, revealing all.

The fact that human grace and Dr. Scuiridae (assumedly) appear to have similar skin tone is quite revealing...
Hyz

Postby Hyz on Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:46 am

Guys, its Tedd's father and Nanase's mother are siblings. I believe in the clean-up part of the Sister story line, Tedd's father say something to the effect of 'I suppose my sister doesn't know you're wearing that' to Nanase, revealing all.

The fact that human grace and Dr. Scuiridae (assumedly) appear to have similar skin tone is quite revealing...
Hyz

Postby DarkShive on Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:08 am

Hyz wrote:Guys, its Tedd's father and Nanase's mother are siblings. I believe in the clean-up part of the Sister story line, Tedd's father say something to the effect of 'I suppose my sister doesn't know you're wearing that' to Nanase, revealing all.

It was actually "sister in-law"; the relation is on Tedd's mother's side, and even if she was Mr Verre's blood sister, she would take on the last name of the man she married.

The scientist has aged with his hair becoming grey and more wrinkles. It's more obvious when it's a front view close-up of his forehead, as that's where the most noticable wrinkles would show up.
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby jimmyinwhite on Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:39 am

i had a feeling that it was graces dad being held.
i walk the land of dreams looking for the truth.

yu quurp yum cho rumz eh zlounc reepot hel cho glach.
jimmyinwhite
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tropylium on Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:57 pm

Yep, I don't remember anyone else being left shadowed. And yep<sup>2</sup>, nice hair.
Tropylium
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Zzedar on Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:52 pm

I don't think Vlad would have volunteered any info to Damien. Damien said that Vlad never made him (Damien) hit him (Vlad), but I think that just means Vlad is more subtle than Hedge. He obviously doesn't like Damien.

I also think he knows how powerful Grace is. When Damien punched her out, the "idiot" was probably directed Damienward. And since it obviously has to be Grace who kills Damien, he's right.

Oh, and apropos of nothing, I think Vlad is a chupacabra.
Zzedar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Schol-R-LEA on Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:56 pm

Zzedar wrote:Oh, and apropos of nothing, I think Vlad is a chupacabra.

Unless he's been slipping off to Guatemala to suck goats (and the occasional villager), wouldn't that be 'chupavaca' instead?
Schol-R-LEA;2 ELF JAM LCF BiWM MGT GS
First Speaker, Last Eristic Church of Finagle and Holy Bisexuality || Keeper of the Tent Peg of Homosexuality +5
How long have you been a Mad Scientist?
#define KINSEY (rand() % 7) // Oinos! Oinos! Pentadaktyloi phylloi!
You draw it, we misinterpret it. - Bo Lindbergh
Realitas vestri renuo, sufficioque mei.// moderator of the GenderShifters LJ community
Schol-R-LEA
Keenspot Despot

Postby Zzedar on Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:41 pm

Chupabestia. Chupasangre.
Zzedar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Guest on Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:29 pm

Tiamat wrote:Maybe there's more to the informant than we suspect. Notice he doesn't smile at grace at all, not even in the flashbacks. Perhaps he's a double agent?

While all of that may be true, his lack of smileing is way to little evidence for me. Many people do not smile until they have a very good reason to,
such as a really good joke or funny situation, or something that is almost insufferably joyous.
If Grace and "papa" were in a happy situation, and he was still not smileing, then that would give me cause to wonder.

Postby darknight66071 on Sat Feb 14, 2004 8:33 pm

That was me just now.
:oops:
with 545 exp.
And at last, I bid all of thee, a Dew. Have one, there is plenty in the fridge.
darknight66071
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Zzedar on Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:41 pm

I'm like that. But the scientist does seem a little out of it. Maybe he's had a stroke at some point?
Zzedar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Sabin_XIII on Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:57 pm

Tiamat wrote:Maybe there's more to the informant than we suspect. Notice he doesn't smile at grace at all, not even in the flashbacks. Perhaps he's a double agent?

Maybe he's just a frowny person? I don't smile too much, myself.
Sabin_XIII
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Resourcerer on Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:43 am

Zzedar wrote:Chupabestia. Chupasangre.
Chupaquesadilla...
- Resourcerer
Resourcerer
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Next

Return to El Goonish Shive