[28 Jan 04] Well, it was only a matter of time....

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

[28 Jan 04] Well, it was only a matter of time....

Postby K A H on Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:29 pm

As in, 'twas only a matter concerning the time elapsed since the last comic that finally prompted one of Sir Josh's creations to rise up and destroy him. She certainly has a "Geez, if you want anything done around here, you have to do it yourself," look on her face. And is that Agnes MacF's claymore currently taking up residence in Our Good Cartoonist's heart and lungs? And why not, it'd be a valuable family heirloom I'm sure.

Still, good luck surmounting the latest challenges thrown across your path, Sir. Including emotionally unstable Scottish-Canuckian girls wielding implements of death and possessing borderline personalities that make Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction look like a saint. :D

K.A.H.
As a family heirloom, a claymore is certainly more of a conversation piece than my great-grandad's clock....
K A H
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Haesslich on Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:57 pm

I don't know about y'all, but I'd say that Ceilidh's found a damned fine way to use a filler sketch's revelations against her creator. :D

Apparently, contract negotations did go rather poorly, and Josh got shafted big-time.
Haesslich
Keenspot Despot

Postby Ceilidh MacFarlane on Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:15 am

Haesslich wrote:Apparently, contract negotations did go rather poorly, and Josh got shafted big-time.

You could say so, laddie, you could say so! Actually I wanted to summon my forebear to appear here and explain her actions, but the keenboards obviously screw up registrations again. Ach!

Well, I guess with me in charge of future storylines the Fanboys will see more of my plans come to fruition in future.

Don't know if you'll like the change in drawing style, though.
I can still try to change his mind
Ceilidh MacFarlane
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby MarkusN on Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:23 am

Say, Ceilidh, how may times exactly have you killt Josh on panel up to now? He's made a come back last time, hasn't he? Seems to be pretty resilient, the boy.

Pfft! And to think that Josh said he'd rather not have any breaking of the fourth wall in Avalon. But granted, that was more through a side door than at the audience directly.
Last edited by MarkusN on Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
definitely: 92.5 million; definately/definatly: 10.16 million. 11%. Strong the disturbance in the force is.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Ceilidh MacFarlane on Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:44 am

Just noticed another thing: I probably should change my sig now.

But let's just pretend I am speaking about Josh in it now.

BTW, Markus: You forgot the linkies. ;)
I can still try to change his mind
Ceilidh MacFarlane
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Mravac Kid on Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:50 am

Ceilidh MacFarlane wrote:Well, I guess with me in charge of future storylines the Fanboys will see more of my plans come to fruition in future.

Don't know if you'll like the change in drawing style, though.

It could be argued that we never followed the comic for its artistic excellence :p
Ride the Wild Wind - push the envelope, don't sit on the fence
Ride the Wild Wind - live life on the razor's edge
For reasons unknown, I have a LiveJournal - now featuring the Webcomic Pimping Series!
Mravac Kid
Keenspot Despot

Postby Agnes MacFarlane on Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:58 am

Ach! That forum thing wis lag tae accep' ma appl'cation, wis 't nae?

Yon laddie sh'r haed 't comin', he haed! Nae guid mirdin' wi the auld maucht, hit isna. :evil:
Ony quaisten, laddie?
Agnes MacFarlane
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Mravac Kid on Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:21 am

Welcome, Agnes!

(I'd poke her, but I don't want to have my hand cut off :) )
Ride the Wild Wind - push the envelope, don't sit on the fence
Ride the Wild Wind - live life on the razor's edge
For reasons unknown, I have a LiveJournal - now featuring the Webcomic Pimping Series!
Mravac Kid
Keenspot Despot

Postby llorcalon on Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:25 am

[reels from the vicious assault of gallic accent]
[engages bablefish]

Ach! That forum thing wis lag tae accep' ma appl'cation, wis 't nae?

my this forum appears to be frightfully late in accepting ones application is it not?

Yon laddie sh'r haed 't comin',he haed!

the young geltleman was certainly deserving of yon claymore upon his noggin thats for certain.

Nae guid mirdin' wi the auld maucht, hit isna.

errrr....... my the gladiolai are marvelous at this time of year are they not?
[balefish promply explodes from assault with a deadly scottish accent]
Last edited by llorcalon on Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
i have the mind of a criminal genius-
its in the fridge,next to mumsy....
llorcalon
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:28 am

You're beginning to weird me out Markus...

I like it :D
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby MarkusN on Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:37 am

*Bows @ DocEB*

llorcalon: The Index Thread has a new addition in the How-To section that might serve you better than bubbleflash.

(It certainly did serve me better.)

What is astonishing to me how much of that Scots reads like Plattdeutsch to me. (Platt is a common name for all the nether-German dialects.)
definitely: 92.5 million; definately/definatly: 10.16 million. 11%. Strong the disturbance in the force is.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Agnes MacFarlane on Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:49 am

llorcalon wrote:[reels from the vicious assault of gallic accent]

Gallic??! That wis Lallans, hit wis!
Ony quaisten, laddie?
Agnes MacFarlane
Junior Keenspotter

Postby GrassyNoel on Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:19 am

MarkusN wrote:What is astonishing to me how much of that Scots reads like Plattdeutsch to me. (Platt is a common name for all the nether-German dialects.)

Plattdeutsch and English are more alike than they may look to the untrained eye.

I like the idea behind today's sketch. If you want a job done, sometimes the only way is to do it yassel.

PS I thought "Gallic" meant French.
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby MarkusN on Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:29 am

GrassyNoel wrote:Plattdeutsch and English are more alike than they may look to the untrained eye.
Oh, I know. One of the sites I hit during my research also stated that Scots has remained more true to the Germanic Anglo-Saxon roots of the English language

It can mean that, of course, but the Celtic languages on the isles are divided into Cornish, Welsh, Gallic (Scottisch Gaelic) and Gaelic (Irish Gaelic). At least I was told by a guy from the Yorkshire dales that the Celtic Scots call their language Gallic.
Last edited by MarkusN on Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Mcfarlane Salsa on Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:44 am

GrassyNoel wrote:
MarkusN wrote:What is astonishing to me how much of that Scots reads like Plattdeutsch to me. (Platt is a common name for all the nether-German dialects.)

Plattdeutsch and English are more alike than they may look to the untrained eye.

I like the idea behind today's sketch. If you want a job done, sometimes the only way is to do it yassel.

Yep. Ye wan-, I mean, you want Gaelic, Neil.

"Under New management" Does this mean the end of Avap0rn? So much for my upcoming piece then...
Mcfarlane Salsa
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby MarkusN on Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:55 am

Mcfarlane Salsa wrote:"Under New management" Does this mean the end of Avap0rn? So much for my upcoming piece then...

Pfft! As if Josh ever published pr0n on the front page before.
Bring it on McFS, if you dare. Just ask Tenma about possible consequences. It's not like Ceilidh can ban you. Last I heard she hadn't acquired moderator status on the boards yet. ;)

Hm. Another detail just sunk in. Notice the implement Josh is holding in his cold hand? Makes you wonder what he was drawing, if not Avalon. The final piece of that pillowfight, maybe? Something even more adventurous?

Also, the scene is evidence that Josh is a southpaw. Any confirmation on that?
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Gigafreak on Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:00 am

MarkusN wrote:Say, Ceilidh, how may times exactly have you killt Josh on panel up to now? He's made a come back last time, hasn't he? Seems to be pretty resilient, the boy.

Last time, a handgun. Now, a claymore.

Next time, an orbital strike.

Which Josh will doubtless survive, but that makes it all the more painful.
Sticks and stones may break my bones...
But a giant mallet will break them faster.
ImageImageImage
If you can't see these images, I hate Geocities and I'm too lazy to register elsewhere.
Ever try dodging rain without an umbrella?I couldn't do it either.
Gigafreak
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby GrassyNoel on Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:04 am

MarkusN wrote:
It can mean that, of course, but the Celtic languages on the isles are divided into Cornish, Welsh, Gallic (Scottish Gaelic) and Gaelic (Irish Gaelic). At least I was told by a guy from the Yorkshire dales that the Celtic Scots call their language Gallic.

Oh OK, didn't know that.

Add to the list of Celtic languages those that don't occur on the British Isles as such: Manx (extinct), Breton and the languages of the Channel Islands, which are IIRC closest to the Gaulish that Asterix would have spoken. I also read once that Cornish was closer to Breton than to any other Celtic language.

Trivia: Why "Great" Britain? Because around the time of the Roman invasion, Brittany was known to the Romans as "Less" Britain (Brittania Minor, I think). Britons (who are Celts) inhabited both places. Strictly speaking, the English are not Britons, but the Scots, Cornish, Manx and Welsh are.
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby MarkusN on Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:15 am

GrassyNoel wrote:Add to the list of Celtic languages those that don't occur on the British Isles as such: Manx (extinct),
I knew I'd forgotten one.

I also read once that Cornish was closer to Breton than to any other Celtic language.
Makes sense, as one of the sources I checked listed cornish as also named "British".

Britons (who are Celts) inhabited both places. Strictly speaking, the English are not Britons, but the Scots, Cornish, Manx and Welsh are.
Some remember. From a song I know from the Dubliners:
Some men fight for silver, and some men fight for gold,
but the IRA are fighting for the land that the Saxon stole.
(Ironically enough the song is in the language of said Saxons. Please also remember that this song is about the pre-Irish republic IRA, thus a band of terrorist that has since won its historical legitimation, just like, say, Menachem Begin)
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Wheresmybeer on Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:02 am

Thats fuckin' hilarious.

Sorry for the lack of eloquence...
Wheresmybeer
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Eliot Fan on Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:49 am

Pity there are no celtic speakers left in Anatolia, Spain or the Poe valley. Those wacky celts do get around.
Iulius Caesar wrote:Gallia est omnes divisa in partes tres, quorum unum incolunt Belgae, aliam Aquitani, tertiam, qui in ipsorum lingua celtae, nostri galli appalantur.

Thus it's confusing, because Gallic refers to a single geographic region but it's also a general adjective for all things celtic; eg Galatia in Turkey.
-Wilhelm
If Homer has taught us anything, it is that war is hell and romance is a whore.
-Me
Eliot Fan
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Location: In this brief transit where the dreams cross/The dreamcrossed twilight between birth and dying

Postby GrassyNoel on Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:54 am

"These Romans are crazy!"
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Spaceman42 on Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:15 pm

No, GN, you can't have any magic potion.

*cheers silently and does the happy dance - just ordered print #7*

Oh, and I'm almost tempted to make a reference to the song 'Scotland's Depraved' - once posted on this forum, but lost in the Crash - but I'm not entirely suicidal. I'm sure I'll be hurt more than enough for having mentioned it.
My whole libido goes out to Austria-Hungary. - Sigmund Freud
Souvenirs d'Avalon mirror site | My homepage | My Avalon Code | My CRFH!!! Code | SPEC ShoutCAST
Spaceman42
Keenspot Despot

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:32 pm

Well, you could have made reference to Black 47's Funky Celidh. :D
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby Spaceman42 on Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:37 pm

Uh, it's 'Ceili', not 'Ceilidh'. At least for their song.
My whole libido goes out to Austria-Hungary. - Sigmund Freud
Souvenirs d'Avalon mirror site | My homepage | My Avalon Code | My CRFH!!! Code | SPEC ShoutCAST
Spaceman42
Keenspot Despot

Next

Return to Avalon