[FANART] See Pheobe's Christmas Baubles!

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

[FANART] See Pheobe's Christmas Baubles!

Postby Mcfarlane Salsa on Sun Dec 28, 2003 5:06 am

What do you think I meant :roll: ...

Comments welcome.
Mcfarlane Salsa
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Spaceman42 on Sun Dec 28, 2003 8:31 am

It's o before e, dude. Phoebe.
My whole libido goes out to Austria-Hungary. - Sigmund Freud
Souvenirs d'Avalon mirror site | My homepage | My Avalon Code | My CRFH!!! Code | SPEC ShoutCAST
Spaceman42
Keenspot Despot

Re: [FANART] See Pheobe's Christmas Baubles!

Postby MarkusN on Sun Dec 28, 2003 12:08 pm

Mcfarlane Salsa wrote:Comments welcome.
Umm, what can I say? Given the context she's recognizable as Phoebe, and the idea with the title is funny. Other than that, you could do with some practice. And what better object for practice than Phoebe's X-mas baubles.

One hint for drawing human eyes: The upper lid closes always to the point that it just touches the upper rim of the pupil, so the upper part of the iris remains covered. Almost all of the iris is visible in the lower half, though. The upper lid should also always be more prominent than the lower.
Even if the aspect is basically full frontal, the rims of the glasses being more or less concentric around the eyes gives a weird impression. Again, glasses normally sit lower, as it's easier to look down than up. When looking up we usually follow with the whole head.

Who said this was going to be easy? But practice is key, and having your work nitpicked by fellow amateurs probably isn't the worst thing for getting better.
definitely: 92.5 million; definately/definatly: 10.16 million. 11%. Strong the disturbance in the force is.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby gwalla on Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:19 pm

MarkusN has good points. I'd like to add that the neck really should be wider to be proportionate, and should blend into the shoulders rather than attaching at right angles. Also, her left breast seems to be tucked partly under her armpit...it looks like you couldn't decide whether to draw her body facing completely front or turned slightly to the side: her right arm (the left of the drawing to us) and torso are drawn more or less straight-on, while her left arm and flank are drawn at more of a 3/4 view, which causes the left breast to seem to be shifted too far to the side.
ImageImage
gwalla
Keenspot Deity

Location: Berkeley, CA, USA irc://us.nightstar.net/gwalla,isnick

Postby Tenma on Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:33 pm

Heh, and I thought my art got picked apart.

McFS, the best advice I can give for someone starting from scratch is to always use a reference pic or two. Don't copy the image exactly, but use it as a reference, to check proportions, placement of facial features and overall appearance. You'll eventually develop a sense of what these things are supposed to look like, but it's going to be a while.

It can be a frustrating hobby. People will generally give it to you pretty straight around here, and that might discourage you, but don't give up if you seriously want to improve. Drawing is a skill, and anyone can learn it with enough practice.

Later...
--Tenma

(Rated WEB-MA for Strong Language and Sexuality)

Check out the Treading Ground ComicGenesis Forum!
Tenma
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Mcfarlane Salsa on Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:30 am

Thanks for all the comments (except Spacman's :roll:). I do tend to mess up on angles, and stuff like necks or eye do tend to be more cartoonish and less real.
Mcfarlane Salsa
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Mravac Kid on Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:39 pm

Oh, and her hand is on backwards, or she's holding the ball with her pinky and ring finger :)

P.S. nevermind the critics, you have the guts to put your work up even when you know it's not that good, that's something I could never do. Keep improving and hopefully we'll see some avapr0n soon :)

Now you know what to do :)
Ride the Wild Wind - push the envelope, don't sit on the fence
Ride the Wild Wind - live life on the razor's edge
For reasons unknown, I have a LiveJournal - now featuring the Webcomic Pimping Series!
Mravac Kid
Keenspot Despot

Postby Spaceman42 on Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:27 am

It's e after c, dude. Spaceman.

[Yeah, not helpful at all. I'm just feeling too slack to actually make helpful comments about art. Besides which, I don't really have anything to say.]
My whole libido goes out to Austria-Hungary. - Sigmund Freud
Souvenirs d'Avalon mirror site | My homepage | My Avalon Code | My CRFH!!! Code | SPEC ShoutCAST
Spaceman42
Keenspot Despot

Postby Mcfarlane Salsa on Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:25 am

Spaceman42 wrote:It's e after c, dude. Spaceman.

[Yeah, not helpful at all. I'm just feeling too slack to actually make helpful comments about art. Besides which, I don't really have anything to say.]

[i]sarcasm

sar
Mcfarlane Salsa
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Mravac Kid on Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:14 pm

Mcfarlane Salsa wrote:As for Avap0rn, I already have done some. (May not work)

It works, and it's pretty good.
So now you've shown that you can do it, go do some more :)

And don't beat yourself over the mirrored hand, it happened on the cover of AD&D 2nd Edition Players Handbook too :)
Ride the Wild Wind - push the envelope, don't sit on the fence
Ride the Wild Wind - live life on the razor's edge
For reasons unknown, I have a LiveJournal - now featuring the Webcomic Pimping Series!
Mravac Kid
Keenspot Despot

Postby Galvatron56 on Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:54 pm

Mravac Kid wrote:
Mcfarlane Salsa wrote:As for Avap0rn, I already have done some. (May not work)

It works, and it's pretty good.
So now you've shown that you can do it, go do some more :)

And don't beat yourself over the mirrored hand, it happened on the cover of AD&D 2nd Edition Players Handbook too :)

Really? Now I have to go take a look.
"you're being daft and engaging in a bunch of nonsensical hand waving."
Galvatron56
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Avalon