[3:151] Grocery Store Manager?

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

Postby Hai-Etlik on Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:43 am

In colour.

Hai-Etlik
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby MarkusN on Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:49 am

Hai-Etlik wrote:In colour.
<snip>

/me likes.

I tried this myself (guess when I realized that Phil's jacket closes the wrong way) but had to give up on the first step: removal of the grayscale "colouring". How do you accomplish that? My problem is that, no matter how much I fiddle with the controls, every method either leaves too much gunk in the corners or eats away too much of the lines.

Heh! Irish green walls at Hildegarde's.
Umm, isn't the accepted colour of the "uniform" at Hildegarde's dark purple?
Given the general lighting I'd have made the brick walls darker, and given the dark background a deep blue hue (night sky). Though, with light pollution in a downtown area you are probably more right with the grey...
definitely: 92.5 million; definately/definatly: 10.16 million. 11%. Strong the disturbance in the force is.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Galvatron56 on Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:22 am

Animal wrote:
GrassyNoel wrote:
Josh Phillips wrote:So if Alison hates (nay, pretends not to exist) the part of her that wants to be open and carefree, she's naturally going to extend that onto Iain in the form of a hatred burning like a thousand white-hot suns.

Naturally. And we know how that always ends up, don't we. Ask any scoundrel.

Scoundrels always go to Australia. It's the natural order of things.

<princess bride alert>
Is that because, as everyone knows, Australia is entirely peopled with criminals?
</princess bride alert>

How's that immunity to Iocane powder working out?

Seriously, it sounds like a little change of climate and diet might be good for some characters. Field trip anyone?

"My hatred for you burns like a thousand white-hot suns." -Carla from Cheers

So... if you were to focus the burning heat of a thousand white-hot suns into one spot, where would it be? Hmmm....

<reads more posts>
Oh, it was a Star Wars reference. I don't wanna go on a field trip to the ice planet of Hoth. My Ton-Ton will freeze to death before I reach the first marker. "I wanna go where it's warm!"
"you're being daft and engaging in a bunch of nonsensical hand waving."
Galvatron56
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby MarkusN on Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:48 am

GrassyNoel wrote:
Spaceman42 wrote:[We need to see more Q! Come on! Redhead, freckles, glasses - she's like a Phoebe, but less violent and with fewer issues!]
I just want her to come into shot, just once, and say that she never jokes about her work.

Guess it tells something about my movie-going habits that I had to rack my brain about this when my "reference-alarm" went off.
definitely: 92.5 million; definately/definatly: 10.16 million. 11%. Strong the disturbance in the force is.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby GrassyNoel on Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:42 am

Galvatron56 wrote:So... if you were to focus the burning heat of a thousand white-hot suns into one spot, where would it be? Hmmm....

A thousand white-hot Canadian suns are as nothing next to one of ours

MarkusN wrote:
GrassyNoel wrote:
Spaceman42 wrote:[We need to see more Q! Come on! Redhead, freckles, glasses - she's like a Phoebe, but less violent and with fewer issues!]
I just want her to come into shot, just once, and say that she never jokes about her work.

Guess it tells something about my movie-going habits that I had to rack my brain about this when my "reference-alarm" went off.

"Do try to pay attention, [Markus]." :P

MarkusN wrote:Umm, isn't the accepted colour of the "uniform" at Hildegarde's dark purple?

The cast page picture of Alison seems to agree:

MarkusN wrote:
Wheresmybeer wrote:That coffee shop is going to need a couch and a timer pretty soon here.
Hey, that's the second duty of any barista, right after pouring drinks:

2. You are expected to serve as a wailing wall to your customers. And no, you can't charge PA's rates for that.

In my experience it doesn't apply in a cafe, though. Because everyone's supposed to be sober, there isn't the need.
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby MarkusN on Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:09 am

GrassyNoel wrote:
MarkusN wrote:
Wheresmybeer wrote:That coffee shop is going to need a couch and a timer pretty soon here.
Hey, that's the second duty of any barista, right after pouring drinks:
2. You are expected to serve as a wailing wall to your customers. And no, you can't charge PA's rates for that.
In my experience it doesn't apply in a cafe, though. Because everyone's supposed to be sober, there isn't the need.

Hah! You should be present for a day at the counter in my in-law's shop. Would tell you a different story. Granted, they sell health food, so probably have their fair share of whackos in the patronage, but it's sthe same thing in my wive's art supplies / framer's store, so in my experience the above statment holds true for pretty much any service job.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Animal on Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:11 am

GrassyNoel wrote:
Animal wrote:
GrassyNoel wrote:
Josh Phillips wrote:So if Alison hates (nay, pretends not to exist) the part of her that wants to be open and carefree, she's naturally going to extend that onto Iain in the form of a hatred burning like a thousand white-hot suns.

Naturally. And we know how that always ends up, don't we. Ask any scoundrel.

Scoundrels always go to Australia. It's the natural order of things.

Yes, but I was thinking of Han and Leia. Ah pity the foo' who didn't recognise the Star Wars reference in the word 'scoundrel'.

I was thinking more in terms of "penal colony." :wink:
Image I have a LiveJournal now. I'm not sure why.
Making people wonder what the hell is wrong with me since 1961
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Animal
Animal
Keenspot Despot

Postby GrassyNoel on Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:44 pm

And as we all know, England never sent convicts to any of its North American colonies.
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Galvatron56 on Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:02 pm

Yes, only religious extremists (Oliver Cromwell's cronies, otherwise known as the Pilgrims), indentured servants, and slaves.
Galvatron56
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:16 pm

Actually, I think he's refering to Georgia, which I believe was a penal colony when it was established (so was another state, but I can't remember which one.)
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby Animal on Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:11 pm

GrassyNoel wrote:And as we all know, England never sent convicts to any of its North American colonies.

Well, not to Colorado, certainly. :wink:
Image I have a LiveJournal now. I'm not sure why.
Making people wonder what the hell is wrong with me since 1961
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Animal
Animal
Keenspot Despot

Postby Galvatron56 on Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:53 pm

Doctor Emmit Brown wrote:Actually, I think he's refering to Georgia, which I believe was a penal colony when it was established (so was another state, but I can't remember which one.)

I have read that Georgia was founded as a place to put debtors instead of London prisons. I don't remember the full details, but there was something about debt not actually being a crime one could be convicted of, but people ended up in prison for it anyway...

It think it was also supposed to serve as a buffer between South Carolina and the Spanish in Florida, as well as the native peoples. Something like that. I was thinking of the colonists as indentured servants

http://www.publicbookshelf.com/public_h ... co_fj.html

The information in the volume is probably a little biased, but what's a man to do?
Galvatron56
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GrassyNoel on Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:56 pm

From what I read, Britain founded Sydney partly because they couldn't send their convicts to the new USA.

And W.A. has never been a penal colony either, Animal.
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby GrassyNoel on Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:13 pm

<End of off-topic snapping>

What's Alison's reason for being so bitchy at Phil? She must surely know who he has come to see. Hildegarde can look after herself (!!) so Alison doesn't need to protect her from him.
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:20 pm

She needs a reason? I thought she was just bitchy towards everyone.
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby GrassyNoel on Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:31 pm

I was hoping that Hildegarde had snapped her out of that.
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:38 pm

Baby steps Grassey. Baby steps. :D
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby MarkusN on Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:40 pm

GrassyNoel wrote:What's Alison's reason for being so bitchy at Phil? She must surely know who he has come to see. Hildegarde can look after herself (!!) so Alison doesn't need to protect her from him.

He just addressed her as "just you". While it's understandable that he was disappointed, as you pointed out yourself this is kind of rude. Could make anybody crabby, and with a person that is crabby to begin with, well...
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Hai-Etlik on Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:10 am

MarkusN wrote:Heh! Irish green walls at Hildegarde's.
Umm, isn't the accepted colour of the "uniform" at Hildegarde's dark purple?
Given the general lighting I'd have made the brick walls darker, and given the dark background a deep blue hue (night sky). Though, with light pollution in a downtown area you are probably more right with the grey...

I was guessing it wasn't too late at night yet, plus his blue jacket (Looks like the one he wore in on of the official colourings so I used the same colour) would be hard to see. Your mention of light polution did give me an idea for improving contrast in panels 2-3 though.

The green walls are also from an official colouring.

OK, here it is with darker brick, darker sky in panels 2-3 and Alison in purple livery.

MarkusN wrote:I tried this myself (guess when I realized that Phil's jacket closes the wrong way) but had to give up on the first step: removal of the grayscale "colouring". How do you accomplish that? My problem is that, no matter how much I fiddle with the controls, every method either leaves too much gunk in the corners or eats away too much of the lines.

I colour select all the white, grow by 1 pixel and select any bits of "white" I missed trying to get the edge of the selection in the middle of the lines. I invert the selection to go the other way. Finaly I invert if needed to get only those areas that are not white. Next I use colour curves to lighten until the light greys are white. Invert selection, select areas that have become white, and repeat until I have lineart. Usualy takes 4-5 steps. There is sometimes a bit of damage that I fix with a 1px pencil set to about 20 opacity.
Hai-Etlik
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby MarkusN on Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:30 am

Hai-Etlik wrote:I was guessing it wasn't too late at night yet, plus his blue jacket (Looks like the one he wore in one of the official colourings so I used the same colour) would be hard to see. Your mention of light polution did give me an idea for improving contrast in panels 2-3 though.
I really like what you did to the night sky there. I saw the problem with the contrast, but then, I really don't like that deep ultramarine for Phil's jacket either. Looks far to saturated for textile. But yeah, Josh used it here. Hm. that colouring also is evidence that there is no official Hildegarde's colour scheme.

The green walls are also from an official colouring.
That wasn't really a complaint; I just found it oddly fitting.

OK, here it is with darker brick, darker sky in panels 2-3 and Alison in purple livery
As already said, /me likes. Good attention to detail, too, like the blurred view-through effect of the glass panels of the car.

I colour select all the white, grow by 1 pixel and select any bits of "white" I missed trying to get the edge of the selection in the middle of the lines. I invert the selection to go the other way. Finaly I invert if needed to get only those areas that are not white. Next I use colour curves to lighten until the light greys are white. Invert selection, select areas that have become white, and repeat until I have lineart. Usualy takes 4-5 steps. There is sometimes a bit of damage that I fix with a 1px pencil set to about 20 opacity.
Kthnx. Have to try that once.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby GrassyNoel on Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:07 am

MarkusN wrote:Umm, isn't the accepted colour of the "uniform" at Hildegarde's dark purple?

Hai-Etlik wrote:OK, here it is with darker brick, darker sky in panels 2-3 and Alison in purple livery.

Deep purple, to be exact :)

Smooooooke on the waaaaaterrrrr
Fire in the sky

Hey, if Ryan likes Tangerine Dream and Deirdre is a Fruhead, Hildegarde can be a fan of Deep Purple, OK?
---
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Previous

Return to Avalon