IW! - Avalon style....

Canadian teenagers jus' kickin' it 24/7.

Moderators: MarkusN, Josh Phillips

Forum rules
Locked due to spam magnet.

IW! - Avalon style....

Postby Keradon on Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:38 pm

It was commented you guys here were gonna have a field day with this.

So seriously... who's cackling madly, right now??!
The Doctor: If the sum of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the square on the other two sides, why is a mouse when it spins?
Robot
----------------
The Doctor: You humans have got such limited, little minds. I don't know why I like you so much.
Sarah: Because you have such good taste.
The Doctor: That's true! That's very true.
The Masque of Mandragora
Keradon
Keenspotter Supreme

Location: Just a blue police box. Nothing you'd want to see the inside of, really.

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:44 pm

Dude, I was lauging so loud, and it was more at the outfits and the fish than the actual punchline. I'm sure my roomies think I'm crazy. :P
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby K A H on Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:11 pm

Doctor Emmit Brown wrote:Dude, I was lauging so loud, and it was more at the outfits and the fish than the actual punchline. I'm sure my roomies think I'm crazy. :P

Well, honestly, I think the dialogue in that comic is irrelevant - the art speaks for itself, and I believe it's using a Monty Python-style silly voice to do so. Hilarious, especially the fish.

(That said, I still have misgivings about the whole "Avalon" spillover into "IW!" given the massive difference in tone between the two comics, especially now that the fact that the latest "IW!" story is set in Avalon and embodies most of the defining elements of the former has been made much more explicit. I'm sure I'm just being unnecessarily uptight about it, but I've said it before and I'll say it again - the latter's free-wheeling hurtling back and forth between serious emotional drama and ludicrous off-the-wall humour set against a sci-fi premise and the former's preference for serious emotional drama and somewhat more subdued (though undeniably funny) humour set in an unequivocally realistic world do not a natural match make (the worlds of "It's Walky!" and "Melonpool" melded somewhat more smoothly, I thought - I'm not completely anti-crossover or anti-any stronger cross reference than a cameo, but my attitude towards a crossover depends heavily on the nature of the comics being crossed over). I'm just uncomfortable with the implication that the sort of goofy, fantastical antics that make "IW!" what it is can take place in the Avaloniverse. Still.... obviously it has the creator's blessing, so what right have I to complain? Did I hear someone say "none whatever"? Correct, reward yourself with a nice item of confectionery of your choice. :))

K.A.H.
Once those of us who need to do so look past the stylistic antonyms, it's certainly good for laughs. :D
K A H
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Marcos on Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:49 pm

It has never been explicitly stated that IW is currently taking place in Avalon, and I expect that, at the end of the storyline, we'll find out the name of the town, and it won't be Avalon.
Marcos
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby K A H on Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:12 pm

Marcos wrote:It has never been explicitly stated that IW is currently taking place in Avalon, and I expect that, at the end of the storyline, we'll find out the name of the town, and it won't be Avalon.

Yeah, you're probably right (it's been suggested before on this very forum). It'd certainly be typical of M'lud Willis to pull such a stunt and have the last and biggest laugh on all of us. I suspect we'll find out in a few weeks.

K.A.H.
I suppose the idea is to expect both outcomes. That way nothing will be unexpected! :)
K A H
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GrassyNoel on Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:01 am

I don't think it would be very good storytelling if it turned out not to be Avalon.
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby MarkusN on Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:10 am

Well, DW could chicken out and call the town "Kaladar"...

I think Walkie's enjoying this way too much. So's DW, BTW.
definitely: 92.5 million; definately/definatly: 10.16 million. 11%. Strong the disturbance in the force is.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Mcfarlane Salsa on Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:29 am

MarkusN wrote:Well, DW could chicken out and call the town "Kaladar"...

I think Walkie's enjoying this way too much. So's DW, BTW.

Kaladar? What the za?

And I was literally LOLing at this strip, but not as much as two weeks ago...
Mcfarlane Salsa
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby MarkusN on Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:36 am

Mcfarlane Salsa wrote:Kaladar? What the za?

That's the RW town in the location Josh picked for Avalon.

Seconded on the LOL.
definitely: 92.5 million; definately/definatly: 10.16 million. 11%. Strong the disturbance in the force is.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Haesslich on Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:47 am

Heh... but the uniform on Walkie still reminds me, in some sense, of a certain Ms. Richler - maybe it's the smile or similar 'flightiness'.
Haesslich
Keenspot Despot

Postby Galvatron56 on Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:26 pm

MarkusN wrote:

Seconded on the LOL.

And it didn't seem like a very nice place. Although, there was a garbage dump right outside of town.

It could be Avalon, but in some sort of pocket/parallel/alternate universive, like in Michael Crichton's Timeline.
"you're being daft and engaging in a bunch of nonsensical hand waving."
Galvatron56
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Mcfarlane Salsa on Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:10 pm

Galvatron56 wrote:
MarkusN wrote:

Seconded on the LOL.

And it didn't seem like a very nice place. Although, there was a garbage dump right outside of town.

It could be Avalon, but in some sort of pocket/parallel/alternate universive, like in Michael Crichton's Timeline.

That's been into a movie, right?

Is it any cop? or should I wait for LOTR:ROTK?
Mcfarlane Salsa
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby gwalla on Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:34 pm

Mcfarlane Salsa wrote:
Galvatron56 wrote:It could be Avalon, but in some sort of pocket/parallel/alternate universive, like in Michael Crichton's Timeline.

Initial reports indicate that it is pretty rank.
ImageImage
gwalla
Keenspot Deity

Location: Berkeley, CA, USA irc://us.nightstar.net/gwalla,isnick

Postby Doctor Emmit Brown on Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:57 pm

I dunno, the book was rather good. I hope the movie will be as well.
Doctor Emmit Brown
Keenspot Despot

Postby DaFalcon on Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:58 pm

The book was good, the movie filled in some plot holes but I don't think it does the book justice as a movie in its own right. Perhaps as a companion piece to the book it is OK, but I feel like the move just ... left everything out. I watching it with my gf and about two minutes into the movie and told her, "well, that was just the first 100 pages of the book." Obviously there is only so much time in the movie, but still.
DaFalcon
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Galvatron56 on Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:53 am

Mcfarlane Salsa wrote:
Galvatron56 wrote:
MarkusN wrote:

Seconded on the LOL.

Yeah, well you know that Return of the King (or "The War of the Ring", which was Tolkien's preferred title) is gonna kick Michael Crichton's sorry butt to the curb.

Honestly, I think that the best Michael Crichton book-turned-movie was "The Andromeda Strain", ala 1968.
"you're being daft and engaging in a bunch of nonsensical hand waving."
Galvatron56
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Avalon