OT, but student needs your help! HELP SCIENCE!

The teenage years. Friendships, crushes, growth... and hating. Lots of hating.

Moderators: Gisele Lagace, TCampbell

Forum rules
Penny and Aggie moved to http://www.pennyandaggie.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=1

OT, but student needs your help! HELP SCIENCE!

Postby Nekodromeda on Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:42 am

Hi! I'm an undergrad psych major graduating this May. In order to graduate, I need to write a thesis. Here's where you all come in. I'm doing a research paper on why people play or don't play video games. I know I might be biasing my results by asking people who read webcomics (Webcomics->geeky->gamer), but...you never know. So, help a girl out and fill out the survey? It's really quick and short, I promise.

Click here to take survey
Nekodromeda
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Chrysee on Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:48 am

Good luck with this. :) I'm also an undergrad psych major graduating in May! I just finished a year-long independent study at my school and it was a -pain- but alot of fun.
Chrysee
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Magick Lorelai on Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:46 am

Good luck with that. ^^

"There are precious few at ease with moral ambiguities, so we act as though they don't exist."
~Wicked, the Musical
Magick Lorelai
Junior Keenspotter

Postby ARETH on Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:24 pm

I fear for the state of higher education in this country.
ARETH
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Nekodromeda on Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:54 pm

Why?
Nekodromeda
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby atristain on Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:12 pm

There you go another monkey surveyed. Ook ook...err... I mean Good luck!
The sound of rolling dice
To me is music in the air!
'Cause I'm a gamblin' Boogie Man
Although I don't play fair!
atristain
Keenspot Despot

Postby snowp14 on Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:58 pm

Good luck! I WAS an undergrad psych major at UCSD... but then I changed my major. I'm currently working on my thesis as well... ahhh...
snowp14
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Black Mantha on Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:30 am

I posted "non-gamer","do play games" and it demands a reason I don't play games.
Seeing, believing
Dreaming, deceiving
- Nightwish, Sleepwalker
Black Mantha
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Richter on Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:11 am

Same with me. Answered anyway. However, not everyone who plays computer games is a gamer. ;)
Richter
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby iRobot on Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:46 am

Richter wrote:Same with me. Answered anyway. However, not everyone who plays computer games is a gamer. ;)

And not all gamers play computer/video games. While I do play the occasional computer game, it's tabletop RPGs (D&D, Mekton, etc.) and miniature wargames (Warhammer 40K, Battletech, etc.) that make be a gamer. :D
Kyn
-----
No, if I were really a jerk, my sig would contain lots of pictures, tired quotes, insipid "wisdom," brainless "wit," and/or lines of text art. And I would be deluded enough to somehow think that any of that was actually cool.
iRobot
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Richter on Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:30 pm

Allright, I do that too, so I guess I would be more of a gamer after all. Funny. In German, the word only includes computer and console gamers. Learn something new every day (or something). ;)
Richter
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby iRobot on Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:39 pm

Richter wrote:Allright, I do that too, so I guess I would be more of a gamer after all. Funny. In German, the word only includes computer and console gamers. Learn something new every day (or something). ;)

Likewise, I just kinda assume it was the same everywhere. Huh. Here, in the States, table-top RP-ers and wargamers were called gamers way before the video game crowd. Consider it useless trivia to annoy your friends with.
On that note, what do you guys caller your tabletop gamers? (I want to annoy my friends, too.) :D
Kyn
-----
No, if I were really a jerk, my sig would contain lots of pictures, tired quotes, insipid "wisdom," brainless "wit," and/or lines of text art. And I would be deluded enough to somehow think that any of that was actually cool.
iRobot
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Alecat on Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:35 pm

Good luck with this. I hope you see a wide spread of demographics!
Alecat
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Richter on Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:22 am

On that note, what do you guys caller your tabletop gamers? (I want to annoy my friends, too.)

They fall under the Rollenspieler (literally: role player, referring to all kinds of tabletop games (D&D as well as Warhammer miniature warfare stuff)) label.
Richter
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Black Mantha on Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:06 am

Richter wrote:
On that note, what do you guys caller your tabletop gamers? (I want to annoy my friends, too.)

They fall under the Rollenspieler (literally: role player, referring to all kinds of tabletop games (D&D as well as Warhammer miniature warfare stuff)) label.
But not live action roleplaying? What do you call them?
Seeing, believing
Dreaming, deceiving
- Nightwish, Sleepwalker
Black Mantha
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Richter on Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:09 am

Argh. I forgot about them, shame on me. ;)
Richter
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Wiggy on Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:56 am

Aren't live action RP-ers called Larpers? (I'm basing this on the actual RP-ing being called Larping)

In any case, glad to help by taking your survey. =)
This is text. :'D
Wiggy
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Richter on Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:18 am

Yes, they are. Mniature warfare players are usually called Tabletoppers (the term tabletop reers to only miniature games like WH40K in German, oddly enough) and D&D and their ilk are either just referred to as Rollenspiel or Paper&Pen (usually P&P). Yet they all fall unter Rollenspieler (roleplayers).
Richter
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby iRobot on Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:23 am

Huh, cool. Thanks, Richter. :)
Kyn
-----
iRobot
Keenspotter Supreme

Another monkey surveyed....

Postby Sassy-fras on Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:41 pm

I finally took the survey and I'm shocked that for the final question....I wrote a mini-research paper! Hope it helps! =D
Marco: Maybe if you showed Dr. Zaius the proper respect, Dr. Zaius would stop showing you the POO! -Josie and the Pussycats-
Sassy-fras
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Alecat on Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:35 pm

Yeah, I wrote a bit for the last question too. I wasn't going to say anything at all, but then little bits kind of piled up!
Alecat
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby oddtail on Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:47 pm

iRobot wrote:. On that note, what do you guys caller your tabletop gamers? (I want to annoy my friends, too.) :D

"gracze RPG" (meaning "RPG players").

Incidentally: it's interesting how the "RPG" abbrieviation borrowed from English is universally used, and the Polish equivalent "gry fabularne" (literally "games with plot") is rather uncommon.

On the other hand, seeing as that kind of gaming originated in the English-speaking world...

EDIT: oh, and a very common colloquial word is "erpegowcy" (which comes from the word "erpeg", which in turn is derived from "RPG"). I guess it'd translate as "RPGers".

That's a long-winded chunk of data that you don't really need - but if that doesn't annoy your friends, nothing will ;)
oddtail
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Penny and Aggie