12-05-06 Dittohead Drones

The teenage years. Friendships, crushes, growth... and hating. Lots of hating.

Moderators: Gisele Lagace, TCampbell

Forum rules
Penny and Aggie moved to http://www.pennyandaggie.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=1

12-05-06 Dittohead Drones

Postby Shadrach on Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:51 am

Count me in as someone who likes Randy's art.

Helen's facial expressions, especially in the last panel, say it all. Although she's found a new group to hang out with, and Aggie at least seems to genuinely care about her, Helen clearly still feels left out.

At the same time, I'm digging on Aggie and Lisa's relaxed, warm friendship complete with tickle-fights. So cute! Aggie seems to be finding her niche socially after spending so much of the strip's first two years by herself mooning over boys she couldn't have, poems she couldn't finish, causes she couldn't recruit anyone to, and occasional conversations with Duane. BTW, where is Duane? Still recovering from Penny giving him "the talk"? Hey, maybe he should hook up with Helen. :D
Shadrach
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Epik High on Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:52 am

I agree that I do really like Randy's portrayal of Helen; for some reason, it just fits with her character. This strip really drove home how Helen's feeling- she just doesn't feel like she fits in, and I can definately sympathize with how hard that can be. I hope, however, she doesn't try to find acceptance in Karen, because she's definately not the person to give it to her. As much as I adore Helen, she does set herself up to be used quite easily.

And it's definately nice to see how comfortable Aggie and Lisa are around each other. They just seem to 'get' each other.

Duane/Helen? o_O I don't see it, but hey, if T and Gisele can make it work- Hey, I'm all for it.
Epik High
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Black Mantha on Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:23 am

Rather an odd way to tickle someone, by the way. If her right hand was 5 cm lower, I'd swear she was groping Lisa.
Seeing, believing
Dreaming, deceiving
- Nightwish, Sleepwalker
Black Mantha
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Richter on Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:52 am

Yes, he does get Helen across fairly well. He does an awful job with Lisa and Aggie, though, if you ask me. Karen and Marsh worked too. Can't tell with Fred and Daphne though.
Richter
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Cookie on Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:06 pm

Oh people, stop complaining. We all know Gis will be back very soon with awesomelicious art as always.

I mean, I prefer Gis' art too, but y'know, having a guest artist for a little while is probably really nice for her, giving her time to work on other things and to get ahead bufferwise (which ultimately benefits us), and it seems kind of rude and unneccessary when everyone just keeps... complaining about the guest artist. If this was about a permanent change of artist I'd be more understanding, mind you. But it isn't.
Image Image
Cookie
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby RadicaLElly on Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:46 pm

Oh people, stop complaining. We all know Gis will be back very soon with awesomelicious art as always.

I mean, I prefer Gis' art too, but y'know, having a guest artist for a little while is probably really nice for her, giving her time to work on other things and to get ahead bufferwise (which ultimately benefits us), and it seems kind of rude and unneccessary when everyone just keeps... complaining about the guest artist. If this was about a permanent change of artist I'd be more understanding, mind you. But it isn't.

...Did you even READ this thread?
RadicaLElly
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Kia Purity on Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:40 pm

I'd like to say that I don't have any problems with the art as seeing how I read S*P as well.

(Still not quite sure why people are complaining about art, there's quite a variety out there.)

I feel so bad for Helen... she's going to end up feeling like she'll never fit in anywhere...
Kia Purity
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Kate on Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:55 pm

RadicaLElly wrote:

I don't think Cookie's post is out of line. A significant portion of comments on the guest artist's work (many of which are in other recent threads, obviously) have been negative. I walked away with a similar overall impression of reader feedback.
Kate
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Meliasaurus on Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:21 pm

i didn't think that anyone was complaining.
they were just discussing the artwork? can't you have a discussion about disliking something without complaining?

i agree. he is really good at helen. and marshall/karen were tolerable
but aggie and lisa just seem very ... off
i dont know why.
Meliasaurus
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Eyeless Blond on Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:24 pm

Eh, even Lisa looks good, though in the first panel she seems to be suffering a little from Princess Lein cinamon-bun hair. I think what bothers me most about Aggie is her chin; the way she's drawn reminds me more of Pee-jee than Aggie. Aggie's chin is a bit more rounded.
Eyeless Blond
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Freemage on Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:47 pm

Okay, I've really, really been trying to not think this way, just 'cause it's too easy to jump to this conclusion, and because T&G have been playing with us far too much for me to follow this line of thought.

But Lisa is:

1: Aggressively hostile towards the woman dating the fellow Aggie likes ("Skank"), and;
2: Openly dismissive of Aggie's crush on Marshall ("Because she's in wuuuuuv!").

Dare I suggest this sounds a wee bit like... jealousy?

Now, before I go completely down the road of silly sapphic speculation, allow me to retain just a wee shred of skepticism, by acknowledging that Lisa could very well be jealous in precisely the way I've suggested that Stan was jealous of Penny--not as a romantic rival, but as a broader 'rival for a good friend's attention'.

Still, they'd make a hot couple. 'Specially in silhouette.
Freemage
Keenspot Despot

Postby Richter on Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:09 am

That's possible. Though I'd think sympathy for Aggie plays into her open hostility towards Karen (Karen used and dumped Aggie), and she considers Marsh an idiot because, well, he is.

I doupt she's really going to have to compete with these two for attention, not unless Marsh and Karen split up.
Richter
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby AKeenGuy on Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:42 am

Epik High wrote:I agree that I do really like Randy's portrayal of Helen; for some reason, it just fits with her character.

Some reason like him drawing the first story to feature her?

Anyway, I know T is still writing it, but for some reason Lisa and, to a much lesser degree, Aggie seem different in this storyline.

What
AKeenGuy
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby TCampbell on Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:43 am

Helen appeared very briefly in the first strip, although our art style wasn't as settled then.
TCampbell
Keenspot Despot

Postby Cookie on Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:28 am

Kate wrote:
RadicaLElly wrote:

I don't think Cookie's post is out of line. A significant portion of comments on the guest artist's work (many of which are in other recent threads, obviously) have been negative. I walked away with a similar overall impression of reader feedback.

Yeah, I could've made the same comment in one of the other recent threads, it was merely coincidence that I chose this one. I did read it and noticed that people still weren't done commenting on how they didn't like the guest art. :P

Now, I'm not against discussing the art of the comic, but the repetitive moaning about the art of a guest artist that we know will only draw the comic for 12(?) strips is kind of... pointless?

Anyway.
Image Image
Cookie
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby TCampbell on Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:50 am

[quote="AKeenGuy"]What
TCampbell
Keenspot Despot

Postby iRobot on Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:53 am

[quote="TCampbell"][quote="AKeenGuy"]What
Kyn
-----
No, if I were really a jerk, my sig would contain lots of pictures, tired quotes, insipid "wisdom," brainless "wit," and/or lines of text art. And I would be deluded enough to somehow think that any of that was actually cool.
iRobot
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby AKeenGuy on Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:10 pm

TCampbell wrote:Helen appeared very briefly in the first strip, although our art style wasn't as settled then.

I thought she might
AKeenGuy
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby missMagdalena on Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:51 pm

For what it's worth, I tend to hang with my high school's equivalent to Aggie's group, and I do admit to liking ANTM. And typically everyone else says things like "But it's so trashy... okay, I watch it too." It is a really addictive show.

On another note, I can't believe that Daphne would say something to Helen's face about her fashion choices when they're supposed to be the accepting ones who like Helen for who she is. That is just really out of line.
missMagdalena
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby TeaSlinky on Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:35 pm

missMagdalena wrote:On another note, I can't believe that Daphne would say something to Helen's face about her fashion choices when they're supposed to be the accepting ones who like Helen for who she is. That is just really out of line.

I don't think critiquing fashion choices necessarily means that one doesn't like a person for who they are.
I find it less friendly when people say things about your clothes behind your back instead of to your face, especially when its something as trivial as clothing.

Still, I must agree that that panel made me think "if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all..."
TeaSlinky
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Ollie_Vera on Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:56 pm

missMagdalena wrote:On another note, I can't believe that Daphne would say something to Helen's face about her fashion choices when they're supposed to be the accepting ones who like Helen for who she is. That is just really out of line.

Personally I think she might have just been trying to give advice, rather than be degrading. I mean, I'd rather my friend say in a harsh-but-honest way not to walk out of my room with that combination of clothes on then publicly embarass myself.

Although it IS kinda funny how she notices Helen's choice but doesn't notice Aggie breaking the fundamental rule of not mixing spots and stripes. xD
Ollie_Vera
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Penny and Aggie