11-22-06 Croppin' Heads

The teenage years. Friendships, crushes, growth... and hating. Lots of hating.

Moderators: Gisele Lagace, TCampbell

Forum rules
Penny and Aggie moved to http://www.pennyandaggie.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=1

Postby Yuko no Slayer-Dryad on Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:43 am

daanton wrote:
ARETH wrote:I'm not sure I understand the reference here. Yes, Scott McCloud said that, and yes, it's somewhat related to the discussion, but what's it doing there? So are we saying that Stan is a driven, do-it-yourself carpe-diem kind of guy who also reads books on the philosophy of art in a storytelling medium? Is it supposed to be a meta-reference to the whole comic, a sort of wink-wink nudge-nudge "these characters know they're in a comic" thing, or what? It's a bit overspecific and it doesn't make a lot of sense. The line is weird coming out of Stan, although I can't think of anyone in the strip that it would suit. It's...strange.

It's just Scott McCloud is deemed an authority on comics and comic-making, and to hear Stan refer to him like that makes me think Stan almost reveres him.

:-| Dense crowd.

Well, Mr. Campbell already holds McCloud in high esteem, so it makes sense.
If a man is right about something, and no one agrees with him and he is unable to put his truth into benificial action beyond mere principle, does it really matter whether he's right or not?
Yuko no Slayer-Dryad
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby daanton on Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:01 am

T., yes, but I was talking about Stan... :lol:
daanton
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ollie_Vera on Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:35 am

*sigh* :roll: Campbell is Stan's writer, and oftentimes the writer's personal likes make their way into their character's likes as well. Since T holds McCloud in high regard, Stan could as well.
Ollie_Vera
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby TCampbell on Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:21 pm

Stan and Jack are interested in the arts. We've seen them use poetry, poster art, video, and now T-shirt design.
TCampbell
Keenspot Despot

Previous

Return to Penny and Aggie