blonde ambition

The teenage years. Friendships, crushes, growth... and hating. Lots of hating.

Moderators: Gisele Lagace, TCampbell

Forum rules
Penny and Aggie moved to http://www.pennyandaggie.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=1

blonde ambition

Postby strawberry on Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:14 am

ohh, snap :lol:

I wonder what kind of shirts Stan has up his sleeve this time.
strawberry
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Pope William T Wodium on Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:29 am

I had forgotten why Stan might not care for Penny. This strip reminded me. Hard.
Pope William T Wodium, Lord of Odium, Poo-Bah of Podium, Sultan of Sodium, Prince of Rhodium, and the Eldest of that Name
-><-
As a Pope, I reserve the right to invoke infallibility at any time, including retroactively.
Pope William T Wodium
Keenspot Despot

Postby StarKruzr on Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:44 am

I know I'm dense, but can someone explain this to me?

"The models don't wear helmets?" What?
~'Kruzr, CI

FLEET: For Honor, Courage, and Really Big Guns.

Urban's Quills - Stay Sharp
StarKruzr
Keenspot Despot

Postby mbtiru on Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:58 am

StarKruzr wrote:I know I'm dense, but can someone explain this to me?

Back when Rich and Penny were an item, they had an argument over Rich's refusal to wear safety gear. It's what eventually led to their breaking up. Starting here, see also here and here.
mbtiru
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Richter on Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:58 am

Propably a referrence to her making Rich wear a helmet and stuff.

Damn, someone was faster. :)
Richter
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby AstralFireIX on Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:41 am

pee-double-you-enn.
AstralFireIX
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Starline on Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:12 am

Man, Stan is smooth....
Starline
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Karasuma on Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:16 am

Aw comeon, it's a double shot! Not only is he referring to the helmet INCIDENT, he's calling Penny stupid. You know, blondes=retards=helmets? At least I think so. Hehe, though the nicname blonde ambition is really cute if you just want to poke fun at somebody. It's awesome being blonde.
Sleep, that's where I'm a Viking!
Karasuma
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Kate on Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:05 am

Anyone else suspect that Stan asked Brandy to model for him as a way to trick Penny into doing it instead? If Brandy caught on quickly, that might explain the disconcerted look on her face.
Kate
Junior Keenspotter

Postby ivy-chan on Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:21 am

You know, it strikes me that if he's going to be hanging out so much with the girls that Penny is the alpha female of, it's not very smart of him to be openly hostile to the 'boss'. Group dynamics aside, it's not good to be openly hostile toward one of their friends, period. I might be misreading the way their friendships work, but man.
"Wherever they burn books they will also, in the end, burn human beings."
-Heinrich Heine
ivy-chan
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby daanton on Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:42 am

StarKruzr wrote:I know I'm dense, but can someone explain this to me?

OUCH! That male quip hurts!
daanton
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby oddtail on Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:24 am

*Laughs half happily, half maliciously* I love Stan's reaction to Penny here. He seems to know EXACTLY how to handle her. His stock goes WAY up right now, as far as I am concerned.
oddtail
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby courdorygrrl on Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:39 pm

I <heart> stan! And his snarky replies, ha!
courdorygrrl
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby jynni on Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:00 pm

I find it amusing how my "sides" change as the story progresses. Good storytelling I guess, because I have felt empathy for Penny and been annoyed at Stan in past arcs, but as time goes on he is slowly becoming a favorite of mine.

Also, Penny's excitment at modeling is just a little too typical popular diva reaction for me.

Major points for Stan. And I'd love to get a closer look at Brandi and her relationships (to both her girlfriends and to Stan/Brock). She's an interesting, forward, but surprisingly honest and straightforward girl.
jynni
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Little Wood on Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:11 pm

I'm new here although I've been reading for quite some time.
I hope I'm not the first to say that Stan is actually pathetic. He freely "admitted" to himself (although perhaps not with full honesty) that he's "in life for fun, chicks, praise, and bling." Get a clue? Did everyone just ignore that part or what? Even if he does have some sort of "psychological" issue and just denies it, that's no excuse for his actions. He didn't help Michelle restore her "faith in men" at all. He's obviously careless about what others feel, only of what others think of him in particular. Maybe that's why he even consolidated his thoughts on Michelle with Rich (other than the idea that he was also seeking "permission".)

And honestly, Penny is not dumb. She would not, even in the most desperate of times, ask Stan for a modeling gig. She of all people in the school is the most fit model material, period. I'm guessing that she's just being sarcastic or somehow trying to pull the attention to herself.

Furthermore, I think that Stan's motive for hating Penny is that since she's the "boss" he would be able to weaken her popularity by gaining the favour of all her friends/followers. Whatever, loser.

How is Stan any better than Karen? He's technically using Michelle. He does not love her. He does not really see anything in her except as someone to add on his "friends list," should we say. Or maybe I'm wrong, but what else could he possibly be screwing her for? Oh, other than the "fun" of course.

Does he really want to help her when he realized that she's OMG A VIRGIN??!!! ZOOOMG WE BETTER GET HER HOOKED!!!111

Stan's statement of "fun, chicks, praise, and bling" pretty much also translates to "power." What else could it be? He just wants to be popular, have fun, and do whatever. Isn't that in some at least slight comparison what Karen wanted?

My personal favorite characters: Penny and Aggie. They are opposites, but at the same time the most truthful and honest to themselves. (Although moreso Aggie.) Seriously, I miss Aggie. The fact that she actually has some brains does not make her a dull character at all. It's interesting to see how an actual SMART character deals with such a deluded world. With a stupid and common character such as Stan, we all know what the hell he's after.

Penny on the other hand, is smart and sympathetic. However, I find that she's having difficulty admitting things to herself and really having a deep introspection. I would imagine that's because she's more cautious of what people think of her. It's really a natural part of being a teenager. It's just that some people are more cautious than others. (I find Penny to be between Aggie and Stan. Pretty good balance.) At least she has some self-dignity and enough integrity to not do anything stupid like have sex or use people thus far. Brandi needs an actual life, thank you very much.

Feel free to disagree with me. I'm open to changing my opinion if ever I'll be swayed enough. :/
Sometimes a scream is better than a thesis.
Little Wood
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Freemage on Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:06 pm

Little Wood wrote:I'm new here although I've been reading for quite some time.
I hope I'm not the first to say that Stan is actually pathetic. He freely "admitted" to himself (although perhaps not with full honesty) that he's "in life for fun, chicks, praise, and bling." Get a clue? Did everyone just ignore that part or what? Even if he does have some sort of "psychological" issue and just denies it, that's no excuse for his actions. He didn't help Michelle restore her "faith in men" at all. He's obviously careless about what others feel, only of what others think of him in particular. Maybe that's why he even consolidated his thoughts on Michelle with Rich (other than the idea that he was also seeking "permission".)

Stan's a lot of things--glib, willfully shallow, and generally a smooth talker. But he's hardly 'careless about what others feel'. There are people he doesn't like (such as Penny), and for those folks he has disdain; for others, however, he seems to at least bear no ill will, and he takes some efforts he doesn't have to for people he cares about (Rich, Michelle). Furthermore, he seems to have a general policy when it comes to women--he's honest and up-front about what his interest is. If theirs coincides, then hurray; if not, then they can both move on. His biggest issue is a lack of empathy--he doesn't have those 'listening skills' Jack mentioned, and so tends to overlook cues that the other person may not be being as honest as he is about their own intentions.

And honestly, Penny is not dumb. She would not, even in the most desperate of times, ask Stan for a modeling gig. She of all people in the school is the most fit model material, period. I'm guessing that she's just being sarcastic or somehow trying to pull the attention to herself.

Eh... I think you're being a bit of a fanboy, here. Penny's not stupid, but she has certain key interests and desires, and modeling--even for Stan--would advance those goals.

Furthermore, I think that Stan's motive for hating Penny is that since she's the "boss" he would be able to weaken her popularity by gaining the favour of all her friends/followers. Whatever, loser.

Nope. You're missing a key part of the male adolescent dynamic. There really is a point when the 'old group' starts to disintegrate, as some of the guys start getting seriously involved with a specific girl. When that happens, the current bachelors of the group tend to get fairly pissy about it, and direct their annoyance at the disruption of their lives to the apparent cause--ie, the girl. Actually, if Stan has a parallel in that, it would be Sara (cooties, anyone?).

How is Stan any better than Karen? He's technically using Michelle. He does not love her. He does not really see anything in her except as someone to add on his "friends list," should we say. Or maybe I'm wrong, but what else could he possibly be screwing her for? Oh, other than the "fun" of course.

What you're failing to grasp is that whereas Karen is using people to get what she wants, Stan genuinely believes that both people in the interaction are getting what they desire.

Does he really want to help her when he realized that she's OMG A VIRGIN??!!! ZOOOMG WE BETTER GET HER HOOKED!!!111

Er, actually, him realizing that Michelle picking him for losing her virginity to means the 'deal' between them had changed was really pretty smart for someone as people-dense as he can be at times.

Stan's statement of "fun, chicks, praise, and bling" pretty much also translates to "power." What else could it be? He just wants to be popular, have fun, and do whatever. Isn't that in some at least slight comparison what Karen wanted?

It isn't the desire, it's the methods. Not that Stan doesn't have his down moments--the campaign, for instance, was pretty bent. But he genuinely tries to not hurt others in the pursuit of his goals. In some ways, he reminds me of a statement by P. J. O'Rourke, a noted conservative libertarian, who was astounded, during an extended examination of the U.S. Government, to discover that at their core, the politicians were people who genuinely wanted to help others and make them happy.

My personal favorite characters: Penny and Aggie. They are opposites, but at the same time the most truthful and honest to themselves. (Although moreso Aggie.) Seriously, I miss Aggie. The fact that she actually has some brains does not make her a dull character at all. It's interesting to see how an actual SMART character deals with such a deluded world. With a stupid and common character such as Stan, we all know what the hell he's after.

I would like to see a bit more of a return on the focus to Penny and Aggie both--even Penny's share of the last arc seemed kind of wedged in there, in comparison with the other events.

Penny on the other hand, is smart and sympathetic. However, I find that she's having difficulty admitting things to herself and really having a deep introspection. I would imagine that's because she's more cautious of what people think of her. It's really a natural part of being a teenager. It's just that some people are more cautious than others. (I find Penny to be between Aggie and Stan. Pretty good balance.) At least she has some self-dignity and enough integrity to not do anything stupid like have sex or use people thus far. Brandi needs an actual life, thank you very much.

Heh. The main reason Penny didn't have sex was because Rich wasn't willing to work hard enough for it. She was pretty clearly thinking it was going to happen when they went to his room in the first place. I like your analysis of her character otherwise.

Feel free to disagree with me. I'm open to changing my opinion if ever I'll be swayed enough. :/

Heh. Hope I didn't come across as too confrontational for your first post.
Freemage
Keenspot Despot

Postby kokutan on Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:17 pm

Ah, Freemage, you beat me. As I was going to say: Rawr, Little Wood, rant much???

My favorite thing about this strip is how quickly Penny's attitude towards Stan changes. She wants nothing to do with him and looks suspicious when he comes over to talk to Brandi, but as soon as he starts talking about modeling she latches on. She's cute in her fickleness.
Well, it made sense in my head.
kokutan
Keenspotter Supreme

Oh boy!

Postby Yawnitz on Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:01 pm

You have no idea how excited this strip makes me! I get to use my favorite cartoon quote with quite a lot of relevance!

*clears throat*

Ahem, here we go...

"Touch
Yes, I do think skunks are cute.
Yawnitz
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Little Wood on Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:12 pm

Penny's not stupid, but she has certain key interests and desires, and modeling--even for Stan--would advance those goals.

As I've mentioned, she could probably achieve these goals by easier means as she clearly is the more attractive figure than Brandi. Now, I will be honest with myself and admit that modelling isn't all about how pretty you are, but how you "carry" yourself. Eh, well, there's more to it. Anyway, it still seems more obvious that Penny would be a more suitable model for anything. I'm pretty sure that she knew Brandi was "hired" as a model for Stan before. Why didn't she ask him then? To say the least, admitting that she's not stupid, isn't it obvious to even the common person that she would've been rejected by Stan? She can't be serious now...

There really is a point when the 'old group' starts to disintegrate, as some of the guys start getting seriously involved with a specific girl. When that happens, the current bachelors of the group tend to get fairly pissy about it, and direct their annoyance at the disruption of their lives to the apparent cause--ie, the girl.

That is a ruling option. I will admit.

What you're failing to grasp is that whereas Karen is using people to get what she wants, Stan genuinely believes that both people in the interaction are getting what they desire.

Not quite, but I get where you're coming from. Stan is a bit more intelligent than Karen. That being said, he plans to achieve his goals of desire by first "pleasing" others. Now, my only problem with that is that he's not doing so with his heart and soul as plain and obvious as it is. He knows that if he were to obtain such desired goals by harming others then he wouldn't exactly achieve anything in the long run, and it looks to me as though that's what he's all about, how things'll be in the aftermath. Remember, popularity comes easy when you're doing things "for people," but he obviously has too much credit for the little things he's done unlike Aggie who really doesn't care about the credit, but rather the intention that something good comes out of her actions.

Er, actually, him realizing that Michelle picking him for losing her virginity to means the 'deal' between them had changed was really pretty smart for someone as people-dense as he can be at times.

I'm pretty sure that Michelle picked him because of his reputation...Well, let's face it; she was just horny for a long time, but I don't plan to judge her so soon as I feel there's got to be something more to her...maybe not. Eh, I'm not too sure what you mean by "to means the 'deal'" though.

Heh. The main reason Penny didn't have sex was because Rich wasn't willing to work hard enough for it. She was pretty clearly thinking it was going to happen when they went to his room in the first place.

I agree and disagree. Penny did not intend sex to happen because as it was about to occur she clearly states that she was turned off. They both wanted each other but in different ways. She wants him to want her. He wants her to want sex. (or maybe more, but I doubt it...) Her wanting him to want her does not mean sex necessarily. I'm more than sure that Penny can have a decent relationship without sex or any inclusion to sex. Penny wants to be seduced, but I don't think she wants to "give it up all at once," as she clearly stated. She could've given it up a long time ago to anyone. Maybe Rich was special? Maybe not? I'm not ruling out the possibility that I'm wrong, but still...

Yep, your comments were actually neato. Feel free to keep 'em comin'...Anyone.
Sometimes a scream is better than a thesis.
Little Wood
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tsarevna_Erin on Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:41 pm

Freemage said:

I don't really get this. Karen has used ... who, exactly? Penny, maybe - but Penny used Karen in part to prove a point to Aggie, though I believe that she did feel bad about humiliating Karen and wanted to help her out. Marshall? Er, don't see that. She wanked him, he came, and when she asked him if he liked it, he gave no definitive answer. Karen of course is going to parse that non-answer into Marshall's being tongue-tied about having that sort of "experience." She may be - and likely is - dead wrong about that, but being wrong just makes her dense, not a user. Manipulative? Hell yes. But using? No. She probably truly believes that she is doing Marshall a favor, which is warped only because we can see how uncomfortable he is. But she seems blinded to it just as people claim that Charisma was blinded to Nick's discomfort in the phone-sex episode. I wouldn't call Charisma a user, either, but she, too, is manipulative.

Little Wood said:

Not quite, but I get where you're coming from. Stan is a bit more intelligent than Karen. That being said, he plans to achieve his goals of desire by first "pleasing" others. Now, my only problem with that is that he's not doing so with his heart and soul as plain and obvious as it is. He knows that if he were to obtain such desired goals by harming others then he wouldn't exactly achieve anything in the long run, and it looks to me as though that's what he's all about, how things'll be in the aftermath. Remember, popularity comes easy when you're doing things "for people," but he obviously has too much credit for the little things he's done unlike Aggie who really doesn't care about the credit, but rather the intention that something good comes out of her actions.

I see what you're saying here, and in some ways, I'm a little surprised that people disagree with the main thrust of your argument. People have said that Stan is the consummate politician, and what you describe is exactly what politicians do. Stan is very good at gladhanding. That doesn't mean that he does things completely thinking about how it will benefit him, but I'm sure it's in the back of his mind. Is Stan a loser? No. He's moderately good-looking, probably from a family with some means, probably a good student. But we've also seen that he's insecure in some ways and very calculating.

He likes girls and he's bedded some of the prettiest by giving them what they want. When I was 16, guys would rather have eaten a gun than give oral sex to a girl. And stopping midthrust to give a pep-talk to a willing virgin? Uh. No. Stan is like Marshall-plus - sensitive, tuned into what girls want, and liking sex, too. He gets laid out of it and he gets a rep for being a caring, loving soul. Since most guys his age are anything but, girls will line up to sample him. We've seen this already with Brandi and Michelle, and there have probably been other groups of girlfriends who have had the "Stan experience."

That said, this arc is puzzling me. I don't get why he doesn't just ask Michelle, who has a model's body, probably more so than Brandi and Penny, to do this. I also don't get the segue between Stan's talk with Jack to this shirt thing. I actually think Penny might be up to something. Brandi's been in her camp since the "Because He's Black" thing, which happened before the elections, so as someone pointed out, she would have to know that Brandi's modeled for Stan before - I'm not buying her surprise. She also has to know that Stan doesn't like her after the Rich thing, so why would she try to horn in on his modeling thing? I think she might be setting him up so that Michelle comes down off her "high" on him.
Tsarevna_Erin
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby snowp14 on Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:51 am

That said, this arc is puzzling me. I don't get why he doesn't just ask Michelle, who has a model's body, probably more so than Brandi and Penny, to do this. I also don't get the segue between Stan's talk with Jack to this shirt thing.

I think he's doing something sweet for Michelle, to surprise her. In high school, I had a friend who gathered all of his friends, lifted up their shirts and wrote a letter on their stomachs, so that when they all lined up they spelled, "Will you go out with me?", and so he brought this girl he liked over to them and they exposed their stomachs in unison. Maybe he's doing something similar?

I'm just throwing that possiblity out there. I actually can't see Stan seriously dating anyone at this point, but who knows
snowp14
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Freemage on Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:35 am

Little Wood wrote:As I've mentioned, she could probably achieve these goals by easier means as she clearly is the more attractive figure than Brandi. Now, I will be honest with myself and admit that modelling isn't all about how pretty you are, but how you "carry" yourself. Eh, well, there's more to it. Anyway, it still seems more obvious that Penny would be a more suitable model for anything. I'm pretty sure that she knew Brandi was "hired" as a model for Stan before. Why didn't she ask him then? To say the least, admitting that she's not stupid, isn't it obvious to even the common person that she would've been rejected by Stan? She can't be serious now...

You're assuming modelling opportunities grow on trees. This is very obviously not taking place in a large city, and really doesn't even have the 'feel' of a suburb of NYC or LA. Another point is that Penny tends to lose herself in the 'role' of being the popularity-obsessed fool at times, faking unintelligence even though she's fairly bright.

As Penny has said, there's nothing inherently wrong in wanting to be popular. Yes, he inflates the amount of credit he's due, and that's a negative trait, but it's hardly one worthy of huge amounts of hate.

And Aggie has occasionally slipped into the other trap associated with altruism--ego-stroking over how she's doing good.

I'm pretty sure that Michelle picked him because of his reputation...Well, let's face it; she was just horny for a long time, but I don't plan to judge her so soon as I feel there's got to be something more to her...maybe not. Eh, I'm not too sure what you mean by "to means the 'deal'" though.

Gah... Worst. Syntax. Ever.

I meant that Stan knows people enough to realize that, whatever Michelle was intending before they slept together, for many girls the 'first time' tends to be highly emotional. Prior to that, the 'deal' between them was Stan's usual deal--namely, that they were both just in it for some easy physical pleasure. He knows enough about women to realize that no longer applies, and rather than just sticking to the original arrangement (which, honestly, wouldn't cost him many popularity points in most high schools), he's trying his level best to see that Michelle comes out of this happy.

I agree and disagree. Penny did not intend sex to happen because as it was about to occur she clearly states that she was turned off. They both wanted each other but in different ways. She wants him to want her. He wants her to want sex. (or maybe more, but I doubt it...) Her wanting him to want her does not mean sex necessarily. I'm more than sure that Penny can have a decent relationship without sex or any inclusion to sex. Penny wants to be seduced, but I don't think she wants to "give it up all at once," as she clearly stated. She could've given it up a long time ago to anyone. Maybe Rich was special? Maybe not? I'm not ruling out the possibility that I'm wrong, but still...

Hm... I got a different impression. I believe she went into Rich's room intending to be seduced, with all that implies. However, his final moves were far too direct for her (she wanted romance and sultry words; he wanted immediate action), so things changed. Penny has standards, but up until that point, Rich had been meeting them, so she thought he would continue to do so.
Freemage
Keenspot Despot

Postby Saint_37 on Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:38 am

HAHA PENNY GOT VERBALLY PWNED BY STAN THAT IS ALL.

Oh, and it'll be interesting to see how Brandi's char plays the ally of two enemies!
There is never a need to outrun anything you can outwit.

The madness drives me away only to lure me back again.

"I am posting in this high quality thread."
Saint_37
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby JK9000 on Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:33 am

What I enjoy most about this strip is Jack's quite smile in the first panel, followed by his brief look of contention mixed with amusement at Stan's crack in the second panel. He, too, is unnerved by Penny, it seems.

Should I be alarmed that Jack completely and utterly dominates any and all strips he appears in for me?
Winter is Coming.
JK9000
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby jynni on Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:33 pm

haha, he does the same for me.. But I do love all the nuances in the background. Makes rereading interesting whenever we get shed new light on things.
jynni
Junior Keenspotter

Return to Penny and Aggie