Yo' Momma! [11/3/06]

The teenage years. Friendships, crushes, growth... and hating. Lots of hating.

Moderators: Gisele Lagace, TCampbell

Forum rules
Penny and Aggie moved to http://www.pennyandaggie.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=1

Postby JackFairy on Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:03 pm

Three years is a drought now? Come on, I really think a grown man would be better able to control himself than that. I think Nick is eager-to-please and in some ways submissive in general, and I'd say that accounts for his actions with Charisma far more than the idea that he just can't help himself because he's a man and she's a woman who's offering him sex.
JackFairy
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Freemage on Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:14 pm

Sorry, still not buying it. There's a world of difference between being an insecure teenager with hormones screaming through your body, and being a man in your mid-late thirties dealing with a sexually attractive and aggressive woman.

A 'three-year drought' is not going to reduce Nick to a gibbering, dick-enslaved moron. If he's having phone sex while his daughter is home, and having bang-the-wall sex while giving his students pop quizzes, it's because he's enjoying talking dirty and leaving odd stains on the plaster, not because he's under a witch's spell.

Oh, and that bit about having sex at work that you find so shocking? The most reliable poll I could dig up on short googling spit out 12% of people having reported having sex at the workplace, with another 10% fantasizing about it. So, while arguably not the most stellar behavior, it's hardly the end of Western Civilization.
Freemage
Keenspot Despot

Postby IS_Wolf on Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:23 am

LostPirateTX wrote:It's also probably very telling that she isn't more interested in meeting Aggie or more concerned about how this relationship is going to affect Nick's daughter and THEIR relationship... that doesn't indicate much of an emotional investment. The tube-tying comment to Marshall also says something about Charisma's lack of empathy.

I get the impression that she's like Stan claims to be-- just in it for fun.

Couple of things to consider though.
a) Nick isn't a beefcake by any means, if she's just in it for the sex, she could have her pick of any of the guys at the gym, especially the younger men. Women reach their sexual peak in their late 30s and early 40s afterall, whereas with men it's 18. And considering her looks, she could have her pick of the litter and not get any rejections.

b) Nick is probably also highly skittish. This is afterall, his first relationship again in who knows how many years. Add to that, that the woman in question, is an apparent knockout. He's going to be highly insecure and keep tossing roadblocks into the relationship, least on a subconscious level, so that the self fullfilling prophecy about the relationship being doomed from the getgo comes to pass.

If this is indeed the case, then her approach to the situation is a valid one. Do what you can to convince the person on the other side that you're not planning on leaving any time soon. That you're in it for the long haul, and that all these supposed problems will be taken care of in due time and more importantly by sticking together it will be easier to deal with said problems.

Worst case scenario: Aggie hates Charisma, meaning that as the devoted dad, he should break off the relationship.

What she's trying to get through his skull is that, such a solution isn't necessary, even if that were the case. And she does have a point, eventually Aggie will be out the door, living her own life and what about Nick then. Sometimes, it's ok for a parent to be a little bit selfish, might seem an odd thing to say, but it's still very much true nonetheless.

Which brings me to point c.
C) So why did she pick Nick?
Probably, because he's someone she can grow old with. Someone safe, yet still willing to be a little naughty, when push comes to shove. Someone, who can look beyond just the physical. As an instructor, she knows better than most, that it's impossible to keep that type of shape indefinitely. You can remain in good shape, considering your age, but you're not going to be holding 24/7 sex marathons any more. And at that point, it rather helps that you can talk with someone, and Nick does seem to be very well qualified in that department.

LostPirateTX wrote:As a female, if I were dealing with a man who were as pushy in a relationship and as dismissive of my very major concerns as Charisma is, I'd be seriously freaked out.

There's a bit of a double standard in this situation, but that's a story for another day. Ain't in the mood to make this a Jappus-like posting :P
IS_Wolf
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tsarevna_Erin on Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:21 am

IS_Wolf wrote:
Worst case scenario: Aggie hates Charisma, meaning that as the devoted dad, he should break off the relationship.

What she's trying to get through his skull is that, such a solution isn't necessary, even if that were the case. And she does have a point, eventually Aggie will be out the door, living her own life and what about Nick then. Sometimes, it's ok for a parent to be a little bit selfish, might seem an odd thing to say, but it's still very much true nonetheless.

I agree with most of this, but I find it a little odd that people are treating this like a situation where Nick is single by choice, etc. He's a widower. Aggie lost her mom. While I don't agree that Charisma is a selfish bint who doesn't give a damn about Aggie, I think that Nick, as a devoted dad and ar responsible one, has to be cognizant of the feelings of a daughter who has lost the first and most important relationship of her life. Aggie probably will NOT like Charisma.

And while I don't necessarily believe that Nick should drop Charisma for that reason, he needs to be aware that ANYone he dates for awhile is going to rub Aggie the wrong way, and he CAN'T be selfish here - not now, not yet. When Aggie leaves the nest, fine. But she's a teenage girl who lost. her. mother. Aggie's in pain and will be, in some form, for the rest of her life. That's just how it is when you lose a parent - and she lost her at a time where a mother's love and understanding would be coming even more into play.

For what it's worth, wanting to be responsive to Aggie's needs is probably what kept Nick out of the game thus far and is probably what made him slightly skittish about bringing Aggie and Charisma together. He seems secure enough in the relationship where he thinks that he, Charisma, Marshall and Aggie should spend time in each other's company. Hopefully, it will go well. The Nick/Charisma storyline isn't one of my favorites, but I like both of them and I agree with you that Charisma is thinking longterm with Nick as opposed to a fling. But Nick cannot be selfish right now when it comes to Aggie. To do so would be to ignore a still-fresh pain, and I just don't think he'd do that to Aggie.
Tsarevna_Erin
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby TheTeague on Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:06 pm

IS_Wolf wrote:Women reach their sexual peak in their late 30s and early 40s afterall, whereas with men it's 18.

What does that even mean anyway? If it's refering to reproduction, then 40 for a woman is pushing it for chances of an unimpaired offspring. If it's supposed to be about the peak of giving pleasure during sex, 18 is Waaaaay too young for men's prime. I'd say everyone's sexual peak is more like late 20's.

Whoever brought up social conceptions being false in the "Is Marshall innocent/have issues" debate should be all over this just promoting every guy trying to loose his virginity as early as possible and every woman taking years and years to get over the fear of being called a skank.
TheTeague
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby IS_Wolf on Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:39 pm

TheTeague wrote:
IS_Wolf wrote:Women reach their sexual peak in their late 30s and early 40s afterall, whereas with men it's 18.

What does that even mean anyway? If it's refering to reproduction, then 40 for a woman is pushing it for chances of an unimpaired offspring. If it's supposed to be about the peak of giving pleasure during sex, 18 is Waaaaay too young for men's prime. I'd say everyone's sexual peak is more like late 20's.

Whoever brought up social conceptions being false in the "Is Marshall innocent/have issues" debate should be all over this just promoting every guy trying to loose his virginity as early as possible and every woman taking years and years to get over the fear of being called a skank.

*Gets out a bunch of toy bunnies*
*Points to the two powered by Duracell batteries*

That's the human male at 18, and that's the human female in the range I indicated.

Do I need to explain more?? :wink:

And I wasn't talking social conceptions, or experience, but pure biology. There is a difference between the issues and I'll be the last one to condemn a woman for playing the field before she gets into a longterm relationship.
IS_Wolf
Keenspot Despot

Postby IS_Wolf on Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:50 pm

Tsarevna_Erin wrote:
I agree with most of this, but I find it a little odd that people are treating this like a situation where Nick is single by choice, etc. He's a widower. Aggie lost her mom. While I don't agree that Charisma is a selfish bint who doesn't give a damn about Aggie, I think that Nick, as a devoted dad and ar responsible one, has to be cognizant of the feelings of a daughter who has lost the first and most important relationship of her life. Aggie probably will NOT like Charisma.

And while I don't necessarily believe that Nick should drop Charisma for that reason, he needs to be aware that ANYone he dates for awhile is going to rub Aggie the wrong way, and he CAN'T be selfish here - not now, not yet. When Aggie leaves the nest, fine. But she's a teenage girl who lost. her. mother. Aggie's in pain and will be, in some form, for the rest of her life. That's just how it is when you lose a parent - and she lost her at a time where a mother's love and understanding would be coming even more into play.

For what it's worth, wanting to be responsive to Aggie's needs is probably what kept Nick out of the game thus far and is probably what made him slightly skittish about bringing Aggie and Charisma together. He seems secure enough in the relationship where he thinks that he, Charisma, Marshall and Aggie should spend time in each other's company. Hopefully, it will go well. The Nick/Charisma storyline isn't one of my favorites, but I like both of them and I agree with you that Charisma is thinking longterm with Nick as opposed to a fling. But Nick cannot be selfish right now when it comes to Aggie. To do so would be to ignore a still-fresh pain, and I just don't think he'd do that to Aggie.

Oh agreed on that end, only problem is, he seems a wee bit the type to go overboard and toss aside an otherwise potentially good relationship, just so he can be superdad.

It's essentially a balancing act, between being a dad on the one hand and a regular single man on the other hand. Hence, him asking her (Aggie) about how she'd feel if he got involved again.

Yes, she's hurting, but then again so is he. And if Charisma makes his pain feel a little less bad.. Makes it harder to argue. Just because he's fallen for Charisma, doesn't mean he loves Melody or Aggie for that matter any less. And that's where the balancing act comes in.

And on a side note, you don't need to be a teen to miss a parent, who's gone before their time. As long as you had a good relationship with them, then it really slams home, when you're completely confused about a situation and find you can no longer turn to someone you trust implicitly for advise. (Might not have worded this perfectly, so I hope you get what I mean. Wee bit tired.)
IS_Wolf
Keenspot Despot

Previous

Return to Penny and Aggie