Something for the "Charisma is Marshall's Mom" Deb

The teenage years. Friendships, crushes, growth... and hating. Lots of hating.

Moderators: Gisele Lagace, TCampbell

Forum rules
Penny and Aggie moved to http://www.pennyandaggie.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=1

Something for the "Charisma is Marshall's Mom" Deb

Postby Jabroniville on Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:23 am

I think this is a REALLY big case of jumping to conclusions. I mean, it's POSSIBLE, but I think in a lot of ways, it's not.

See, Charisma's drawn with a VERY young look most of the time, and looks certainly a lot younger than Aggie's dad does. She's not a teenager, but she looks to be only in her late 20s or early 30s at the oldest.

Charisma hasn't exactly been painted as a total skank either, so the "Marshall learned to hate slutty people from his mom" argument doesn't really apply here, either. I mean, the worst thing she's done is have 'dirty talk' over the phone... WITH HER STEADY BOYFRIEND. There's no evidence she's easy or sleeps around or any of that.

I think the look on Charisma's face in a recent strip where she told Karen Marshall was "in the shower" seems to imply she likes the idea of Karen jumping his bones, which is hardly motherly, even IF she's the worst mother on Earth, like some people are now implying. Also, their only interaction so far has been at work, when she told him to train Karen. Unless she's got her son working for her, it's unlikely that their relationship extends beyond that.

I think the best evidence FOR the theory is mostly in little side-comments that this strip does A LOT (I think mostly to get some people talking and build suspense). But even then it's stuff like "I Should tell Aggie, and YOU should tell...", and Marshall's comments about a "her" twisting his beliefs on sex. I mean, it COULD be linked, but on the other hand, this could easily be a coincidence that people are just letting get out of hand.
Jabroniville
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ria on Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:06 am

I repeated the theory as possible in the other thread, so let me respond --

1: I don't think Charisma, as portrayed in the comment, is slutty, skanky or anything similar. As you point out, she's having sex with her steady boyfriend (... albeit during school hours, which is irresponsible, but no, not slutty, unless Aggie's dad was labeled just as eagerly). I don't like it when people make a point of trying to knock down women who don't completely hide their sexuality, and it certainly wasn't my intent.

Sub-point to 1: Doesn't mean Marshall couldn't be overreacting to his mother being oversexualized in his mind. I'm not a teenage boy, so I don't know how teenage boys take it when their (presumably) single mothers don't really make any secret about sleeping with other men (or a single man, no matter). And anyway, I stated that he was being overcautious, overreacting; it's still very possible that this is exactly what he's doing, even if (as I view it for now, anyway) what his mother is doing is perfectly reasonable and acceptable according to anyone else.

2: re: Charisma's comment about Marshall being in the shower: who knows. I mean, even not thinking Karen a particularly honorable person, up til last week I would not have expected her to actually grab dick and start pumping. Nor would I have thought the bomb threat storyline in any way plausible, really (whereas Karen's story is actually plausible, it was still unexpected). This is T and Gisele's world.
ria
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: Something for the "Charisma is Marshall's Mom"

Postby iRobot on Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:21 am

Jabroniville wrote:I think this is a REALLY big case of jumping to conclusions. I mean, it's POSSIBLE, but I think in a lot of ways, it's not.

Ria already said some stuff I agree with, so no need for me to reiterate.

The way I see it, it may or may not be, but the possibility is quite intriguing.

See, Charisma's drawn with a VERY young look most of the time, and looks certainly a lot younger than Aggie's dad does. She's not a teenager, but she looks to be only in her late 20s or early 30s at the oldest.

So, Marshall's 16. Let's say, if Charisma is actually his mother, that she was the same age when she go knocked up. That takes care of the math, and it also provides a solid line of reasoning for Marshall's "we're kids" line that doesn't require Charisma to be labelled slutty.

I it right, is it wrong? T knows, but I won't 'til we get there. ;)
Kyn
-----
No, if I were really a jerk, my sig would contain lots of pictures, tired quotes, insipid "wisdom," brainless "wit," and/or lines of text art. And I would be deluded enough to somehow think that any of that was actually cool.
iRobot
Keenspotter Supreme

charisma is not marhall's mom

Postby halakahiki82 on Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:12 am

halakahiki82
Junior Keenspotter

Re: charisma is not marhall's mom

Postby Gisele Lagace on Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:18 am

halakahiki82 wrote:see here:
and here:
http://www.pennyandaggie.com/d/20050211.html

he has a normal, mom-ish mom.

Reread that strip ;)
Gisele Lagace
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby oenone on Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:22 am

http://www.pennyandaggie.com/d/20050202.html

and here:

...the woman shown isn't his mother... it's someone he does yard work for.
oenone
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Phalanx on Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:23 am

and here:

:-| You mean the one saying "Marshall doesn't live here, he's only done yard work for us"?
The Jaded, now on Graphic Smash!
Action. Adventure. Danger. For Hire.

This is How NOT to Run a Comic

Webcomic Finds | Keenspace Gear
Phalanx
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Zombielicious on Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:38 am

Phalanx wrote:

and here:

:-| You mean the one saying "Marshall doesn't live here, he's only done yard work for us"?

Touch
Devouring brains since 1984. Braaaaains! Yummy!
Zombielicious
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Sassy-fras on Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:41 am

I always thought Charisma might be Rich's mom. Don't ask me why because I wouldn't be able to put together a sensible explaination, but for some reason I'm thinking it's so. Marshall may have been scorned by a previous lover and not a parental figure. Maybe Charlotte and him dated? Maybe she wouldn't put out because she's religious and made him leave with a lot of remorse? So many possibilities, but guessing is fun. :D
Marco: Maybe if you showed Dr. Zaius the proper respect, Dr. Zaius would stop showing you the POO! -Josie and the Pussycats-
Sassy-fras
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: Something for the "Charisma is Marshall's Mom"

Postby Sebastian on Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:10 pm

Jabroniville wrote:I think the best evidence FOR the theory is mostly in little side-comments that this strip does A LOT (I think mostly to get some people talking and build suspense). But even then it's stuff like "I Should tell Aggie, and YOU should tell...", and Marshall's comments about a "her" twisting his beliefs on sex. I mean, it COULD be linked, but on the other hand, this could easily be a coincidence that people are just letting get out of hand.
T's comics just works that way. :)
Sebastian
Keenspot Despot

Postby AstralFireIX on Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:28 pm

She could just as easily be an older sister or Aunt.
AstralFireIX
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Sebastian on Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:05 pm

AstralFireIX wrote:She could just as easily be an older sister or Aunt.

But where is the fun in that ? ;)
Sebastian
Keenspot Despot

Postby Ollie_Vera on Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:50 pm

Although I can't pinpoint when and where, T said that Charisma and Nick are about the same age, and if Charisma looks a lot younger it's because she takes very good care of her body.
Ollie_Vera
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Jabroniville on Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:20 am

Funny thing is: I actually posted that EXACT same set of comics in here when I first made the topic, as potential proof about Marshall's mom. Then I read two strips ahead, realized the error, and immediately backtracked and Editted it out :).

Yeah, I recall that comment about Charisma & Nick being about the same age, and it could be potential evidence (ie. they're stating that Charisma IS OLD ENOUGH to be the mom of a teenager). I still wouldn't read too far into it, however. Especially because now so many people are guessing it, most webcomic creators would change the parentage after-the-fact just out of spite :).
Jabroniville
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ria on Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:22 am

*vindication dance!*

;)
ria
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Jabroniville on Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:35 am

Wow, what perfect timing for my big post on why it isn't likely :).

Of course, this just raises MORE questions. I mean, what was the reason for her semi-giddy expression with Karen asked where Marshall was (you know, the "in the showers" comment? And geez, that's gotta be the NASTIEST response to a question I've ever heard from a mother to her own son. "Not since getting my tubes tied"? I mean, that's her SON.

Of course, this could be Charisma's twin sister whom we've never met yet :).
Jabroniville
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Sebastian on Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:00 am

Told'ja. :P :P
Sebastian
Keenspot Despot

Postby taotu on Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:03 am

Jabroniville wrote:Of course, this just raises MORE questions. I mean, what was the reason for her semi-giddy expression with Karen asked where Marshall was (you know, the "in the showers" comment? And geez, that's gotta be the NASTIEST response to a question I've ever heard from a mother to her own son. "Not since getting my tubes tied"? I mean, that's her SON.

Oh, I know some mothers who would do that, unfortunately...

How about that follow up to the 'in the showers' comment- "Anything interesting happen?"
taotu
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Yuko no Slayer-Dryad on Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:07 am

Part of Marshall's issues may simply come from how much his cautious, responsibility-conscious attitude towards sex contrasts with Charisma's nonchalant approach. She may have trouble taking his concerns seriously enough.

And it may go well beyond this sexually-based concern of the moment. Charisma strikes me as a naturally outgoing person, and I've learned that they can often have a real hard time relating to introverts from experience, unable to undstand how any sane person could be that way. If that is the case with Charisma and her son. it would isolate him from her after a while, causing him to give up on ever getting any understanding from the most initial relationship in his life, causing him to grow up aloof and self-reliant.

The self-reliance could also be due to Charisma not being the World's most doting mother out there, as not every parent is willing to go out of their way to cater to their kid's wishes and feelings, and some can be rather selfish. Charisma appears to meet all the basic parental responsibilities, but I wouldn't be surprised if she was more like a wild big sister than a mother after the essentials, leading Marshall to learn to depend on her less and less.

Long story short: Marshall may not suffer from an abusive relationship with family at all, just simple alienation from a mother that he doesn't feel he can depend on and who doesn't make much effort to understand him.
If a man is right about something, and no one agrees with him and he is unable to put his truth into benificial action beyond mere principle, does it really matter whether he's right or not?
Yuko no Slayer-Dryad
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Draggy on Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:18 am

You know, when everyone first started speculating that Charisma was Marshall's mom, I didn't think much of it. Mostly because she didn't strike me as the mother type. She's a young woman still living like she's teenager. She flirts with guys, sits on her boyfriend's lap while he's at her work. Skips out on work to have phone sex. Sneaks around, etc. She's more a teenager than her son! So when the comic hinted she had a kid, I couldn't see it.

But now it makes since...considering Charisma's behavior with Nick, I'm sure that during Marshall's childhood/teenage years he's watched his mom go through A LOT of boyfriends. And watched her do a lot of sneaking around.

I mean, you see no inclination of a father figure. Maybe Marshall's dad bailed when Charisma was pregnant? Maybe Marshall's afraid because of the crappy role models he's got to base a relationship off of?

And yet...he's dating (and so far staying with) a girl very much like his mother....Guess she's a bigger influence than either of them think.
What if I don't want to tickle my brain?
Draggy
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Yuko no Slayer-Dryad on Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:39 pm

For the last time, Charisma is not young. The creators explained that she is middle-aged just like Nick. She simply has good genes and has aged gracefully. It does happen.
If a man is right about something, and no one agrees with him and he is unable to put his truth into benificial action beyond mere principle, does it really matter whether he's right or not?
Yuko no Slayer-Dryad
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Draggy on Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:34 pm

I meant young at heart. Not in age. You know, the type of woman not quite ready to let go of youth and settle down? That's what she strikes me as.

Sorry if I stated that wrong. But that's what I meant.
What if I don't want to tickle my brain?
Draggy
Junior Keenspotter

Return to Penny and Aggie