[1/11/06] Rich + underage?

The teenage years. Friendships, crushes, growth... and hating. Lots of hating.

Moderators: Gisele Lagace, TCampbell

Forum rules
Penny and Aggie moved to http://www.pennyandaggie.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=1

Postby S. Edmund on Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:01 pm

stregascozzese wrote:However, given that T has said that the age of consent in P&A-world is 16, so the girl has to be at least 16.

um, so people don't have sex before they're the age of consent? while I don't think it's right, I've known people who lost it waaay before the age of consent. 12, 13, 14. and for the record, I live in a fairly good area.
S. Edmund
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby TeaSlinky on Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:22 pm

S. Edmund wrote:
stregascozzese wrote:However, given that T has said that the age of consent in P&A-world is 16, so the girl has to be at least 16.

um, so people don't have sex before they're the age of consent? while I don't think it's right, I've known people who lost it waaay before the age of consent. 12, 13, 14. and for the record, I live in a fairly good area.

I'm pretty sure that one of them (T?) also said (in the questions topic, perhaps?) something to the effect of she's "old enough", which combined with the "age of consent"fact leads me to believe that she is 16 or older...

But the Pikachu thing is still confuzing. I eventually decided that that just means she's kinda dippy (edit: and/or just congratulating herself on how adoreable she is? "OMG this guy wants to have sex with me! I am just soo cute!")... but who knows? Hopefully its precisce meaning will not be important. I am not sure how into a "Rich gets involved in a complicated realtionship with the weird pokemon chick" arc I would be.... O.o
TeaSlinky
Junior Keenspotter

Postby isobel on Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:40 pm

I doubt she's any younger than 15. Probably 16. She's just such a ditz that she looks younger. As racy as this storyline may be, I don't think Rich getting off with a middle-school student would be included. As to the Pikachu, well, it's either a terrible joke ("I choose you, Rich!" or the classic "Gotta catch 'em all," which we see in both Ash and Rich's chippies) or it's proof she's such a dolt that she doesn't really think of anything after sex...if she ever does to begin with.

As to Stan and Michelle, I don't think they're really that far apart from one another in their thoughts. Someone else already said that if both of them could grow up a little they could get along and go into the future together just fine, and I think that's a very shrewd assessment.
isobel
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby missMagdalena on Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:25 pm

Chalk me up as another one who immediately assumed Brock was gay. I think his thoughts are particularly intriguing in light of Stan's... uh... recent thoughts of Rich. In both situations the boy is thinking of another boy while in a sexual situation with a girl, but it's more strongly implied that Brock is gay, in my opinion (in the Stan comic there was some room for interpretation). So... it could be a clue as to what that Stan comic meant.
missMagdalena
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Draggy on Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:21 pm

Really? I thought it was just Brock being self absorbed. Since he and Brandi share a thought bubble.

Brandi is looking at Brock's chest and think of Brock's chest and how awesome it is. Brock is also looking at his own chest and thinking of how aweseome he is. Instead of think about how attractive the girl next to him is.

All I got from that pannel was that Brandi seems to dig guys that either are or present themself as self absorbed.
What if I don't want to tickle my brain?
Draggy
Junior Keenspotter

Postby isobel on Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:20 pm

Why is every male character in this comic automatically a closeted gay? Since Brandi and Brock are sharing a thought bubble, I read this as Brock thinking how wooonderful he is rather than fantasizing about some dude. I mean, I suppose they could both be thinking about some other guy, but what are the odds? Plus the chest bears a suspicious resemblance to Brock's, so...

Although for what it's worth, I think these two are probably the stablest couple in the strip, since they seem to have no illusions about why they're in bed together and what that means for them.
isobel
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby cookievore on Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:43 pm

Because gay is the new black? It's so totally IN it's OUT of the closet. Hur hur :B
cookievore
Junior Keenspotter

Postby stregascozzese on Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:23 am

I'm pretty sure that one of them (T?) also said (in the questions topic, perhaps?) something to the effect of she's "old enough", which combined with the "age of consent"fact leads me to believe that she is 16 or older...

Exactly. Sorry if I didn't spell it out, but I was going by the information that T has given us so far rather than trying to make some kind of social comment. Yes, people have sex while underage. In other words, while they are not "old enough".
stregascozzese
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Trollroot on Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:54 am

Yawnitz wrote:
Trollroot wrote:In other comments, I wish there was more differentiation in the male apperance here. Even Marshall, who is supposed to work out a lot, maybe be older than the others, and has been estimated at 225 lbs of solid muscle, seems to have exactly the same body as all the other males.

There is no way Marshall weighs 225. I would think he weighs more like 160-170. If he weighed 225 just on muscle, he'd look more like Lou Ferrigno.

Wait, this is what we were just talking about, isn't it?

Exactly. And yet the people around him react to him as if they see a completely different Marshall. Apparently, he is big enough to intimidate Rich, who is drawn as the strongest looking guy in the city.

In todays comic (http://www.pennyandaggie.com/), his shoulders are so thin, it'd be worrying on a 10-year old girl. Depending on how tall he is, I could see him weighing in at less than a 100 pounds.

Which is not unusual for a boy that age, of course, but it jars extremely with how he works in the series.

Jabroniville wrote:I honestly don't see THAT much similarity in most of the guys' physiques. Stan is a lot thinner and more slight than any of the other three guys, while Rich has a very standard 'skater boy' build to him, which is kind of tall and not overly muscular (he's been shirtless in the earlier part of this arc, and he definitely doesn't have huge pecs or defined ribs like the Leroy there does). Brock & Leroy are standard "big tough high school boys" from the looks of them (they're apparently nailing two of the top hotties in the school, so that makes perfect sense), so they're drawn bigger and more ripped.

Interesting. I get a very different impression. Every male there has a carbon-copy physique, identical heights, except Rich, who is more heavily muscled and hairier than even the adults.

Jabroniville wrote:Marshall used to be kind of a wisp of a boy, but he's grown pretty built over the years, usually along the same lines as everyone else shifting from the more cartoony 'big head' style in early strips to what we have now. Gisele's stated she's a big fan of Dan DeCarlo's work and he's an influence, so that's probably part of it. You'll note that even Jughead's drawn with abs in Archie Comics.

I'm afraid don't read Archie. And I thought earlier Marshall (http://www.pennyandaggie.com/d/20050105.html) was more mature-looking, more hirstute with hair on his forearms and legs.

Jabroniville wrote:Plus, most of these guys are supposed to give off an attractive or 'in shape' kind of vibe. That leaves VERY little room for variation in men, which is almost universally built and/or ripped in some way. Guys who are thin should have some definition and guys who don't have definition should be big. This isn't like women, where there's a great deal of variance in what's hot (ie. curvy full-breasted Karen, ideal-woman thin-and-busty Meg and Penny, skinny-but-tight Michelle, and more middle of the road types like Aggie & Sarah). So if all these guys are supposed to be attractive (which they are), there's gonna be not too much difference in what their general build is. You're not gonna see a SUPER bony guy getting some from Penny, or a chubby guy from Meg, for example. There are differences, which I pointed out, but they're subtle.

Subtle enough thaty I don't see them at all. Also, as you have pointed out, there are considerable room for difference in male physiques, even if they are all supposed to be totty.

Height is definitely a variable. And just consider the variety seen in sports, where both the lean, long-legged runner, the thicklegged footballer and the weightlifter can be said to have good physiques.

kgirl1992 wrote:That girl is likely underage... and so is Rich. If the legal age is 18 then most (if not, all) of the main cast is underage, seeing that they're supposed to be aboot 16.

The legal age is 16, like most of the west.
Trollroot
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Sebastian on Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:54 am

isobel wrote:Why is every male character in this comic automatically a closeted gay? Since Brandi and Brock are sharing a thought bubble, I read this as Brock thinking how wooonderful he is rather than fantasizing about some dude. I mean, I suppose they could both be thinking about some other guy, but what are the odds? Plus the chest bears a suspicious resemblance to Brock's, so...

Exactly, Brandy is thinking "damn, he is hot!" and he is thinking "damn. I'm hot!" :D
Sebastian
Keenspot Despot

Postby atristain on Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:40 am

Sebastian wrote:
isobel wrote:Why is every male character in this comic automatically a closeted gay? Since Brandi and Brock are sharing a thought bubble, I read this as Brock thinking how wooonderful he is rather than fantasizing about some dude. I mean, I suppose they could both be thinking about some other guy, but what are the odds? Plus the chest bears a suspicious resemblance to Brock's, so...

Exactly, Brandy is thinking "damn, he is hot!" and he is thinking "damn. I'm hot!" :D

Unless both of them are thinking in Stan's chest... :x (j/k)
The sound of rolling dice
To me is music in the air!
'Cause I'm a gamblin' Boogie Man
Although I don't play fair!
atristain
Keenspot Despot

Postby TeaSlinky on Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:35 am

Trollroot wrote:
In todays comic (http://www.pennyandaggie.com/), his shoulders are so thin, it'd be worrying on a 10-year old girl. Depending on how tall he is, I could see him weighing in at less than a 100 pounds.

I don't know about that. My boyfriend is not quite 6' tall and extremely skinny, and he's still around 150lbs. Now imagine if he were perhaps a little bit taller, and not quite so skinny due entirely to muscle, I could see him being close to 200lbs (though yeah, 225 seems a bit high to me, it's kind of hard to judge in a comic, especially since muscle weighs more than fat, so a really in-shape skinny guy could wigh more than a pudgy guy of roughly the same size).

and less than 100? Eh... I have a 5' tall girlfriend who wears size zero jeans and she weighs 100 lbs. I don't think marshall comes off as quite that tiny...
TeaSlinky
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Yawnitz on Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:11 am

There's no way Marshall weighs more than 175 pounds. I am mostly flab now, but in my prime, I weighed about 185-190, and am just shy of 6 feet. I had much more pronounced muscles than Marshall. My build is easily bigger. I could eat that kid for breakfast, just on size.

It depends largely on how a person uses muscles for the way they develop. Marshall is clearly more of a low-weight, extremely-high rep sort of guy. This favors longer, more slender muscles that favor flexibility and stamina over brute strength. He is modelled after a person whose main focus for working out is to support a high-endurance kind of workout, such as running 5 or more miles a day at a fast clip. My guess is he's a marathon or triathlon type, rather than the kind of person who likes to bulk up.

Have you ever seen Arnold Schwarzenneger run more than a little bit at a time? The most I've ever seen him run was in Running Man, and that wasn't a very impressive show for running. The most he ran was in that scene he was sprinting from the prison, which lasted seconds.

I could be wrong, but my impression is weight trainers who run won't bulk up as easily as someone who doesn't. The human body seems to favor being aerobically active rather than anaerobically impressive. We may not move as fast as the more celebrated runners in the animal kingdom, but our design leans most towards that end.
Yes, I do think skunks are cute.
Yawnitz
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ria on Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:16 pm

My fiance is only an inch taller than me, skinnyashell and "plateaued" at 140 when he played football -- usually stays around 120. I couldn't see a guy who works out weighing less than 100 unless he was super-short :)
ria
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby missMagdalena on Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:25 am

For the record, I don't think every male character in this comic is automatically gay. I definitely don't think Marshall is, and I'm reserving judgment on Stan but I doubt he is either. It just happened to be that my interpretation of the strip when I first read it was that they were both thinking about a guy better-looking than Brock - like Samantha fantasizing about Fifty Cent a few comics ago. When I heard people assuming that Brock was thinking about himself I went back and looked at it again, and the fact that the thought bubble was just a chest clinched it for me. I think if it was meant to be Brock, they would have shown Brock. Instead, Brandi and Brock are both thinking about some anonymous hot guy.
missMagdalena
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby isobel on Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:39 pm

I think I'm basing my "Brock is a narcissist" interpretation on a couple things. First, the odds that these two people are fantasizing about the same guy are not good, unless of course we're seeing what's left of a threesome (Which I doubt, but hey, I could be wrong). Second, Brock's chest (which bears a suspicious resemblance to the chest in the bubble) is exactly what's in their respective lines of sight. All Brandi can see as she's cuddled up to him is his chest, and all Brock can see as he looks down is his own chest. They're literally seeing the same thing, and reflecting on it in a similar "Oh, how pretty" way.

However, I am not omnipotent, and freely admit I may be horribly wrong. XD
isobel
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby TeaSlinky on Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:09 pm

isobel wrote:I think I'm basing my "Brock is a narcissist" interpretation on a couple things. First, the odds that these two people are fantasizing about the same guy are not good, unless of course we're seeing what's left of a threesome (Which I doubt, but hey, I could be wrong). Second, Brock's chest (which bears a suspicious resemblance to the chest in the bubble) is exactly what's in their respective lines of sight. All Brandi can see as she's cuddled up to him is his chest, and all Brock can see as he looks down is his own chest. They're literally seeing the same thing, and reflecting on it in a similar "Oh, how pretty" way.

However, I am not omnipotent, and freely admit I may be horribly wrong. XD

I'm with you. :P

I don't think that to show they are both thinking of Brock instead of some nameless fantasy guy that they need to show Brock in his entirety. Especially since I think the point is that Brandi loves him for his broad muscular chest not his narcisistic a/o nonexistant personality, and he is in love with himself and his broad muscular chest that bags him hot chicks.
TeaSlinky
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Yawnitz on Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:20 pm

Brock is sooooo thinking, "I sank your battleship!"
Yes, I do think skunks are cute.
Yawnitz
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby atristain on Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:33 pm

isobel wrote:All Brandi can see as she's cuddled up to him is his chest, and all Brock can see as he looks down is his own chest. They're literally seeing the same thing, and reflecting on it in a similar "Oh, how pretty" way.

Unless he has a mirror attached to the ceiling...
The sound of rolling dice
To me is music in the air!
'Cause I'm a gamblin' Boogie Man
Although I don't play fair!
atristain
Keenspot Despot

Postby Ostracee on Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:35 pm

"It was one wild night of passion."
"And yet you don't remember what she looks like."
"I like to look at myself in the mirror."
"That would be disgusting if you'd actually slept with her, which I don't think you did."
"I did, and it was disgusting."
"He didn't, but it would have been."
Ostracee
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kina on Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:34 pm

Did anyone else see that it was in an alley? I see an alley.

Fire escape ladder, brick wall, apparently concrete ground?
/$.02
Kina
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Tyris on Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:15 am

I interpreted that as "school gym", but "alley" works.
You can't look dignified when you're having fun.
IC location: wouldn't you like to know? Actually, we'd like to know as well, The Crossover Wars have left us disoriented.
A Fan wrote:Logical, rational universes are distinctly less fun and sexy-awesome than ones with some illogic and irrationality.
Tyris
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Previous

Return to Penny and Aggie