[1/11/06] Rich + underage?

The teenage years. Friendships, crushes, growth... and hating. Lots of hating.

Moderators: Gisele Lagace, TCampbell

Forum rules
Penny and Aggie moved to http://www.pennyandaggie.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=1

[1/11/06] Rich + underage?

Postby Trollroot on Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:14 am

I don't know if I'm reading it wrong, but that girl with her trousers at half mast just screams "underage" to me. :(

In other comments, I wish there was more differentiation in the male apperance here. Even Marshall, who is supposed to work out a lot, maybe be older than the others, and has been estimated at 225 lbs of solid muscle, seems to have exactly the same body as all the other males.

High school male dominance displays lose a lot when everyone is the same size.
Trollroot
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Raitoo on Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:20 am

Oh, Michelle, honey. :(

Also, yeah, I'd like to know what's going on with that girl in the third panel. I mean, she can't be THAT young if she has developed breasts, but... :-|
Raitoo
Junior Keenspotter

Postby ria on Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:28 am

About the only Cosmo snippet I can ever remember is something along the lines of:

If you ask a man what he's thinking about and he says "pizza," you can't ask him whether it's thin-crust or what sort of toppings are on it, or whether it's a slice or a pie. All he's thinking is "pizza," and you just have to learn to leave it at that.

... yeah, thanks, Cosmo, for your insight into the workings of the male brain :roll: but that's what the last panel reminded me of.
ria
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby taotu on Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:34 am

Raitoo wrote:Oh, Michelle, honey. :(

Seconded.

Yeeah... somehow thinking of Pikachu... I dunno, she could be a really fluffy, spazzy 15 or 16 year-old. She does have boobs, after all.

Leroy is staring so directly at Meg's boobs I actually laughed out loud.
taotu
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Zombielicious on Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:53 am

Third panel... Are they in a gym? ...and is she taking her pants of? :shifty:

About the Pikachu-thing I think it's just something to show that she's dumb as a rock, or something. Very na
Devouring brains since 1984. Braaaaains! Yummy!
Zombielicious
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Fen on Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:57 am

Over here calling someone a pokemon means that they're either extremely lame and/or childish, either posers.
I think the pikachu means that she's a brainless groupie flake.
How ironic in the Stan+Michelle situation. She wanted a one-night-stand, he wanted a relationship. But now...
I will never understand you. When will I stop trying?
Fen
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Trollroot on Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:05 am

I did wonder about it being in a gym myself. Richs' jacket could be some kind of coach thing?

But given the other panels of the strip, and the positioning of her trousers, the situation definitly seems sexual. If he is coaching or something, that just makes it worse.

Looking at her I get the "underage" vibe (not even jailbait) because of:

Her small stature, her ponytails, the childish facial expression, the narrow hips, and the pokemon. Any one would be fine, but all together builds a strong case.
Oh, and is she wearing a school rucksack?

The breasts could be fairly small, we are seeing them at an angle with her bent forwards a little. If shes an early developer, she could be 12.
Trollroot
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Jabroniville on Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:14 am

I honestly don't see THAT much similarity in most of the guys' physiques. Stan is a lot thinner and more slight than any of the other three guys, while Rich has a very standard 'skater boy' build to him, which is kind of tall and not overly muscular (he's been shirtless in the earlier part of this arc, and he definitely doesn't have huge pecs or defined ribs like the Leroy there does). Brock & Leroy are standard "big tough high school boys" from the looks of them (they're apparently nailing two of the top hotties in the school, so that makes perfect sense), so they're drawn bigger and more ripped.

Marshall used to be kind of a wisp of a boy, but he's grown pretty built over the years, usually along the same lines as everyone else shifting from the more cartoony 'big head' style in early strips to what we have now. Gisele's stated she's a big fan of Dan DeCarlo's work and he's an influence, so that's probably part of it. You'll note that even Jughead's drawn with abs in Archie Comics.

Plus, most of these guys are supposed to give off an attractive or 'in shape' kind of vibe. That leaves VERY little room for variation in men, which is almost universally built and/or ripped in some way. Guys who are thin should have some definition and guys who don't have definition should be big. This isn't like women, where there's a great deal of variance in what's hot (ie. curvy full-breasted Karen, ideal-woman thin-and-busty Meg and Penny, skinny-but-tight Michelle, and more middle of the road types like Aggie & Sarah). So if all these guys are supposed to be attractive (which they are), there's gonna be not too much difference in what their general build is. You're not gonna see a SUPER bony guy getting some from Penny, or a chubby guy from Meg, for example. There are differences, which I pointed out, but they're subtle.

This strip actually has very little in the way of unattractive males so far (makes sense, given that the focus is two girls and their relationships). Closest we seem to have come are older people and Duane (who's still considered cute by most of the girls). So that's probably what you're most picking up on.
Jabroniville
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Silverblue on Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:47 am

I'm not completely sure, since if they're all thinking about the person they're with (and everyone but Pokemon girl and maybe Michelle seems to be). Maybe she sees Rich as the brainless cute pokemon dude. Electrifying but childish?

In any case, Brock's fantasy is the most amusing by far. He needs a portrait of himself to worship...
Silverblue
Junior Keenspotter

Postby ria on Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:10 am

Uh, maybe I've just run in different internet circles than y'all, but when I saw Pikachu my immediate thought was "Ew. Furry."

Granted, she looks more the Neopets sort, and the grin and the Pokemon don't exactly make sense in my brain with the half-mast pants. And Rich looks entirely uninterested, in which case why is he even there, and why is she grinning so big?, which just throws that panel even more out of whack for me. Augh, brain! *'splode*
ria
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Zombielicious on Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:24 am

ria wrote:Uh, maybe I've just run in different internet circles than y'all, but when I saw Pikachu my immediate thought was "Ew. Furry."

HAHA :lol:
That comment made my day, thank you :D
Devouring brains since 1984. Braaaaains! Yummy!
Zombielicious
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby isobel on Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:35 am

I thought the Pikachu was a "Gotta catch 'em all" reference, implying that this girl is a little promiscuous and likes to acquire all the good-looking boys she can. But I may be overanalyzing here. As for Stan and Michelle, well, I hope this fades, and I think it will. A lot of young girls dream about marriage and get all gooey over every guy they date. She'll learn, and I think Stan could be good for her in a lot of ways.
isobel
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby atristain on Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:41 am

This comment:
ria wrote:Uh, maybe I've just run in different internet circles than y'all, but when I saw Pikachu my immediate thought was "Ew. Furry."

and this:
isobel wrote:I thought the Pikachu was a "Gotta catch 'em all" reference...

are pure gold! :lol:

Well I read some "furry" comics (Jack included) but the first idead never crossed my mind. Looks like Richie boy is playing Katamari Damacy. (trying to fill a void with whatever crosses his path) Anyway, Rich has issues... Looks like he's turning himself into that guy from the 'Kids' movie, where the main guy had deflowered every girl in his path.

For some odd reason, I see the 'Pokemon girl' pulling her pants on, and not taking them off... One more evidence that there's no two people that look at the same image way.

Like the Meg panel. He sees her as his Queen and she thinks of him as a Pet or Boy Toy.

And the real fun comes when you look at the panel featuring Brandy and Brock. Poor guy, must need to have a body-size mirror in order to excite himself... Unless, that's not his chest... :shifty:

Anyway: I wonder inf Friday's strip will be the same kind of strip, featuring the Omegas (inc. Duane) :smug:

EDIT: Oh yeah! I forgot: Run Stan! Run! :wink:
The sound of rolling dice
To me is music in the air!
'Cause I'm a gamblin' Boogie Man
Although I don't play fair!
atristain
Keenspot Despot

Postby SAGG on Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:47 am

Hm. Rich seems to still have the hots for Penny, yet have we seen her think about Rich ever since? :-? If not, then wouldn't this mean she won the "death struggle" between the two? :lol:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Something strange...

Postby Sassy-fras on Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:19 am

Isn't it ironic....there's a Pokemon and a guy named Brock? Brock being in the show Pokemon, constatnly chasing women and thinking he's hot stuff? *said musically* Irony.

Aside from that....

atristain
Anyway: I wonder inf Friday's strip will be the same kind of strip, featuring the Omegas (inc. Duane) :smug:

I'm hoping that happens. I wanna see a little more of the background characters.
Marco: Maybe if you showed Dr. Zaius the proper respect, Dr. Zaius would stop showing you the POO! -Josie and the Pussycats-
Sassy-fras
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby StarKruzr on Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:48 am

Raitoo wrote:Oh, Michelle, honey. :(

I didn't think it was that bad, actually. Stan is obviously very happy, and so is Michelle. Michelle is just more specific about it because she's one of those wedding-planning girls.

If you think about it, they're actually not missing each other *that* much. Stan would just have to grow up a bit and come to appreciate commitment, and Michelle would just have to grow up a bit and understand that imposing expectations on things is not the best way to get your desired results.
~'Kruzr, CI

FLEET: For Honor, Courage, and Really Big Guns.

Urban's Quills - Stay Sharp
StarKruzr
Keenspot Despot

Postby snowp14 on Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:33 am

Hm. Rich seems to still have the hots for Penny, yet have we seen her think about Rich ever since? If not, then wouldn't this mean she won the "death struggle" between the two?

Does this count? http://www.pennyandaggie.com/d/20060117.html
snowp14
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: [1/11/06] Rich + underage?

Postby Maude on Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:15 pm

Trollroot wrote:I don't know if I'm reading it wrong, but that girl with her trousers at half mast just screams "underage" to me. :(

Crazy! Something about this whole comic screams "underage" to me.

That girl is likely underage... and so is Rich. If the legal age is 18 then most (if not, all) of the main cast is underage, seeing that they're supposed to be aboot 16. So just relaaaaaaax, guuuuuuy! He's only taken advantage of a prepubescent 12 year old. No biggie. XP

Now that that's outta the way, I still do find that third panel (like most of y'all) fairly creepy. Has anyone here seen the movie Kids? Yeah, Rich is kinda reminding me of Telly right now... sans the HIV. Wheee. O_o
Maude
Junior Keenspotter

Postby S. Edmund on Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:29 pm

yeah, but they're all underaged.

well, if you're going by 18. but since it seems to going by 16 in here, then 14 or 15 isn't that much of stretch. she doesn't look it, but a lot of scene kids and preppy kids talk about liking pokemon now because it's supposedly ironic. but she looked more of the greendaylovin' groupie flake to me. it doesn't matter, we don't even know her name.

did anybody else first see leroy as frowning, like he hated being used? I don't know, it took me a while to see the smile, if it's even a smile. and I took that as Brock is gay, but I guess it's his chest...

the guys in this comic use to really bother me. all of them looked the same bodywise, except for rich who had this crazy...top-built triangle and way too muscely look. most skaters I've ever seena nd known are lanky and skinny or average and slightly chubby. not built like a quarterback-in-a-can. but, like someone said, the've gotten a lot better. it's not like you have much choice with attractive guys.
S. Edmund
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby atristain on Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:13 pm

S. Edmund wrote:the guys in this comic use to really bother me. all of them looked the same bodywise, except for rich who had this crazy...top-built triangle and way too muscely look. most skaters I've ever seena nd known are lanky and skinny or average and slightly chubby. not built like a quarterback-in-a-can. but, like someone said, the've gotten a lot better. it's not like you have much choice with attractive guys.

Perhaps all of their parents came from Eternia. :wink:

And if you got what I meant, yep: you're old like me.
The sound of rolling dice
To me is music in the air!
'Cause I'm a gamblin' Boogie Man
Although I don't play fair!
atristain
Keenspot Despot

Postby Beanie on Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:59 pm

atristain wrote:Perhaps all of their parents came from Eternia. :wink:

*DIES*
Oh crap, I'm old.
And I also found that HIGHLY amusing, so I bet that means I'm a dork too. x_x

also,
Isn't it ironic....there's a Pokemon and a guy named Brock?

I am SO glad I'm not the only one to see that and go "...huh!"

Anyway, we've established that "legal age" as far as this comic goes is 17.
http://www.pennyandaggie.com/d/20060804.html
It was Karen's 17th birthday.
Beanie
Junior Keenspotter

Postby S. Edmund on Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:25 pm

well, considering He-Man still ran on cartoon network last I checked, you aren't giving that much away...
S. Edmund
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby AstralFireIX on Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:29 pm

Yeah, you're forgetting the He-Man remake, which is like 500x better than the original.

And I don't know how to take the Pikachu balloon other than "yay! Pikachu! I like Pikachu!"

I was more amused by the first panel, with Meg and Leroy.
AstralFireIX
Junior Keenspotter

Postby iRobot on Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:33 pm

atristain wrote:
S. Edmund wrote:the guys in this comic use to really bother me. all of them looked the same bodywise, except for rich who had this crazy...top-built triangle and way too muscely look. most skaters I've ever seena nd known are lanky and skinny or average and slightly chubby. not built like a quarterback-in-a-can. but, like someone said, the've gotten a lot better. it's not like you have much choice with attractive guys.

Perhaps all of their parents came from Eternia. :wink:

By the power of.... *oh, nevermind*
Kyn
-----
No, if I were really a jerk, my sig would contain lots of pictures, tired quotes, insipid "wisdom," brainless "wit," and/or lines of text art. And I would be deluded enough to somehow think that any of that was actually cool.
iRobot
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: [1/11/06] Rich + underage?

Postby kgirl1992 on Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:19 pm

[quote="Maude"][quote="Trollroot"]I don't know if I'm reading it wrong, but that girl with her trousers at half mast just screams "underage" to me. :( [/quote]

Crazy! Something about this whole comic screams "underage" to [i]me[/i].

That girl is likely underage... and so is Rich. If the legal age is 18 then most (if not, all) of the main cast is underage, seeing that they're supposed to be aboot 16. So just relaaaaaaax, guuuuuuy! He's only taken advantage of a prepubescent 12 year old. No biggie. XP

Now that that's outta the way, I still do find that third panel (like most of y'all) fairly creepy. Has anyone here seen the movie Kids? Yeah, Rich is kinda reminding me of Telly right now... sans the HIV. Wheee. O_o[/quote]

not all of them karen is 18 we saw her b-day
We Are Mayhem and We Will Never Die!
My wiki page.
Kum-El wrote: It is a belief among certain portions of the student body at their school (and their fellow half-bloods) that the Zeus brothers are gay, and that the only reason Hermes hasn't come out of the closet is that Aaron's also in there and has a deathgrip on the doorknob.

http://formspring.me/kgirl1992
kgirl1992
Keenspot Juggernaut

Next

Return to Penny and Aggie