Best rumour EVER!

The teenage years. Friendships, crushes, growth... and hating. Lots of hating.

Moderators: Gisele Lagace, TCampbell

Forum rules
Penny and Aggie moved to http://www.pennyandaggie.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=1

Best rumour EVER!

Postby Zombielicious on Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:15 am

This is just too cute!
I really can't make up my mind about Stan. Right now I feel nothing but sweet emotions for that little fella. He's sooo darling! He and Michelle is such a cute couple right now :)
Devouring brains since 1984. Braaaaains! Yummy!
Zombielicious
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Pope William T Wodium on Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:40 am

I get the feeling that the truth about Stan's reputation as a ladies' man is about to come out - whatever that truth may be.
Pope William T Wodium, Lord of Odium, Poo-Bah of Podium, Sultan of Sodium, Prince of Rhodium, and the Eldest of that Name
-><-
As a Pope, I reserve the right to invoke infallibility at any time, including retroactively.
Pope William T Wodium
Keenspot Despot

Postby StarKruzr on Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:23 am

I wonder if he actually SAID "best rumor ever" or was just thinking it.
~'Kruzr, CI

FLEET: For Honor, Courage, and Really Big Guns.

Urban's Quills - Stay Sharp
StarKruzr
Keenspot Despot

Postby Zombielicious on Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:53 am

StarKruzr wrote:I wonder if he actually SAID "best rumor ever" or was just thinking it.

I think and hope that he actually said it!
Zombielicious
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby StarKruzr on Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:32 am

Zombielicious wrote:
StarKruzr wrote:I wonder if he actually SAID "best rumor ever" or was just thinking it.

I think and hope that he actually said it!

I dunno. Is it a little bit insensitive with her lying right there next to him?
Well, regardless. I hope this goes somewhere. I think the two of them are adorable together.
~'Kruzr, CI

FLEET: For Honor, Courage, and Really Big Guns.

Urban's Quills - Stay Sharp
StarKruzr
Keenspot Despot

Postby Maude on Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:44 am

Does anyone else think it's just sweet that they're actually TALKING after doing... whatever them crazy kids do? I mean, now it seems more than just a "Wham, bam, thank you, ma'am!" Stan is so cute! ^_^

Oh, but Michelle not liking forward guys? WHATEVAH! She's like... the horniest horn dog at the ball park. Don't kid yourself, honey.
Maude
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Gisele Lagace on Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:53 am

He said it :)
Gisele Lagace
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Zombielicious on Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:13 am

Gisele Lagace wrote:He said it :)

Yay! :D
Zombielicious
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tsarevna_Erin on Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:37 am

Meh.

I don't like Michelle. I don't like Stan. Still, I don't like Aggie or Penny, either, and their arcs interest me because they can go in so many directions. I'd be interested in Stan and Michelle if I could see this story playing out in something other than syncopated cliche.

Brandi warned Michelle not to "fall in love" with Stan, so of course she's going to. :roll:

But so what? What's the endgame? It'd be boring if Stan fell for her, too. There's no driving drama in that, certainly not enough to devote part of future story arcs. Seeing Michelle's head disappear off-panel was enough one time, thanks.

Will Stan profess love for Rich? Will Stan dump her for the next hottie? Will Stan believe that his destiny is to be the gentle deflowering of willing virgins everywhere? All dull.

Yes, they are cute. Yes, Stan appears less like a tool than usual. But I find nothing interesting, either in actuality or potentially, in two second bananas getting together. :-|
Tsarevna_Erin
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby cookievore on Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:18 am

Yay for you?

I like Stan, he amuses me with his Stan-ness. I say the man's really a closet transsexual, he just needs some help with his make-up. In many cases the manliest horndogs or manning tend to be the ones that wish to be girls :wink: (well, not really. Just that one lady on the radio. Ah whatever, Stan being transsexuals would be the biggest and best loop ever :D Next to, uh... no more cliffhangers :D Yes! That! Everyone *expects* the cliffhangers by now, so it'd be a loop if there was none!)

(And now I shall stop babbling between parenthesis. Ta!)
cookievore
Junior Keenspotter

Postby atristain on Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:58 am

"Brandi said you were gifted"? What did she expected? That's another proof that nothing satisfies a woman, ever.

Also that's another evidence of what Pron Movies are doing to our young minds. 'Chelle dear, everyday guys are not as 'gifted' as you see in those movies.

Gis: loved how you drew Michelle upper and lower cleavage. :evilgrin:

I would have love a girl like Brandi, spreading rumors about my 'giftedness' when I was in HS, too...
The sound of rolling dice
To me is music in the air!
'Cause I'm a gamblin' Boogie Man
Although I don't play fair!
atristain
Keenspot Despot

....awesomeness....

Postby Sassy-fras on Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:25 am

atristain
I would have love a girl like Brandi, spreading rumors about my 'giftedness' when I was in HS, too...

That's an awesome post right there.
Marco: Maybe if you showed Dr. Zaius the proper respect, Dr. Zaius would stop showing you the POO! -Josie and the Pussycats-
Sassy-fras
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby isobel on Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:44 am

Not to knock on what you think at all, Tsarevna, but I think these two could be a lot more interesting than anyone gives them credit for. Being second bananas seems to have made them a lot more capable than their glitzy "star" friends, and while they both have issues about adequacy and insecurity, they both seem to be self-aware and dealing with them as best any 16-year-old can. The only one we've seen who's more mature is Katy-Ann (That strip after Penny broke it off with Duane is still one of my favorites; she had such amazing perspective on the whole thing), and honestly I think it would be great to have a functional, healthy relationship in the comic. "Stable" doesn't have to mean "boring," and if nothing else they'd provide a nice contrast to all the squawking, awkward, hormone-based, sky-is-falling teen drama we see in every other relationship (Even Nick and Charisma's, at least sometimes). So far, I think anyone turning out "normal," whatever that is, would be an exception to the rest of the comic, and I doubt they'd be the focus of anything major, just sort of the constant and capable people in the background like they've always been. Also, I'd feel bad writing them off as boring, because that's what everyone in the comic has done, probably since they were children, and often there's a lot lurking below the surface of the sidekicks.

But that's just my take on it, and I don't think you're being [whatever the insult do jour is] for thinking it. I just have an opposite point of view and thought I'd throw it out there. For all I know you're totally right and they'll both fade into the background because they really are dull. :)
isobel
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby kgirl1992 on Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:25 am

stan and shell are so cute together i cant wate for there next comic
We Are Mayhem and We Will Never Die!
My wiki page.
Kum-El wrote: It is a belief among certain portions of the student body at their school (and their fellow half-bloods) that the Zeus brothers are gay, and that the only reason Hermes hasn't come out of the closet is that Aaron's also in there and has a deathgrip on the doorknob.

http://formspring.me/kgirl1992
kgirl1992
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby TehDUDE on Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:31 am

Tsarevna_Erin wrote:Meh.

I don't like Michelle. I don't like Stan. Still, I don't like Aggie or Penny, either, and their arcs interest me because they can go in so many directions. I'd be interested in Stan and Michelle if I could see this story playing out in something other than syncopated cliche.

THEN WHY THE HELL ARE YOU EVEN READING THE COMIC YOU DUMBASS BITCH. GO TAKE A CHILL PILL AND MASTURBATE. YOU'LL FEEL BETTER.
I am the greatest, and that's the bottom line.
TehDUDE
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tsarevna_Erin on Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:56 am

isobel wrote:Not to knock on what you think at all, Tsarevna, but I think these two could be a lot more interesting than anyone gives them credit for. Being second bananas seems to have made them a lot more capable than their glitzy "star" friends, and while they both have issues about adequacy and insecurity, they both seem to be self-aware and dealing with them as best any 16-year-old can.

That's sort of my issue. Separately, Stan and Michelle have a lot of potential. I don't really like either of them as characters, but I am interested in just WHY Michelle is so pissed at her father, and whether her thinness is just a matter of course or indicative of something going on at home. Stan - is he bi? Is he gay? Does he have the hots for Rich or is it a mancrush? These are all compelling parts of their personalities, and I just see all that potential getting lost if they hook up. As dysfunctional as Marshall and Karen are, the things that make their personalities so interesting is not lost in their pairing. Karen's insecurities and Marshall's ... weirdness are highlighted in their coupledom. With Michelle and Stan, I don't see that potential. They're just two pretty people having sex.

... and honestly I think it would be great to have a functional, healthy relationship in the comic. "Stable" doesn't have to mean "boring," and if nothing else they'd provide a nice contrast to all the squawking, awkward, hormone-based, sky-is-falling teen drama we see in every other relationship (Even Nick and Charisma's, at least sometimes). So far, I think anyone turning out "normal," whatever that is, would be an exception to the rest of the comic, and I doubt they'd be the focus of anything major, just sort of the constant and capable people in the background like they've always been.

That is a good point. Too much dysfunction can be boring, too, and maybe this could be a nice counterpoint to all the craziness happening with all the other couples. My only thing is that I'd be disappointed if the Rich-thing with Stan or the home problems-thing with Michelle disappeared completely just to give this strip a cutesy couple. But it's just my opinion. I honestly couldn't tell you what's going on with the Nick and Charisma arc because I don't really care. If the Stan/Michelle arc isn't to my liking, I simply won't read it.
Tsarevna_Erin
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Gisele Lagace on Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:56 am

TehDude:

Ouch. Breathe in, Breathe out. Reeelax ;)
Gisele Lagace
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tsarevna_Erin on Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:59 am

Gisele Lagace wrote:Ouch. Breathe in, Breathe out. Reeelax ;)

Is this usually how dissenting views are treated for your wonderful webcomic? If the deal is that you can't voice an opinion without morons calling you out of your name, then that's pretty sad.
Tsarevna_Erin
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Gisele Lagace on Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:02 am

Tsarevna_Erin wrote:
Gisele Lagace wrote:Ouch. Breathe in, Breathe out. Reeelax ;)

Is this usually how dissenting views are treated for your wonderful webcomic? If the deal is that you can't voice an opinion without morons calling you out of your name, then that's pretty sad.

I was talkin' to tehDude.
Gisele Lagace
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby missMagdalena on Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:46 pm

Tsarevna_Erin wrote:
isobel wrote:Not to knock on what you think at all, Tsarevna, but I think these two could be a lot more interesting than anyone gives them credit for. Being second bananas seems to have made them a lot more capable than their glitzy "star" friends, and while they both have issues about adequacy and insecurity, they both seem to be self-aware and dealing with them as best any 16-year-old can.

That's sort of my issue. Separately, Stan and Michelle have a lot of potential. I don't really like either of them as characters, but I am interested in just WHY Michelle is so pissed at her father, and whether her thinness is just a matter of course or indicative of something going on at home. Stan - is he bi? Is he gay? Does he have the hots for Rich or is it a mancrush? These are all compelling parts of their personalities, and I just see all that potential getting lost if they hook up. As dysfunctional as Marshall and Karen are, the things that make their personalities so interesting is not lost in their pairing. Karen's insecurities and Marshall's ... weirdness are highlighted in their coupledom. With Michelle and Stan, I don't see that potential. They're just two pretty people having sex.

What makes you think that the same level of interesting that has been achieved by Marshall and Karen is impossible in this situation? As you've pointed out, Michelle and Stan both have deeper issues that we've hardly begun to scratch. I think a relationship could help bring those issues to the surface, plus it would focus more attention on the two of them, so we'd learn much more. It could be very compelling.
missMagdalena
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tarlia on Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:03 pm

missMagdalena wrote:What makes you think that the same level of interesting that has been achieved by Marshall and Karen is impossible in this situation? As you've pointed out, Michelle and Stan both have deeper issues that we've hardly begun to scratch. I think a relationship could help bring those issues to the surface, plus it would focus more attention on the two of them, so we'd learn much more. It could be very compelling.

Aye. Especially if Stan actually is gay or bi or something, there could be all sorts of DRAMA.
Tarlia
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tsarevna_Erin on Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:00 pm

missMagdalena wrote:What makes you think that the same level of interesting that has been achieved by Marshall and Karen is impossible in this situation? As you've pointed out, Michelle and Stan both have deeper issues that we've hardly begun to scratch. I think a relationship could help bring those issues to the surface, plus it would focus more attention on the two of them, so we'd learn much more. It could be very compelling.

It could be. But it just seems to me that this isn't really indicating that it will be. Brandi's "don't fall in love" was a huge anvil. And that's fine - Michelle seems susceptible to falling for guys who may or may not be good for her, so no problems there. But Stan ... I don't know. This isn't me saying that he doesn't "deserve" to fall in love or anything or that he's not good enough to have a girlfriend. It's just that we have a carrot dangled in front of us as far as the "Rich" daydream, his past jerkitude, and other possible self-esteem issues, and now he's being cuddly and afterglowy with Michelle, who probably wouldn't have even been on his radar if she hadn't been "browsed" by Rich.

Outside of the Rich "daydream," which was ambiguous, at best, Michelle and Stan got the most "normal" and "romantic" story in this arc - Penny and Rich just talked, after a few false starts, and Marshall and Karen ... eek - but Michelle and Stan got to get down, and now they're cuddling and talking. This just seems indicative of a reprise of the uber-romantic "Weights" arc, just with different characters and a different outcome, maybe.

Again, it's just my own opinion - I'm not saying that Michelle should be taken out by a hitman or anything or that a longterm Stan and Michelle thing would somehow negate the greatness of the strip . I just think that separately, there are great stories for both these characters. I would rather, if they are going to be a couple, see them work through some of those issues, rather than to have to look forward to them cuddling and be cuddling and kissyface all the time, and it just appears that the setup is for them to be hugely romantic teen couple of the strip, which I, personally, would find boring.
Tsarevna_Erin
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby MRodriguez on Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:47 pm

But there WAS the Rich daydream, and it doesn't seem to me like something Giselle and T would throw in there to be random. It's too big and has too much potential.

You're making no sense, talking about us having a carrot dangled in front of us (which suggests something interesting and exciting is happening) and then talking about the whole thing being boring and cliche and going no where.

Oh, and listen to tehDude's advice. He was a little more rude than he should have been, but if you really dislike everyone so much, why not go read Something Positive or something?
MRodriguez
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tsarevna_Erin on Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:44 pm

MRodriguez wrote:But there WAS the Rich daydream, and it doesn't seem to me like something Giselle and T would throw in there to be random. It's too big and has too much potential.

Agreed. I don't want to see it dropped, either. But they now seem to be veering away from that, by talking about Brandi's words and how many times Michelle has or hasn't been hit on. Maybe this will circle back to Stan's Rich daydream. I don't know. I don't see how he could conceivably work Rich into the conversation unless he asks Michelle about her flirtation with him. Maybe that is where he was going, but got sidetracked by the Brandi thing.

You're making no sense, talking about us having a carrot dangled in front of us (which suggests something interesting and exciting is happening) and then talking about the whole thing being boring and cliche and going no where.

No, what I SAID was that it seems to be set up for Michelle and Stan to become some great romantic story, and I would find that to be boring, since it has already been established that both Stan and Michelle have some pretty screwed-up issues that have not been explored. It's been months since the arc that brought Michelle back from her aborted SoCal move. We know she hates her dad and that's she thin, possibly abnormally so, but we don't know why. Likewise, we know that Stan has some "thing" about Rich, but we don't know what. I just would hate to see a romantic pairing derail or completely disregard that character development. It wouldn't make sense to me. But please not the word "seems," as in, at this point, this is what I THINK may happen. I am not saying that it IS boring, just that if it goes in certain directions, I - just me, mind, I'm speaking for MYSELF - would find it boring.

Oh, and listen to tehDude's advice. He was a little more rude than he should have been, but if you really dislike everyone so much, why not go read Something Positive or something?

This guy, whom I don't even know, called me a stupid bitch. That's "a little more rude than he should have been"? Charming.

I'm a grown-ass woman and I can read and give my opinion on whatever the hell I want. I like the strip, and it wasn't my belief that in order to be able to voice an OPINION, I have to believe that everyone is OMGSOAWESOME!!!!111one

If my OPINIONS anger you so much, why don't YOU just respond only to people who agree with you?
Tsarevna_Erin
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ugly Hamster on Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:54 pm

Meh, I still think you owe Gisele an apology.

You're also acting like we're all out to get you. ;)
Ugly Hamster
Keenspotter Supreme

Next

Return to Penny and Aggie