[10/16] What they really, really want....

The teenage years. Friendships, crushes, growth... and hating. Lots of hating.

Moderators: Gisele Lagace, TCampbell

Forum rules
Penny and Aggie moved to http://www.pennyandaggie.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=1

Postby Grizkey on Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:08 pm

did anyone else notice that sarah seems to be nekkid, under sheets, presumably on a bed?
With a magazine of dubious contents no less :wink:

Maybe that's why she seems so puzzled about "Lindsay?"
Cause maybe she's petting the kitty (excuse the term please) and
gettin unsual thoughts popping into her noggin about cetain hot female celebs,
rather than hot anonymous guys in a playgirl-esque book.

My $0.02 :roll:
Grizkey
Junior Keenspotter

Postby badkittyface on Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:33 pm

i'm going to say right now that it sucks when you lose someone and want to talk about it, because part of you feels guilty for even bringing it up, but part of you just wants people to GET IT, even though they'll never really GET IT unless it happens to them.

my father died very suddenly and unexpectedly 15 years ago, when i was 14 and just about to start high school. i held his hand and i heard his last words. worst day of my life. i don't know about anyone else who may have experienced the death of a parent, but it continues to shape who i am today.

it just made the whole teenage figure-yourself-out thing that much more difficult for me. i did love my father dearly and looked up to him, so abruptly losing one of my role models (and the more disciplinary parent) left me feeling pretty stranded and unsure of myself.

some of the things that Aggie goes through i find myself smiling at, if somewhat bitterly (the occasional hypersensitivity, the saving things that belonged to the departed, the silly "relate-to-me" daydream), because i've been there in some way or another.

other things, i would've reacted very differently to... the other parent dating again, for example. my mother still has no desire to meet someone new and, while now i wouldn't mind it as much, i wouldn't have had as "mature" of a reaction as Aggie did had my mom started dating 3 years later. at 17... uh muh guh... i'd probably have had a brat-tastic nuclear meltdown.

i also can't quite see how Aggie's single father is paying the bills on a teacher's salary, or how Aggie can drop a few hundred bucks on clothes and talk about her credit limit. money has always been a sore spot with our family, even before Dad died. when the chief provider is gone, it shakes the house up in a whole new way. that's just nitpicking, though... and the explanations probably don't make for good comics, so i won't be watching for them.

bottom line, i guess, is that i think i can understand why Aggie dwells on her lost mother so much. not to sound trite, but you're basically walking around with a hole in your heart. you wish and wish for it to heal and make the pain stop, and then when it does start healing, you feel guilty and tear it open all over again.

that's the way i saw it, anyway. it began to fade over time, but it never really leaves me... and every once in a while, it rears up to smack me in the face again. graduation ceremonies, weddings, grandchildren... he's missing all of that. it hurts, because i want him there and i know that he wanted to be there. i think i lucked out a little because my big brothers and i had each other to lean on. Aggie can't seem to find a contemporary who understands this part of her life.

guh... too rambly, and not sure if this helped anyone, even. if you've read this far, your mission is now to give your parents hugs the very next chance you get. and if they're right in the next room watching teevee and you're still sitting here browsing the forums, then you're a fool. i stop now.
badkittyface
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Freemage on Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:59 pm

bkf: As far as the finances are concerned, a lot of it depends on how Penny's mom died, and how well-insured she was. Some jobs offer hefty policies on the cheap, meaning that the family is, perversely, better off financially without the person than they were.

As a for-instance, I'm insured by my job to the tune of 100K, even though my annual salary is about a fourth of that--and that's the free/automatic stuff. If I actually were putting money into it, I could get a 500K policy, easy. But then, y'know, I'd have to start checking my food for the smell of bitter almonds. :wink: My fiancee would just LOVE a bigger place, I know.... :P
Freemage
Keenspot Despot

Postby missMagdalena on Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:42 pm

solemnitude wrote:
missMagdalena wrote:
But I won't fall into the spectrum ruse, I'm determined. bah.

The spectrum "ruse"? So sexuality always fits into nicely-shaped slots?

Of course not. I was really just joking. What I dislike about it is people using such ideas to try and sound bohemian and intellectual. And, to discuss it further, I also don't think the idea of a spectrum provides the best solution. Sexuality is all over the place. A spectrum of sexuality is usually envisioned as being different variations between gay and straight, which ignores so many other variables. For example, where do you fit asexuality into that mix? Sexuality I think is much more dynamic than simply the path from gay to straight, level of sex drive being only one other variable to consider.

But also: a long time ago I got sick of people claiming to be bisexual in order to be hip. Basically: maybe you are, maybe you aren't, probably you're mostly confused and I don't care if you ever know your sexuality, but you don't have to brag about it so much.

Basically, I was just being senselessly derogatory towards people less obnoxious than I am when it comes to over-analyzing things in a way that makes no difference. But I really do enjoy such viciousness.

Okay. Thank you very much for explaining further. I agree with you! Sexuality is very all over the place, and we wouldn't need overanalyzation if everyone would just realize how little it matters.

For the record, I think Penny and Aggie does a wonderful job of showing all sorts of sexuality. The Stan comic yesterday that threw everyone off... that could mean so many different things. Fantastic.

And! "Trend bisexuals" are my worst pet peeve, especially because they give people the mistaken notion that bisexuality isn't actually real. I can't stand that. I'm not going to expand on this topic because I'll get too tangential and annoyed.
missMagdalena
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Klugheit on Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:13 pm

You already sound tangential and annoyed.
Klugheit
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ivy-chan on Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:54 pm

On a different topic, I didn't read the picture with Sara as her wondering what girl she'd go gay for. I, like Grizkey, assumed she was reading her 'Hunx' magazine, full of hot, young, scantily-clad men, and got an image of a scantily-clad young girl instead. Hence the question mark at the end of Lindsay, she's a bit confused as to why she started thinking about that while doing some eye-candy scoping.

Stan's neither here nor there for me, but I think Sara is the token bisexual in-progress here. (Of course, I may be proven wrong with more comics full of Stan pondering the depth of his feelings for Rich!)
"Wherever they burn books they will also, in the end, burn human beings."
-Heinrich Heine
ivy-chan
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Cameo on Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:22 pm

L-ren wrote:I thought the girl in the first panel was Meg.

As did I, before being reminded of the Rich-fangirl from way back when.
ImageImageImageImageImage
I continue to be female!
How devious.
Anyone who wants to draw Cameo can refer to this.
Hooray for avatars I made!
[12:02:17] cameoAppearance: I am an adult. I can make my own ice cream decisions.
The Cammy Guarantee: All sig quotes make sense in context!
Cameo
Keenspot Deity

Postby JackFairy on Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:50 pm

Klugheit wrote:You already sound tangential and annoyed.

And you sound needlessly jerky.

Anyway, I think we're being led pretty clearly down the "Sara's a lesbian" path. Not only is the whole "fantasizing about a girl by 'accident' when you intended to fantasize about guys" the archetypical closet experience, but we've seen plenty of indications and hints before. It's still not entirely set, of course, but the hints are getting quite strong.

I do wonder though, why people tend to be so obstinate in refusing to accept that a character might be gay unless it's spelled out to them in block capitals. Not necessarily here, but in another comic I read (Loserz), the artist started dropping hints that one of the girls might be a lesbian. People just REFUSED to believe it. We saw a strip where she was walking with a boy and turned around to look at a girl, a strip where she told the boy that she had a secret she was afraid to tell her other, judgemental friends about and that it concerned being true to her feelings, a strip where she said it was good to finally tell someone and then pointed at a girl and exlaimed exuberantly, "That girl's hot!" and a strip where, after showing up at a new female friend's house, she told her that she had a secret crush, and upon being encouraged to reveal it, kissed the female friend...

...and people still kept claiming "it might be a mistake." They said the "secret crush" was on the boy, and when she said that other girl was hot she was just acting out from the excitement of not having to hide everything from everyone anymore, and that when she kissed the girl, it was also just because "she was so happy" that she could talk to non-judgemental people now, and so on.

I just don't get why it's so hard for some people, who don't seem particularly homophobic, to just accept that a character is gay without the author having to like, put it in the official FAQ.
Last edited by JackFairy on Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
JackFairy
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby isobel on Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:50 pm

My two cents here is that I think Sara is gay or bisexual, but I just like theorizing into empty space. Because that's what this comic is for. :D
isobel
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Sebastian on Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:30 pm

Grizkey wrote:did anyone else notice that sarah seems to be nekkid, under sheets, presumably on a bed?
With a magazine of dubious contents no less :wink:

Maybe that's why she seems so puzzled about "Lindsay?"
Cause maybe she's petting the kitty (excuse the term please) and
gettin unsual thoughts popping into her noggin about cetain hot female celebs,
rather than hot anonymous guys in a playgirl-esque book.

My $0.02 :roll:

I thought the same but her hands are both clearly visible ;)
Sebastian
Keenspot Despot

Postby Akilika on Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:05 am

badkittyface wrote:i also can't quite see how Aggie's single father is paying the bills on a teacher's salary, or how Aggie can drop a few hundred bucks on clothes and talk about her credit limit. money has always been a sore spot with our family, even before Dad died. when the chief provider is gone, it shakes the house up in a whole new way. that's just nitpicking, though... and the explanations probably don't make for good comics, so i won't be watching for them.

Well, maybe a part of it is that Aggie has a job . . . we've seen her at Veggie Bales even after she got fired from the summer jobs she and Penny were fighting over. Aggie was probably being snide about the credit limit thing . . .

But the only thing I can think of for the outfit is that she saw it on sale recently and thought it'd be a great zinger against Penny. *shrug* I don't know.

. . . I really don't know about the bills thing. Life insurance is one possibility, yeah. If the home (can't remember if we've seen what kind of home it is) was already paid for by the time Melody died, that would help, too . . .

*shrug* Or maybe they just pay teachers well in that district. >_>; Far-flung, but it might be possible. :D
Dog and Pony, a webcomic
Akilika
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Yawnitz on Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:15 am

missMagdalena wrote:The spectrum "ruse"? So sexuality always fits into nicely-shaped slots?

The first thought I had when I read this post was:

"Huh huh. She said 'slots'."
"Heh heh. Yeah! 'Slots!'"
Yes, I do think skunks are cute.
Yawnitz
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby atristain on Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:29 am

atristain wrote:Fiddy and Lindsey? Who tha Hey! are them?
Boy! Do I feel OLD!

Well I meant to ask this for real. Who are those guys. The only Lindsey I remember is Lindsey "Bionic Woman" Wagner.

Yes. I'm THAT old...
The sound of rolling dice
To me is music in the air!
'Cause I'm a gamblin' Boogie Man
Although I don't play fair!
atristain
Keenspot Despot

Postby Freemage on Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:59 am

atristain wrote:
Boy! Do I feel OLD!

Well I meant to ask this for real. Who are those guys. The only Lindsey I remember is Lindsey "Bionic Woman" Wagner.

Yes. I'm THAT old...

Actress/model [url=http://www.lohanworld.com/pic_gall/pic_lohan_017.html[/URL]Lindsay Lohan[/url]

Rapper 50 Cent.

Samantha likes her bad boys.
Freemage
Keenspot Despot

Postby atristain on Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:08 am

Freemage wrote:
atristain wrote:
Boy! Do I feel OLD!

Yes. I'm THAT old...

Actress/model Lindsay Lohan

Thanks a lot.

After seeing her picture, I think I'm a lesbian too... :evilgrin:
And I'm a dirty old man. :wink:
The sound of rolling dice
To me is music in the air!
'Cause I'm a gamblin' Boogie Man
Although I don't play fair!
atristain
Keenspot Despot

Postby Maritza Campos on Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:57 am

Girl in first panel called Penny "Peggy". I call her the RichFanGirl.

I recently re-read P&A and it seems to me that Sarah could have a seriously denied fondness for Aggie. When Penny was dating Rich, her jealousy was the normal friend-jealousy: she hanged out with him instead of with them, she changed etc.

Instead, when she thought Aggie was anonymously sending a love note to Penny, she got a lot more upset.

And there's the "sending a set of paints anonymously" to Aggie, which was like OMGWTF. In all her interactions, she has been outright hostile towards Aggie. So that gift, uh????

I think Aggie feels more the hole left by her mom because she was her role model. His dad is a bit clueless about Aggie, often misunderstanding her or failing to help here, no matter his good intentions. Aggie probably thinks her mother would help her with all the moral dilemmas caused by her activism clashing with High School Hell.
Maritza Campos
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Sebastian on Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:13 pm

Maritza Campos wrote:And there's the "sending a set of paints anonymously" to Aggie, which was like OMGWTF. In all her interactions, she has been outright hostile towards Aggie. So that gift, uh????

Was she? That's not my impression, in a couple of comics we have seen Sarah and Aggie talking in what was apparently a civile manner, once she even laughed to one of her jokes, I think. I don't see their reactions as hostile, escept maybe when Penny was present.

Edit: Some links to relevant comics
http://www.pennyandaggie.com/d/20050728.html
http://www.pennyandaggie.com/d/20050905.html
http://www.pennyandaggie.com/d/20051004.html
(OK, not exactly laughing at her joke but near enough)
Last edited by Sebastian on Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sebastian
Keenspot Despot

Postby Klugheit on Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:20 pm

JackFairy wrote:

And you sound hyper-sensitive.
Klugheit
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby missMagdalena on Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:33 pm

I'm sorry. My intent was to apologize for my misinterpretation. If I failed, the fault was mine.

Back to the comic, I'm struck by the amount of unfamiliar/minor characters in this strip. I wonder if it means we'll be seeing more of Samantha, at least (as she's the only named minor character here).
missMagdalena
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby JackFairy on Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:49 pm

Klugheit wrote:
JackFairy wrote:

Not really, I just like calling out assholes like y'self. That post of yours was so great. It added so much to the discussion.
JackFairy
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ostracee on Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:18 pm

Maritza Campos wrote:And there's the "sending a set of paints anonymously" to Aggie, which was like OMGWTF. In all her interactions, she has been outright hostile towards Aggie. So that gift, uh????

I thought she was trying to screw with her somehow...maybe convince her that the set was from Penny.

I do get the feeling, though, that she doesn't really mind Aggie...just, can't really afford to spend too much time with her, or risk losing Penny. Especially if she's overcompensating - Aggie's straight, of course, but still...especially in the "Annie Hall" outfit.... I don't think that's a specific attraction, though, just "not...her."
Ostracee
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Notice we have no GUYS indicating who they'd want....

Postby Papuasblya on Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:21 pm

or it would be THIS girl

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=374

hmmmm pizza
Three generations of imbeciles is enough.
Papuasblya
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Klugheit on Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:23 am

JackFairy wrote:
Klugheit wrote:
JackFairy wrote:

Not really, I just like calling out assholes like y'self. That post of yours was so great. It added so much to the discussion.

Really? Because I didn't intend it to. It was honestly just meant as some simple teasing, maybe lighten the mood a bit.
It's unfortunate that you misinterpreted my remarks and, with the aid of your masterfully-disguised sarcasm, came to see me as an 'asshole.'

Unless, you know, you're being hyper-sensitive about it. But perhaps I shouldn't have jumped to that conclusion.

I don't even see what the big deal is, anyway. I mean, Magdalena already apologized, and for what it's worth I believe she was being sincere. Shall we put this all behind us?
Klugheit
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Papuasblya on Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:28 am

Klugheit wrote:
JackFairy wrote:
Klugheit wrote:
JackFairy wrote:

Really? Because I didn't intend it to. It was honestly just meant as some simple teasing, maybe lighten the mood a bit.
It's unfortunate that you misinterpreted my remarks and, with the aid of your masterfully-disguised sarcasm, came to see me as an 'asshole.'

Unless, you know, you're being hyper-sensitive about it. But perhaps I shouldn't have jumped to that conclusion.

I don't even see what the big deal is, anyway. I mean, Magdalena already apologized, and for what it's worth I believe she was being sincere. Shall we put this all behind us?

Sounds like y'all need a visit from Pizza Girl.
Three generations of imbeciles is enough.
Papuasblya
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Klugheit on Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:20 am

Papuasblya wrote:
Klugheit wrote:
JackFairy wrote:
Klugheit wrote:
JackFairy wrote:

Sounds like y'all need a visit from Pizza Girl.

... I'm finding it difficult to refute this claim, since pizza is indeed awesome :P
Klugheit
Keenspotter Supreme

PreviousNext

Return to Penny and Aggie