[10/16] What they really, really want....

The teenage years. Friendships, crushes, growth... and hating. Lots of hating.

Moderators: Gisele Lagace, TCampbell

Forum rules
Penny and Aggie moved to http://www.pennyandaggie.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=1

[10/16] What they really, really want....

Postby Freemage on Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:18 pm

Hrm... You know, the more I think about it, the more I think Marshall/Charlotte might actually be a good couple. She definitely needs someone who can make her understand you don't have to rip others down to build yourself up; he would benefit from someone who would actually understand wanting to wait.

Brandi's gotta be a challenge for ANY guy's ego.

Poor Penny.

Back off, Sara. Lindsay is MINE. Er, um.... :oops: Never mind, nothing to see here.

Who is that on the couch, and why are they dreaming of L. Ron Hubbard?

*Sniffle*
Freemage
Keenspot Despot

Postby Raitoo on Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:21 pm

Uh, that's not Brandi. That's Samantha.
Raitoo
Junior Keenspotter

Re: [10/16] What they really, really want....

Postby Ollie_Vera on Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:22 pm

Freemage wrote:Who is that on the couch, and why are they dreaming of L. Ron Hubbard?

Senorita Ignoramus, I believe.

By the way, the black chick is Samantha, not Brandi...

And WHO is that chick in the first panel? At first I thought it was Penny's mom. :o [/url]
Ollie_Vera
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby meshuggeneh on Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:05 am

Ollie_Vera wrote:And WHO is that chick in the first panel? At first I thought it was Penny's mom. :o [/url]

Voila
meshuggeneh
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Fen on Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:14 am

I will never understand you. When will I stop trying?
Fen
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Klugheit on Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:27 am

What, you can't remember who all these people are?

This sounds like a job for Gratuitous 4-Week Character-Highlight Arc, take two!
Klugheit
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ivy-chan on Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:43 am

Man, Marshall's just a magnet for the troubled ones, isn't he? XD
"Wherever they burn books they will also, in the end, burn human beings."
-Heinrich Heine
ivy-chan
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby miarrow on Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:29 am

Klugheit wrote:This sounds like a job for Gratuitous 4-Week Character-Highlight Arc, take two!

Don't. Even. Joke.
miarrow
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby atristain on Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:11 am

For placing that awful song by that awful Spicy group, you must die... But first I gotta kill the song in my head. :evil:

Fiddy and Lindsey? Who tha Hey! are them?
Boy! Do I feel OLD!

* Moving head from side to side in dissapointment *
Sarah, Sarah, Sarah! Pining over a girl while checking the "Hunks" mag? That's like a guy thinking about Justin while checking FHM! Whisky Tango Foxtrot?
The sound of rolling dice
To me is music in the air!
'Cause I'm a gamblin' Boogie Man
Although I don't play fair!
atristain
Keenspot Despot

Postby SAGG on Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:12 am

AHA! :evilgrin: I knew it! Sara's coming out of the closet! You thought you could slip it by me, eh? :evilgrin:
Thanks.
SAGG
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

There's something about Aggie...

Postby Sassy-fras on Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:21 am

As much as I love Aggie, why hasn't she moved on with her mother's death? It seems like she's stopped truly living when it comes to relationships with other people. I hope we see a little bit more of Aggie soon. It'd be cool if she grows out of her shell of misconceptions.

I loved the panel with Sara. I wonder why she restrains herself so much. Is it family? Image? Personal fears? Curious, curious, curious for more P&A. =D

P.S. Fiddy = The rapper Fifty Cents and Lindsay I'm assuming, is for Lindsay Lohan????
Last edited by Sassy-fras on Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marco: Maybe if you showed Dr. Zaius the proper respect, Dr. Zaius would stop showing you the POO! -Josie and the Pussycats-
Sassy-fras
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby snowp14 on Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:28 am

As much as I love Aggie, why hasn't she moved on with her mother's death? It seems like she's stopped truly living when it comes to relationships with other people. I hope we see a little bit more of Aggie soon. It'd be cool if she grows out of her shell of misconceptions.

I have a friend who's father died 7 years ago, and she's nowhere near over it. Like Aggie, it really hurt her when it comes to her relationships with other people. She won't let anyone get too close to her
snowp14
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: There's something about Aggie...

Postby Tarlia on Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:36 am

Sassy-fras wrote:As much as I love Aggie, why hasn't she moved on with her mother's death? It seems like she's stopped truly living when it comes to relationships with other people. I hope we see a little bit more of Aggie soon. It'd be cool if she grows out of her shell of misconceptions.

I think this scene is the aftermath of hearing her dad (reluctantly) have phone sex with Charisma?
Tarlia
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby iRobot on Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:04 am

Freemage wrote:Hrm... You know, the more I think about it, the more I think Marshall/Charlotte might actually be a good couple. She definitely needs someone who can make her understand you don't have to rip others down to build yourself up; he would benefit from someone who would actually understand wanting to wait.

Y'know.... That's a scary thought. But one I can't dismiss. Interesting.

atristain wrote:* Moving head from side to side in dissapointment *
Sarah, Sarah, Sarah! Pining over a girl while checking the "Hunks" mag? That's like a guy thinking about Justin while checking FHM! Whisky Tango Foxtrot?

Or like a guy thinking about his best male friend while a hottie is going down on him.... I'm just sayin'.

Sassy-fras wrote:As much as I love Aggie, why hasn't she moved on with her mother's death? It seems like she's stopped truly living when it comes to relationships with other people. I hope we see a little bit more of Aggie soon. It'd be cool if she grows out of her shell of misconceptions.

I think this has more to do with her being uncomfortable with her father moving on. It's one thing to abstractly accept that he has to in order to lead a healthy life, but being confonted by it is scary and she feels like she might be losing the last vestige of her mother or that her father will forget her mother.... I don't know, that's just my thoughts--I've never been in her situation.
Kyn
-----
No, if I were really a jerk, my sig would contain lots of pictures, tired quotes, insipid "wisdom," brainless "wit," and/or lines of text art. And I would be deluded enough to somehow think that any of that was actually cool.
iRobot
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby L-ren on Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:19 am

I thought the girl in the first panel was Meg.
L-ren
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby S. Edmund on Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:36 am

this is going to sound like denial, but I don't think Sara is gay. in high school these days it's not unusual for a group of girls to sit around doing their work and naming a list of stars they'd go gay for. hell, it's what my friends do in almost every day. and none of us are lesbians, or even bi. that's just how teen society is these days.

and I'm guessing mr. hubbard is a teacher. so many new characters. which means it'll be forever before we wrap up any of the current miniarchs.
S. Edmund
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Freemage on Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:04 pm

Raitoo wrote:Uh, that's not Brandi. That's Samantha.

You know, I'd feel white-liberal guilt about mixing the two up, if it weren't for the fact that I also thought the first panel was Penny. :oops:

And Ollie, thanks for the ID on the Hubbard fan.
Freemage
Keenspot Despot

Postby solemnitude on Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:04 pm

S. Edmund wrote:this is going to sound like denial, but I don't think Sara is gay. in high school these days it's not unusual for a group of girls to sit around doing their work and naming a list of stars they'd go gay for. hell, it's what my friends do in almost every day. and none of us are lesbians, or even bi. that's just how teen society is these days.

I experienced that in high school as well. Even the most hetero girls would babble on about whom they'd go gay for. Of course, it was also popular for many chicks (and even a few guys I knew) to claim to be bisexual and try to prove it. Oh, all the pseudo-intellectual discussions of how sexuality is a spectrum.

However, it is a different thing to show someone conflicted in their own mind as opposed to publicly hopping on to the free love bandwagon. I don't know if Sara's gay, bi, or anything between or beyond, but it's more than just falling ino a trend. And, I know a lot of people who have shifted their understanding of their sexuality many times since high school. It's not an easy thing to pin down for many, not simply gay or straight. But I won't fall into the spectrum ruse, I'm determined. bah.
Last edited by solemnitude on Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
solemnitude
Junior Keenspotter

Re: There's something about Aggie...

Postby willow_41z on Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:23 pm

Tarlia wrote:I think this scene is the aftermath of hearing her dad (reluctantly) have phone sex with Charisma?

It seems like it. She is wearing the same shirt.
willow_41z
Junior Keenspotter

Postby solemnitude on Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:24 pm

snowp14 wrote:I have a friend who's father died 7 years ago, and she's nowhere near over it. Like Aggie, it really hurt her when it comes to her relationships with other people. She won't let anyone get too close to her

I dated somone whose father died when he was very young ... and it was a big part of his life, still, 18 years later. He was quite the opposite - very sentimental and wanting to get married (note: I was 18 when we met, he was 21, so marriage = scary). But I think it's evident that it has a lasting and unavoidable impact.

I don't rule out the possibility that at Aggie's age, going through those horrifying years, she might cling to the memory of her mother as a mechanism for avoiding the things that terrify her. But I'm no psychologist. I don't think the reference to her mother is odd in this context, with her father moving on and all, but far more interesting is her daydream around the time she first met Marshall, that is, her desire to connect to someone who can understand.

So perhaps it's not merely a means of detachment - she wants intimacy but is deterred - and even daydreams of intimacy through mutual experience, knowing that it is a horrible thought.
solemnitude
Junior Keenspotter

Postby missMagdalena on Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:41 pm

But I won't fall into the spectrum ruse, I'm determined. bah.

The spectrum "ruse"? So sexuality always fits into nicely-shaped slots?
missMagdalena
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby solemnitude on Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:01 pm

missMagdalena wrote:

Of course not. I was really just joking. What I dislike about it is people using such ideas to try and sound bohemian and intellectual. And, to discuss it further, I also don't think the idea of a spectrum provides the best solution. Sexuality is all over the place. A spectrum of sexuality is usually envisioned as being different variations between gay and straight, which ignores so many other variables. For example, where do you fit asexuality into that mix? Sexuality I think is much more dynamic than simply the path from gay to straight, level of sex drive being only one other variable to consider.

But also: a long time ago I got sick of people claiming to be bisexual in order to be hip. Basically: maybe you are, maybe you aren't, probably you're mostly confused and I don't care if you ever know your sexuality, but you don't have to brag about it so much.

Basically, I was just being senselessly derogatory towards people less obnoxious than I am when it comes to over-analyzing things in a way that makes no difference. But I really do enjoy such viciousness.
solemnitude
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Freemage on Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:03 pm

missMagdalena wrote:

Given the rest of his post, I think he meant it's more that the "spectrum" notion is, itself, overly simplistic. It suggests that there's this handy-dandy rating that everyone can be assigned, and once you've got your number, you know where you stand. "Oh, well, I'm a 4.7, so it's pretty understandable that I occasionally think about Brad Pitt and bath beads in the same context."

But human sexuality is even more complicated than that--Stan's actually a pretty good display of this. The spectrum would say, "Well, you either have exclusive, strong, middling, weak, or non-existent homosexual urges." It discounts, among other things, the possibility that someone might have strong homosexual urges but for a very slim segment of the population--possibly down to one individual only, and that outside of that spectrum, there's zero interest at all.

By any degree of measurement on conventional tests, I'm straight enough to test yardsticks. But that doesn't mean that Neil Gaiman couldn't have me at "Hello," were he into overweight hairy balding dudes. When someone cures your migraine with nothing but the sound of his voice, it tends to make an impression.
Freemage
Keenspot Despot

Not as uniform as it looks?

Postby isobel on Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:29 pm

Just speculating here, because I like to theorize into empty space: unless Aggie has some serious issues to which we are not privy, this strip is not 100% sexual attraction/affection. I think Samantha, Charlotte and Nameless Rich Fangirl are in the throes of "I'd hit it" type affection. Maybe Senorita Ignoramus is crushing on L. Ron Hubbard (or a teacher), or maybe she's just feeling some religious love. And Sara, well, far be it from me to rule out her being lesbian, since she has thrown off a few signs of it in Shoposphere and elsewhere, but it's possible she might just idolise Lindsay, being as she did spend an entire story arc having an identity crisis. So there's my monkey wrench, although my first vote is for a sexual attraction that may or may not have her puzzled and startled.
isobel
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby solemnitude on Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:36 pm

Freemage wrote: It discounts, among other things, the possibility that someone might have strong homosexual urges but for a very slim segment of the population--possibly down to one individual only, and that outside of that spectrum, there's zero interest at all.

Yes! Wonderful. Thank you for bringing the individual aspect into it. I do think that's very important. Even for those that can define their sexuality and believe in it quite firmly ... there is still the potential of the individual.

I personally define myself as hetero by default, but I feel I could be as easily attracted to women as to men, because on any level - lover, friend, acquaintence ... it all depends on individual connection. And that is not something that is ever predictable.

Reminds me of Greek philosophers who regarded women in a rather misogynistic way of course, and viewed true love and compassion as between two men (sexual or not). Sex, really, is merely a toy, and a rather versatile one. Unfortunately it tends to disguise the potency of true emotion.
solemnitude
Junior Keenspotter

Next

Return to Penny and Aggie