Wow. (10/13)

The teenage years. Friendships, crushes, growth... and hating. Lots of hating.

Moderators: Gisele Lagace, TCampbell

Forum rules
Penny and Aggie moved to http://www.pennyandaggie.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=1

Postby TheTeague on Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:36 am

The way I see it is Stan is putting himself down for having a man-crush, sexual or not. Just a bit of self loathing as Michelle is moving down below the covers. Then she starts and he gets distracted with either a burst of self-esteem, or denail.

I don't think Stan is a closet transvestite, as a real transvestie would have done a lot better job prettying themselves up in thier imagination.
TheTeague
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ostracee on Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:22 pm

What the...?

I have a feeling that this means exactly what it looks like. I just want to figure out what, exactly, that is.
Ostracee
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Freemage on Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:49 pm

*High-fives Ostracee* Let's go, Blatant Confusion!

Sorry, I'm just completely at a loss, here. It made me snicker, but I've just no idea what it all means.

I am fairly certain that 'Chelle's going to town in the last frame, though. Note that she's out-of-panel; if they were just continuing to cuddle, she'd be snuggled up against his chest.

EDIT: There's a list of about 20 or so words white suburban teenage males should never be allowed to use. "Bling" is number 7.
Freemage
Keenspot Despot

Postby LeonardC on Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:12 pm

Chrysee wrote:Y'know what's interesting? Lots of people reallly don't much like the character of Marshall, and alot of people (not everyone, so don't jump down my throat) seem to think he's gay based on conjecture when there's been little shown in the comic to lead to that conclusion.

People like Stan. Now this happens and -no one- wants to think he might be gay, even though this comic is much more evidence for that than anything we've seen of Marshall.

Now that's very interesting. ;P

I don't really think either of them are gay, but it certainly is easy how one is willing to jump to conclusions based on whether they like the character or not and not on any real "evidence"

Really good point, as far as I can see. Marshall doesn't want sex and says phrases associated with women? He's teh gay!! Stan fantasizes about another man? Oh, he probably just likes him a lot.
LeonardC
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby RisingPhoenix on Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:51 pm

Chrysee wrote:Y'know what's interesting? Lots of people reallly don't much like the character of Marshall, and alot of people (not everyone, so don't jump down my throat) seem to think he's gay based on conjecture when there's been little shown in the comic to lead to that conclusion.

People like Stan. Now this happens and -no one- wants to think he might be gay, even though this comic is much more evidence for that than anything we've seen of Marshall.

I don't really think either of them are gay, but it certainly is easy how one is willing to jump to conclusions based on whether they like the character or not and not on any real "evidence"
I'd like to say I associate nothing negative with homosexuality. For the record I think Marshall is a straight man who I happen to dislike intensely, and Stan is probably at least bisexual, if not flat out homosexual - and someone I find interesting, and enjoy.

It is interesting how people are going 'good guy = straight,' 'nasty guy = gay' here. Of course it might just be people are having trouble slotting Stan as a homosexual while he's getting head from a girl.

As for the man crush thing, there's hero worship. Very few people who idolize people dream about that person flirting with them while getting head.

For the record, where do you think she went? She's not next to him, and he's right up against the headboard. He clearly moved up inbetween the first panel and the last panel? To make room for someone? That's my guess.
RisingPhoenix
Junior Keenspotter

Postby kokutan on Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:26 am

Sunshine4u wrote:However, I can contribute to the man-crush idea. I had a couple of friends in high school that followed around a leader type very similar to Rich. If you ever asked them anything about him, they would talk him up as if they all wished to be just like him. This situation reminds me of that.

I've seen that happen too. The interesting thing is, my boyfriend is one of the confident leader-types, and it is very odd as his girlfriend getting used to the fact that some of his friends have mini-crushes on him.

And as for the Stan getting head thing: definitely. In the first panel he's holding up the sheets with one hand, and the other is on top of her head. That all says "If you want to do it, go for it" to me.
Well, it made sense in my head.
kokutan
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Rogue_Shadow on Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:06 pm

From what I gathered...

Stan is getting "more than a thrill" because he's relating to Michelle on another level than some chick he's doin'- i.e. he is a Rich fan boy who gets pushed to the side. Although, from the image we're given, it apparently feels more like he's a Rich fangirl. This seems likely to mean that, yeah, there is some attraction he's got towards Rich. At the very least, he's gotta man crush, but I'd say this really suggests more than that (although he himself might not realize it, considering how simple he keeps telling himself his thought processes are- ignoring something is a valid defense mechanism, I suppose).
Rogue_Shadow
Junior Keenspotter

Postby stregascozzese on Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:28 pm

I would agree that Stan appears to have an attraction to Rich, but I think it's more a personality crush than anything else. Look at the way he says "I know what it's like to luv Rich too". "Luv"???? I think Stan is just unused to encountering stronger personalities than his own, and that's what he takes Rich to be, hence the fascination.

As for what Michelle is doing... Perhaps I just have a particularly smutty mind, but I didn't entertain even a second's doubt about the meaning of the lifted covers and the hand on the back of her head, especially when you look at what she's doing with her mouth. The girl is limbering up.
stregascozzese
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Yuko no Slayer-Dryad on Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:18 pm

It's called Fanboy Reasoning. You should see how Takahashi Rumiko fans would speculate around these lines with Ranma 1/2 characters.
If a man is right about something, and no one agrees with him and he is unable to put his truth into benificial action beyond mere principle, does it really matter whether he's right or not?
Yuko no Slayer-Dryad
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby isobel on Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:41 pm

FWIW, I don't think Marshall's gay because his actions in the strip do not seem to support it. That is my opinion, based on his sensitivity toward being intimate/trusting with anyone and his attraction to Karen, please do not derail the thread to talk about him some more. I don't think Stan's gay either, because we've seen him follow ideas because they're ideas, not because there's anything to them or because he agrees with them. He "falls in love with the words," and I find his assessment that he is in life for the fun to be honest and correct-- we saw him win an election just to see if he could, then walk off once he got bored; to say nothing of his dynamic with Brandi. Stan's a shallow high school guy and he knows it (he even admitted that ladies only fall for guys his age because they're not sensible), and that seems the end of that. I'm not going to call it on either one of these guys, but I felt the need to weigh in for those of us who aren't indulging in "fanboy logic." XD
isobel
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby quitejaded on Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:06 pm

HELP! I DONT GET IT! :(
quitejaded
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby quitejaded on Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:09 pm

atristain wrote:Thus, we present you with the first P&A' Yaoi comic...

(Sarah's rigther than thou imagination doesn't count)

EDIT: Why do a lot of people think Michelle is working in Stan's nether parts?
I know the face of satisfaction in 4th panel can be confusing and Michelle needs to eat more, and perhaps she's getting ahead of her problems thanks to Stan, but drawing her giving Stan "something for his bothering" would cause more trouble than what Gis and T would want, specially in a PG-13 comic strip.

I think the 1st panel is intended to be more of them cuddling, even when it can cause some misinterpretations.

That would be SLASH since its AMERICAN. Or atleast not japanese. Thankgod.
quitejaded
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Archon Divinus on Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:04 pm

No, because slash indicates a fan fiction pairing between two male characters who are straight in canon.
Archon Divinus
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Cameo on Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:16 pm

I've seen it applied to female/female as well as male/male relationships; is this a misuse or simply a different use of the term?
ImageImageImageImageImage
I continue to be female!
How devious.
Anyone who wants to draw Cameo can refer to this.
Hooray for avatars I made!
[12:02:17] cameoAppearance: I am an adult. I can make my own ice cream decisions.
The Cammy Guarantee: All sig quotes make sense in context!
Cameo
Keenspot Deity

Postby sordideuphemism on Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:23 am

Slash originally refers to the mid-70s suggestions of Kirk/Spock homosexuality. Slash is reserved for homosexual hookups, while shipping is used for both homo, hetero, or stranger (Tardis/K-9, anyone?) suggestions.
sordideuphemism
Junior Keenspotter

Postby kash on Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:44 am

I was under the impression that slash just meant character/character.
because of the slash.
in fanfiction.
THANKS FO' THA PIZZAH, HOMESLICE!
kash
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Freemage on Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:46 am

As sordideuphemism stated, the meaning started out with a very specific meaning (Spock/Kirk), and has since drifted. It'll generally be understood as referencing any homosexual relationship, but hasn't quite reached the point where it covers heterosexual matches yet.
Freemage
Keenspot Despot

Postby Archon Divinus on Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:01 pm

Cameo wrote:I've seen it applied to female/female as well as male/male relationships; is this a misuse or simply a different use of the term?

It can be aplied to female/female pairings as well, it's just less common.
Archon Divinus
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby iRobot on Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:25 pm

sordideuphemism wrote:Tardis/K-9, anyone?

:o
Kyn
-----
No, if I were really a jerk, my sig would contain lots of pictures, tired quotes, insipid "wisdom," brainless "wit," and/or lines of text art. And I would be deluded enough to somehow think that any of that was actually cool.
iRobot
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby sordideuphemism on Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:00 am

iRobot wrote:
sordideuphemism wrote:Tardis/K-9, anyone?

:o

Hahaha. I use that example as a watermark - it got the same reaction out of me when I first stumbled across it. =)
sordideuphemism
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Black Mantha on Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:38 am

Cameo wrote:I've seen it applied to female/female as well as male/male relationships; is this a misuse or simply a different use of the term?

If it's used as such, it can be used as such.
Seeing, believing
Dreaming, deceiving
- Nightwish, Sleepwalker
Black Mantha
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Rogue_Shadow on Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:50 am

Archon Divinus wrote:

It can be aplied to female/female pairings as well, it's just less common.

Usually when one wants to classify it as female/female slash, they use the term "femme slash" to clarify.
Rogue_Shadow
Junior Keenspotter

Postby wchogg on Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:07 pm

Another way I think this comic could be read is that Stan is worried that him wanting to be with a girl Rich had a fling with is some subconcious way of getting closer to Rich. I don't think he so much actively feels this way, but is rather worried that this is "makes him gay". He seems like the kind of guy who really overthinks things sometimes.
I mean, I suppose the most straightforward interpretation is that Stan has intentions towards Rich, but the demeaning imagery of his "fantasy" and the denial that he has a complex psyche makes me think the above interpretation is a little more on the mark.
wchogg
Junior Keenspotter

Postby quitejaded on Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:22 pm

Fuck, so everyone wants to talk about slash but no one wants to explain this comic to me?
quitejaded
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby quitejaded on Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:22 pm

Fuck, so everyone wants to talk about slash but no one wants to explain this comic to me?
quitejaded
Keenspotter Supreme

PreviousNext

Return to Penny and Aggie