Page 2 of 2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:17 pm
by Frances
Papuasblya wrote:
Kitsuiko wrote:With all of the Stan-dislike that happened before, I'm kind of glad to see that most people aren't trying to find a way to make him evil here too. I think Stan's a pretty good guy that people want to be a bad guy, because he went against Aggie.

You raise an interesting point. What does it say about us as readers if our primary reason for disliking someone is simply that he competed against someone we liked in a contest?

That like many people--especially when given the freedom to judge non-existent characters, rather than other real people--we often base preferences on how they affect us personally, or how they have affected someone we like.

If Stan exists as an Antagonist to a Primary Likeable Character, then it's easier to dislike him. As he develops, it's harder.

And it's good to see the points being calmly listed in his favour. :)

Love and coffee,
Frances

Re: Reason 12

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:20 pm
by isobel
Papuasblya wrote:Have you guys noticed that he's sweet-talking her AFTER she's put out, instead of before?

Was there any need to baby her before? They had a decent, adult conversation beforehand about their future plans and interests, where sweet-talking would be really out of place. Then she put some very confident, mature moves on him and they were off to the races; something tells me that kind of attitude does not invite buttering her up (Someone said of Michelle at some point-- perhaps it was Stan-- that she's beautiful and she knows it. That'd probably make a guy feel that teenage flattery would be stating the obvious and might even annoy her). Now that he knows she's not as confident as she appeared and she's having some image problems, a little support would not go amiss. So no, I don't think there's a big bad meaning to sweet-talking her after she's "put out," but I'm sure there's some 4channish reason why I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:58 pm
by Pomiej
I don't think Stan is such a bad guy either, but he isn't a saint:

http://www.pennyandaggie.com/d/20050801.html

http://www.pennyandaggie.com/d/20060303.html[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:06 pm
by Frances
Pomiej wrote:I don't think Stan is such a bad guy either, but he isn't a saint:
http://www.pennyandaggie.com/d/20050801.html
http://www.pennyandaggie.com/d/20060303.html

Mhm.

I *do* see the points in his favour, but I'm still not convinced that his "Why?!" was for the reasons he said it was.

L&c,
F

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:34 pm
by seusshouse
1 ) He ran a clean campaign. Yes, he ran an aggressive and bombastic campaign, but did he try to smear his opponents personally? NO -- Duane went negative on HIM, and he took the accusation as a compliment. He did not respond in kind.
[/quote]

What about the "worse than Hitler" ringtones? Not that I don't like Stan, I do, but I'm just saying, that would be considered personally smearing Aggie, I think..

Oh, hi. First time poster. :D [/i]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:41 pm
by AKeenGuy
rcmonroe wrote:
atristain wrote:
Bangles wrote:I love myself
I want you to love me
When I feel down
I want you above me
I search myself
I want you to find me
I forget myself
I want you to remind me

I don't want
Anybody else
When I think about you
I touch myself
Ohhhh, I don't want
Anybody else
Oh no, oh no, oh no


That was the Divinyls, not the Bangles.

It

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:25 pm
by LeonardC
Stan ran his campaign on lies, the way any slimeball would do. That's pretty normal for politicians, I admit. Same for used-car salesmen. They're still shitty human beings for doing it, and should be called on the fact. The few who are honest in either field deserve our commendation, but the ones who aren't are just as disgusting as they would be in any other field of life. Sometimes, maybe, they can get a pass because it's the only way to accomplish real good - to defeat others who are even worse. Stan has no such excuse, whatsoever. It was a freaking high school election, and he was running against two people who were more principled than he was. Shame on him for that.

There are, in other words, plenty of proper occasions for Stan-hate; others have already shown more. But I agree that this isn't one of them. He's showing a good heart here. Either he already got laid, in which case he could just pack up and leave, or he stopped going when he saw she was hurt. Clearly he's not a complete heel. Good for him.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:12 am
by iRobot
I'm with Mr. Cohen on this. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:13 am
by atristain
AKeenGuy wrote:
rcmonroe wrote:That was the Divinyls, not the Bangles.

It

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:47 am
by atristain
El Durazno Muerte wrote:1) Stan's trying to make Michelle feel better. Whatever he says now, he still could have cried "Why??" for any of the reasons that you guys brought up before. Still and all, I'm glad his heart's in the right place.

Looks like Stan learned in the last year that ladies are sensible creatures, after all...

El Durazno Muerte wrote:Great. My first post and it's about oral sex. :oops: Oh, well, that's the internet for you!

Don't worry, you're not the only one that have thought that Stan excelled at French class and is good with his tongue in more than one way. :wink:

Welcome aboard.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:27 pm
by Stannish
[quote="Papuasblya"]He thought the same about Michelle, so he's a bit dopey for making the mistake, but then again, maybe she is into it only for the nookie -- remember she has been warned by Brandi not to fall in love and she has proceeded straight to Stan with that advice in her pocket.
quote]

This is the part that I wonder about. If his motivation works on her, would she abandon Brandi's rule? Sometimes that kind of flattery gets taken the wrong way.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:37 pm
by quitejaded
I totally understand her predicament! Sometimes I will be out and sit and a guy will come sit next to me and we talk and we get on subjects like this and he will say "What? But a girl who looks like you could have any guy she wanted!" and I think "no, I can't"

And its not because I think I'm ugly or whatever. I just can't seem to get the guy I want. It pisses me off. All these ugly girls are dating and I'm here doing the lonely nasty.

Of course, twice a guy would tell me something like that and he would say "Well, then again I'm not that surprised. The way you think makes it hard for you to secure relationships like most people." So I guess I'm just going to be a scientist.

Anyway, I want to see this motivation he has for Michelle and what happens to her.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:42 pm
by quitejaded
atristain wrote:
El Durazno Muerte wrote:1) Stan's trying to make Michelle feel better. Whatever he says now, he still could have cried "Why??" for any of the reasons that you guys brought up before. Still and all, I'm glad his heart's in the right place.

Looks like Stan learned in the last year that ladies are sensible creatures, after all...



NO THEY ARE NOT!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:13 am
by CassSpaz
quitejaded wrote:I totally understand her predicament! Sometimes I will be out and sit and a guy will come sit next to me and we talk and we get on subjects like this and he will say "What? But a girl who looks like you could have any guy she wanted!" and I think "no, I can't"

And its not because I think I'm ugly or whatever. I just can't seem to get the guy I want. It pisses me off. All these ugly girls are dating and I'm here doing the lonely nasty.

Of course, twice a guy would tell me something like that and he would say "Well, then again I'm not that surprised. The way you think makes it hard for you to secure relationships like most people." So I guess I'm just going to be a scientist.

Anyway, I want to see this motivation he has for Michelle and what happens to her.


I'm assuming you're in high school. I had the exact same problem, because the majority of high school boys are shallow, and don't want much out of a relationship but fun. Be patient. When you find the exception, it'll be worth the wait.