10-2 Ow! I mean... Wow!

The teenage years. Friendships, crushes, growth... and hating. Lots of hating.

Moderators: Gisele Lagace, TCampbell

Forum rules
Penny and Aggie moved to http://www.pennyandaggie.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=1

10-2 Ow! I mean... Wow!

Postby Sebastian on Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:15 pm

Maybe it is too soon to speak but this particolar strip made my opinion of Stan goes up a couple notches, he looks so... concerned. Maybe he is not a totally scumbag, after all.

And about Michelle the only thing I can say is :roll:
Sebastian
Keenspot Despot

Postby RadicaLElly on Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:21 pm

Maybe it is too soon to speak but this particolar strip made my opinion of Stan goes up a couple notches, he looks so... concerned. Maybe he is not a totally scumbag, after all.

Interesting you would say that, because I think a little less of Stan at this moment. He seems more shocked than concerned to me and I'm sure his "Why???" really embarassed Michelle.
RadicaLElly
Junior Keenspotter

Postby ria on Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:27 pm

Depends on what he means by "Why?"

"Why hasn't anyone else had sex with you yet?" -- as in, you're pretty, beautiful, smart and attractive enough to certainly be desirable.

or

"Why didn't you tell me?" -- which has some validity, but if he's going to act all offended and get mad at her, that's another thing altogether.
ria
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Sebastian on Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:30 pm

RadicaLElly wrote:

Interesting you would say that, because I think a little less of Stan at this moment. He seems more shocked than concerned to me and I'm sure his "Why???" really embarassed Michelle.

I think he mean "why didn't you told me?" and if it so then it is a perfectly comprensible reaction IMHO.

Or he could mean "why you are still a virgin?" and then I could have to put him back to the "Less than scumbag" level. :)
Sebastian
Keenspot Despot

Postby Fen on Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:49 pm

Now, my 2 cents is that he's pissed cause he didn't know.
The bad part about having sex when you don't really know the other person(and are completely unaware of her past eperiences) is that if the other person has little or no experience, you have to be mroe patient, take care of certain things. I'm sure that Michelle convinced Stan that she is quite...erm. slutty. I mean not slutty, but has lots and lots of casual sex, so he probably dived right in. Which hurts. like, literally.
I will never understand you. When will I stop trying?
Fen
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Nocty on Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:05 am

I read it as a 'then why are you doing this?' thing, personally.
-Nocty
Nocty
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Dagda Mor on Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:19 am

"Because I haven't had sex before?"

But seriously, I'm in agreement with nocty.
Dagda Mor
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Sebastian on Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:17 am

Anyway between the dialogue and facial expression this is probably the less erotic sex scen I'd ever seen. :D
Sebastian
Keenspot Despot

Postby RentACop on Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:47 am

Arousing!

I read it as "Why me?", though I'm thinking one of the other interpretations is more correcter.

(Fail english? Unpossible!)
RentACop
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby CassSpaz on Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:28 am

I, for one, find it extremely difficult to have an intensive conversation, duing, you know, sex, but maybe it's just that awkward.
CassSpaz
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Eldrad on Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:35 am

Please tell me I'm not the only one whose first thought was "Not anymore she isn't."
First hint: I am not your friend.
Eldrad
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Starline on Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:54 am

I read it as "Why'd you choose me?!" as well.
Starline
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Sebastian on Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:13 am

Eldrad wrote:Please tell me I'm not the only one whose first thought was "Not anymore she isn't."

Well, I thought "shouldn't he have sad 'were'?" but close enough.

Edit: Oh, wait, he used a contraption. Maybe he said 'were'.
Sebastian
Keenspot Despot

Postby Cameo on Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:01 am

Personally, I read it as "why are you still a virgin", as in "you're so desirable that the fact no one's had sex with you yet comes as a shock".

Not sure why that's the most obvious interpretation for me... especially considering my considerable dislike of Stan.
ImageImageImageImageImage
I continue to be female!
How devious.
Anyone who wants to draw Cameo can refer to this.
Hooray for avatars I made!
[12:02:17] cameoAppearance: I am an adult. I can make my own ice cream decisions.
The Cammy Guarantee: All sig quotes make sense in context!
Cameo
Keenspot Deity

Postby courdorygrrl on Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:50 am

Eldrad wrote:Please tell me I'm not the only one whose first thought was "Not anymore she isn't."

That was my first thought Also.

Edit: Oh, wait, he used a contraption. Maybe he said 'were'.

I'm not even going to go into what I thought when I read "contraption". Do you mean a "contraction"? As in two words that are melded together with an apostrophe?

I can see Stan in the next comic sitting on the side of the bed with his head in his hands saying something like "Dammit, Michelle, why? WHY WHYWHY?!!" In this one I don't think he's angry as much as purlely suprised. I mean, come on, she flirts with him non-stop, shows up at his house in the slutties dress she can find, basically pounces him, and he's supposed to think she's a virgin? I don't think so. I only say this because I've been there. When I lost my virginity it was a very similar situation, except I fessed up before it got that far. And the guy was notorious for not sleeping with virgins because in his experience they became "wierd and clingy" (his words not mine) afterward. I suppose I was the exception to the rule, since we never dated and are still very good friends. Perhaps Stan, being the playboy that he is, is the same way?

EDIT: Stan reminds me of this particular friend a lot. Perhaps that's why I DO like him.
courdorygrrl
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Frances on Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:57 am

Nocty wrote:I read it as a 'then why are you doing this?' thing, personally.

Me too.

Which, if he has the sense to ask it, does rather up my opinion of him. (I'd read it at that point as a case of Stan knowing he fools around, clearly presenting himself as a player, and wondering why the hell anyone would want their first time to be a quick fling.)

L&c,
f
Frances
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby daanton on Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:15 am

Cameo wrote:Personally, I read it as "why are you still a virgin", as in "you're so desirable that the fact no one's had sex with you yet comes as a shock".

Not sure why that's the most obvious interpretation for me... especially considering my considerable dislike of Stan.

So I take it according to "the gospel of Stan" that being a virgin and staying a virgin (at least until marriage) is no longer deemed "in", "hip" or relevant?? :-|
daanton
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Sebastian on Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:01 am

courdorygrrl wrote:I'm not even going to go into what I thought when I read "contraption". Do you mean a "contraction"? As in two words that are melded together with an apostrophe?

Yep!
I can see Stan in the next comic sitting on the side of the bed with his head in his hands saying something like "Dammit, Michelle, why? WHY WHYWHY?!!" In this one I don't think he's angry as much as purlely suprised. I mean, come on, she flirts with him non-stop, shows up at his house in the slutties dress she can find, basically pounces him, and he's supposed to think she's a virgin? I don't think so. I only say this because I've been there. When I lost my virginity it was a very similar situation, except I fessed up before it got that far. And the guy was notorious for not sleeping with virgins because in his experience they became "wierd and clingy" (his words not mine) afterward. I suppose I was the exception to the rule, since we never dated and are still very good friends. Perhaps Stan, being the playboy that he is, is the same way?

EDIT: Stan reminds me of this particular friend a lot. Perhaps that's why I DO like him.

Well, They said Stan is a people-pleaser, he aparently want for the girl to enjoy it at least as much as him, even if just for the pubblicity value. I think if she had told him he would have been more careful.

And that, incidentally, is why I think he mean "why didn't you tell me?"
Last edited by Sebastian on Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sebastian
Keenspot Despot

Postby courdorygrrl on Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:13 am

And that, incidentally, is why I think he mean "why didn't you tell me?"

My whole long ramble was just to say that I agree with you. In my defence, I was barely awake when I wrote it.
courdorygrrl
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby atristain on Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:13 am

daanton wrote:So I take it according to "the gospel of Stan" that being a virgin and staying a virgin (at least until marriage) is no longer deemed "in", "hip" or relevant?? :-|

Well, I think he's "in" her "hips" right now... :smug:

Seriously: I read that "Why?" as "Why me?" too.

Guess that phrase is one to put in the "Things NOT to say while having Sex"... next to "Smile: You're on Candid Camera!" :wink:

EDIT: Forgot to say: Great facial expresions Gis. Gotta love the way Michelles face turned out.
The sound of rolling dice
To me is music in the air!
'Cause I'm a gamblin' Boogie Man
Although I don't play fair!
atristain
Keenspot Despot

Postby snowp14 on Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:25 am

Hey, maybe she still is one and he didn't go all the way in, yet. It hurts even before you "pop", you know.

I took the "why" as a "why me?" as well. Virgins generally put a lot of emotional weight into their first time. Stan is looking for some good, casual fun. While he could always disregard her feelings and leave her alone after this, I think Stan has more of a conscience than that.
snowp14
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby kokutan on Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:51 am

I read the 'why' as a lot of questions rolled into one. Losing one's virginity is a big thing, and I think he meant more of a combination of "Why are you still a virgin? Why didn't you tell me? Why choose me of all people?" He's totally shocked, and wants some kind of explanation.

"Um, I mean "wow"." Am I the only one who almost died laughing when I read that?
Well, it made sense in my head.
kokutan
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby iRobot on Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:52 am

I think many of the different question posited here are correct--I don't think that Stan's "Why?" has only a singular meaning. Sometimes when you're flooded with several different thoughts and emotions, the only thing you can stammer is a single word.

"Why did you choose me?"

"Why are you, someone who is amazingly beautiful and desirable, still a virgin?"

"Why didn'you t tell me? (I would have told you slow down and make sure you really want this, or at least make it something you'll be happy to remember for the rest of your life.)"

"Why do I care?"

"Why did you choose me?"
Kyn
-----
No, if I were really a jerk, my sig would contain lots of pictures, tired quotes, insipid "wisdom," brainless "wit," and/or lines of text art. And I would be deluded enough to somehow think that any of that was actually cool.
iRobot
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby iRobot on Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:57 am

kokutan wrote:I read the 'why' as a lot of questions rolled into one. Losing one's virginity is a big thing, and I think he meant more of a combination of "Why are you still a virgin? Why didn't you tell me? Why choose me of all people?" He's totally shocked, and wants some kind of explanation.

You beat me to it by a minute. But I'm glad someone else also sees it that way.

"Um, I mean "wow"." Am I the only one who almost died laughing when I read that?

Nope. :)
Kyn
-----
No, if I were really a jerk, my sig would contain lots of pictures, tired quotes, insipid "wisdom," brainless "wit," and/or lines of text art. And I would be deluded enough to somehow think that any of that was actually cool.
iRobot
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby oddtail on Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:00 am

I agree that "why" is pretty much lots of questions crammed into one, shocked exclamation.

That being said, I like Stan a little less than I used to before reading the strip. I mean, he acts (IMO) like he'd expect all attractive girls roughly his age not to be virgins anymore. It shows a considerable lack of... dunno, imagination perhaps.

What I mean is, Stan apparently likes sex and does it a lot, for fun. I don't think he takes advantage of girls, and his treating sex casually is his choice. But he seems to think (or rather, feel on a subconscious level) that everyone is similar to him in that respect.

So, I read "why" _mostly_ as "why'd you still be a virgin, if you're an attractive girl and you could have and should have scored a long time ago? You missed on all the fun!". This, of course, would be a (sort of) compliment to her if I were right. But then again, it would be quite narrow-minded of him.

On an unrelated note: "um, I mean wow" tells more about the situation than many long-winded dialogues could =).
Last edited by oddtail on Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
oddtail
Keenspotter Supreme

Next

Return to Penny and Aggie