Ding, ding, ding went the trolley.....

The teenage years. Friendships, crushes, growth... and hating. Lots of hating.

Moderators: Gisele Lagace, TCampbell

Forum rules
Penny and Aggie moved to http://www.pennyandaggie.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=1

Postby quitejaded on Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:50 am

Dude, you're stupid.
User avatar
quitejaded
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:06 pm
Location: Texas

Postby Ollie_Vera on Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:19 am

... uh, pardon?
User avatar
Ollie_Vera
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:33 am
Location: WA

Postby TheTeague on Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:31 am

DetrimentalDeity wrote:
JK9000 wrote:
Freemage wrote:So let's go with what we have seen--which is significant both in what's there and what isn't. There's no passion, no really strong show of desire on his part. There IS a lot of emotional distance and insecurity. Does that necessarily add up to 'gay'? No. It DOES suggest, however, that he's carrying around as many 'issues' as Karen--he just does a better job of not displaying them for the world to see.


The hell you seeing this stuff, man? Seriously. Show me, quote me this emotional distance of Marshall's. 'Cuz as far I've seen...

Bam.

Kiss on the cheek, and I've danced closer with girls I had no interest in, and who had no interest in me.

Good for you, but that doesn't make it any less romantic, passionate, or sincere. Last I checked, you usually kiss someone you like as a way of showing affection and being intimate, whether its on the cheek, lips...or elsewhere. Though, I do love how the previous panels were overlooked. I mean who goes on dates and spends time together alone, anymore?

Also, had you paid more attention, you'd know that was their first date and that Marshall and Karen had just met. In the previous strip, she had just asked him out (to go running), so I'd assume that afterwards they decided to make it an all day thing. And kissing someone on the cheek when you've just met them and this is your first date with them, means that you're interested. Marshall is unsure of people's feelings, therefore he probably didn't want to dive straight into a relationship or go any further without getting to know her first.


Actually, it's a montage of thier first few weeks together, unless both of them feel the need to change thier clothes and hair several times a day.
Image
User avatar
TheTeague
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:15 am

Postby Freemage on Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:58 pm

DetrimentalDeity wrote:
JK9000 wrote:The hell you seeing this stuff, man? Seriously. Show me, quote me this emotional distance of Marshall's. 'Cuz as far I've seen...

Bam.

Freemage wrote:Kiss on the cheek, and I've danced closer with girls I had no interest in, and who had no interest in me.

Good for you, but that doesn't make it any less romantic, passionate, or sincere. Last I checked, you usually kiss someone you like as a way of showing affection and being intimate, whether its on the cheek, lips...or elsewhere. Though, I do love how the previous panels were overlooked. I mean who goes on dates and spends time together alone, anymore?


Actually, the placement of the kiss IS a pretty good indicator of the passion and romance involved. I kiss female FRIENDS on the cheek.

Also, had you paid more attention, you'd know that was their first date and that Marshall and Karen had just met. In the previous strip, she had just asked him out (to go running), so I'd assume that afterwards they decided to make it an all day thing. And kissing someone on the cheek when you've just met them and this is your first date with them, means that you're interested. Marshall is unsure of people's feelings, therefore he probably didn't want to dive straight into a relationship or go any further without getting to know her first.


If YOU had paid more attention, you would've noted the bit about the number of outfits, and so realized that, as Teague pointed out, it's a series of dates--the fourth, at the very least.



Freemage wrote:If they were standing, they could pass the classic "shine a light between them" test that used to be insisted upon by chaperones in a more genteel age. Look at the body language--he's facing the ceiling, she is facing him.

Doesn't make it any less romantic, he's spending some time with the girl he likes. Also, as we've seen, Marshall isn't ready for sex yet, so its quite normal for him to play it safe and avoid placing himself within temptation. His body language suggests "We're just talking, enjoying each others company, but this isn't going any further."[/Quote]

Again, if he's remotely 'tempted' by Karen, he doesn't do much to communicate that fact to her.


Freemage wrote:You seem to have stopped reading this right after the grope. Note that even with that lead-in, he's simply not thinking on that level, at all, until Karen re-introduces it.

Yet he wasn't offended by the grope, nor did he get angry. I could see it as wierd had he said, "Don't touch me like that" or reacted in a similar manner, but he didn't. He didn't mind at all.[/Quote]

But he also didn't pursue it, even verbally. This is more of a neutral comment--it's not that it shows we're right, it's just that this scene doesn't have anything in it that shows we're wrong, either. It DOES establish that she's the sole instigator of any physicality to the relationship, though.


Freemage wrote:Probably the most persuasive of the strips, for your argument, because of the off-camera lines (and I WISH we could have seen him, rather than Aggie, during that exchange). However, again, look at the body language in the background of frame 4. Is he leaning over, embracing her closely, maybe even murmuring something romantic in her ear? No. He's standing ramrod-stiff, hands on her hips, like they're about to waltz.

Really, I don't see the problem with that. That's just your perspective, because I don't see anything wrong with his position or anything questioning about it. So what if they're not passionately making out. He's holding her while she showers him with affection, and I don't think he's complaining either. :smug: [/Quote]

But he's not particularly involved with it, either--if she weren't doing the work, he'd just be standing there.


Freemage wrote:Frankly, this left me unimpressed. Again, it's the sort of thing a good friend might do, as well. He admires Karen, supports her--but he doesn't say anything about how he feels about her. Oh, and by the way--a pedestal is just another form of distance.

That's just you then, because it further proves his point. Couples do support and defend one another, and his words does show how he feels about her, it shows that he obviously thinks highly of and respects her.[/Quote]

Again, this isn't about the fact that he does some things people do in relationships. It's that he's NOT doing several things that most guys DO do--and I'm not talking about sex, or seranades, or anything over-the-top. I'm talking about basic body-language and communication of desire. Part of being in a relationship is letting the other person know what's in your head. Marshall's been failing at that, all along.
User avatar
Freemage
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 1851
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2000 12:00 am
Location: Chicago, IL

 
Previous

Return to Penny and Aggie

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest