My eyes are up here.

The teenage years. Friendships, crushes, growth... and hating. Lots of hating.

Moderators: Gisele Lagace, TCampbell

Forum rules
Penny and Aggie moved to http://www.pennyandaggie.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=1

Guys, if you were in this situation with Karen, you would....

Act the exact same way.
35%
Consider it, but decide against doing anything rash.
35%
Consider it, and let her seduce me.
15%
Like Karen said...Lose control and GO FOR IT!
15%

Total votes : 40

My eyes are up here.

Postby angelkatie9 on Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:20 pm

And the role reversal comes around full circle.

I wasn't sure what I expected out of Marshall but I'm not sure that was it. Considering how pushy Karen's been about the whole sex thing I don't blame him -- but that exact phrase is just hilarious coming from a guy. Normally, I see that sort of thing on ladies' tees at the local Spencer's or something.

Maybe they should make boxers and briefs that say that on the front?

Side note - YAY FINALLY BACK TO KAREN AND MARSHALL! :lol: I was worried this would take forever ~!
angelkatie9
Junior Keenspotter

Postby ria on Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:31 pm

I would honestly probably be the same way. This is from the perspective of someone in a comfortable, committed relationship (where the sex is great, thanks): I hate PDA. No effing way would we be showering together in a public place! I'd be way too uncomfortable and probably pissed at my partner for trying it. Thank goodness I have a partner who's on the same page :)

I don't blame him... and he's actually being fairly restrained (although I don't like the physical force he seems to be using -- granted in panel two, it looks like keeping her hands off of him -- panel four is 'nother story though). I would probably just be stepping out, getting dressed and waiting for her somewhere private where we could talk without sexin' it up in a public place.

And yes, "my eyes are up here" used by a boy is definitely, uh, different ;) and DEFINITELY applicable here. Regardless of what's happening "down there," remember... it doesn't control the whole man. He has reservations and he just had his boundaries majorly violated and it doesn't matter what's on that mind -- he's got a legit, uh, beef with Karen.
ria
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ria on Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:33 pm

... that's panels three and five... it won't let me edit.
ria
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby taotu on Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:34 pm

:D YES! GO MARSHALL!

Not that I want Karen to feel any more self esteem issues, mind you, but- there are smart and stupid ways to deal with those issues. And this is the latter.

She shoulda realize from the start that Marshall takes sex very seriously...
taotu
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Sebastian on Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:35 pm

Well, at least we knows he is not indifferent to her. :wink:
Sebastian
Keenspot Despot

Postby seph2710 on Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:11 am

Pft. Getting a hard-on because ANY girl walks in on you showering and gets as close and personal as Karen is right now means nothing. There is such a thing as male rape after all. The body will act the way the body sees fit as ria said.

That isn't to say he IS indifferent to her, but a little increased blood flow is hardly an indication.
"I see only despair..." -- Ghaleon
"There isn't a problem in the world that can't be solved by throwing lots of ninjas at it"
seph2710
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ria on Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:18 am

Ya, as far as I can tell (as a chick :)) erection basically means: "dude, hot"

It does not necessarily mean: "gimme gimme, gotta have it now now now"

It is entirely possible to feel desire for someone but have that desire checked by other concerns. Which would be the situation Marshall is facing now. Duh, she looks great and it would feel great. But sex is far, far more complicated than that.

Desire is something you feel, and must make the decision to act on. It is not a body-controlling force. Just because you do not act on it does not mean you do not feel it.
ria
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Sebastian on Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:34 am

seph2710 wrote:Pft. Getting a hard-on because ANY girl walks in on you showering and gets as close and personal as Karen is right now means nothing. There is such a thing as male rape after all. The body will act the way the body sees fit as ria said.

That isn't to say he IS indifferent to her, but a little increased blood flow is hardly an indication.

With some of the discussions going around in this board that he show interest in any girl is already something. :)

But my point was, is not that Marshall keep Karen at a distance because he feel no phisical desires. He wants to, too but he choose to not act on his wants.
Sebastian
Keenspot Despot

Postby Sebastian on Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:37 am

about the pool you need to add an option

"i turn the cold water on all the way" :D

That should solve the problem.
Sebastian
Keenspot Despot

Postby Fen on Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:20 am

"oooooh". that cracked me up. really.
I will never understand you. When will I stop trying?
Fen
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Trollroot on Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:10 am

ria wrote:Ya, as far as I can tell (as a chick :)) erection basically means: "dude, hot"

It does not necessarily mean: "gimme gimme, gotta have it now now now"

It can mean just "mmm, I feel good" when you're waking up, or a response to physical sensation.

However, I'd say "My eyes are up here" is not a remotly normal reaction. Methinks the fellow has some issues.
Trollroot
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Sassy-fras on Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:19 am

If I was in a relationship where the comfort level was not on good grounds, yes, I'd be as upset as Marshall. I'd probably react the same way too. I had a funny thought...what if this isn't the first time Marshall has had to fight off advances of a sexual kind? I do recall reading somewhere that lots of people in his school find him attractive. What if he gets harassed a lot and Karen's advancements are just fueling an already boiling pot of frustration?
Marco: Maybe if you showed Dr. Zaius the proper respect, Dr. Zaius would stop showing you the POO! -Josie and the Pussycats-
Sassy-fras
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby atristain on Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:35 am

Sassy just pointed out what it seems the central idea everybody's missing: Marshall is attractive to girls, yes, but he must hate to feel that people are attracted to him only by his looks. Perhaps he's full of being considered a "piece of meat on display" and wants to be treated more like a person. It must hurt him to find out that Karen treats him the same way.

I know a lot of girls that feel the same way.

Oh, and I like the cold water option too.. That would take care of Karen's blush, since it has immediate results to any guy's endowment... :grumble:
The sound of rolling dice
To me is music in the air!
'Cause I'm a gamblin' Boogie Man
Although I don't play fair!
atristain
Keenspot Despot

Postby Sebastian on Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:38 am

Possible explanation on Marshall behavior.

Let say that Charisma IS Marshall's mom and she mmh, how can I put it ? "Sleep around". A lot, this either drove his father away or Marshall never known him. She is even the kind of mother that don't care if a girl share the shower with his son, for example. While Marshall don't hate her for that he don't approve of her attitude and of course act the opposite. This, I think, could fit with the little we have seen of Marshall and Charisma and could open some "interesting" possibilties for the Charisma/aggie's dad relationship.

Comments?
Sebastian
Keenspot Despot

Postby RisingPhoenix on Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:40 am

Apparently, according to the poll I'm in the minority, but let me check - you're interested in her (or ought to be). She's interested in you. Okay, shower sans condom or anything else is not the place to play games, but there are ways of expressing that, frankly, that don't say 'buzz off.' Such as touching, etc. From the guy's perspective, let me assure you that control is pretty easy to find if you actually want to. Of the autonomous reflexes like erections? That's possible (actually pretty hard, but quite doable minus stuff like strangulation). Of where you're going? Really easy.

Now either he's had some past experience he considers traumatic (I doubt he's had an actual encounter with one of those) and is thus 'shocked and traumatized' that some girl is interested in his body, or he is on a goodness kick. You know, clean living, nice to everyone, that sort of a thing. This, by the way, is why good guys finish last - the vast majority of 'good guys' are either jerks, or too insecure to be mean to anyone. Insecurity or a superiorty complex are not attractive traits, males!
RisingPhoenix
Junior Keenspotter

Postby angelkatie9 on Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:22 am

Sebastian wrote:about the pool you need to add an option

"i turn the cold water on all the way" :D

That should solve the problem.

I totally didn't think of that :lol: Funny picture though ---

Karen: But, sweetie, I just ---GWAUGH!
angelkatie9
Junior Keenspotter

Postby StarKruzr on Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:25 am

I'm not sure what is more ridiculous, the comic or the responses to this poll. :roll:
~'Kruzr, CI

FLEET: For Honor, Courage, and Really Big Guns.

Urban's Quills - Stay Sharp
StarKruzr
Keenspot Despot

Postby Richter on Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:08 am

Consider it, but NOT do it in a mens*' showers. At least not AFTER I locked up the place. Too high a chance to get meself into a very embarassing situation. Especially since the mens' locker room still is populated.

Karen is clearly crossing a line here that shouldn't be crossen. Jeez. What the hell does she think backseats of cars are for?
Richter
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby JK9000 on Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:13 am

RisingPhoenix wrote:Apparently, according to the poll I'm in the minority, but let me check - you're interested in her (or ought to be). She's interested in you. Okay, shower sans condom or anything else is not the place to play games, but there are ways of expressing that, frankly, that don't say 'buzz off.' Such as touching, etc. From the guy's perspective, let me assure you that control is pretty easy to find if you actually want to. Of the autonomous reflexes like erections? That's possible (actually pretty hard, but quite doable minus stuff like strangulation). Of where you're going? Really easy.

But doesn't want touching, etc. He wants her to buzz off. I don't think he's wrong to want that- most especcially when there's an audience right outside the door. He doesn't know that, of course, but I can't imagine it'd be hard to guess. Considering he has told Karen he's not interested in a sexual relationship at this time, and she completely ignored him, I think it's only natural for him to be pissed off.
JK9000
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby courdorygrrl on Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:25 am

As far as being a populated mens locker room..take a closer look at panel 2. The other guys have left and took the time to put up an "out of service" sign. Perhaps they think that Marshall needs some life lessons. I'm a girl...and when I was Karen's age I was "pushy" also, but more out of curiosity than out of personal issues with myself, and I wouldn't have hesitated about following a guy I liked into the shower, if the situation ever came up. But I wouldn't have been overly suprised if the guy in question had acted just as Marshall did, dissapointed maybe, but not suprised. But, him using that particular phrase in the last panel is not only unrealistic, it's downright funny. 8)
courdorygrrl
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby atristain on Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:01 am

Richter wrote:Karen is clearly crossing a line here that shouldn't be crossen. Jeez. What the hell does she think backseats of cars are for?

Does Karen have a car? At her age? I thought Marshall walked everywhere as means of doing excercise. :o

Besides, why do they need a friggin' car backseat since they have all those benches? :evilgrin:
The sound of rolling dice
To me is music in the air!
'Cause I'm a gamblin' Boogie Man
Although I don't play fair!
atristain
Keenspot Despot

Postby Enaronia on Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:10 am

courdorygrrl wrote:But, him using that particular phrase in the last panel is not only unrealistic, it's downright funny. 8)

Well, that could be why he said it. To make a point: He's saying the same thing to show her it's the same thing.
Enaronia
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Maritza Campos on Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:03 am

Heheh. Flashback to FANS! Rikk didn't want it, Alisin demanded it.

And before they agreed on a safe word, when she chained him down and gagged him...

"Didn't you NOTICE I wasn't enjoying it???"
"Your co... er, your body did."
Maritza Campos
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Chrysee on Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:15 am

Just look at Marshall in the 4th panel. I really don't think this is even about sex at all. I think he's just so damn worn out and tired of her not -listening- to him. He's made his thoughts of the matter known and, even if they're irrational and Karen doesn't understand them, he's still sticking to his principles. Karen thinks she can change him with enough persistence, but that's not the point. Marshall doesn't -want- to change so her behavior is just going to making him angry. The fact that sex is involved is irrelevant because it was really never about sex to begin with.
Chrysee
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby angelkatie9 on Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:23 am

I agree with Chrysee.

I don't think Marshall would have been half as irritated at Karen at this point if she hadn't been pushing the issue from the first place.

No means no, Karen.

Maybe this event will back her off a little bit. She's offering him the opportunity and he's STILL refusing her - so it's not so much a matter of persuasion anymore.

I can see Karen suffering a bout of self-esteem questioning, though. Since she had low self-esteem to begin with and has done everything to boost her self-image and basically "drown" her old self - having her boyfriend deny her now could be a big slap in the face.

But who knows - maybe she'll be smart and realize that it isn't a lack of interest and just a warning that she really needs to slow down for Marshall.
angelkatie9
Junior Keenspotter

Next

Return to Penny and Aggie