Robotbox & Cactus #26: Brentwood Academy

Robotbox is a robot. Cactus is a cactus. The rest is too confusing to describe. (Okay, it's NOT, but we're lazy.)

Moderator: McBean

Robotbox & Cactus #26: Brentwood Academy

Postby McBean on Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:05 am

I based this episode off some lady who kept calling my house looking for this school. The concept for this episode was a lot funnier in my head, but the execution falls flat. Because of school I wasn't able to fix or rewrite stuff, and it took me weeks to even complete this. Anyways, whatever...
Matt C. "mcbean"
McBean
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby DSRGirl on Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:28 am

I thought it was a pretty decent episode actually, if only because of Ed "Commander Mode" Atlin voicing the kid. I know about getting stupid calls though. Our number is one digit off from the taxi, so people call my house a lot asking for the taxi. That'd make for a pretty funny webtoon.

GRADE: B/B-
Craig, He's Just That Cool

Or.

Craig... He's Just... That Cool... Dawg.
DSRGirl
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tanukitsune on Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:31 am

He touched him... there? I'm not sure where he touched him, but being touched by a cactus is never nice no matter where he touches you...

Unless he knows acupuncture, that is... :P
Having nothing to worry about makes me nervous...
Tanukitsune
Keenspot Despot

Postby Sir Lemming on Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:59 am

That's odd, because I thought this was the best episode in a long time.
Imagehttp://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/265596
I think it's that "ignorance is bliss" part, until the bliss leaves and then you just feel stupid. --Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age)
Sir Lemming
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby UnFan on Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:32 am

Yeah, but you also like Bonus Stage.
UnFan
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Chrono on Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:38 am

Sir Lemming wrote:That's odd, because I thought this was the best episode in a long time.

Same here..I though it was amazingly funny, maybe the best
Chrono
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Brandon Clark on Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:12 am

I think it's safe to say that whenever a webtoon creator calls his work crap it's acually gonna be really good. I was acually laughing a bit at this but maybe that's only because I just finished watching some INSANE cartoon on newgrounds.
Brandon Clark
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby manwithjewels on Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:52 am

I hereby declare this to be my favorite episode of Robotbox and Cactus ever. That's of course different from it being the BEST. EPISODE. EVER! which I will never say other than that one time just now... ever. Anyway, it could have been because it was full of inside jokes and I got everyone of them but I think that's what makes things good in the first place so fuck yeah! Let's see, Mommy Dearest, Space Tree, Kill Bill, Home Movies, some other stuff that we always say that I don't remember where any of it's from. And of course

...the moon.
The moon...
manwithjewels
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Nar on Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:39 am

I also thought this one was the best yet. I laughed several times, sometimes just at small things that weren't intended to be funny. Also, Ed's voice fit that kid perfectly.
And I know that "The Moon" thing means something. i just don't know what...
Nar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby JasterW on Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:49 pm

The voice of Cactus seems different somehow. Are you doing it differently?
ARG! - It's an acronym, probably.
JasterW
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby the Lint Trap Kid on Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:52 pm

Cactus's voice DOES seem to be higher-pitched.

Cactus Pedophilia = creepy

Still funny, tho. Moonfreaks.
the Lint Trap Kid
Junior Keenspotter

Postby OnlyAlienEver on Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:50 pm

Better than the last few super shitty episodes and I laughed a few times. I especially liked how Robotbox killed the kid, but it showed what happened before that anyway. Reminds me of "Pulp Fiction."

Overall, kind of funny. Series still went way downhill after episode 14.
OnlyAlienEver
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby actionwebgamer on Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:11 pm

The strange thing, I don't agree with most of the people here. This episode wasn't funny. Ever since Box of Wine, none have. The moon was a BIT funny, but I didn't laugh. But, I'm only one person, and everyone else liked it so, keep doing what you're doing if you want fans. I bet noone agrees with me that "My Actual Brother" was the best. :(

5/10
actionwebgamer
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby McBean on Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:46 pm

hmm...I'm suprised with most of these posts.

POSTSGRADE: B+
Matt C. "mcbean"
McBean
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Shayne_S on Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:52 pm

I liked it. Made me smile a lot and laugh a few times. I'm also drinking.

These keentoons forums are populated with far too many "This episode is better than that episode" posts. It's moot and boring. This cartoon, however, was not.
Shayne_S
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Pupkin on Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:05 am

manwithjewels wrote:Anyway, it could have been because it was full of inside jokes and I got everyone of them but I think that's what makes things good in the first place so fuck yeah! Let's see, Mommy Dearest, Space Tree, Kill Bill, Home Movies, some other stuff that we always say that I don't remember where any of it's from. And of course...the moon.

I didn't get any of those jokes except one you didn't mention -- "Mr. Show." I was told to watch this episode by Chris and did so. This is the first episode I've seen since the first episode, which I didn't like much (which is why I stopped watching, of course). I thought this episode was all right -- a few funny parts. I like how he kills the kid.

I agree with Shayne_S about the "This episode is better than that episode" posts. It's similar to the extremely stupid critiques that the "American Idol" judges constantly give about how "that was your best performance yet!" and EVERYONE CHEERS LIKE CRAZY, as if that's the best praise that could possibly be given. And the judges say that it was the "best/worst performance we've seen from you" just about EVERY SINGLE TIME. But they usually don't even say "best" or "worst" -- they say "ONE OF THE" best or worst, or "PROBABLY ONE OF THE" best or worst. And they start saying that after they've heard them sing like THREE TIMES, in the early episodes. "That's probably one of the best performances I've seen you give, dude," says Randy in the fourth episode, and the singer is so happy to hear it. As long as someone is definitive about it, I don't mind, though. If you say it's THE BEST or THE WORST, period, that's not moot or boring -- especially when there's been 26 episodes of this show.
Pupkin
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby manwithjewels on Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:04 am

Yay! It's Bobby! He's the hero of the forums, you better believe it. Thanks for coming back to the show, dude. You're the best poster in this whole mess.
The moon...
manwithjewels
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby JasterW on Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:52 pm

actionwebgamer wrote:I bet noone agrees with me that "My Actual Brother" was the best. :(

I agree with you! He says with bias! But everyone else hated it I guess, and that's probably why nobody else has asked me to do anything for them. I can totally voice funny recurring characters. Totally. Totally.

McBean wrote:hmm...I'm suprised with most of these posts.

POSTSGRADE: B+

Ha ha ha ha ha.
JasterW
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby McBean on Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:00 pm

if you want to do a recurring voice, then you should! for real, I'm going to write you into the script.
Matt C. "mcbean"
McBean
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Sir Lemming on Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:45 am

I don't remember anyone particularly disliking "My Actual Brother", and if anything, most people loved the crazy animation scene.
Imagehttp://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/265596
I think it's that "ignorance is bliss" part, until the bliss leaves and then you just feel stupid. --Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age)
Sir Lemming
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby JasterW on Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:07 pm

Sir Lemming wrote:I don't remember anyone particularly disliking "My Actual Brother", and if anything, most people loved the crazy animation scene.

Oh yeah? Huh? Well... um.... thank you. And I was just going off of what the actionwebgamer was saying.

McBean wrote:I'm going to write you into the script.

Weeee!
JasterW
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby IceSage on Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:28 pm

Watch how a better episode comes out later and you're all like, "This one is the best ever!"

And just so that doesn't happen, I think you should arrange for the next one to suck.
Last edited by IceSage on Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IceSage
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby McBean on Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:22 pm

That's what I was trying to do with this episode
Matt C. "mcbean"
McBean
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Zeke on Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:24 am

Can anyone let me in on this "the moon" thing? If it's not kosher to explain stuff in the comment threads, maybe someone could PM me? I thought this one was pretty good, but I'd like to know what the crap was going on.
Zeke
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby actionwebgamer on Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:44 am

There are 2 reasons "the moon" is mildly funny to me...

1. It's random.

2. It appeared in McBean's avatar loooong before it meant anything.
actionwebgamer
Keenspotter Supreme

Next

Return to Robotbox & Cactus