What's this? Even MORE proof! 16 October 2007

It's not just a clever name for a webcomic... okay, it is.

Moderator: chris daily

What's this? Even MORE proof! 16 October 2007

Postby Papuasblya on Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:00 am

It's official. Max is an idiot. Dude, if Alli has an ounce of self-esteem, your romantic future with her is going to be limited to a few photos of her and a wet washcloth. Hint -- don't use the same hand you draw with, or you might be unable to work at your chosen profession.
Three generations of imbeciles is enough.
User avatar
Papuasblya
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:19 pm

Postby ahmus on Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:22 am

actually its still Alli that doesn't have her priorities strait. Max is weary good at pointing out the right things, when he has one of the talks with Alli. He tells her that he know she would get hurt finding out, and since it really should not influent the relationship, between them, being a thing of the past he keept it secret.
I would also think twice about moving in wit Alli if I was Max, the chanec of her going into mental killer mode, every time something from Max's paste surfes... might not be the best survival plan, and especially not fore one as paranoid as Max
QUANDO OMNI FLUNKUS MORITATI.
User avatar
ahmus
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:53 am
Location: Denmark

Postby CodeGuy on Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:34 am

When Max was saying that Alli's sister was crazy, he didn't mean, "Hehe, she's wearing *that* to work? She's so crazy." He meant full blown crazy, to the point that people's lives were in danger. So Alli would definitely be checking the box for "family history of mental illness." And now she's physically attacking him and then turning super sweet the next time she sees him?

Sorry Papuasblya, but there's more to the world than sex. Sure, she's agreeable right now, but what happens next month when she's throwing furniture at him and telling him to get out? They need to settle this stuff now.

If it ends with sorting out the problems that Alli's having, great. If it ends with the relationship ending, that's a whole lot better than ending with the police being called. I like Max and Alli being together, but the stupidest thing in the world would be to ignore the crazy parts just because she happens to be happy at this particular moment.
User avatar
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 616
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2001 12:00 am
Location: LA,CA,USA

Postby atristain on Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:20 am

Damion: Could you be so nice to lend me Control Group for a sec?

* Slaps Alli with CG *

Thanks Damion, hope that get some sense into that dense head of yours...

Sorry, Papuasblya, but Alli is the one at fault here. Max didn't told her because it was of NO consequence in their relation.

Would you feel comfortable with your SO telling you all the details about his/her sex life before meeting you? That would make any normal person uncomfortable. Max knew this and didn't told anything about what happened with Kim because he respects Alli, and knew that it would hurt her.

Alli is completely wrong this time and I hope Max's leaving works as a bucket of cold water and helps her get back to her senses, and not start acting like a beeyatch as she uses to do when Max doesn't do things as she likes.

I hope Rae or Em talks some sense in that thick skull of hers, before she confronts Max again.

If she had thought about what she did, apologized with Max and everyone else and then and only then she asked Max to move with him, that would have worked Ok. In the mean time, she's just a Psycho girl acting randomly and not caring if she passes over anyone who crosses her way.
The sound of rolling dice
To me is music in the air!
'Cause I'm a gamblin' Boogie Man
Although I don't play fair!
User avatar
atristain
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 1571
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Mexico, Mexico, Mexico

Postby Cyberbard on Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:40 am

Good grief, what a mess. Neither one of them are handling this very well. The only thing that could clear this up quickly would be for Alli to spill the whole Kim/abortion thing, immediately and without mincing words. If nothing else, that will "reset" the conversation very quickly.

Also, Max's sexual history *is* Alli's business, very much so. The fact that Max has a highly promiscuous person like Kim in his roster (even if it didn't amount to anything), is very much Alli's business! A couple as intimate as Max and Alli should have aired *all* of this type of thing a long time ago. This is going to create some difficult trust issues, given that Alli is very sencetitive about Kim. And if the emotional fallout isn't enough, consider the physical one! Someone with Kim's history is a prime candidate for being an AIDS carrier! (Or one of the other long term STD's.) Need I say more?

Sorry Max, you should have told her. I can understand your logic for not telling her, but she has a better case. Bad form old boy. Very bad form.

Now that I'm finished scolding Max...

Bringing up Naomi was a low blow, but as CodeGuy stated, that's not something Max can ignore. The vicious streak the dominated Naomi apparently runs in Alli as well, though she works hard to keep it in check.

In the last panel, Max says he wants to be alone. I assume he meant for the moment, and not forever. He needs to cool off. Ally, however, is likely to take it to mean forever, which means another load of trouble for these two. Max probably doesn't want to co-habitate with Alli yet, because they still have things to address. Alli, however, is trying to rush things.

It will be interesting to see what happens next.
Cyberbard
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:19 am

Postby Cyberbard on Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:52 am

atristain wrote:Would you feel comfortable with your SO telling you all the details about his/her sex life before meeting you? That would make any normal person uncomfortable. Max knew this and didn't told anything about what happened with Kim because he respects Alli, and knew that it would hurt her.


This is a very uncomfortable thing, yes. When my then-fiance and I went through that talk, it was hell on wheels! But it needs to be done, and lies of omition are not welcome. Sooner or later, that kind of thing surfaces, as the current story line demonstrates. I just think that Max and Alli should have covered all of this stuff by now. It's a trust thing.

Max and Alli now have the, uh, "opportunity" to bring this sort of stuff into the open and repair their relationship.

atristain wrote:I hope Rae or Em talks some sense in that thick skull of hers, before she confronts Max again.


Definitely! Someone send those ladies a page, quickly!

After seeing Alli melt down at the comic store, Em is probably asking "WTF?!?" Em is likely to approach Max first, given their long (platonic!) history, but even that should start putting things right.

Interesting times ahead.
Cyberbard
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:19 am

Postby Sebastian on Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:20 pm

My 2 cents

1 cent, Alli is wrong here, aside for the already mentioned reasons, because living together is a choice they should take together, not something that he is presented to him as an already done decision, of course Max is getting defensive, it is like she is forcing him to take the next step in their relationship, what's next? Telling him the date of their wedding and to be ready?

2 cent, in Alli's defense, her reaction at the comic shop is a little more conprensible if you consider the pregnancy, Max don't know about it, but Alli did and she believed (wrongly) that he knew of it, hence her anger, one thing is not to say that some day, in the past, before you were together you slept with someone, another is not to say that you almost had a child with her.
Sebastian
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 2565
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2000 11:00 pm
Location: Italy

Postby archipelago71 on Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:50 pm

Sebastian wrote:2 cent, in Alli's defense, her reaction at the comic shop is a little more conprensible if you consider the pregnancy, Max don't know about it, but Alli did and she believed (wrongly) that he knew of it, hence her anger, one thing is not to say that some day, in the past, before you were together you slept with someone, another is not to say that you almost had a child with her.


In Max's defense, Alli didn't need to go ballistic on him the way she did. He4r anger is the real issue at hand. She handled it *very* poorly. Then she suddenly thinks all is okay and he would want to move in with her? I hope that Max isn't moving in.
"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together - mass hysteria!" Dr. Peter Venkman
archipelago71
Junior Keenspotter
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:44 pm
Location: Portland, Maine

Postby Papuasblya on Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:19 pm

Yes, Alli is being stupid. She's a woman. That's her job, prerogative, right, whatever.

I'm not saying Max is an idiot because Alli's right or correct in the things she says and does. I'm saying he is an idiot for expecting her to be right or correct. How smart can the girl be? After all, she's been sleeping with Max on and off for seven years worth of strips -- and he's an idiot.
Three generations of imbeciles is enough.
User avatar
Papuasblya
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:19 pm

Postby The Hop Goblin on Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:26 am

I've been looking in on these forums every now and again, yet never thought of anything incredibly interesting to post on until now.

I've always thought that the attitudes towards sex, the sexually-unashamed, sex in congruence with relationships that are found on these boards so very interesting. From dogging on folks who would dare have a threesome to 'test drive' bisexuality to whether or not sexual history could/should be discussed with your partner. I'm not sure if its merely an age/maturity/life experience thing, or I've wandered into the lands of the conservative, or perhaps my own view just makes some of the opinions border on the ridiculous.

For the typical vanilla relationships, especially ones that inherantly suffer the needs of "space" and "individuality" (the ones that typically fail), the reactions here are spot on. Sex is an interesting subject - I myself have discussed sexual history at length with my soon-to-be-wife. I find it terribly interesting, and infact, exciting. However most insecure people take that, compound it with obsession and jealousy, and turn it into the high-drama you see with Alli. The questions that invariably go through her head are "was she better?" "is he more attracted to her than me?" and the ever-popular "if she was better, and he finds her more attractive, when is he going to cheat on me?". Though, I don't really see how pregnancy, unless there is an actual (living) child involved should make any difference.

Sexual history should always be shared by someone you intend on spending the rest of your life with. Regardless if they aren't married currently, they are 'in love' and the logical goal for dating/love is marriage. So rather than perform the whole trite song and dance, lying and omitting facts - its alot easier and emotionally safer to just have a discussion; even if its broken up into small pieces for those with extensive sexual history. 115% honesty, no lies, no omitting, no "for your feelings' sake". Would I take the stance that its her right to know? Absolutely not. She has no business demanding what is not given. And if it is not given freely then its not truly the gift of honesty and trust. Should she have gone off the deep-end and attacked him over past (imagined) transgressions? No, its her mental/emotional issue - she can handle it like a mature, logical adult. Neither are really in the wrong in their feelings- its a compatability issue that either needs to be compromised on, or a pragmatic decision made whether or not to waste time on a mate that isn't a true match. However if you feel the need to attack your mate over an incident that didn't happen on 'your watch', then perhaps you need to re-evaluate the investiture of your feelings and if the situation is for you any longer.

Max, for once, stood up for himself. She was off-center, especially with the comical choke-scene. He made some very good points, and its time for her to do a little growing up, (I'm not sure this was ever discussed, but I'm assuming that the cast of characters range from 18-26). Typical post-highschool drama.

In finale`, I would like to extend a congratulations to the artist - as their style and skill has grown incredibly for the past 7 years (going even 6 months beats out most web-comic artists' resolve). I would also like to point out that unlike most other web-comic artists, this artist does not succumb to the foppish sense of over-importance that most do; complaining about lack of comments/compliments - threatening to take down or taking down the site and rename it (as certain other webcomic artists have done in the past). Again, congratulations on both Striptease, and Punch`n`Pie.
The Hop Goblin
Junior Keenspotter
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:00 am

Postby badkittyface on Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:33 am

hahahaz... my first reaction upon finishing this strip was a "hell yeah" with a fist in the air. Alli wasn't even 100% sure that Max had slept with Kim before he started strangling him and screaming at him. who needs a girlfriend like that?

you would think that Max and Alli would have had the couple's talk - who's slept with who and who's been tested and whatnot - by now, but apparently STDs don't exist in this comic. either that, or they're both too stupid to make sure they're not crudding themselves up before they start screwing. brilliant!
User avatar
badkittyface
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:45 am

Postby MURPHYCHACHO on Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:03 am

Papuasblya wrote:Yes, Alli is being stupid. She's a woman. That's her job, prerogative, right, whatever.

I'm not saying Max is an idiot because Alli's right or correct in the things she says and does. I'm saying he is an idiot for expecting her to be right or correct. How smart can the girl be? After all, she's been sleeping with Max on and off for seven years worth of strips -- and he's an idiot.


Don't pull the feminist card here. No one said that she's stupid because she's a woman. She's stupid because she's a goddamn MORON. (FYI, I'm a woman and even I think she's being a dumbshit.)

And your reasoning of 'Max should realize she's dumb' hardly works.
"Honesty is the best policy." -Miguel de Cervantes

"Liars prosper." Anonymous

Here's to you,
Here's to me.
Best of friends we'll always be.
But if by chance we disagree,
To hell with you! Here's to me!
User avatar
MURPHYCHACHO
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:32 am
Location: In college, making my plans...

Postby CodeGuy on Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:37 am

Papuasblya wrote:I'm not saying Max is an idiot because Alli's right or correct in the things she says and does. I'm saying he is an idiot for expecting her to be right or correct. How smart can the girl be? After all, she's been sleeping with Max on and off for seven years worth of strips -- and he's an idiot.


So, Max is an idiot...

because Ally isn't smart...

because she's sleeping with Max...

which is dumb because he is an idiot.

Papuasblya, that's pretty much the definition of circular reasoning. You haven't actually show him to be doing anything unintelligent.

I agree with Cyberbard that Max should have handled this better. Alli does have some right to know about the relationship with Kim, and they should have talked about all this stuff before now. But your original assertion was that Max was an idiot because he didn't immediately jump at "24-hour access to Alli's Valley of Poon-Dally". Considering the more important stuff that's going on here, that's really not the intelligent way for Max to approach the issue.
User avatar
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 616
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2001 12:00 am
Location: LA,CA,USA

Postby Cyberbard on Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:04 am

The Hop Goblin wrote:I've always thought that the attitudes towards sex, the sexually-unashamed, sex in congruence with relationships that are found on these boards so very interesting. From dogging on folks who would dare have a threesome to 'test drive' bisexuality to whether or not sexual history could/should be discussed with your partner. I'm not sure if its merely an age/maturity/life experience thing, or I've wandered into the lands of the conservative, or perhaps my own view just makes some of the opinions border on the ridiculous.


Speaking only for myself, I'm 40, married with one child, and living in a small town in north-central Virginia. I'm probably well into the conservative camp when it comes to sexual relationships. I generally think you should keep your fly zipped (guys) and your feet firmly on the floor (gals), unless you plan to have a long-term or permanent relationship with the other person. End of line.

The emotional complications from sex can have some nasty long-term effects that can show up in ways one could never anticipate. It's generally better to just avoid that problem entirely. Look at the current story. Alli's insecurity over Kim could potentially derail an otherwise functional and promising relationship.

Now for the disclaimers. Some people just lack the emotional depth to have any problems with casual sex; they don't have enough character for problems to take root. Chip would be an example of such a person, at least thus far, but even he is showing signs of growing up. Kim has nymphomania, a psychological disorder, which puts her in a totally different situation. As for Rae, well, I don't pretend to understand the dynamics of homosexual relationships, so I'm not really qualified to speak on that one. But I will say that Haven seems to be a good sort, and it's nice to see Rae happy again, especially after that third-degree burn she received a few months ago.

My views are prudish, I know. But I'm sticking with them. Since these are fictional characters, I'll cut them some more slack. I do hope Max and Alli can work this out, because they generally seem to have a good thing going. Such things can be overcome. For example, Tom has some deep emotional issues, but he and Em have worked things out nicely. Sure, things were scary there for a while, but it worked out.

I swear that just about every couple has a near breaking point before everything finally falls into place. Max and Alli may be at that point.

Anyway, enough from this grumpy, 40-year-old prude.

:D

Cyberbard

Stay off my lawn! :x
Cyberbard
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:19 am

Postby Papuasblya on Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:07 am

Look, I don't mind if you guys insist on being mature and well-reasoned, but if I don't start getting some ad hominem -- preferably vicious and poorly spelled -- attacks I'm going to report you to the administrator.
Three generations of imbeciles is enough.
User avatar
Papuasblya
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:19 pm

Postby Radbaron on Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:56 am

Papuasblya wrote:Look, I don't mind if you guys insist on being mature and well-reasoned, but if I don't start getting some ad hominem -- preferably vicious and poorly spelled -- attacks I'm going to report you to the administrator.


U steenk!

:)
Image
Radbaron
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:03 pm
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, MWG

Postby CodeGuy on Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:05 am

Poopy-head!
User avatar
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 616
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2001 12:00 am
Location: LA,CA,USA

Postby chris daily on Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:42 am

Papuasblya wrote:Look, I don't mind if you guys insist on being mature and well-reasoned, but if I don't start getting some ad hominem -- preferably vicious and poorly spelled -- attacks I'm going to report you to the administrator.


I don't think anyone is attacking you personally, Papu, just bringing up concerns with your comments and some things you say. That's fine. A typical discourse for a topic of this nature is bound to rile a few feathers. So don't take it personally. Everyone gets your opinion, and you are welcome to express it. Just know that everyone might not agree.

And well done to everyone talking about this. I'm glad that we're getting some good discourse in the forums again. Cyberbard, you brought up some really interesting character points as far as where the characters are in their sexual nature. You kinda hit the nail on the head in some cases. The relationships drive the stories in this strip, and sexual nature is a big part of that. Also, I don't think you are a curmudgeon by any sort, and always look forward to different views and opinions on topics brought up by the comic. Hop Goblin, you made some really good points as well. Almost felt like a therapy session! You also hit on a lot of good points as to why Alli might have reacted the way she did. I agree with you completely that some discussions verge on the ridiculous, and in a realistic setting, a lot of these relationships would be done a long time ago, or resolved quickly. But as you probably undersand, the "song and dance" is part of the fun. It's part of the fiction that I'm playing with, the whole situational comedy of errors, while trying to keep the heart of the matter...in reality.

keep up the good talk.
Striptease!
your new guilty pleasure.
Image
User avatar
chris daily
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 511
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:17 pm
Location: far away from you

Postby CodeGuy on Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:05 pm

poopy-head
User avatar
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 616
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2001 12:00 am
Location: LA,CA,USA

 

Return to Striptease

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest