so waht happened chris?

It's not just a clever name for a webcomic... okay, it is.

Moderator: chris daily

so waht happened chris?

Postby Something-To-Say on Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:51 pm

is there a specific reason why the friday may 19th comic came up june 12. you're near a month behind, man. If you got a good reason that's cool, but is it just falling behind or what?
Something-To-Say
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby CodeGuy on Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:51 pm

On the main page there's a newsbox under the comic. It describes how Chris has a lot of work stuff slowing him down right now.

If you'll look through the archives, this is not the first time this has happened. There are lots of gaps where comics weren't updating. Most of those were for job related reasons too. His work is seasonal, and he has a busy time of the year.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby atristain on Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:59 am

Bring me the head of Chris on a steak...err...skate...err...stick? Whatever.

Seriously, I hope he gets back in action soon. At least he left us with a pretty funny strip and to wonder what will be next. Also, his hiatus are not as bad as some other people.

* Checking sites *

Yay! Framed! is back.

* Happy dance *
The sound of rolling dice
To me is music in the air!
'Cause I'm a gamblin' Boogie Man
Although I don't play fair!
atristain
Keenspot Despot

Postby sixstringgun on Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:38 pm

"Hiatus" may be the wrong word for RPG world. Perhaps "Promised a continuation, but forgot it even exists" is more appropriate. lol Ian J is bloody HATED on the rpgworld message board now.
sixstringgun
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby CodeGuy on Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:17 pm

I could see that one coming. In the last few months of RPG World I wrote a message suggesting that he should probably wrap up the storyline. Even if he started a new one immediately after, things had been building for awhile and it would get worn out if they went too long. Like those TV shows that never resolve the main plot because they want to stretch the story out for another season.

The other people on the message board hated that idea. They seemed to believe the comic could go on forever without the world ever actually being saved by the hero.

A few weeks after that Ian announced that he was going to wrap up the comic entirely. The storyline got even more focused and he was clearly leading up to an ending, but I guess he got burned out first. I can understand that. In his head he'd probably already figured out where everything was headed and finished the storyline. Sometimes when that happens an author can have trouble working up any enthusiasm and the strip seems more like work than fun.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby sixstringgun on Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:49 am

Yeah. In any case, I don't really blame him. However, it would have been nicer if he had continued work on SOMETHING during that time. Ian J has basically disappeared from the Internet, which is a pity considering his talent.

Now back to Striptease.

I know Chris has said he wants to finish this storyline in colour... but seriously, I'd rather have black and white comics that show up every couple of days than wait another 3 months for this storyline to finish. I understand that he's busy with work, but there are ways to lessen the workload that Striptease represents.

Also, unless he plans on rewarding us with 12 comics at once, he should probably stop dating his comics on the days they were SUPPOSED to come up, and date them for when his comics DO come up. That way, it won't seem like such an insurmountable obstacle. 12 comics is a lot to be backlogged.
sixstringgun
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby CodeGuy on Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:51 pm

sixstringgun wrote:Also, unless he plans on rewarding us with 12 comics at once, he should probably stop dating his comics on the days they were SUPPOSED to come up, and date them for when his comics DO come up. That way, it won't seem like such an insurmountable obstacle. 12 comics is a lot to be backlogged.

Agreed. There's no need to try to fill in the gap, I'd rather have an accurate representation of when the comics appeared.
CodeGuy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby atristain on Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:45 pm

CodeGuy wrote:A few weeks after that Ian announced that he was going to wrap up the comic entirely. The storyline got even more focused and he was clearly leading up to an ending, but I guess he got burned out first. I can understand that. In his head he'd probably already figured out where everything was headed and finished the storyline. Sometimes when that happens an author can have trouble working up any enthusiasm and the strip seems more like work than fun.

The way he was drawing the last strips, it looked like he was having fun drawing them. I think he's recurring to the old "Let them talk well about me, let them talk bad about me. The important thing is that they talk about me" formula. I also think that he hates to think RPG will have to end sometime... There's the same case with Adventurers! Webrunner is really stretching the final sequence. That must be the slowest falling fiery object to ever exist. At this pace, they could have the chance to evacuate, and build a new, bigger Bystandria 50 miles from the place of impact, with an observatory to look the exact moment of impact. (if the people can stay awake long enough)

Back to Chris, I wonder how many layers of color he's pretending to use, since every strip is taking quite awhile... I would love to see something new when there's supposed to be an update... Anything... Well, perhaps not pictures of Bryan posing in a bath suit. :grumble:
atristain
Keenspot Despot

Postby Something-To-Say on Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:13 am

12 at once sucks. maybe 1 a day.
Something-To-Say
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Propellerhead on Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:21 am

It would be easier to get rid of them in one day, it would be easier for Chris, I don't care, the art is great and I want to see what happens next... so from some point of view, it would be kinda good!
Propellerhead
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby daanton on Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:42 am

- Open a channel.
- Hailing on all frequencies, sir.
- Chris Daily, this is the U.S.S. KeenspotForum, come in.
daanton
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby HiFranc on Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:00 am

daanton wrote:- Open a channel.

For some reason I thought of "Open Channel D" when I read that line.
Francisco
I read several webcomics.
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Radbaron on Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:05 am

No wonder Uhura never got promoted, Kirk would ask her to "open A channel" ie. ONE , and she would broadcast to the entire fleet.... not to mention the Klingons, Romulans, Tholians, Borg ..........
Radbaron
Keenspotter Supreme

Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, MWG

Postby daanton on Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:52 am

Radbaron wrote:No wonder Uhura never got promoted, Kirk would ask her to "open A channel" ie. ONE , and she would broadcast to the entire fleet.... not to mention the Klingons, Romulans, Tholians, Borg ..........

We would all assume they'd be listening in on StarFleet's frequencies!
daanton
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby atristain on Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:34 am

HiFranc wrote:
daanton wrote:- Open a channel.

Sorry, but I'm getting nothing but static. Static into my attic from Channel Z. :wink:

Back on topic, at this pace, it looks like Chris will have to change his last name to 'Sporadically'... :smug:
atristain
Keenspot Despot

Postby HiFranc on Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:01 am

atristain wrote:
HiFranc wrote:[...]

Sorry, but I'm getting nothing but static. Static into my attic from Channel Z. :wink:

So you've seen The Man from UNCLE as well? ;-)
Francisco
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby atristain on Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:59 am

HiFranc wrote:
atristain wrote:
HiFranc wrote:[...]

So you've seen The Man from UNCLE as well? ;-)

I saw it 25+ years ago, so excuse if I feel like a B52 dropped an IDGIT bomb on me.

IDGIT = I Don't Get It
atristain
Keenspot Despot

Postby HiFranc on Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:00 pm

Whenever one of the two UNCLE agents we followed wanted to report/question base they took the top off their pen and then said into the microphone, "Open Channel D". A moment later they would hear someone from HQ.
Francisco
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby daanton on Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:13 am

Well, then, I take everyone here doesn't watch STAR TREK...

Anyway, where is Chris Daily these days, and can he continue to devote the time to the webcomic as he did before?
daanton
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Propellerhead on Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:18 am

He's going to do a KeenCAST interview with T. Campbell, so I guess we're not gonna hear from him for a while? Why not complain about anorexia, make more pointless game threads or maybe make some fanart? Let's sing some songs eat ice cream and chips to kill some time!
Propellerhead
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby daanton on Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:24 am

Propellerhead wrote:He's going to do a KeenCAST interview with T. Campbell, so I guess we're not gonna hear from him for a while? Why not complain about anorexia, make more pointless game threads or maybe make some fanart? Let's sing some songs eat ice cream and chips to kill some time!

Anorexia? Wrong thread, dude. Wrong forum, even.
daanton
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Propellerhead on Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:09 am

That doesn't men we can't eat ice cream with chips... :wink:
Propellerhead
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby HiFranc on Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:19 pm

daanton wrote:Well, then, I take everyone here doesn't watch STAR TREK...

It's been a while since I've seen TOS. Both TNG and Voyager were more efficient with a simple command like "On Screen."
Francisco
HiFranc
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby daanton on Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:24 pm

HiFranc wrote:
daanton wrote:Well, then, I take everyone here doesn't watch STAR TREK...

It's been a while since I've seen TOS. Both TNG and Voyager were more efficient with a simple command like "On Screen."

I know. When Captain Kirk says "on screen", it took a little while longer. As if his futuristic timeline was more archaic than Picard's...
daanton
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby daanton on Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:32 am

Finally saw this today on the STRIPTEASE site:
http://www.keenspot.com/data/news-strip ... pr2006.gif

Shame that it would ever turn out to be no longer true....
daanton
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Next

Return to Striptease