What's with all the Evil Bisexuals?

It's not just a clever name for a webcomic... okay, it is.

Moderator: chris daily

What's with all the Evil Bisexuals?

Postby gwenicus27 on Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:43 am

Love the comic in general, but there are only two bisexual characters, and since today's big "reveal," both they're both bad people. Come on. The Evil, Promiscuous Bi-Chick is a trope that is not only insulting, but it's been done to death. It seems like even "gay-friendly" people feel like it's ok to make use of prejudiced and stereotyped ideas about bisexuality. Chris, I have full confidence in your ability to tell an engaging story without falling back on caricatures. You can do better.
gwenicus27
Junior Keenspotter

Re: What's with all the Evil Bisexuals?

Postby atristain on Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:15 am

Jessica Rabbit wrote::I'm Not Bad, I'm Just Drawn that Way

Well now I'm curious, for starters: Looks like they both have planned this for a looong time. That gets me wondering what could Rae have done to her/them for her to want revenge that much?

And who is that guy?

Looks like our favourite redhead is working the way they expected.

And you should be glad that tehy didn't kidnap her... Oh, wait: That's Alli's job! :smug:
The sound of rolling dice
To me is music in the air!
'Cause I'm a gamblin' Boogie Man
Although I don't play fair!
atristain
Keenspot Despot

Re: What's with all the Evil Bisexuals?

Postby chris daily on Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:46 am

gwenicus27 wrote:Love the comic in general, but there are only two bisexual characters, and since today's big "reveal," both they're both bad people. Come on. The Evil, Promiscuous Bi-Chick is a trope that is not only insulting, but it's been done to death. It seems like even "gay-friendly" people feel like it's ok to make use of prejudiced and stereotyped ideas about bisexuality. Chris, I have full confidence in your ability to tell an engaging story without falling back on caricatures. You can do better.

I appreciate your faith...

and I will say this: wait until it plays out. Naomi, while ambiguously bi, was evil, it's true. And now it seems that we've seen Haven's true colors for being apparently evil... maybe. But just because she was flirting with this guy doesn't mean she's bi, does it? It's a commentary on a few fronts. Rae, falling into her own traps of being attracted to potentially abusive Lesbians, or Bisexual girls that are more dominant. It's unfortunate for her, but fortunate for the storyline, that they turn out to be evil. It's only a secondary condition that those two characters were gay or bi. They were written to be a foil for the plot, and if the plot happened to involved romantic entanglement with another character, their traits would change to match that, including their sexuality if need be.

That means Not all of the gay or bi characters in the strip are "evil," and not all of the "evil" characters are gay or bi. Who's to say that Rae, or Marie, or Mikayla isn't really Bi, even having admitted to thinking she's gay? Maybe we'll find out, maybe not.

Obviously I don't have anything against bisexual characters or I wouldn't include them. I'm creating some plot points, and if I happen to use clichés, hey, it wouldn't be the first time. Evil twins, kidnapping, evil British guy? Rival gangs? I like using the stereotypes people have seen and expect, but also like turning that on it's side a bit after you think you know what's going on.

and I used to do caricatures, so it's okay to fall back on them as far as I'm concerned.
Striptease!
your new guilty pleasure.
chris daily
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Striptease