8/14/08 Comic Discussion

It's not just a clever name for a webcomic... okay, it is.

Moderator: chris daily

8/14/08 Comic Discussion

Postby The Hop Goblin on Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:46 am

While I'm normally a fan of this comic, I feel that the most recent comic (8/14/08 edition - Chip & Thyme to Die members wanting to borrow Chip's costume) reinforces certain stereotypes. Alternative and Open sexualities on this forum (in reference to Striptease, the comic) have, in the past, leaned towards the judgemental and demeaning - and I think this comic will fuel this. It maintains that the guy gets his kicks, and the only reason the girl is along for the ride is due to lack of intelligence (in this case, towards the absolute vaccuous), or lack of self-confidence.

As formerly being a part of an alternative/open relationship with my wife (she passed away from cancer recently), I can assure you there is a different side of the coin that isn't presented here, nor in this comic to date. I'm not sure if this is the actual opinions or agendas by Chris Daily, or a coincidence. The only reason I bring it up was the rowe caused by the one-night stand for Rae some months back, and what a scumbag the boyfriend was for having his girlfriend 'fish' for prospective 3-some partners.

Any other thoughts?
The Hop Goblin
Junior Keenspotter

Re: 8/14/08 Comic Discussion

Postby Cyberbard on Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:44 am

I think there is more to this that what we've seen thus far. I think the relationship between Stasha and her "boyfriend" is an abusive one, at least emotionally, and we're just seeing the surface of it. I do indeed think that the guy gets his kicks from this sort of thing, and if Stasha doesn't play along, well, she just gets kicked.

But this could go a number of ways. I'm going to wait until more facts come in.
Cyberbard
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Freemage on Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:38 am

The key question is this: How many non-traditional relationships are being shown, and how many of those are shown in a negative light?

If it's only one, then declaring it to be somehow 'representative' of all non-trads is a bit much. If there's a lot, and just this one is being shown as toxic, then that's not really a crime, either.

Mind you, I have a problem with this couple's portrayal, myself. (I dislike rapists, and yes, Sasha is a rapist--if it had been a guy sexing up drunken Rae, there'd be no question about how people would view the actions from that night--but somehow, being a chick makes it just 'taking advantage'. The retching sound you hear is my inner feminist vomiting at the notion.)
Freemage
Keenspot Despot

Postby atristain on Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:37 am

The Hop Goblin wrote:It maintains that the guy gets his kicks, and the only reason the girl is along for the ride is due to lack of intelligence (in this case, towards the absolute vaccuous), or lack of self-confidence.

Well Sasha has shown that she's too dependant of that @$$ of a boyfriend she has, and she was not too bright when she presented the "once in a lifetime" menage-a-3 opportunity offer to Rae. I already disliked these two, but Chris just made me hate them even more.

Glad to see Chip has matured after all this years. I really like him now even more.

The Hop Goblin wrote:As formerly being a part of an alternative/open relationship with my wife (she passed away from cancer recently)

Sorry to hear about that...
The sound of rolling dice
To me is music in the air!
'Cause I'm a gamblin' Boogie Man
Although I don't play fair!
atristain
Keenspot Despot

Return to Striptease