Kim & Chip : Whisky Tango Foxtrot?

It's not just a clever name for a webcomic... okay, it is.

Moderator: chris daily

Kim & Chip : Whisky Tango Foxtrot?

Postby Cyberbard on Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:37 am

The subject line says it all. I've never cared for these two, but this one has me baffled. Chip is pretty much a total jerk. I don't think he's irredeemable, but he's pretty close. He's also a total horn-dog, and Kim is a recovering nymphomaniac.

Check out the line of red flags over there!

It looks like they are using each other in various ways. That can be very damaging for both parties. Even if both people know they are being "utilized," the emotional fallout can be very ugly.

There I go again, talking about emotional complications. I'm such a broken record. (I assume some people remember that expression?)

:lol:

In in interest of fairness, it could be that Chip really does care for Kim, and is trying to form a mature relationship with her. But, because of his history, he lacks the social skills to handle things the way many men would. Rounding up clients for her was the only way he could think of to maintain her attention.

Kim, for her part, is probably confused and lonely right now. She wants to belong somewhere (preferably with someone), but her history keeps coming back to haunt her. A history like Kim's is hard to work around, especially in the law profession. Does she have any romantic feelings for Chip? I honestly doubt it, but I could be wrong. She certainly feels some gratitude, and may not know how to express it.

Whatever the case, it will be interesting to see the rest of this thread unfolds.

I also want to thank our Host for making me give a toot about two characters I really dislike.

:lol:

So sayeth the resident curmudgeon.
(get off my lawn)
Cyberbard
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby chris daily on Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:08 pm

no problem CB.

I wanted to explore their romantic past just a bit. A few other people wanted to know why they got together as well. They're clearly having some problems in the "present", as Chip's maturity level and Kim's decision to abstain from any sex is causing tension on both sides. Living together works for some people like Max and Alli. Chip and Kim's shows what happens when it backfires for couples. this brief storyarc will shed some new light as to why they clicked, and maybe what's missing now that they don't.
Striptease!
your new guilty pleasure.
chris daily
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby daanton on Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:20 pm

chris daily wrote:no problem CB.

I wanted to explore their romantic past just a bit. A few other people wanted to know why they got together as well. They're clearly having some problems in the "present", as Chip's maturity level and Kim's decision to abstain from any sex is causing tension on both sides. Living together works for some people like Max and Alli. Chip and Kim's shows what happens when it backfires for couples. this brief story arc will shed some new light as to why they clicked, and maybe what's missing now that they don't.

So, guys.... any bets on how this will end up: "problems now but can be resolved" or "what's not meant to be"?
daanton
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Papuasblya on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:43 am

chris daily wrote:no problem CB.

I wanted to explore their romantic past just a bit. A few other people wanted to know why they got together as well. They're clearly having some problems in the "present", as Chip's maturity level and Kim's decision to abstain from any sex is causing tension on both sides. Living together works for some people like Max and Alli. Chip and Kim's shows what happens when it backfires for couples. this brief storyarc will shed some new light as to why they clicked, and maybe what's missing now that they don't.

What's missing is that Chip was born to snake Kim's pipes and she decided for some reason to stop calling a plumber.
Three generations of imbeciles is enough.
Papuasblya
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Cyberbard on Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:16 am

daanton wrote:So, guys.... any bets on how this will end up: "problems now but can be resolved" or "what's not meant to be"?

I'm thinking the later. I don't detect any kind of emotional connection between these two. Just a lot of wild sex.

It certainly looks like Kim fell off the wagon; that would suggest a few weeks of near constant sex. I'm sure it was fun for both, but it can result in burn-out; today's strip suggests that such has happened. Purely physical relationships tends to fizzle once the sex drive runs down, or the novelty wears off.

I'm going to wager than this relationship is on the off-ramp. It might be salvageable, but that would require some very mature talking on both sides. And these two are not the most mature people in the phone book. Things aren't looking good for them.
Cyberbard
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby atristain on Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:32 pm

Chip forgot the most important lesson: If you can't control the situation, is time to call for "backup"... :evilgrin:

Not that I think that Kim would complain when she was on her sex driven phase...

Looks like Kim gave Chip an extra compensation for all those years that he spent playing with himself in front of the TV...

I liked the idea of learning more about Chip, since he was a one-dimensional character, until we learned that he can do somthing else with his hands than pleasuring himself. 8)
The sound of rolling dice
To me is music in the air!
'Cause I'm a gamblin' Boogie Man
Although I don't play fair!
atristain
Keenspot Despot

Feb 7

Postby Cyberbard on Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:39 am

Regarding the Feb 7th strip...

This will probably end badly for both of them. It's just a question of how badly.

OTOH, Kim's dragon tat is pretty neat. :D
Cyberbard
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby daanton on Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:27 pm

Either it's the end for them both, or they go back to their over-abundance of sex... both scenarios they seem to want to avoid.
daanton
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Cyberbard on Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:56 am

Well, I guess that settles that. Kim's calling it quits; Chip looked surprised at her decision. He's probably clueless.

But then again... It's also possible that he's amazed and relieved that Kim wants to break up. He may have come to the same decision. I like to think he's matured enough to reach this level... but I kind of doubt it.
Cyberbard
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Lokisdottir on Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:21 pm

"I've wasted your time being selfish" just may be the six most important words Kim has said in the comic. For all her craziness I've always had a liking for her, and she's matured a lot since her first introduction. I think there's a lot more character growth coming her way.
Lokisdottir
Junior Keenspotter

Re: Kim & Chip : Whisky Tango Foxtrot?

Postby Cyberbard on Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:33 am

Well, that was unexpected. Chip has matured after all. Apparently in his mind, there *was* more to the relationship than great sex. He said he just wanted to be with her; simple words, but they say a lot. Naturally he missed the sex, but he didn't let that spoil whatever other good stuff he and Kim had. I fully expected him to remain a clueless jerk, but apparently he's grown, too. His lack of social skills and experience will still cause him problems, but nothing the average Joe can't overcome.

Kim is in a sad state. Apparently, sex was the only way she could relate to Chip. I'll wager that she was hoping otherwise, but no dice. I think it's ironic that Chip was able to relate to Kim without sex, but Kim couldn't relate to chip in any way except sex. It's probably a simple case of incompatible personalities.

I guess this could be considered a bittersweet ending. It could have been tragic, but I'll call it bittersweet because (and please pardon the cliche), both Kim and Chip are better people now. Chip apparently has matured somewhat; he still lacks the social skill to express it, and he's still "processing" it, but he has grown. He's not just an obnoxious stock character anymore. Kim still needs to work on her own issues, but she's painfully aware of them, and is more determined than ever to get better. Growing pains don't stop at 18.

Once again, our Host has done some cool character development, and deserves another round of kudos.
Cyberbard
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Striptease