Glasses

Grab a scotch, Guinness or your favorite bottled water, put your feet up and relax. This is the Off-topic pub for the Wapsi fans. Cigar smoking is allowed.

Moderator: pablo

Please select the option that best describes your opinion:

Women wearing glasses are sexy
68%
Guys wearing glasses are studs
No votes
Glasses are evil inventions
4%
I don't really care whether (s)he's wearing glasses or not
24%
Eh? What are you going on about?
4%

Total votes : 25

Glasses

Postby Ryalyn on Tue May 03, 2005 6:59 pm

Okay, folks, let's try this again and see if it works. :)

Today's comic (3 May 05) started quite a conversation on the regular forum about ladies wearing glasses, with what seemed to me to be a wide variety of opinions. So! I figured a poll would be interesting.

Now, you'll have to forgive my awful questions. I'm new to this whole poll question thingie. At my job, all I do is look at the results from surveys, not the actual questions.

But what do you think? Glasses--an asset or a hindrance?
Unicorn bait

A kitty is a young cat and a canoe is made of plastic and I have no idea what you're all laughing at.
Ryalyn
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tanukitsune on Tue May 03, 2005 8:23 pm

I confess I have a bit of "meganekko" fetish (girls with glasses), but I like them without glasses too... :oops:
Having nothing to worry about makes me nervous...
Tanukitsune
Keenspot Despot

Ladies with optical devices on their pretty noses

Postby Elfbiter on Tue May 03, 2005 9:40 pm

Well, wearing glasses myself, I am possibly biased 8). Lady with glasses can definitely be sexy. However, in these days, I would be more interested on what's behind those glasses - not the mention eyes - and how they behave than what they look like.

As for meganekko (or whatever): IIRC, under the Anime "conventions" anyone with glasses is supposed to smart or studious. So if it means that somebody regards smart people sexy - well, I suppose that 's an improvement.
---
Living is easy with eyes closed.
Elfbiter
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby NorphTehDwarf on Tue May 03, 2005 9:58 pm

Glasses are 'sposed to make you smart? Oh christing god, man. I wear glasses, and believe me, it hasn't made me any calmer, more knowledgeable, or measurably less violent than any of my fellow louts. That said, I think that people should use some form of visual enhancement if they need it, be it glasses or contacts or laser surgery or whatever. It just ticks me off when folks refuse to use either glasses or contacts and just squint at what they're trying to see.
Last edited by NorphTehDwarf on Tue May 03, 2005 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NorphTehDwarf
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Burger Nerf on Tue May 03, 2005 10:15 pm

A smart, beautiful woman: sexy.
A smart, beautiful woman with specs: SECKS-SAY!!

Gamer geeks know what I'm talkin' about. Lara Croft, Julia Chang...when Julia (who was already my favorite Tekken character) started wearing glasses, I went batsh*t crazy. Nina? Psh.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHY, either. I mean, I used to wear them myself, and I didn't find them pleasant at all. (And while I love the results of LASIK surgery, I found the cost even less pleasant, and the experience was...traumatic. It doesn't matter how much valium they give you, or whether or not you feel a thing--there's no getting around that little voice in your head, bellowing: There's a f***ing KNIFE in your eye, jackass! Why aren't you SCREAMING BLOODY MURDER?)

And of course, I laugh hysterically when I imagine two people with glasses on, kissing. clink clink scraaaape oh craps these lenses cost a hundred bucks!

It's just a "thing," I guess. Take a picture of a supermodel. Draw a pair of Clark Kents on her. It may not do a thing for you. Just give it to me and, uh, excuse me for a few minutes.
Burger Nerf
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Elfbiter on Wed May 04, 2005 3:02 am

Another possibility occurred to me. Many people regard ladies with large eyes as attractive (and Anime and Disney are full of large eyes). So, in effect, glasses can make the eyes look bigger. 8)
---
Elfbiter
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby magus9500 on Wed May 04, 2005 4:20 am

Elfbiter wrote:Another possibility occurred to me. Many people regard ladies with large eyes as attractive (and Anime and Disney are full of large eyes). So, in effect, glasses can make the eyes look bigger. 8)

So long as the prescription is not too bad. Smaller glasses are better for people with high prescription values. It avoids the beady-eyed, squeezed-head look, which is usually found in your basic mad scientists.

BTW, this look's not that great either :o

:lol:

Magus
magus9500
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Mravac Kid on Wed May 04, 2005 2:48 pm

I only got one word to say to that:

*Drool*

;)
Ride the Wild Wind - push the envelope, don't sit on the fence
Ride the Wild Wind - live life on the razor's edge
For reasons unknown, I have a LiveJournal - now featuring the Webcomic Pimping Series!
Mravac Kid
Keenspot Despot

Postby azalea2 on Wed May 04, 2005 3:05 pm

Yes, glasses only really make your eyes look bigger if you're farsighted. As for me: I'm very myopic. I used to wear glasses with huge lenses, and they were *not* cute; i looked like an owl with pinpoint eyes. Whenever i took my glasses off, people said "Holy crap, girl, you've got huge eyes! I never knew!"

The smaller the better, as far as lenses go. For big lenses, the view at the edges is so distorted as to be useless (think fisheye lens). Also, smaller lenses are thinner edge-on, which is also a good thing. (First time i got high-index lenses, i was sooo in love with them, because they seemed paper thin to me. They were literally half as thick as my old glasses, and weighed 1/3 less. First week wearing them, a stranger stopped me on the street, and recommended that i get high-index lenses, because they would make my glasses much thinner "and people could see your beautiful eyes better." That sure squashed my bubble of joy, and made me feel blind as a bat.)
You don't know me.
azalea2
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby kinako mochi on Wed May 04, 2005 3:43 pm

Glasses make a girl seem more intellectual. Stress the "seem", as I can left-brain the holes in that logic, but the right-brain meanwhile primes the boy plumbing. :D

All but two of the g/fs I've dated have worn glasses or needed contacts. I've been legally blind since fifth grade. I just have a near-fetish for nerdiness in a girl and can't stand the cheerleader/tan/.25back toyfriend/BMW 3-series/coke-snorting gold-diggers of the dating world. I like girls that can talk authoritatively about fun and interesting things that matter, and carry a conversation about things that don't, rather than the other way around.

I could say more, but it would belong in the sexy room thread. ;)
Then light
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ryalyn on Wed May 04, 2005 7:17 pm

See, I just don't get it. I really don't like to wear my glasses. It's not that they're really big or heavy or anything because I really have a fairly minimal prescription (and I feel really sorry for you, Azalea!). I agree with the whole disliking it when people squint to read instead of wearing glasses or contacts. I had a friend who didn't have insurance and didn't have the money to go to the eye doctor, so when he lost one contact, he just wore the one and saw everything half out of focus for a long time. Until he lost the other contact. And then he wore his glasses, which were missing an arm. That drove me nuts.

I don't like wearing my glasses because the way that they sit on my nose and ears comfortably also means that my eyelashes hit them every time that I blink. It's really annoying. Maybe it's because they've been fitted wrong, I don't know. But I also don't like that my peripheral vision is out of focus and I can see the frames and they slide down my nose and leave dents on my nose and bother my ears.

I've been wearing contacts since I was in the 7th grade. I can put them in while riding buses, without a mirror, and take them out in the dark. I'll probably never bother with surgery because my vision isn't that bad and I'm cheap.

But now, hearing all this, I might just have to start wearing them more often. Maybe I'll actually get some dates!

I'm not all that fond of them on guys, either. I think they can look studious when they do wear them for reading, though. But that's probably just because my little brother (who's a little stud-muffin) wears glasses to read when he's studying.

Goes off to research how glasses should fit her face.
Unicorn bait

A kitty is a young cat and a canoe is made of plastic and I have no idea what you're all laughing at.
Ryalyn
Keenspot Despot

Postby crypto on Wed May 04, 2005 7:40 pm

Ry, sounds like you just need some different frames. Something small and cute that complements you face.

As for me, I've been in glasses since 4th ot 5th grade, and recently when we where going through photos for my grandfathers funeral my dad said I looked like Harry Potter! I had thes ugly ass plastic frames, and I was hard on them. it was like a pair a year, ine year it was like 4. I can't see squat when it comes to distances with out them.

Pair I got now I love, even though they are about 4 years old the lenses are still good, the finish is a little worn but they are comfortable. With out them my eye sight is like 20/50, the left eye being the worst of the pair. That's why I don't go for contacts, the drastic differance.

As for the periferal vision, I didn't realy notice a change. Night vision is like it was day light when I have time to ajust.
Current Goonmanji form:The game board

Infuego wrote:
crypto wrote:
"noskunkonskunkactionforyou".

We can dream can't we? Actually, I'm picturing Skunk on Ellen on Nan on skunk action.

Ooh, best idea I've heard today! Or read, i guess...

Quadraxis wrote:Crypto, your mind is a very disturbing sandwich. The kind of sandwich you decide not to eat and just let rot somewhere unnoticeable.
crypto
Keenspot Despot

Postby PrettyPrincess on Wed May 04, 2005 8:25 pm

I lovelovelove my glasses on me - I have contacts, but the glasses just look so dang cute.

When my husband puts on his glasses, he looks like a little boy.
PrettyPrincess
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Elfbiter on Thu May 05, 2005 9:48 pm

I was trying to refer to the fact that glasses may give an illusion that the eyes are bigger. The lens has to cover most of the user's field of vision, regardless of the specifications of the lens so they are always somewhat bigger than the eye the eyelids reveal.

As for Ryalyn, yes I think that you would have to get better glasses. Whoever sold you those inconvenient ones did not accurately adjust them to your pretty nose and other features.

(Having glasses since the local equivalent to the 3rd grade - I think...)
---
Elfbiter
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby kinako mochi on Thu May 05, 2005 10:12 pm

Oh my gosh -- Zooey Deschanel in Hitchhiker's Guide as Trillian in the beginning of the movie
Then light
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby amazon princess on Fri May 06, 2005 12:30 pm

glasses make women look sexy AND intelligent. likeme, Ryalyn and all other sexy wapsi ladies. :D
amazon princess
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby MsFrisby on Fri May 06, 2005 3:46 pm

I am legally blind without corrective lenses. I wear gas permeable contacts and glasses (though not at the same time). I would get LASIK surgery in a heartbeat if I had the money. Glasses alone do not get the blood pumping for me. It's definitely the whole package.
"Graze on my lips; and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie."
-- William Shakespeare --
MsFrisby
Keenspot Deity

Postby DeaExMachina on Fri May 06, 2005 4:45 pm

Instead of perfect 20/20 vision I have 20/1.5. Everything goes fuzzy at my elbow. I like girls who actually need them as oppossed to those fakers that are so easy to find on the wired.
This post is a Catgirl Respawn Point.
DeaExMachina
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby PrettyPrincess on Fri May 06, 2005 7:42 pm

I can see to about 2, 2.5 feet away - after that, everything is blurrier than an impressionist painting.
PrettyPrincess
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby kinako mochi on Fri May 06, 2005 8:19 pm

Gotcha both -- my hand becomes clear at one hand's width from my nose
Then light
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby MsFrisby on Fri May 06, 2005 9:06 pm

same here, kinako. I can't even read the largest letter on the eye chart without my glasses/contacts.
"Graze on my lips; and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie."
-- William Shakespeare --
MsFrisby
Keenspot Deity

Postby magus9500 on Sat May 07, 2005 9:26 am

I have to put my glasses on to see the girls wearing glasses.

Eeeew Warning: I'm so near-sighted in my left eye that the retina detached itself and had to be buckled back in place. The surgery went well, so my retina is no longer flapping in the breeze blowing between my ears. :lol:

Magus
magus9500
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to The Wapsi Pub