Dan Brown

Grab a scotch, Guinness or your favorite bottled water, put your feet up and relax. This is the Off-topic pub for the Wapsi fans. Cigar smoking is allowed.

Moderator: pablo

Dan Brown

Postby Sionide on Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:10 pm

Oh my god, controversial.

The Da Vinci Code - who's read it? I'm about half way through so no spoilers. Who likes it? What do people think? Everyone know that Tom Hanks is gonna play Langdon in the upcoming film of the book?

Thoughts please!
[ Synthetic Intelligent Organism Normally for Infiltration and Dangerous Exploration ]
Sionide
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby kinako mochi on Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:21 pm

Audrey Tautou would make a wonderful Sophie. ;)
Then light
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby pablo on Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:44 pm

I haven't read it yet, but I'm not sure why everyones panties are in a knot over it. First of all, it's a work of fiction. Second, making a big deal out of it just draws more attention to it and makes people want to read it (the people against what the book has to say need to have a night class on how ignoring something will get it less air time in the media. Third, if the words in the book didn't change the minds of the people against the book, why in the hell do they think their words are going to change anyone elses?!
I love stories that involve some real history mixed with a little fiction/creative writing and a little "controversy". I'd love to read it sometime.
pablo
Keenspot Despot

Postby crypto on Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:45 pm

Ok story, but once you start picking it apart it falls to peices. I liked Angels and Demons better.
Current Goonmanji form:The game board

Infuego wrote:
crypto wrote:
"noskunkonskunkactionforyou".

We can dream can't we? Actually, I'm picturing Skunk on Ellen on Nan on skunk action.

Ooh, best idea I've heard today! Or read, i guess...

Quadraxis wrote:Crypto, your mind is a very disturbing sandwich. The kind of sandwich you decide not to eat and just let rot somewhere unnoticeable.
crypto
Keenspot Despot

Postby pablo on Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:52 pm

It may not be fair, having not read the book, but I saw a documentary on the "facts" in the book, and they blew the book out of the water with a twenty inch gun. But that's not the point of the book as I understand it. It's a work of fiction and should spark conversation. :D
pablo
Keenspot Despot

Postby Burger Nerf on Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:15 pm

pablo wrote:I haven't read it yet, but I'm not sure why everyones panties are in a knot over it. First of all, it's a work of fiction. Second, making a big deal out of it just draws more attention to it and makes people want to read it (the people against what the book has to say need to have a night class on how ignoring something will get it less air time in the media. Third, if the words in the book didn't change the minds of the people against the book, why in the hell do they think their words are going to change anyone elses?!
I love stories that involve some real history mixed with a little fiction/creative writing and a little "controversy". I'd love to read it sometime.

Because those who would control us through fear and hate need a new, fresh--and phony--"insidious threat" every so often. Most of the people raising such hell over this book will never read it; they don't need to. They just need an image, true or not, for their "flock" to collectively crap themselves over.

And when their campaign fails--in part because of the controversy they themselves generated--they'll gather that flock closer together and whisper in their ears: "See? It's just you and me against the wicked, wicked, wicked world. Gimme money."

EDIT: *notes Ryalyn's reply*

Okay, I can see where using the word "flock" can get me in hot water. I'm not kicking Christianity as a whole, though. Just that...what, subgroup?...that screams a promise of fire and brimstone for judges and doctors and professors and anyone who does not submit to their ideology.

I don't think Fred Phelps and Jerry Falwell belong to the same religion as Jesus.

Fairly subtle satire for a sprite comic.
Last edited by Burger Nerf on Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burger Nerf
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ryalyn on Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:57 pm

:-? Edges away from Berger Nerf.

I've never read it. I can't believe all the stuff that's come up because of it. And I'm sad that the Christian community is getting an even worse rap because of it.

From what I understand, the problem that people are having with it is because it's kind of fuzzy what's real or not, what's been investigated or not. And, well, just some of the ideas given, fictional or not, are rather upsetting to some.

I should probably read it before I say more, though.
Unicorn bait

A kitty is a young cat and a canoe is made of plastic and I have no idea what you're all laughing at.
Ryalyn
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tanukitsune on Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:31 pm

Actually... I read while it multitasking, I was playing a game at the time, thank God for turn based RPGs, you can just mash the buttons while doing something else! :P

The books riddles weren't that hard, some were even easy, but hey, I encounter puzzles and riddles like those everyday in adventure games!

BTW, this would make a great adventure game! It reminds me of Gabriel Knight and Broken Sowrd, which, AFAIR, were made before this book...
Having nothing to worry about makes me nervous...
Tanukitsune
Keenspot Despot

Postby crypto on Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:25 am

Ryalyn wrote:I've never read it. I can't believe all the stuff that's come up because of it. And I'm sad that the Christian community is getting an even worse rap because of it.

From what I understand, the problem that people are having with it is because it's kind of fuzzy what's real or not, what's been investigated or not. And, well, just some of the ideas given, fictional or not, are rather upsetting to some.

Likely i'm sturing a kettle of fish that I realy should leave alone.

I realy don't understand why people are so upset about this.

While the ideas presented in Brown's book are not new, his research and writeing are slipshod and in a number of places compleatly in error. The Lost Gosipals and Dosser Secerts do not support the thought Jesus and Mary where lovers and that their desendents where watched over by a secret society. One is a collection of damaged papers the other is of dubious origens and could likely be fake.

While I fully think that most likely Jesus did have some form of a relationship with a woman, as in those days they arried early and he being unmarried would have been worth noteing by his followers, she might not have been Mary Magnaline. ". . .And he was made Man" implies to me that He lived a normal life up to his takeing to preaching and subsequent death.

Also so love those who claim that there are hidden mesaages in the Bible. Sure there may be, but you would need the origenal text to find them, not some modern translation.
Current Goonmanji form:The game board

Infuego wrote:
crypto wrote:
"noskunkonskunkactionforyou".

We can dream can't we? Actually, I'm picturing Skunk on Ellen on Nan on skunk action.

Ooh, best idea I've heard today! Or read, i guess...

Quadraxis wrote:Crypto, your mind is a very disturbing sandwich. The kind of sandwich you decide not to eat and just let rot somewhere unnoticeable.
crypto
Keenspot Despot

Postby azalea2 on Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:48 pm

Read it; it was an amusing piece of fluff. I wouldn't call it deep or anything, but well, I'm not in agreement with the bestseller lists as to what i think is "good".
You don't know me.
azalea2
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby EdSaari on Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:54 am

I've read The DaVinci Code.

The net result was not that I believed every word, and my entire concept of the world and any of its religions was absolutely and irrevokably changed ... but it did make me THINK!

There are those religions, and religious sects who are ADAMANTLY opposed to "free thought" - they label it "doubt"

One wonders about the confidence that some have in the truth of their religious beliefs, if they are so sensitive to anyone saying, or even thinking the the words, "What if..."

Truth is stronger than anything, including dogma.
Carpe Erratum!!!
EdSaari
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to The Wapsi Pub