Sadness

Grab a scotch, Guinness or your favorite bottled water, put your feet up and relax. This is the Off-topic pub for the Wapsi fans. Cigar smoking is allowed.

Moderator: pablo

Sadness

Postby Ryalyn on Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:44 pm

For those who haven't heard.

Lights a candle.

Be at peace.
Unicorn bait

A kitty is a young cat and a canoe is made of plastic and I have no idea what you're all laughing at.
Ryalyn
Keenspot Despot

Postby BathroomKey on Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:13 pm

Also lights a candle.

27 years of leading an entire faith. He had a great work ethic. Sad, but he ran a good course. Hopfully, there will be more to benefit in this loss.
"Y'all looking for the only truth and it doesn't even exist" - Pops
BathroomKey
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby kinako mochi on Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:16 pm

Representatives of all major faiths attended the funeral. It was a sad day for such a hard-working person. 84 is a full life though, considering the responsibility and stresses he no doubt suffered constantly. Not too shabby for a cardinal virtually pinch-hitting for the unexpectedly-short reign of John Paul I, and the first non-Italian Pope in 455 years.

Hopefully, the Church will elect a new Pope a bit less conservative than John Paul II, though. The cracks in the Catholic church in 2005 are making a lot of its faithful suffer greatly. I feel a reckoning of sorts is in the coming. :(

His faith system may have had flaws, but whose doesn't. He was genuine, and dedicated to his beliefs, which gave him great strength. His quarryman's hands and shoulders were rugged enough to accept the much tougher job of carrying the hearts and minds of his followers, and the sometimes thorny quill of the respect of detractors, with grace and determination.

Many are glad he's passed on, but most people I feel are saddened by his passing.
Then light
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kestralyn on Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:44 pm

kinako mochi wrote:Many are glad he's passed on, but most people I feel are saddened by his passing.

I am gladdened at his passing; he has been so sick for so long. It's comforting to know that his pain has eased. And that his fellow travellers know he has been taken in by their Deity.

I'm old enough to remember both of the JP Conclaves. I remember being annoyed that my Saturday morning cartoons were being pre-empted by coverage of a huge old building and what color smoke was coming out of its chimney! Once I got older, I realized that I had unwittingly witnessed history in the making.

I am also saddened by his death; he has been a constant in the world for almost three decades. I may not agree with a lot of what he held dear, but I respected the man. Many truly mourn his loss, and I am sad for them.

*lifts her lager and lime to the sky and proposes a toast*

To Karol Wojtyla! May he rest in peace!
"Wherever a dancer stands ready, there is a holy place" - Martha Graham
"and where she walks, there are sequins" - any Raqs Sharqi dancer
Kestralyn
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby amazon princess on Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:07 am

May he rest in peace. He was maybe a man but I admired him anyways.
amazon princess
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to The Wapsi Pub