Shits n' giggles

Grab a scotch, Guinness or your favorite bottled water, put your feet up and relax. This is the Off-topic pub for the Wapsi fans. Cigar smoking is allowed.

Moderator: pablo

Postby Elfbiter on Tue May 17, 2005 10:36 pm

crypto wrote:"Oh hell, we've got another story on our hands. I recognise this blade. Comes from Llyde Alexander's High King saga. I'm not sure if i'll be able to draw it if I need it."

Elfbiter helps Crypto clean his clothes and looks at the blade.

- You are sure this is the original? Otherwise it should be easy. If you are adopted or of low social standing, it is guaranteed that you are the rightful heir of the throne. The only problem is which one of the ladies will end up being your Love Interest and the future queen.

Crypto frowns and looks at Elfbiter.

- Exactly how much fantasy you know?

Elfbiter flashes a sad, weary smile.

- Too much, obviously.

---

To BK: Pick up the Tough Guide to Fantasyland by Diana Wynne Jones; it will give you rather good and tongue-in-cheek overview of standard fantasy conventions
---
Living is easy with eyes closed.
Elfbiter
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby crypto on Wed May 18, 2005 4:42 am

And i thought I was bad. No I'm not sure if this is the origenal, but it has the ear marks of being. Scraped off inscription here, "Only those of noble birth/worth can draw this blade" or something like that. Been a while since I read that one.
Current Goonmanji form:The game board

Infuego wrote:
crypto wrote:
"noskunkonskunkactionforyou".

We can dream can't we? Actually, I'm picturing Skunk on Ellen on Nan on skunk action.

Ooh, best idea I've heard today! Or read, i guess...

Quadraxis wrote:Crypto, your mind is a very disturbing sandwich. The kind of sandwich you decide not to eat and just let rot somewhere unnoticeable.
crypto
Keenspot Despot

Postby Rubio on Wed May 18, 2005 11:50 am

Rubio rolls his eyes as a small wind starts to pick up.

-Well, this'll bring a whole load of problems

Yes, that seems likely Crypto responds.

-Now that you'll have a romantic subplot to contend with, your key quest just got a lot more complicated.

Elfbiter looks down the field in consternation and presses a finger to his temple, one of his eyes twitching, as clouds start to roll in overhead.

-The next logical branch is whether the potential love interest holds the lock or door to the key and/or knows or is being held by some nefarious villian who does

Rubio tunes out and turns to face the wind, rather admiring the look that the darkening clouds closing in are giving the field. Pale white sunlight loses ground on brush swaying in the wind. The whole scene looks like something out of a fantasy artbook. I suppose that shouldn't come as a surprise, considering where we are, he muses to himself as he takes a deep breath.

He stops mid-inhale. A phantasmal lightbulb all but sputters to life over his head, Beavis & Butthead-style. He exhales before the held breath prompts him to pass out and turns to the others

"Now, Biter, lemmie make sure I got you clearly here..."

Elfbiter turns his attention from Crypto impatiently.

"There will be problems if someone, quote: 'smells like a protagonist', right?"

-Yep.

"You seem to know an awful lot about what's going on here, at least enough to be making dismissive comments."

-Look-

"SO! That makes you something of a sage slash mentor slash infodump source, right?"

Elfbiter falls silent, suddenly realizing the state of the weather and where this is likely heading.

"AND, isn't the protagonist getting knowledge from a mentor yet another staple of literature? Like say, explaining the rules and postulating on the effects of a recently-discovered and obviously-magical weapon?"

Nobody moves. A feeling of paranoia begins to enter the minds of the pubbers. After a moment, Elfbiter looks to be ready to respond, but Kestralyn forestalls argument by shooting her arm outward and pointing to the north.

"Guys, I'd say we definitely have problems," she growls.

A trio of dark riders appear, cresting a hill perhaps a quarter-mile away and closing with the pubbers. All wear identical black cloaks that rest gently despite their gallop, speaking of great skill in the saddle.

Worse than ringwraiths?

Cloaks at rest despite a gallop. And the wind. Great skill in the saddle or-

"Myrrdral."

Rubio reaches to the lightsaber tucked at the small of his back, figuring that the chances of outrunning a rider with relatively little cover are not good. He turns a sardonic grin in Elfbiter's direction.

"Time for the dramatic battle to signal the rising action, eh? I think I'm going to take this one- and likely only- opportunity to say: 'You and your big mouth.' "
"To the right, books; to the left, a tea-cup.
In front of me, the fireplace; behind me, the post.
There is no greater happiness than this."
-Teiga
Rubio
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby crypto on Wed May 18, 2005 12:20 pm

Nope not adopted, not lowly peasent either. Hows that crimp things? Not that I'd mind some romance. . . Crypto said before the riders appeared.

He straps the blade, who's name he is desperatly trying to remeber, across his back under his cloak.

How about this old favorite; i've got a bad feeling about this. . . Crypto said, wrapeing his hand around the hilt of the blade. What I wouldn't give for this to be the Sword of Leah. . . Ok what the hell?

The blade's form had rippled, the hilt remainging relitively the same exsept now it was set with a pale red stone, and the blade slid easly from the scabard. The blade shown black, with swirls of green mist seeming locked just below the surface.

This is new. . . Wait, can it be possable I'm rewriteing small things in reality?

Infuego wrote:
crypto wrote:

We can dream can't we? Actually, I'm picturing Skunk on Ellen on Nan on skunk action.

Quadraxis wrote:Crypto, your mind is a very disturbing sandwich. The kind of sandwich you decide not to eat and just let rot somewhere unnoticeable.
crypto
Keenspot Despot

Postby kinako mochi on Wed May 18, 2005 9:51 pm

Here is one of the masks I promised. Little too late to work on the second one; need to get to bed -- I got promoted yesterday, and have to learn some mgmt stuff tomorrow
Last edited by kinako mochi on Fri May 20, 2005 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Then light
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby crypto on Thu May 19, 2005 7:36 pm

Other then the frowny baby face, I like it.

Infuego wrote:
crypto wrote:

crypto
Keenspot Despot

Postby kinako mochi on Thu May 19, 2005 10:10 pm

Z, any comments? I won't be able to make the other mask tonite; have to go in tomorrow for some training
Then light
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby azalea2 on Fri May 20, 2005 8:15 am

Kinako, i like. =)
You don't know me.
azalea2
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby kinako mochi on Sat May 21, 2005 3:21 pm

Okay, folks
Then light
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby kinako mochi on Sat May 21, 2005 10:20 pm

Hoo, boy. This strip was a beaw to get out. I dunno, I was having trouble concentrating, and drawing was soooo hard today for some reason
Then light
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ryalyn on Mon May 23, 2005 4:59 am

Awwww! Kestralopod is soooooo cute!!!!!

Wonderful job, again, Kinako! Love the little flower and the skull speech bubble. But Kestralopod is the best part of the whole strip! Yea!! :D

I'm glad you're getting back into this again. Keep up the fantastic work!!

*huggles*
Unicorn bait

A kitty is a young cat and a canoe is made of plastic and I have no idea what you're all laughing at.
Ryalyn
Keenspot Despot

Postby Kestralyn on Mon May 23, 2005 9:06 am

Chibi Kestralopod!!!! <girly squeal>eeeeeeeeeee!</girly squeal>
"Wherever a dancer stands ready, there is a holy place" - Martha Graham
"and where she walks, there are sequins" - any Raqs Sharqi dancer
Kestralyn
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Rubio on Mon May 23, 2005 11:11 am

more! more!
"To the right, books; to the left, a tea-cup.
In front of me, the fireplace; behind me, the post.
There is no greater happiness than this."
-Teiga
Rubio
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby kinako mochi on Mon May 23, 2005 7:37 pm

Thenks, Pubbers! Now you know why the Kestralopod survived -- the explosion never happened, due to the superstring crochet work of a certain Zella and the infamous "xyzzy" command. :D

I tried to portray that she kinda dropped into the world like the others and tried to schlep over to the nearest source of water, the puddle at the rain gutter drain.

Tune in this week to see what our heroes do with a melt-your-face kewt dehydrated chibilopod in the middle of the desert! :D
Then light
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby BathroomKey on Tue May 24, 2005 9:12 am

Nothing new, but I had to say great artwork! :D .
"Y'all looking for the only truth and it doesn't even exist" - Pops
BathroomKey
Keenspotter Supreme

Previous

Return to The Wapsi Pub