Shits n' giggles

Grab a scotch, Guinness or your favorite bottled water, put your feet up and relax. This is the Off-topic pub for the Wapsi fans. Cigar smoking is allowed.

Moderator: pablo

Postby Kestralyn on Fri May 13, 2005 6:04 am

kinako mochi wrote:*wipes brow, cancels hissy-fit*

Whew. I may be blunt, but certain things I need to know. Please pardon my dorkiness, and carry on!

I'm intrigued with your writing style, and that just got in the way. I'm glad I don't have to worry about it anymore, and can just enjoy the lurkin'/sporadic contributin' for now. ;)

*braces for ribbing of life by Rubio and Ryalyn* :D

What, you think you're gonna get some R&R for being sensitive about your writing? :lol:

Nope, you're just stuck with me... married to a budding author with far thicker skin than some of the others in his writing group ;-)
"Wherever a dancer stands ready, there is a holy place" - Martha Graham
"and where she walks, there are sequins" - any Raqs Sharqi dancer
Kestralyn
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby kinako mochi on Fri May 13, 2005 11:41 am

Hehe! This author thing is WAY harder than I thought it was going to be. Then again, being someone for whom life at one time came rather easily, it's a humbling thing to have happen in your mid-'30s. :lol:

I suppose it's not being able to contribute that's made me sensitive. I noticed while I was writing regularly that not too many people added their own posts, which I'll chalk up to lack of interest. Only when I stopped writing did the others post. That's a sobering realization. ;)

Good luck to your husband on his writing! It's a hard gig; everyone's a critic, and many rightly so. Stuff in books should be the best, and hard, honest, Simon-Cowell-type commentary makes for the best stuff, despite what you may think about it at the time. ;)

"Hard roads bring good people. Good roads bring bad people."

-- Unidentified couple from the tip of Baja California, commenting on the change in people visiting for the Baja 1000 when roads became available

;)
Last edited by kinako mochi on Fri May 13, 2005 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Then light
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kestralyn on Fri May 13, 2005 12:05 pm

kinako mochi wrote:I suppose it's not being able to contribute that's made me sensitive. I noticed while I was writing regularly that not too many people added their own posts, which I'll chalk up to lack of interest. Only when I stopped writing did the others post. That's a sobering realization. ;)

Uh, sorry Babe. You've got that wrong. I can only speak for myself, but I suspect I'm not the only person who was just watching, entranced, to see where you were taking us. I know we yammer at each other like we hang out non-virtually, but we're still getting to know each other. For me, it was like picking up a book by a totally unknow author. Liked the writing style, but don't know enough about the person to have any clue where we're going next.

Unless you meant lack of interest in ADDING to what you were doing... and even then, I think you're wrong. You'll notice that more folks started to add to the story as you moved along. Again, getting a feel for what's gong on before jumping in.

EXAMPLE: I never actually played text-based adventure games; I was a Pac-Man and Centipede kid. I didn't understand the commands y'all were dropping into the story. So when we did get to something I thought I could play with (orbital laser and filling the house with popcorn -- what movie was that?) I added a little bit.

Any chance this three-day weekend might produce a strip?
*hugs*
Kestralyn
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby azalea2 on Fri May 13, 2005 2:09 pm

movie: Real Genius

and loved your writing, Kinako; just would rather watch than talk. (also wish you had more time for cartooning - excellent there!)
You don't know me.
azalea2
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby kinako mochi on Fri May 13, 2005 4:12 pm

*feels like a dork, suffering advanced foot-in-mouth disease*

Waow
Then light
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ryalyn on Fri May 13, 2005 5:32 pm

Sticks her nose into the conversation.

Yeah, the reason I didn't write much when you were writing a lot, Kinako, was because I was so curious to know where you were taking us all. I really enjoy reading what you write so it's a lot more fun for me to just sit back and watch when you're on a roll and taking us all along with you.

(Course, right now, I'm really confused about where you left me. :-?)

Pulls Kinako's foot out of his mouth, plants it on the floor in front of his desk, and sits looking over his shoulder, watching him draw.

So . . . do I get to see how you changed my avachar? And we still haven't seen most of the cast. ;) But that's probably really annoying, so I'll go do something else and let you be.

Runs off to check her costume for tomorrow's Faire.
Unicorn bait

A kitty is a young cat and a canoe is made of plastic and I have no idea what you're all laughing at.
Ryalyn
Keenspot Despot

Postby kinako mochi on Fri May 13, 2005 11:27 pm

Welp, where the story is concerned, things aren't going to be as clear anymore, since I am sharing volleying with Cryp, and EB, who is as equally a focus of my readership as you have been to mine; his style is interesting, in the way he handles dialog and interaction. His pace and rhythm are totally different from mine as well. ;)

Ry, you and BK and the Satyrists (BK and the Satyrists! Performing a cover of Pac Man Fever! :D ) are in Bree/Brie, going in the gate. From my posts anyway, expect hilarity to ensue with a creamy sharp vengeance. :D

Your avachar is waaaay different from the first few strips. A slight concern is the way the new (and to me, far better) Ryalyn will fit visually into my written S&G adaptation, as that was written with the old fairy in mind. Prolly being dorky again. :D
Then light
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby kinako mochi on Sat May 14, 2005 1:53 pm

'Kay, azalea -- need your vote, m'lady. ;)

I spent the morning at a coffee shop today trying to figure out Zella's mask -- I had an image in my head during the writing of the S&G story, but in the strip I decided her mask should be more meaningful and less superhero-y.

Here are four choices I sketched out
Then light
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby kinako mochi on Sat May 14, 2005 2:07 pm

And to prevent our Ryalyn a'sploding, here is the new Ry -- "Kylene" to her friends. :D

Notice how much more round her face is, much like the Ryalyn I drew in the strip as I get run over by Pablo on the Segway, but I've de-runway'd her body for future strips, and made her more curvy, more real. ;)

I've also incorporated more of the real Ryalyn's facial features -- smile, nose, and her posturing from all of the photos I've seen. More fun, less cheesecake. ;)

As always, auntie Ky -- let us know what you think, precious! :D
Then light
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

WAZZZZ UUUUPP ???

Postby BathroomKey on Sat May 14, 2005 3:49 pm

::Sees an opportunity to jump in::

I can't speak for Ry, but that is a nice sketch. I'm glad the storyline is taking a break so I could pop in to say "hello" and say that I'm looking forward to when I'll be able to start writing again.

kinako mochi wrote:

Ry, you and BK and the Satyrists (BK and the Satyrists! Performing a cover of Pac Man Fever! ) are in Bree/Brie, going in the gate.

Clueless. Still, very glad to be a part of the story but I had to ask Ry about what were Satyrists (guys with ram horns who go out causing trouble apparently...right Ry?). So, I'm a little lost when we're dealing with a lot fantasy material :-? . I'm sure I'll find the right place to jump in when things start to settle down in my own world :D .

Later 8) .
"Y'all looking for the only truth and it doesn't even exist" - Pops
BathroomKey
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ryalyn on Sat May 14, 2005 7:16 pm

Ooooo!!!! I LOVE it, Kinako! I've even got a cute cross necklace!

BK, all the information I'm going is from Wikipedia. Go do some research, boy! ;)

Will write more after she's slept.
Unicorn bait

A kitty is a young cat and a canoe is made of plastic and I have no idea what you're all laughing at.
Ryalyn
Keenspot Despot

Postby BathroomKey on Sat May 14, 2005 7:52 pm

::Sigh::

Ryalyn wrote:

BK, all the information I'm going is from Wikipedia. Go do some research, boy!

Ry, you of all people know I shouldn't even be surfing the forums right now. I just got to do me for the time being, ya know? :wink: :lol: . Once I can stand up straight without my knees buckling, I'll get into to this new Wikipedia site (this site may be common knowledge for many people but is new for me...and was also was very informative when azalea2 linked to the site of what a "troll" is a while back.).

I am sooo going to need a strong cup of black coffee tomorrow. Work on a Sunday? Grrr. I'm going to have to bring it tommorow 8) . If I post tomorrow, someone please call me out. Hey, c'mon self-discipline is never easy right? :D :oops:.

Love and Respect all
"Y'all looking for the only truth and it doesn't even exist" - Pops
BathroomKey
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby kinako mochi on Sun May 15, 2005 9:06 pm

And he's under the wire. :D

I did take some liberties with the written story -- we're moving a bit faster through the initial scenes to get to the good stuff, and some of the stuff that sounds cool as posted had to be cut out or replaced with other story elements. Unfortunately, I ran out of room to introduce our next char
Then light
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby azalea2 on Sun May 15, 2005 9:51 pm

hmmm.... hmmm... *bites lower lip*

Argh! This is hard. I don't like 1; a mask hides one's true nature, and that one seems sad, aggrieved, perhaps angry. I would probably have a mask of peace, calm. Or perhaps it would be more accurate to say a mask appears how you would like to appear, hence flowing and acceptance.

I like the leaf and violin-swirls on 3; I like the tree on 4. I'm not sure how i feel about 2; I've flopped between thinking it's my favorite and next-to-least favorite several times. 4 has the most emotional impact on me.

This is a better picture of my avatar of wary trust/mistrust. This and this have links to the masks of other characters in his comic series. This is a print I have; I love the colors, drawing style, symbolism.

However, that's all somebody else's work, not yours, and not me...
You don't know me.
azalea2
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby kinako mochi on Mon May 16, 2005 3:53 am

Cool! I'll figure out something to use those masks' features you like, and make another two out them; another choice will get posted on Wed night; that's my first 8-hr day of the week this week. ;)

Drawing the strip was way fun! I found myself rushing a bit to get in under the time limit, but I think it came out okay despite that
Then light
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby crypto on Mon May 16, 2005 3:59 am

Guess I should get around to posting a pic on the Wapsi fan thread before you get to me.
Current Goonmanji form:The game board

Infuego wrote:
crypto wrote:
"noskunkonskunkactionforyou".

We can dream can't we? Actually, I'm picturing Skunk on Ellen on Nan on skunk action.

Ooh, best idea I've heard today! Or read, i guess...

Quadraxis wrote:Crypto, your mind is a very disturbing sandwich. The kind of sandwich you decide not to eat and just let rot somewhere unnoticeable.
crypto
Keenspot Despot

Postby kinako mochi on Mon May 16, 2005 4:04 am

No worries; that'll be a while. :)

My creation of your avachar is based on your avatar, plus pics, plus your personality posting, so they all play a part. If one is missing, I simply use what I have. Especially in S&G Book Two, you're a pretty major char, so rest assured you're gonna have an avachar! ;)
Then light
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kestralyn on Mon May 16, 2005 6:44 am

[quote="kinako mochi"]Unfortunately, I ran out of room to introduce our next char
Kestralyn
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Rubio on Mon May 16, 2005 12:19 pm

Allow me to chime in with my own thoughts that your writing was great. I think it helps make this shared fiction a neat experience. Your style is heavy and dramatic while mine is flippant and (I hope) self-deprecating. The contrast is neat to see. And your art is phenomenal. Do more. NOW!

We now return you to the regularly-scheduled plot
---

"Shuriken catapults? Hm. Yeah, I guess that would be bad... and there's been a whole lot of ridiculous stuff introduced into that setting. As for our quest..."

Rubio paces while trying to wrap his brain around the situation. Everyone can almost hear rusty gears straining against each other with a screech of tortured metal.

"Fairly standard stuff. We have a set of keys. Two outta three, being as that we found the lock to one. We're here in good 'aul Middle Earth- and doesn't legolas have a nice big forehead to put my seal of approval on."

The jaws of all assembled drop halfway open.

"Uhh..."

Rubio lifts his leg and extends it outward. On the tread of his boot is what looks like an insignia of a chibi/kowai (as in scary) rubio mug with shark teeth jutting upward from the lower lip and a middle finger on each side of it over the depiction of a long-haired individual with a fist buried in his face, with the logo "RUBIO'S BOOTPRINT SEAL OF APPROVAL. APPLY TO FOREHEAD"

"This logo, you loonies."

"You actually had your boots made like that?"

"Actually, only since I've been involved with this bit of wierdness. Trust me, when you mentioned eldar and shurikens, I started thinking howling banshees. Maybe harlequins. Elf chicks dancing with swords..."

Rubio blinks, his survival instinct kicking in a second too late

"That was a really stupid thing to say, wasn't it?"
---

Suddenly, Ryalyn's antennae perk straight up and she develops a pronounced facial tic. For no immediately explicable reason, she feels the need to punch someone in the chin.

---

Anime-style, Kestralyn's fist comes down in a noogie-punch on Rubio's head.

"Okay. I deserved that."

Elfbiter regards him quizzically.

"So you're the resident lech?"

"Not really," Rubio responds, rubbing his head, "I'm just not very smart. And the pipe leading to my mouth doesn't seem to go through my brain."

"'Sides, if I was a real lech, my girlfriend wouldn't like me nearly as much."

Rubio suddenly looks like he's very far away.

"I wonder what she's doing now..."

---

There is a patter of hobbit feet and the sound of several locks and chains being taken down from a door to a comfortable hobbit hole.

"Gandalf, you've already shown me the pointy hat trick."

Kinako's eyes bug out through the box on his head for second as the door creaks open. Surely the slash fangirls couldn't have been right. Rooted to the spot in stunned terror, he watches as the door finishes swinging open and someone who is not Bilbo Baggins steps forward

"Fooled ya, didn't I?" The Pablobbit smirks.
"To the right, books; to the left, a tea-cup.
In front of me, the fireplace; behind me, the post.
There is no greater happiness than this."
-Teiga
Rubio
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby crypto on Mon May 16, 2005 2:23 pm

"Actually, only since I've been involved with this bit of wierdness. Trust me, when you mentioned eldar and shurikens, I started thinking howling banshees. Maybe harlequins. Elf chicks dancing with swords..."

mmmm Elf chicks. . . Crypto thinks before snapping out of the oh so lovely daydream he was haveing involveing scantaly clad and very flexable and energetic elf maidens.

Infuego wrote:
crypto wrote:

We can dream can't we? Actually, I'm picturing Skunk on Ellen on Nan on skunk action.

Quadraxis wrote:Crypto, your mind is a very disturbing sandwich. The kind of sandwich you decide not to eat and just let rot somewhere unnoticeable.
crypto
Keenspot Despot

Postby Ryalyn on Tue May 17, 2005 7:31 am

:o Cool!!!!

Very well done, Kinako! I love the chibis and the sparklies for the disappearing Kestralopod and the look of the frame where you're yelling "Kylene! Behind the car!!!" and the hubcaps on the car and the look of the house and, oh! my new look and, and, and . . . . *ahem* :D Very well done. What's the thing in the lower right hand corner?

I've gotta tell y'all--it's weird seeing my name in there. I like it, it's just weird.

:lol: Somebody catch Kes!

Runs after crypto with her bat.
Unicorn bait

Ryalyn
Keenspot Despot

Postby Elfbiter on Tue May 17, 2005 11:05 am

Well, if you still tolerate my antics...

---

Elfbiter manually snaps his snout shut in order not to laugh. His shoulders heave for a couple of minutes.

- Now, those boots would create some interesting debate in crop circle discussion boards.

Elfbiter pulls out a handkerchief decorated with nordic runes and blows his nose.

- I'm afraid you probably would not appreciate aldryami "babes". Their body is also plant-based, for one, and after they'd have had their fun with you, they'd probably use your bodies for fertilizer.

Rubio suddenly feels less lecherous - except for the still faraway Important Other.

- Now, we probably should concentrate on other matters, Elfbiter coughs. - The keys. They have many forms of symbolism, some of them rather carnal. Opening, closing, initiation, discretion. I wonder who is the gatekeeper?

Crypto's eyes open in a vigorous manner.

- Ouch!

- Excuse me? More complications?

- I dreamed that Ryalyn crushed my skull with a baseball bat. But she is not the previous place any more.

- Well, where is she now?

- I think it might be Bree. Read something of it somewhere sometimes...

Elfbiter makes a face as if he'd seen the Charge of the Light Brigade coming towards himself riding green leopards. He pulls Crypto up.

- If you cannot walk, I'll carry you. We have to find the baskethead and then depart in post haste. And we better try our best not to follow the local narrative compulsion to scenic routes.

- What it is?

- What used to be Bree attracts now totally different clientele. It is the place of the First Confrontation. Ringwraiths, even with their fell beasts, would be easy pickings compared to some of the creatures that monitor the place. And if they sense somebody that even smells like a protagonist, more than one wants to thrust its unpleasant nose to that particular affair. Usually at the same time.

Elfbiter picks up his quarterstaff and mutters under his breath:

- Quite a feat for a village that was named after a town in Belgium.
---
Living is easy with eyes closed.
Elfbiter
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby crypto on Tue May 17, 2005 2:55 pm

I can walk. Bloody hell, I think a welt is riseing, even though it was all in my head. Crypto said dropping to the ground rubbing his head.

Thanks by the way. I don't think I'll be removeing this cahin for a while. Shoot, that means I don't have mt war cat form, I'm defence. . . oops. Um Biter, mind pulling me out of this hole? his voice echoed up from the hole that had swolloed him.

Elfbiter reaches down with a slightly exasperated look, amazed at how troublesome Crypto has become in such a short span of time.

"As and ye shale receive" Crypto said grinning when he was raised to ground level clutching a battered black scabard with a plain steel hit.

"Oh hell, we've got another story on our hands. I recognise this blade. Comes from Llyde Alexander's High King saga. I'm not sure if i'll be able to draw it if I need it."
Last edited by crypto on Tue May 17, 2005 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Infuego wrote:
crypto wrote:

crypto
Keenspot Despot

Postby kinako mochi on Tue May 17, 2005 6:08 pm

Ryalyn wrote::o Cool!!!!

Very well done, Kinako! I love the chibis and the sparklies for the disappearing Kestralopod

Oops! That was supposed to be Pablo
Then light
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ryalyn on Tue May 17, 2005 7:31 pm

[quote="kinako mochi"]Oops! That was supposed to be Pablo
Unicorn bait

Ryalyn
Keenspot Despot

PreviousNext

Return to The Wapsi Pub